Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Explain this to me like I'm a five-year old, b/c I just
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 3,313

Explain this to me like I'm a five-year old, b/c I just

Oct 3, 2012, 9:08 PM

don't get it. Why on earth would we want South Carolina to lose a single game before they roll into DV in November? An 11-1 Clemson team beating the ever-loving-snot out of an undefeated USuC team is the best scenario if rational thought prevails (but maybe that's the issue).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You clearly don't live in Columbia

Oct 3, 2012, 9:10 PM

Unfortunately, I do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What does that have to do with anything?***

Oct 3, 2012, 9:11 PM

Like I said....

Oct 3, 2012, 9:15 PM

You clearly don't live in Columbia. 0-11 was the perfect season for USCjr. The most peaceful, blissful time I've spent the past 36 years in this city.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like you're weak...that's too bad***

Oct 3, 2012, 9:16 PM

The only thing "weak" about this OP....is its premise..

Oct 3, 2012, 11:15 PM

anything explained to you chickens generally has to be done so on a "Five-year-old" level

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like I said....

Oct 3, 2012, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Like I said.... ]

move, or why did you go there to bgin with?

It's your hated rival. You never want anything good for

Oct 3, 2012, 9:14 PM

your hated rival. Simple as that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Nope, not buying it, that's uneducated, redneck logic...any

Oct 3, 2012, 9:18 PM

sane, educated person would rather be at a game between two highly ranked rivals that are playing a game that means something. Yeah, I'd want USC to go 0-11 every year if we didn't play them, but that ain't the case.

Well, I guess I'm an uneducated redneck graduate of Clemson.

Oct 3, 2012, 9:22 PM

Because, I NEVER want them to have success in their athletic endeavors.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Realize I'm overstating things to make a point,,,your degree

Oct 3, 2012, 9:29 PM

proves you're neither uneducated nor a redneck,,,but I just don't understand it...I want the Clemson/USC football game to mean something when we beat them. If they suck every year, it won't be a rivalry,,,it will be like any other cream-puff game.

No matter what their record is, beating them always means

Oct 3, 2012, 9:30 PM

something.

Hey ohson this may blow your mind

Oct 3, 2012, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Realize I'm overstating things to make a point,,,your degree ]

but who we pull for doesn't add a single point to the score board

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh? Are you drunk?***

Oct 3, 2012, 10:57 PM

Re: Huh? Are you drunk?***

Oct 3, 2012, 11:09 PM

I'll type this slowly, it doesn't matter if we pull against SC or not, cause the outcome is going to be what it is, rather if we pull for them or hope they lose

Re: Realize I'm overstating things to make a point,,,your degree

Oct 4, 2012, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Realize I'm overstating things to make a point,,,your degree ]

like it is now...

Re: Well, I guess I'm an uneducated redneck graduate of Clemson.

Oct 4, 2012, 5:22 AM [ in reply to Well, I guess I'm an uneducated redneck graduate of Clemson. ]

I guess us rednecks gotta stick together then cause I want them to lose every game they play in every sport.

Nope, I want them to fail at everything***

Oct 4, 2012, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Nope, not buying it, that's uneducated, redneck logic...any ]

Re: It's your hated rival. You never want anything good for

Oct 3, 2012, 9:27 PM [ in reply to It's your hated rival. You never want anything good for ]

Your jig is up , you aint fooling nobody

Take your feathered ### back to your roost .

A real Clemson fan wants them to lose every game they play, get 6 two star recruits a year and the stadium collapses when empty , coach resigns , etc .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I KNOW this was not meant for me.

Oct 3, 2012, 9:28 PM

;)

Re: It's your hated rival. You never want anything good for

Oct 29, 2023, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: It's your hated rival. You never want anything good for ]

I think you just proved his point.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

I'd love to see South Carolina get back to having 0-11

Oct 3, 2012, 9:18 PM

seasons. It makes it much easier to recruit when you're the only big-time school in the state. Even division titles and conference titles from South Carolina hurt us in a recruiting a tiny bit.

Plus it's always a ton of fun to watch the Gamecocks lose and their fans go crazy with anger and sadness.

I would like to see South Carolina go 0-12 every year

Oct 3, 2012, 9:22 PM

for the rest of my life. Clemson does gain anything by South Carolina being good. Will the rest of the country watch the Clemson/USC game if both teams are 11-0 or 10-1 yes will they really care who wins no. Will they care who won a month later no. Just like watching FSU/UF when both teams were great in the 1990's I would watch but could careless who won. Ala/Auburn do you really think fans in Michigan or Ohio really care who wins that game? They could care they might watch it, but they don't care.

When USuC went 0 and 21, it was so sweet!!

Oct 3, 2012, 9:23 PM

Otside of a championship, nothing can beat that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

You actually get dumber by the minute...please go back

Oct 3, 2012, 9:24 PM

to the hen house. I'd rather see USuCk lose every game, get the death penalty, and cease to exist as a University....we'll find a new rival.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I draw breath......

Oct 3, 2012, 9:26 PM

I will NEVER cheer for usuck to win anything....from tiddlywinks to football.

You can employ all the rationalization you wish to make some case for wanting usuck to win....I'll never support it....and in my mind, no Clemson fan with full-mental faculties will either.

And I did enjoy seeing those feathers pulled out from your skirt the other day.....talking out of both sides of your beak is a bad habit.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

My take

Oct 3, 2012, 9:39 PM

The good think about pulling for (or against) any team is that it doesn't have to be rational because it doesn't make a difference at all.

USC is our rival and I hope they never win a game in any sport against any team, ever. Period. And if they do I can also realize what (little) good it may do Clemson. But I don't have to rationalize those two things because being a fan doesn't require that sort of consistency.

So, in short, I will never pull for them to win. But in the rare case it helps Clemson that they do, I will be glad if the horrible happens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Explain this to me like I'm a five-year old, b/c I just

Oct 3, 2012, 9:53 PM

Why would you want the other instate school to be good? You do know there is a thing called recruiting right?

Its why the SEC ra ra stuff is ridiculous. Why would you cheer for Alabama/LSU to continue dominating everyone and get their pick of the litter?

Do you ever wonder why there's five Starbucks in what seems

Oct 3, 2012, 10:28 PM

like a one-block area?

Do you think Starbucks likes it

Oct 3, 2012, 10:33 PM

When another chain of coffee shop opens up down the street and does well?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you understand the point that's being discussed here?

Oct 3, 2012, 10:52 PM

You do realize that all businesses would prefer they have a monopoly, right? But that ain't the way it works in our society. There's competition. And given that, (let's leave the Starbucks example for a second b/c that went over your head), how do you think Lowe's feels about Home Depot setting up shop across most intersections from them (and vice versa)?

LOL

Oct 3, 2012, 10:59 PM

Both would love to drive the other out of business.

They don't relish the other doing well because they are competitors in the marketplace, or rivals if you will.

Your Starbucks example was flawed in that Starbucks are not individually owned enterprises but rather are operations of a single entity looking to maximize profits.

That's why I corrected it to include a different franchise. ie rivals.

But lets forget all of these examples as none of them include the simple and universal desire that a fan has for their rival to lose. Your analogy misses that simple mark.

You miss the point that holds whether you're talking one

Oct 3, 2012, 11:06 PM

business or multiple businesses, which is this: when you're trying to sell a product, more traffic is better for everybody...it's really that simple (not that I expect you to synthesize any of this).

But see, that's where we disagree

Oct 3, 2012, 11:11 PM

Clemson and USC aren't working cooperatively to grow college football interest.

We are competitors for college football success.

SO yes, business do work together to grow their industries. No doubt about that.

But they do not root for the success of their local and biggest competitors because they are in adversarial roles for that market segment.

In this case the object USC and us are competing over is everything from bragging rights, to publicity, to recruits.

Because they are Coots and I hope they lose every game

Oct 3, 2012, 9:53 PM

In every sport to the point where they do away with their whole athletic program. That's why!

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would it be nice to beat an undefeated USC team?

Oct 3, 2012, 10:00 PM

Sure.

Do I want them to ever win another game? H3ll no, because I'm a Clemson fan, and I will never, ever pull for those idiots in Columbia.

Folks feel better when they have more losses than us.***

Oct 3, 2012, 10:20 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not like Clemson is in the mix for the national...

Oct 3, 2012, 10:26 PM

...championship this year. I hope the Gamecocks lose all of their remaining games. That's just the way it is unless there is something bigger on the line.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Well, I post about thrice a year. Here's my post for Fall 12

Oct 3, 2012, 10:35 PM

I used to post a lot more ten years ago but slowly began to realize the futility of doing so. I still love Tigernet but try to rein in my comments until someone asks something profoundly important.

For example, any post starting with "Why ... would we want ... South Carolina to lose"

Because I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hate them. Really. Their graduates? No, of course not. Great people just like ours. But their athletic teams? Oh them I hate, yessir, hate em.

If they went 0-12 between now and 2030, I would be ecstatic. How could it be better? Maybe if they went 11-0 and we beat them? No. It could be better if the NCAA allowed an exemption one year to have a bowl pitting zero-win teams against each other. Just to humiliate the loser. Say it was South Carolina versus UMass, played in Billings, Montana in mid-December. This is how it could be better: UMass (1-12) 2, USC (0-13) 0.

Maybe it would be okay if perhaps USC won a single game during that span. But then I'd have to apologize to my young daughters for living in a world in which Evil prevailed once in a two-decade span. It could spark a vicious sibling rivalry in which one of them was not old enough to remember "that one time" when USC won, whereas the other two were unfortunate enough to have the ugly image of USC prevailing seared into their memory. No, this wouldn't be okay. Think of the children when you post such foolishness.

Would it help with recruiting if USC went (back) to being the pond scum of college football? Sure. But since we're just spitballin' here, it would be even better if USC could follow up a 50-game losing streak with a pay-for-play scandal and severe NCAA sanctions too.

Are you getting this clearly? Again, I don't post too often and hate to waste my quota of annual posts on an unimportant topic. Hence, I've chosen -- suitably in my opinion -- to use a post on such a nuanced, complex, and important topic.

But in case my long-winded prose has somehow remained ambiguous, let me summarize.

I hate those guys.

(Very) Sincerely,
MojoRisin

Corollary:
I am rooting for Georgia on Saturday.

Your post is a bunch of blather except for the first part

Oct 3, 2012, 10:49 PM

where you correctly acknowledge that my post is of profound importance.

I agree it would be fun, except for that last part...

Oct 3, 2012, 10:41 PM

I would love for both teams to be top 10 tens teams... this said, if CU was not a top team, would love to see a 20 game losing streak

20? Because 21 would be absurd, right?***

Oct 3, 2012, 10:46 PM

Dude SC is the only one who can accomplish that***

Oct 3, 2012, 11:08 PM [ in reply to I agree it would be fun, except for that last part... ]

respectfully disagree - hear me out

Oct 3, 2012, 10:41 PM

Moral relativism, my friend, beware moral relativism. I posted a mini-sermon on it a while back that was reasonably well received (albeit w/ a few typos). Always pull against the Chickens.

Ok… I can’t stay off of my soapbox…

Right is right and wrong is wrong. It is not dependent on the names on the back of the jerseys, the ranking in the polls, the strength, conference or home state of the opponent or the changing perceptions based on the outcome of the game. It is always right to pull against the chickens and it is always wrong to pull for them.

In my younger years, I succumbed to the allure of moral relativism – attracted by the lure of the easy choice – the wide road. I am ashamed to admit that I did, in fact, pull for the Chickens, in the name of state loyalty, against the “big boys” – Notre Dame, Ohio State etc. Then, one dark November night in 1987, my choices betrayed me. Yes. The chickens beat us. As I stared soullessly at the TV, I realized that had sold my soul. I had no right to feel the pain and anguish from the loss because I had betrayed my orange blood by not ALWAYS pulling against the chickens. Oh sure, I pulled against them in our game, and sure, I pulled against them in most of their games, but I had soiled my soul, and I was bitterly aware of it. My world crashed around me. Who was I? Where was I? It was my low point.

When I woke up the next day, my empty mistress next to me was no longer able to ease my pain – save only the vapors of the night before. Only a headache remained. That was the beginning of truly living my life alive. I stepped outside and breathed the sweet Clemson air and vowed to always do the right thing - to NEVER feel that regret again. Sure, sometimes doing the right thing is hard. Sure, some times, such as these, doing the right thing seems wrong – not helpful to the orange cause. Let me assure you that things such as these will take care of themselves.

Never pull for the chickens. Never desire them to win a game. Yes, if they have a good record when we beat them, it will be a sweet win. But won’t it be sweet if they have a losing record when we beat them? I say yes.

Take it from someone who has taken that path, regretted it, and moved to the right path. This is the path of joy and no regrets. I hope you make the right decision. Do not wish them to win even one more game before they play us. I don’t want you to experience the same regret, the same dirty feeling that I felt that awful November night. I live in liberty now, so should you!

Go Tigers!!!

Because most of us can't stand to see Coot U win

Oct 3, 2012, 10:53 PM

I can see why you'd pull for them, it's obvious ohson

B/c I'm not a mouth-breather?***

Oct 3, 2012, 10:57 PM

But you are a fart smeller***

Oct 3, 2012, 10:59 PM

Because an 0-11 Carolina

Oct 3, 2012, 10:58 PM

keeps people like you off this board all year long?

Most rivals throughout history rarely have rationalized

Oct 4, 2012, 9:22 PM

either their intense dislike nor their desires for doom and gloom in all endeavors for each other. Rather, they thrive on the dislike and constantly seek out additional devious, dubious and diabolical ways for greater intensity. It's the "game" they enjoy! Thus, any means justify the end, which is, of course, the ultimate denigration, humiliation and devastation of their opponent...however, only to the point that the opponent survives another day for the "set-to." Therefore, OhSon, whether a Tiger or a Gamecock, one must simply toss out the window any sense of "rationalization" and follow the masses into the fray!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

their success hurts Clemson in some shape or form***

Oct 4, 2012, 8:43 AM

Don't you want to beat them every single year?

Oct 4, 2012, 9:48 AM

It's a lot easier to beat them when they're 0-11, becuase that means they suck. When they're good, we don't beat them as easily. Hence the last 3 years...

Anytime they are 11-0 coming into our game, they have a good shot at beating us, and often would. You don't get to 11-0 and be a bad team. That doesn't mean an 11-0 team is unbeatable, but I'd rather beat a bad team 63-17 every year than beat a good team once out of every 4 years.

That's not rational at all. A rational fan would realize

Oct 4, 2012, 9:56 AM

that the more USC sucks, the better it is for Clemson fans. On multiple levels. Not only is just plain more enjoyable when they stink (21 game losing streak, 0-11, Zero bars on the field), but it would also open the flood gates for state recruits to come to Clemson.

We used to fight schools like UGA and UT for state recruits, and now we fight USC. If they stunk, we would practically have our pick of state talent.

Your TigerPulse is dwendling.***

Oct 4, 2012, 9:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 52
| visibility 3,313
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic