Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU Clemson continue to expand talent divide in ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

FSU Clemson continue to expand talent divide in ACC

Nov 7, 2012, 3:49 PM

The Post and Courier
Florida State, Clemson continue to expand talent divide in ACC
Travis Sawchik

CLEMSON — For years there has been a growing talent divide in the ACC’s Atlantic Division.

Fact Box
ESPNU top 150 prospects signed from 2010-12

Florida State: 35

Clemson: 19

Rest of Atlantic Division: 5

Entire Coastal Division: 36

Combined 2012 records:

Florida State and Clemson: 16-2

Rest of division: 16-20

From 2006-09, Clemson signed 18 of the nation’s top 150 prospects, Florida State signed 14 and the rest of the division signed eight.

The talent gap increased over the last three recruiting cycles when Florida State signed 35 top 150 prospects, Clemson signed 19 and the rest of the division signed just five.

The recruiting disparity is beginning to show up on the playing field.

No. 10 Clemson (8-1, 5-1 ACC) and Florida State are tied atop the division and own a 16-2 combined record. The rest of the division is 16-20. Maryland (4-5, 2-3) had its first 10-loss season in program history in 2009, it endured another 10-loss season in its first season under coach Randy Edsall last fall, and is a 31-point underdog this weekend at Clemson — the largest point spread in an ACC game since 2000.

While Florida State and Clemson are rising, the rest of the ACC is in decline.

“I know Florida State has recruited well. I think we have recruited well. I’m just focused on Clemson, on building this into the best program we can be,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. “Everybody else has to focus on those issues.”

The talent divide has created not only an imbalance atop the Atlantic Division but in the conference in general.

From 2010-12, Florida State signed nearly as many top 150 prospects (35) as the entire Coastal Division (36). This season, the Coastal Division has been in turmoil. It will not have an attractive candidate to represent the division in the ACC title game.

Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris was asked if his offense has had an overwhelming talent advantage in nearly every game it has played this season.

“I don’t really look at it that way. It’s hard to say,” Morris said. “We’ve played some teams with a lot of talent. … We’ll see if we can’t create a mismatch. But overall, do I say, ‘we just got more talent and don’t have to work as hard this week?’ Absolutely not.”

Clemson and Florida State have benefitted from strong brands on the recruiting trail, and the recruiting has reached new levels of productivity under coaches Swinney and Jimbo Fisher, who are each regarded as able recruiters.

But can Clemson and Florida State sustain their recent impressive talent acquisition track records?

The task is easier for Florida State, which is located in one the three richest states for football talent. The others being Texas and California.

While Clemson is located in a small state, Swinney has successfully recruited in North Carolina and Georgia. And while there are just 4 million residents in South Carolina, there are about 7 million people within a two-hour drive of Clemson — with both Atlanta and Charlotte within that radius.

In the short term, the talent split is showing no signs of receding. Clemson and Florida State each have five top 150 recruits committed for 2013, and the rest of the division has none.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a really nice article. Gotta keep pulling them in.

Nov 7, 2012, 4:00 PM

Recruiting is huge to the equation. It is not the end all but it is huge.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do believe that for about the next decade

Nov 7, 2012, 4:04 PM

The Coastal division is going to be looking up to their big brothers on the Atlantic side FSU and Clemson. Would not surprise me if for the next decade every ACC championship was won by either us or the 'Noles.

I think Randy Edsal

Nov 7, 2012, 4:05 PM

is starting to build Maryland. They had a top 15 defense till injuries have killed them. Top freshman in the country with Diggs, kid is Sammy 2.0. But Clemson and FSU are on another level, but UM is gonna be a good team also

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree on Edsal although I'd like to know the team

Nov 7, 2012, 4:17 PM

barometer following the mass exodus they had leading up to this season. Miami is a different story. I think Golden is a great coach but I'm telling you the hammer is gonna bring pain once the NCAA swings it over the whole Shapiro deal.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic