Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Expansion update from the Dude of West Virginia
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Expansion update from the Dude of West Virginia

Nov 21, 2012, 9:16 PM

Expansion Update: ACC on the Brink

The ACC is facing nearly certain extinction as a viable football conference. Eight current member institutions are currently engaged in serious negotiations to depart the beleaguered conference for the Big 10, SEC or Big 12.

The Big 10 conference has received applications for membership from UVA, UNC, and Georgia Tech while FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC State and Virginia Tech have contacted the SEC about potential membership.

Despite public statements to the contrary the Big 12 conference has been in close contact with FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami about joining the Big 12.

Sources close to WVU with ties to Ohio State President E. Gorden Gee  confirm that the Big 10 has all but decided to accept the applications of Georgia Tech and UVA and is seriously considering adding UNC as the Big 10’s 17th member as insurance against potential U.S. Department of Education sanctions against PSU that could lead to Penn State being ineligible to receive federal student aid due to violations of the Clery Act.

The Big 10 showed initial interest in FSU but, according to Ohio State, the Seminoles are no longer a candidate for Big 10 membership.

The SEC has been in contact with both North Carolina and North Carolina State and continues to hold discussions with Virginia Tech,  however the Hokies are unlikely to accept an SEC invitation while the ACC remains viable.

How long the ACC remains viable appears to be a matter of days and the Hokies know it. Virginia Tech has reopened the lines of communication with the SEC and reached out to the Big 12  despite their assurances to  ACC John Swofford  that they were committed to the ACC.

The SEC’s initial desire is add the lucrative Virginia and North Carolina television markets to their SEC network and Virginia Tech and North Carolina/North Carolina State are their prime targets. If the SEC cannot add one of those three they will not hesitate to invite FSU.

Because of Virginia Tech’s reluctance to leave the ACC the SEC may move to invite one of the two North Carolina schools and wait to invite Virginia Tech when it is clear to the Hokies that the ACC will no longer be a viable football conference.  

The Big 12 has reaffirmed offers to both FSU and Clemson, however both seem content to wait until the SEC plays their hand before either accepting or turning down the Big 12’s offer. 

The Big 12 has also contacted Miami and NC State from the ACC and Louisville from the Big East.

Sources within the University of Maryland tell WVU that the ACC will not move to replace Maryland until it is clear if the conference will hold together in its present form.

Current or future ACC members Duke, Wake, Pitt, and Syracuse currently do not have suitors within the big 4.

Speculation that both the Big 10 and SEC would expand beyond 16 members is unlikely due to fears regarding antitrust violations and congressional interference.

Based on the information given to me this evening here is my best guess as to the options of the ACC’s football powers.

Big 10 adds: UVA,  Georgia Tech and UNC.
SEC adds  NC State & Virginia Tech
Big 12 adds FSU, Clemson, Louisville , and Miami.

Left out: Pitt, Boston College, Duke, Wake, Syracuse
Posted by The Dude of WV at 6:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why would people at maryland..

Nov 21, 2012, 9:18 PM

tell people at wvu what the acc plans are??this dude is a total moron.he lost all credibility with his.clemson and fsu are sure going to the big 12 over the summer then it never happened

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems plausible to me

Nov 21, 2012, 9:23 PM

No one wants to left in an ACC devoid of key football members. Unless ND comes in for FB too, the ACC is dead. Get out while the getting is good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems plausible to me

Nov 21, 2012, 9:31 PM

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!! and do it NOW!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude is

Nov 21, 2012, 9:20 PM

a dud.

so that's the Big 16 and a provisional****

Nov 21, 2012, 9:20 PM

Hilarious, but the guy sure knows how to stir the pot to get

Nov 21, 2012, 9:25 PM

hits on his site. Unfortunately in the blogosphere, people can just make stuff up to get their name out there and they aren't held accountable like real journalists are.

I realize I could be way off base, but...

Nov 21, 2012, 9:25 PM

this guy seems to clamor for attention.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy any of this guys angle. Not that he's wrong, but if ACC schools were putting in applications, we would have heard about their board meetings to give the presidents permission to make such moves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

like you heard about UMD's board meeting?

Nov 21, 2012, 9:28 PM

or 3-4 off the record board meetings CU had this summer?

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Board meetings were not to discuss football alignment***

Nov 21, 2012, 9:32 PM

Re: Board meetings were not to discuss football alignment***

Nov 21, 2012, 9:39 PM

thats our BOT!! always late... sit on their hands while barker leads us to the Southern Conf!! STUPID

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol... right***

Nov 21, 2012, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Board meetings were not to discuss football alignment*** ]

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Oh Please.

Nov 21, 2012, 9:54 PM [ in reply to like you heard about UMD's board meeting? ]

Nothing you or "The Dude" said over the summer actually happened. So cut the crap please.

Contradicts what the BOT said today***

Nov 21, 2012, 9:27 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

BOT giving party line***

Nov 21, 2012, 9:29 PM

It's Deja Vu all over again! I'll believe it when I see it!***

Nov 21, 2012, 9:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Déjà vu except for that fact a school left this time. Might

Nov 21, 2012, 9:47 PM

need to start believing.

Dude has been spot on so far! Oh wait...******

Nov 21, 2012, 9:50 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so why didn't this plethora of info know about Maryland?****

Nov 21, 2012, 10:03 PM

check this.... Nov. 2....

Nov 21, 2012, 10:11 PM

http://forums.eersauthority.com/index.php?topic=22.0

Says B1G would take lead and UMD a target

In the last 10 months the "Dude" has predicted...

Nov 21, 2012, 10:38 PM

1. Clemson and FSU WOULD be in the Big12. It was a done deal. It didn't happen

2. FSU wanted to go to the Big 12 but not without a partner and Clemson stabbed the Big12 in the back.

3. There are hard feelings between the Big 12 and Clemson.

4 ND will join the Big 12.

5. GaT will take Clemson's spot in the Big 12.

6. The BIG10 will act first and take UNC/UVA.

7. The SEC will add NCST and VaT.

8. The SEC will add UNC and UVA.

9. The SEC will invite FSU and Clemson (this was just yesterday).

10. The BIG10 will add UNC, UVA, UMD, GaT, Rutgers, FSU, and BC

11. The BIG10 is talking with Clemson.

12. And now the list he added from his website today.

Heck, he's like Walt, I'm sure at some point he will be correct in one of his predictions because he makes soooooo many.

Oh, he is also a self proclaimed ACC hater and will not rest until the ACC dies (his words, not mine). He is a butt hurt WVU fan and only reinforces why that school was too dumb to get invited to the ACC.

My comments aren't intended as a flame. I hope Clemson makes a move to ensure it's athletic future, whatever that might be, I don't know. But to listen to ANYthing coming from the "Dude" is monumentally stupid.

i dont disagree...

Nov 21, 2012, 11:16 PM

just pointing out a small oversight

Nothing is surprising anymore...

Nov 21, 2012, 10:05 PM

I truly hope that the ACC is able to come together as a conference and get everyone on board to stay. But I don't think Swofford or anyone else can give us assurances that this will happen. So, each school has to start looking out for their own best interests.

I wish Clemson luck and hope you guys (and Tech) wind up in a good conference, whether that be the current ACC or somewhere else.

I hate all of this. I truly hate it. But as I said the other day, when Maryland left that changed everything.

I doubt B1G talked with FSU. They arent AAU and

Nov 21, 2012, 10:06 PM

every member of B1G is.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree somewhat with the Dude VT NCS SEC VA NC B1G Clem FSU

Nov 21, 2012, 10:07 PM

GT Miami Louiville to Big12 with either ND or Cinn #16 team probably Cinn

Leaving Pittt Syr Duke Wake BC UConn USF & maybe UCF in the ACC

PAC12 will add BYU SDST Boise St & a16th team

Have 4 main Conf winner of their respective Conf Champ Game will play in 4 team playoff in Sugar & Rose in 1st round then a site TBD for NC game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's the problem wit this stuff:

Nov 21, 2012, 10:14 PM

Everyone agrees that conference realignment of some sort is inevitable; with the addition of Notre Dame and the departure of Maryland it is already happening, and all conferences will likely look different at some point in the not too distant future. Therefore this stuff by The Dude (and others) is quite plausible.

But hold up a minute.

Pretty much everything he said last summer was plausible as well; so what rational minds should demand here is something more than plausibility. Thankfully, we have something more - a track record. A guy like The Dude can be no better than his sources, and last time they were wrong; there were obviously discussions and decisions being made that his sources were not privy to. So, unless he has different sources this time, again there will be discussions and decisions made that his sources, thus The Dude won't be privy to. They simply aren't in the loop.

I enjoy the speculation, and I appreciate anyone sharing any information they may have (keep it coming), but let's remember nothing is official until it's official, and until it's official, it's just speculation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Expansion update from the Dude of West Virginia

Nov 21, 2012, 10:28 PM

this may all very well come to fruition but i dont think he knows anything. i think he is just smart enough to see the most likely scenario in which the acc folds. everyone else can see it too, though, if they start with the assumption that its the acc that folds. which is what he and every other wvu fan wants ever since y'all told them they were not good enough to join.

still, i think its just as likely that its the big 12 that eventually folds. if the acc stands firm and no school flinches then the sec and B1G are still going to look somewhere and it will be the big 12s turn again. plus pac still wants some of those schools. i think its more likely that the acc is raided because they have more good programs that make geographic sense and i think the sec is backing the big 12 so they can get the acc out of their backyard. however, its far from a done deal. it all comes down to the rest of the acc sticking together. losing maryland hurts. not because of maryland but just because someone left. that hit can be taken, though, if everyone else toughs it out. i think if anyone else jumps then the conference is done. will start an avalanche.

at this time i hope the acc lasts. thats alot of history and tradition for college sports to lose. the dude is just mad and wanting to see it go down the drain.

FSU, Clemson, GT, VaTech, NCSt, Miami to the B12 ...

Nov 21, 2012, 10:40 PM

This will form nice E/W divisions in the B12(16), with WVU of course lumped into the E Division, gotta grab someone from the W to balance it out though ....

ACC will replace lost members with UCONN, James Madison, ECU, U of Delaware, Temple and U of Richmond ...

I pulled this out of my ####, but it makes sense to me.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Expansion update from the Dude of West Virginia***

Nov 21, 2012, 10:42 PM

UNC to Big 10? NEVER Happen.

Nov 21, 2012, 10:44 PM

I dismiss the rest of this garbage based on that alone.

Re: like you heard about UMD's board meeting?

Nov 21, 2012, 11:20 PM

Wait York you said we were gone!!! Don't jump on the dude you were the dude with all your sources. Remember

Seems possible

Nov 21, 2012, 11:28 PM

Totally made up conspiracy but it does seem like a scenario to be played out if one more school jumps

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic