Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FPI question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 979

FPI question

Dec 6, 2015, 4:18 PM

Does anyone know the actual science or logarithms or whatever that are behind it? I know they say they run 10.000 simulations but what numbers are they simulating?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a neural network replica of Paul Finebaum's tiny "brain."

Dec 6, 2015, 4:20 PM

Thus you can get six SEC teams into the top 5.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

So a dartboard us just as accurate, eh?***

Dec 6, 2015, 5:42 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just ignore anything FPI related

Dec 6, 2015, 5:01 PM

Nobody knows the formulas. ESPN keeps it secret. My guess is they don't want people to see where they are giving SEC teams more weight. It's a complete joke of a computer model anyway. Can you believe Clemson is ranked 6th in the current FPI? That's not a typo, 6th. Maybe even worse than that, Iowa is 27th.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Re: Just ignore anything FPI related

Dec 6, 2015, 5:13 PM

I think what they do is take preseason rankings and weight that the heaviest, then they look at previous year's preseason polls and finally that take into account what will make them the most money.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FPI question

Dec 6, 2015, 5:39 PM

They use ESPN recruiting poll which attributes to sec bump in these rankings. ESPN sets the recruiting rankings. Circular logic to help out sec teams and network they have invested in.

Re: FPI question

Dec 6, 2015, 5:54 PM

SEC teams all start with 10 points each because they play in the most powerful conference in the world........all other teams start with 5 points because they are only average teams at best.....Based on their point system, SEC teams automatically qualify for FPI top 25 if they finish the season with a winning record & move up 1 spot in the poll even if they lose to another SEC team and move up two spots in the poll if they beat any nonconference team.....therefore, the Final FPI poll has 9 SEC teams in the Top 25.... also, Clemson can NEVER be ranked in the Top 5 even if they are the only undefeated team left in the nation and ranked # 1 in the CFP, therefore # 6 is where they are currently ranked. ESPN (AKA SEC) experts would never have any bias against any other conference & guarantee this system ranks teams in a fair & impartial manner and it is the most accurate of any rankings in the world.....Go Tigers!!!!

Replies: 6
| visibility 979
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic