Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Faith and fact: You want to talk "Realistically?"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 2,909

Faith and fact: You want to talk "Realistically?"

Sep 19, 2014, 10:47 AM

Y'all know how it ticks me off when either misguided or mislabeled Tiger folks heap denunciations on our team, then couch their craven attacks with "Hey, I'm just being realistic ..."

I do not ascribe to blind faith. There are times when faith, even my unswerving belief in Clemson, may be a little tenuous than others. Saturday is not one of those times. And not just because King Crab will be on the sideline for the first half.

Here's why I believe Clemson will win Saturday night, in realistic numbers:

The first number: 6 vs. 40. That's total defense: Clemson is 6th in total defense, FSU is 40th.

Even with that horribly embarrassing inability to stop Gurley, the Tigers allow 4.1 yards per play on D. FSU vs. a rebuilding Okie State and a moribund Citadel, allowed 4.9.

Neither team has acquitted itself honorably on rushing defense thus far, with both out of the Top 50. But FSU hasn't faced Gurley and Chubb. Instead, they are allowing nearly 5 yards per carry to just about anyone who shows in in the opposing backfield. Think our guys are salivating at the chance to try their luck?

Clemson, on the other hand, gave up half the distance to the moon to Chubb and Gurley. But nobody else. And FS doesn't have a Chubb or Gurley. They have Dalvin Cook and Carlos Williams, two very good backs. But nothing better than we've seen already.

Now, let's talk team passing efficiency: The number there 5 vs. 50-plus. Clemson is fifth nationally in passing defense efficiency, FSU nowhere to be seen.

Red Zone Defense: Clemson 10th, FSU nowhere to be seen.

First Down Defense: Clemson second, FSU 31st

Third Down Conversion Defense: Clemson ninth, FSU not in the Top 50.

I also casually note that the Tigers hold these edges despite not having three defensive starters at Georgia. Y'all don't think those bodies would have made a difference? You've got more faith in the ethereal than I do, then...

------

Now, how about offense?

Florida State averages 327 yards passing ... pretty impressive. Clemson averages 335 per game ... also pretty impressive. Call it a push, except, of course, Crabby will be missing for half the game.

But who did those yards come against, and who got them? FSU has Rashad Greene, a dang good receiver. Bracket him and more than half their passing years vanish. Clemson has ... well you know who we have. Bracket one and it leaves two other targets. And since FSU isn't in the Top 50 in sacks and TFLs (Clemson is 4th, BTW) either of Clemson's QBs should have ample time to find a target.

Neither team is in the top 50 in rushing, and Clemson has a slight edge (No. 16 vs. No. 20) in passing offense. The Tigers have a slight advantage in passing efficiency as well (24 vs. 38).

Clemson has faced unbridled hostility already this season, so I minimize the Doak factor ... perhaps more than I should. But the simple fact is, Doak hasn't scared our guys since 2004, and I don't anticipate it scaring anyone now.

I firmly believe Clemson will win. I believed it before Crabby unveiled his impromptu Redd Foxx performance in the student union, and I have no reason to feel less confident now.

There's faith, and there's fact: and both say Clemson will unleash snakes and strychnine Saturday night.

That's where I stand. Faith based on fact.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree Rev...

Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM

especially about missing 3 defensive players for the Georgia game.

I believe that was an anomaly... 13 minutes at the end of the game. We went into that 13 minutes outplaying the dogs and the demise started with a run up the middle by Gurley.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I figured out why you don't vote on posts much.

Sep 19, 2014, 10:58 AM

You're too busy typing your own to read the rest of the bored.

How shellfish of you.

BTW, TL:DR.

Re: Faith and fact: You want to talk "Realistically?"

Sep 19, 2014, 10:59 AM

Well said !

Re: Say Hallelujah!

Sep 19, 2014, 11:02 AM

Praise the Rev.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You tell'm REV .. WE CAN WIN THIS GAME !***

Sep 19, 2014, 11:03 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

after this.... there should be no more posts using the

Sep 19, 2014, 11:03 AM

"let's be realistic" then proceed to being negative..

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I've noticed that trend lately

Sep 19, 2014, 11:05 AM

Why does realism always seem to be negative? Depressing world some people live in

Clemson

Indeed: If folks want to be realistic...

Sep 19, 2014, 11:16 AM

..they should be required to use reality as their staring point.

Truth-in-posting should require them to change to "Hey! I'm just being unreasonably negative!"

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is something decidedly wrong about equating

Sep 19, 2014, 11:22 AM

"realistic" with "every reason we won't succeed."

null

and i read somewhere that ticket sales for the game are "bel

Sep 19, 2014, 11:15 AM

ow average" that means the doak factor should be even less of an advantage.

Not True

Sep 19, 2014, 1:39 PM

Buddy of mine just paid $200 apiece for 3 tickets on the first row (not ideal). He's a FSU fan & lives in Tampa.

Tickets are hard to find in Tally.

Sep 19, 2014, 11:24 AM

I believe Clemson ranks #2 in passing defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2014, 11:31 AM

AMEN REV !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish my faith were that skrong.***

Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If you have the faith of a crab leg, you can move mountains!***

Sep 19, 2014, 11:51 AM

oops there goes another rubb...

Sep 19, 2014, 11:52 AM

preach on rev! preach on

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow! There's a blast from the past!

Sep 19, 2014, 12:13 PM

Where's your d@mn rubber tree plant?

Them! haha...

Sep 19, 2014, 12:17 PM

high hopes, rev. keep em coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good 'un!***

Sep 19, 2014, 12:11 PM [ in reply to If you have the faith of a crab leg, you can move mountains!*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I don't think either team has been battle tested and....

Sep 19, 2014, 11:55 AM

...lived to declare they are world beaters. With that in mind I have every logical and illogical reason to believe we can win and have the talent to do it. I very much look forward to a Monday morning revisit of your stats whether or not we win.

I am very much looking forward to seeing a new tombstone with the inscriptions "#1 FSU".

I personally believe the UGAy debacle was a combination of the Clemson OL and the conservative play call by The Chad in the second half.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 on your last line... Totally agree.***

Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry: apparently the tombstone will read...

Sep 19, 2014, 12:16 PM [ in reply to I don't think either team has been battle tested and.... ]
tombstone.jpg(36.4 K)

...we have to include an asterisk.

Re: Sorry: apparently the tombstone will read...

Sep 20, 2014, 6:24 AM

Why Rev. Did the Dawgs win include an asterisk over the Tigers this year. Remember the Tigers where down 3 defensive and 1 offensive players due to suspension. IMO that contributed to the loss. Dabo is always saying you have to play the ones you have not the ones that are injured or suspension.

So, you're sayin' we got NO chance Rev?

Sep 19, 2014, 12:01 PM

Is that what I read you sayin'???

Preach, Preacher!!

Sep 19, 2014, 12:22 PM

AMEN and GO TIGERS!

Sep 20, 2014, 1:23 AM

I agree with your whole post but, before I read this, I posted that I honestly believe that David Beasley, Corey Crawford and Peters was the difference of us losing or winning the UGA game. Without them they won, with them I say we would have won....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am on board.

Sep 20, 2014, 6:42 AM

Lets take it to them

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Hael yea!

Sep 20, 2014, 7:13 AM

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 2,909
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive