Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN's Tom Luginbill on Jane Bentley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 6,472

ESPN's Tom Luginbill on Jane Bentley

Jun 13, 2017, 11:45 PM
image.png(143.0 K)

So, apparently this guy didn't watch Bentley at all...
He's saying that this kid, who is unproven at best is as good as Watson, who should have won two Heismans and did win a NC.
??????
I'm embarrassed for him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN's Tom Luginbill on Jane Bentley

Jun 14, 2017, 12:49 AM

He's an idiot and Deshaun is about to prove it again but Jane Bentley will beat him to it in 2 months and couple weeks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jun 14, 2017, 5:59 AM

There is literally nowhere in that, that even remotely refers to Bentley being better than DW4. Calm down, Sally

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2017, 7:48 AM

I didn't say better than; I said as good as. The writer says that Bentley will be a first round draft choice, which quantifiably make it as good as-which is what I'm disagreeing.
-Sally

Jun 14, 2017, 7:53 AM

Is a quarterback named Jame similar to a boy named Sue? Asking for a friend!

No..he is saying he is as good as ryan leaf

Jun 14, 2017, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's Tom Luginbill on Jane Bentley ]

Gotta agree, you are reading too much into it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: No..he is saying he is as good as ryan leaf

Jun 14, 2017, 8:04 AM

Bentley plays well against teams with a combined 25-46 record, but against real defenses, he doesn't have it, and probably won't. Just watch what happens to him against defenses this year, again, that have a pulse.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No..he is saying he is as good as ryan leaf

Jun 14, 2017, 9:59 AM

^fact.

He played the #5, #8, #95, #99, #118, & #120 total defense teams of 2017...and the only two of those in the top 10 in defense, the Gamecocks only scored 7 in each one (Bentley only scoring one of those 2 times).

I don't think that's what that means.

Jun 14, 2017, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's Tom Luginbill on Jane Bentley ]

First round just means you are projected as the best of what's available in a given year. And really, it just means you are projected as the best available at a position a team has a need for.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jun 14, 2017, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN's Tom Luginbill on Jane Bentley ]

All I'm saying is that everyone on here gives Lugenbill love when he talks highly of Clemson, which he does often. Just because he doesn't trash USuc, doesn't mean you should trash him. He sees potential in someone, let him have his opinion, man. It's really not a big deal.

Jun 14, 2017, 6:52 PM

I buy that. I'm not afraid of SC having a good quarterback. It won't be enough, but I'm not gonna trash the kid or Luginbill. He's mostly pretty fair in his analysis.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tom Luginbill is a recruiting analyst.

Jun 14, 2017, 10:08 AM

Jake Bentley was a very highly touted recruit.

What is so hard to understand about this?

Re: Tom Luginbill is a recruiting analyst.

Jun 14, 2017, 10:33 AM

1. Bentley is no longer a recruit after playing a season.
2. Summed up in one nice little image:

Wanna make a cute mockup of Trubisky's stats too?

Jun 14, 2017, 10:57 AM

I'll trust the talent evaluators over the small sample size. Jake Bentley is a very high ceiling quarterback regardless of TigerNet's opinion.

Re: Wanna make a cute mockup of Trubisky's stats too?

Jun 14, 2017, 7:23 PM

Small sample size? That's 7 games at the collegiate level (over half a season)....played 2 top 10 defenses, only scored 7 points combined in them (all 7 in the FL game). His team as a whole in both only scored 7 points against those D's in each game. The remaining games were all against teams with defenses ranked below 90 in total defense, plus an FCS team. Honestly, that's as big of a sample size as Deshaun Watson had his freshman season, so not sure what you are on about "small sample size". His biggest yards game was the bowl game, in which he lost...every other game was less than 300 yards passing (compare that to Watson having 580 yards while losing to Pitt)...nough said. Seems you don't like facts.

Jun 14, 2017, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Tom Luginbill is a recruiting analyst. ]

Highly touted by who? Whom? Don't think we ever put him on our radar. Our DL, and any other DL worth a crap, will destroy him. Again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2017, 10:48 AM

He was #5 in the top 5 of the 2016 Elite 11....nevermind those 2 Tigers sitting at #1 & #2 though. lol.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2626427-5-top-performing-quarterback-recruits-from-2016-atlanta-elite-11-regional

He was ranked 194th in the nation out of HS and...

Jun 14, 2017, 10:55 AM

10th pro style QB's by 247sports. That's not that highly rated by Clemson standards. Maybe for USCjr it is though. I think he will be solid one day in college, but comparing him to Watson is laughable.

Re: He was ranked 194th in the nation out of HS and...

Jun 14, 2017, 7:28 PM

Agreed about Watson, but wouldn't exactly say it that way about Clemson standards, seeing we have the 2017 #11 pro-style QB coming in the fall...Chase Brice.
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?Position=pro

He wasn't on our radar because he was Bobby Bentley's son.

Jun 14, 2017, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Tom Luginbill is a recruiting analyst. ]

That doesn't mean he was a bad quarterback. He never really got a ton of recruiting hype because he reclassified very late, but schools like Alabama, Stanford, LSU, Miami and Auburn all wanted him.

Orange tinted glasses are cool, but they certainly make it harder to see.

Re: He wasn't on our radar because he was Bobby Bentley's son.

Jun 14, 2017, 7:41 PM

Clemson is listed on his offer list on ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/188866/jake-bentley

Re: He wasn't on our radar because he was Bobby Bentley's son.

Jun 15, 2017, 12:03 AM

Assume this list is reported by the player with no confirmation from the school? If so, it would be easy to shoes an impressive list.

I certainly don't recall anyone from Clemson's side saying we offered JB.

MT

Luginbill's entire blog doesn't make any sense. If Bentley

Jun 14, 2017, 11:24 AM

is a first round talent, then why would any young QBs wanting to go to the NFL not want to fit that profile. Tall guys with good arms are always going to be in demand in college and smart college QB's (like Watson) do not want to be labeled "dual threat" ....... because that is not what the pros are looking for. I reject his entire premise that they are a dying breed ... or .... rare.

Jun 14, 2017, 3:25 PM

I think Bentley could be really good but so far he doesnt have much of a team around him. Bryan Edwards will prove to be a reliable target but they need way more OL and a few other targets... and a running game. He will show some flashes but WM will put more team around him.

Jun 14, 2017, 6:59 PM

Muscoot will coach him right out of being an NFL prospect. I'd be surprised if he is still standing at the end of the year.

Jun 14, 2017, 6:26 PM

Interesting how Luginbill turned 'skeered to run the ball' into a virtue. Nice.

Jun 14, 2017, 7:58 PM

This is not a surprise. If Luginbill thinks he's good, he probably is.

But the thing about a pocket-passer is that it helps if he has an actual pocket from which to pass. That may be what you see when he plays against D's like ours that collapse his line.

When he does well against lesser teams, it might just mean his line held up. So forgetting the quality of DBs he faces, what he may have shown is that when his line holds, he can get through a progression or two and hit an open receiver. Don't know what more is asked of a "pure" pocket passer.

But it seems that when the pocket does break down (and this happens in the pros as well) he is not clever enough with his feet to salvage many plays. I think first round may be possible but it's really a stretch at this point.

Replies: 26
| visibility 6,472
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic