Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Etienne on pace to be the greatest RB in Clemson history?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,189

Etienne on pace to be the greatest RB in Clemson history?

Oct 9, 2018, 9:37 AM

A few number crunches cause I'm a nerd. I'll include both three and four years since he's a stud and you never know. Assuming 14 games per season and that he stays healthy, obviously.

If Etienne continues at his current career pace, he will have:

Touchdowns - 1.2/game
3yr: 50 (Clemson record - Davis 47)
4yr: 67 (would break record by 20!)

Rushing Yards - 76.35/game
3yr: 3,206 (Clemson record - Priester 3,966)
4yr: 4,275 (Priester played four years)

CJ Spiller had 95.5 scrimmage yards per game compared to Etienne's 80.4, so I highly doubt he'll break that record; he simply doesn't catch the ball enough. Obviously CJ had way more return yards than Etienne will wind up with. For those reasons, it's tough to say Travis could challenge CJ in the "greatest player" category. CJ's all-purpose yardage mark will stand for a long time.

But the "greatest pure RB"? If he stays four years (my gut tells me he will) he should easily beat Davis' TD record and Spiller's rushing yards, and have a strong shot at besting Priester's yards record. That's pretty amazing. If this pans out, he and Spiller will stand alone as the two best. It's fun watching a guy head towards the record books, isn't it? Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THX 1479 for your brainpower RB info!

Oct 9, 2018, 9:40 AM

??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He won't stay four years.

Oct 9, 2018, 9:49 AM

Our guys generally get good advice and NFL RBs have a short shelf life. Spending one of your prime earning years playing for free is a terrible individual decision if you're a lock NFL player and ETN is a lock.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Etienne on pace to be the greatest RB in Clemson history?

Oct 9, 2018, 9:57 AM

When you talk "greatest" is that only measured by stats, yds... Wonder what the stats for James Davis and CJ would have looked like if they had been surrounded by this years teammates? We'll never know but fun to wonder. I sure appreciate those guys.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2018, 10:31 AM

Another advantage that Etienne will have over CJ will be in terms of how much they are asked to do for the team. We have enough playmakers on our team now that we don't need Etienne to be back there returning kicks and also the occasional punt return. I'll never forget how often we would have to pull CJ out for a few plays on offense b/c he had gotten winded on a huge return. Also, with the depth we have at RB, Etienne will be able to stay fresh.

I think Etienne will likely end up being the best RB we've ever had, but he will never be as vital to our offense as CJ was. CJ almost single-handedly kept us in many games. That's not to say that Etienne didn't do the same thing versus Syracuse and BC last year, but we have so many other players we can rely on.

How cool would it have been to see CJ and Jacoby play in the type of offense we had under Morris or under SCElliot?

I’m hanging tough w/ Terry Allen for now, but ...

Oct 9, 2018, 9:58 AM

... I’m totally open to having my mind changed.

Hoping ETN blows my mind before he’s done.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2018, 10:07 AM

He could also potentially break Travis Zachery's record of 52 total TD's.

Also, as good as those numbers are, his usage will certainly be higher for the rest of his career than during his freshman year, so that is skewing his averages down a good bit.

Oct 9, 2018, 2:18 PM

I did that intentionally as what he's doing this season is nigh unsustainable haha. I certainly hope he does but this is ridiculous. These projections would be off the charts if I only used this season's averages.

Oct 9, 2018, 10:18 AM

I believe that by the time he leaves regardless of 3 or 4 years he will be regarded as the best running back to play at Clemson. He is a perfect blend of James Davis and CJ. The one area he needs to continue to improve on is his pass catching. If he gets that to a good level for a running back his game will he complete.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He might not be the best RB team.***

Oct 9, 2018, 11:27 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,189
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic