Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell bashers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Brownell bashers

Apr 3, 2013, 8:37 AM

Head over to the Scout site and read up on Blossomgame. He's going to be terrific next year and will be the starting power forward.
With him at the 4, McDaniels at the 3 and Roper at 2, that's a pretty good young core to build with.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell bashers

Apr 3, 2013, 9:10 AM

I agree - but there is that pesky problem of needing a 1 and a 5.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just play three 3s instead.

Apr 3, 2013, 9:13 AM

That'll confuse 'em.

OP already tried it...***

Apr 3, 2013, 4:23 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you had the opportunity to watch the NCAA tourney

Apr 3, 2013, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Brownell bashers ]

this year the MOST important position by far and away to be good at if you're going to be a good team is the PG. The best teams typically have the best PG...Wichita St beat OSU because their PG dominated the game...Louisville's PG ran circles around the Duke guards. It's the most important position and probably one of our weakest.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if you had the opportunity to watch the NCAA tourney

Apr 3, 2013, 9:35 AM

Roper showed some flashes. He seems to be more fluid with the ball than Hall, but made a lot of rookie mistakes too. Maybe he'll make some big progress this off-season and take over as PG. Then we just need someone that can hold their own in the middle and Brad might be able to salvage something next year. The deck is definitely stacked against him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need a really good PG and a solid frontcourt.***

Apr 3, 2013, 9:44 AM [ in reply to if you had the opportunity to watch the NCAA tourney ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

and a good two guard

Apr 3, 2013, 9:55 AM

null

and good freethrow shooting***

Apr 3, 2013, 9:55 AM

LOL.....you're making my Wed a better day!!!***

Apr 3, 2013, 10:37 AM

A good small forward/shooting guard hybrid would help too.***

Apr 3, 2013, 2:02 PM [ in reply to and a good two guard ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if you had the opportunity to watch the NCAA tourney

Apr 3, 2013, 10:27 AM [ in reply to if you had the opportunity to watch the NCAA tourney ]

Actually, it looked to me that both Hall and Filer can drive pretty well to the basket. But they both need to learn to finish and score. Biggest need I see is consistent scorers. If they both improve, and Roper and JB develop, we should avoid the big scoring droughts which lost us a lot of games this year, and we'll be a better team.

The biggest problem next season....

Apr 3, 2013, 11:35 AM

aside from the concenrs about shooting more consistently, will be a very thin and undersized frontcourt.

extremely thin front court and when you combine that

Apr 3, 2013, 11:39 AM

with poor shooting you could get blown out in a hurry. OP's teams and RB's teams could get by with poor shooting because they had guys who could bang the boards after missed shots. These guys next year are going to be so thin up front that's going to be tough. NC was able to get away with a thin front court this year because they had good shooters but it only takes an off day/night for this weakness to expose itself quickly as it did against Kansas and it did against Duke a couple of times.

Re: The biggest problem next season....

Apr 4, 2013, 1:49 PM [ in reply to The biggest problem next season.... ]

Agree there are concerns with the frontcourt. However, there are few teams with legitimate big men these days and a lot of teams are successful going small and they win a bunch of games.

Rod Hall needs to shoot thousands of shots over the summer.

Apr 3, 2013, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: if you had the opportunity to watch the NCAA tourney ]

Nothing is more frustrating than running a pick and roll and both defenders sag off because they know you won't pull the trigger.

Those guys are going to be good....

Apr 3, 2013, 9:14 AM

a few problems...

1. Point Guard situation is not good...Hall is at best a Socon point guard and not at a good Socon program either...Filer is going to have to be the guy or we're going to need to bring a guy in.

2. Depth behind these guys is so thin...you're asking guys who didn't play last year or have one year of experience to make a giant leap. Also if an injury occurs we are sunk.

3. We're very thin in the front court. Another area that could be helped w/ transfers or juco players.

Agree with all of your points

Apr 3, 2013, 9:36 AM

I look at a team that has issues at just about all positions and little to no depth at all regardless of the position or playing a 3/4 guard system. I'm not downing on JB, but he's really an unknown. Also, hanging our hopes on someone who didn't play at all this past season is not a good idea. Like you say (and we saw this year with coleman and blossomgame out) injuries will completely sink the ship that already has a pretty big leak and is filling with water. Depending on recruiting in the late signing period (and who really believes that the admin is just going to all of a sudden allow JUCOs? REALLY?) we could very well see some walkons getting PT.

Agree about PG but OP didn't help us by not recruiting any

Apr 3, 2013, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Those guys are going to be good.... ]

after Stitt. I think Filer is gonna be a decent PG.

I agree that Filer is going to be a good PG....

Apr 3, 2013, 9:52 AM

but as my boy "Tigerfansince1972" pointed out, he will be asked to do alot and if he sustains some type of injury, depth behind him will be limited at best.

OP only signed 3 pgs in his ENTIRE tenure...Mathis, Stitt

Apr 3, 2013, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Agree about PG but OP didn't help us by not recruiting any ]

and Andre Young...

Didn't realize Young was a PG; I thought we had him

Apr 4, 2013, 8:55 AM

at point out of necessity his Sr year. He always seemed like much more of a SG to me

Apr 3, 2013, 9:14 AM

BB is a good coach however he needs to recruit better. JB is a star in waiting if he stays healthy. BB needs to adapt or evolve his philosophy. The new AD will push and get new or upgraded facilities. Motion offense is good but recruits want to play in a higher tempo offense. Something similiar to Louisville would impact our recruiting.

A good coach?

Apr 3, 2013, 9:54 AM

For the 5th time I ask, what about Brownell makes him a good coach?

I think Brad Brownell is a good coach.....

Apr 3, 2013, 9:58 AM

My concern, and the biggest concern that I had when he was hired, can he recruit at the level necessary to make Clemson successful.

Reason?

Apr 3, 2013, 10:18 AM

No one can give a reason.

It's always "I think he is a good coach". That's BS!

Tell me a game we won, because he made brilliant coaching decisions.

There are a lot of factors that make a coach good....

Apr 3, 2013, 10:52 AM

other than simply winning games based on brilliant coaching decisions.

At this point, Clemson simply doesn't have the talent for BB to outcoach too many opponents.

However, what he does have, at least in my opinion is...

He encourages his players to be selfless and supportive teammates in both losing and winning efforts.

He teaches his players to handle adversity which prepares them to handle tough times in life.

He is a role model for his players.

He is not afraid to enforce his rules with every player

One of the best skills a bakketball coach can have in order to become more effective in influencing his players is leadership. He gets individual players to pull-together and play as one, and to buy-in to the goals of the team.

He is a student of the game. He studies opponents and parepars based on the strengths and limitations of his players and the opponents.

He is excited about the opportunity to coach and lead young people as evidenced by his passion, enthusiams, and energy.

He understands that every player is motivated differently.

He understands that the quality of the relationship between the coach and the player does not end when practice is over.

The goal of a good basketball coach is to influence his players and his team in a positive way. Quite often, away from home, over-zealous fans continuously hurl abusive words his way. The coach must leave such barbs fall on deaf ears; but things like this add to the sometime-pressure of the trade "to win at all costs", already heaped upon his shoulders.

Not only do you have to be a teacher, you must be a parent figure, confessor, psychologist, counselor, public relations expert, and a role model for the community.

good post***

Apr 3, 2013, 10:58 AM

Ultimately, it will boil down to wins and losses....

Apr 3, 2013, 11:28 AM

as is generally the case with all coaches, but at this point, objectively, I don't think he has been given a reasonable opportunity to build and develop his team.

His job is getting so much harder as well

Apr 3, 2013, 11:30 AM

can you imagine if we were awful in football and the conference added Alabama, LSU, and two other good schools.....that's essentially what's happened in basketball...we've added two final four teams and two other very good teams.

Re: Reason?

Apr 3, 2013, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Reason? ]

out of his 11 seasons as a NCAA D1 Coach he has had 7 20 win seasons. this season was his first losing season. Also this was his first season having a sub-.500 conference record. He has taken every program he has coached to the NCAA tourney. This season he held 3 NCAA tourney to 20 points less than their season average.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Answer: Demonstrated results.

Apr 4, 2013, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Reason? ]

Sorry, but ignorance on your behalf does not count for anything. Kind of like ignorance of the law does not preclude you from being arrested for a crime.

Who could ever recruit Tobacco Road-talented players to

Apr 4, 2013, 11:09 AM [ in reply to I think Brad Brownell is a good coach..... ]

Clemson? If it's not Roy Williams or Coach K, then I don't see anyone else out there now who could recruit that kind of talent to Clemson. A new basketball coach would have to be of that name brand and not another up-and-comer that few kids have heard mentioned.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, we could start with the fact he's proven it his entire

Apr 4, 2013, 12:12 PM [ in reply to A good coach? ]

career including his short stint at Clemson. Does that help? His biggest issue is experience and depth. We will be better in both areas next year, so let's wait and see before we tar and feather the guy.

If you have to ask, you prolly wouldn't grasp the

Apr 3, 2013, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell bashers ]

explanation...

That's an excellent point.***

Apr 4, 2013, 1:39 PM

Apr 3, 2013, 10:57 AM

Yes,that's all good and well,but where was he this season?
Oh's that right ,both he and our other young terrfific recruit Devin Coleman missed the season due to injuries.
Just fuel for the fire for those not willing to give Brad at least another season to get his system,and players in place.

Don't have a scout.com account...BUT IF you're thinking...

Apr 3, 2013, 11:39 AM

...that Blossomgame coming off of that leg injury that has kept him off the floor for a year, coming in as a red shirt freshman will take over an ACC game BY HIMSELF, you're in for a rude awakening.

Blossomgame may be a great player, but he will certainly not be surrounded by players that will be able to carry their own water throughout the ACC regular season.

Additionally, you have forgotten to mention that Brownell runs a 35 MPH governor on his offense. Take a thoroughbred and tie the bridle tight to the saddle horn and you'll get a good picture of Blossomgame running a Brad Brownell offense.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

I agree with you that a kid who didn't play last year

Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 AM

isn't going to come in and change the course of a program...but as far as Brad running a slow offense and also not pressing/fast break etc...he didn't have much of a choice this past year. He had no depth at all to play with and next year doesn't get a lot better. It's not like he could run 5 players in and 5 out. He only had 8 that played and KJ got hurt which reduced depth again. He was essentially playing the hand he was dealt.

Next season, he will be playing the hand he's dealt himself.

Apr 3, 2013, 11:52 AM

Let's see how that turns out.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I can't see this turning out too good.....

Apr 3, 2013, 11:55 AM

it's like watching a car crash in slow motion...you know it's going to be bad you're just wondering....is it going to be a glancing blow or a full head on collision.

I think Browell's future pretty much rides on the backs

Apr 3, 2013, 12:03 PM

of Blossomgame and Rooks. If those guys are studs, thus indicating what Brownell is building may be heading in the right direction afer all, then there may be hope. If, on the other hand, if they are just more of the same, that is raw recruits who need at least a couple of years before they may be capable of being a force in the ACC, then Brownell is done.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Don't have a scout.com account...BUT IF you're thinking...

Apr 3, 2013, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Don't have a scout.com account...BUT IF you're thinking... ]

At this point, Blossomgame's expectations for many are what Milton Jennings was supposed to be. I'm not sure he can live up to that, though I doubt if he does there will be nearly as much venom towards him for not living up to unrealistic expectations.

Need offense - Move Roper to 1 & start best scorer at 2

Apr 3, 2013, 12:57 PM

Must coach best scorers to play great defense and get them on the court. The defense "rules" approach means we lose most games by 5 to 15 points.

Need good hands and quickness at all positions to create some sort of trasition offense. We need 3 to 4 players to average in the 9 to 15 ppg range. It is hard to see this happening without transition offense given our lack of great shooters and height. I am hoping several of our guys become capable "scorers" but see them as better offensive players in the open court. I do not see any player on the team that can create an offensive presence at the 5. This means limited double teams inside - harder to get inside / out threes. Also allows opponent's big guys to patrol the lane cutting down effectiveness of driving slashing type scorers. Our half court offense looks to be limited unless several players make significant strides in consistency of their jump shots.

Thinking higher risk - higher reward play? Otherwise it's like water boarding.

Roper IS our best backcourt scorer...***

Apr 3, 2013, 4:27 PM

Apr 3, 2013, 2:17 PM

I am not a basher but I think most people would agree that significant progress needs to be seen next year. Im not saying he has to go to the sweet 16 but just some kind of foundation to build on.

That or just win in Chapel Hill. Ill give him another year no matter what next year looks like if he just does that :)

Apr 4, 2013, 10:19 AM

Wouldn't be surprised to see Roper move to the 1 and have Devin Coleman start at the 2. He would have been a big contributor this year had he not had his injury, and showed flashes as a freshman. I'd expect Roper to be a hybrid 1/2 guard, similar to Demontez Stitt's former role.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN insider analysis from a year ago:

Apr 4, 2013, 11:19 AM

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/06/2012
Strengths:
Blossomgame is a face-up 4-man that is a high level athlete that can score around the basket by utilizing his quickness off the floor. He is also an outstanding offensive rebounder that reloads and explodes off the floor with his second and third jumps faster than his competition. He is a difficult match-up at the 4-spot because not only can he score around the paint, but he can knock down open 3-balls as well.
Weaknesses:
Blossomgame, who may be closer to 6-6, is a little under-sized at the high major power forward position, but for teams that play with four on the perimeter he will have an easier adjustment. Although defensively he plays bigger because of his length and quickness he may have difficulty matching up with the physical size and strength of the traditional power players.
Bottom Line:
If Blossomgame grows a couple of inches and can pack on 15-20 more pounds he becomes a nightmare to match-up with and an absolute steal for Clemson. If he doesn't he may be able to evolve into more of a combo-forward that plays more on the perimeter as a wing. Love his attitude and energy level that he brings to thevgame.

Brownell took an undersized

Apr 4, 2013, 12:08 PM

UNCW team to the tourney and went further than op.... Plus all the other coaches say he is a good coach

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Brownell took an undersized

Apr 4, 2013, 1:41 PM

How is not making the round of 32 further than OP?

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic