Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
During the season, if a player tests positive,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 905

During the season, if a player tests positive,

Jul 31, 2020, 1:29 PM

which WILL happen, will they follow the lead of MLB and cancel the next game, or would they actually be sensible and just have that player sit out? And I guess if someone does test positive, and they do sit out, then they'd likely be out for 2 games, since they make people quarantine for 14 days.

I wish they'd say, with all of these announcements, if the people with positive tests were symptomatic or not. That would be good information to have. You'd think this thing had a 10-15% mortality rate or higher the way we're treating it, even though 80-90% are asymptomatic, even fewer get hospitalized to any degree, and way far fewer succumb to it.

This is gonna be crazy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why I doubt the season will be completed.

Jul 31, 2020, 1:34 PM

As contagious as the virus seems to be, there will be more positive tests. There has to be some threshold for canceling a game. For example:

What if a few star players are out?
What if half of the starters are out?
What if several coaches get it?
What if someone on a team dies from it?

And if games are canceled or rescheduled, how do you make them up? How will the season be considered fair and equitable if some teams play more games than others? It will be a huge mess.

As case numbers rise, it will be "bad optics" for games to continue to be played and more people to be exposed to those who are COVID positive. The outside pressure to cancel games, and ultimately the season, will be enormous.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Best solution is to not test anyone unless they get

Jul 31, 2020, 1:48 PM

significant symptoms. But if you're going to test the entire team regularly, and make whoever is positive sit out 14 days, I don't see a season happening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There will be weekly testing according to ACC protocol

Jul 31, 2020, 2:06 PM

The ACC has already established the protocol and it includes testing 3 days before every single game. It also includes a 10-day isolation for those testing positive and a 14-day quarantine for those coming in close contact with those testing positive.

"In the sport of football, all members of the football team (“Team Members”) and
those that are in close contact with Team Members (as explained below) shall be
tested each week beginning with the week of the first competition against an
opposing team. The test must be administered within three (3) calendar days of
the day of competition (e.g., Wednesday test prior to a Saturday game)."

"A student-athlete identified through contact tracing and required to quarantine for
14 days must complete the full quarantine before returning to activity. The MAG
will update its guidance in this area if the CDC guidance changes."

"Pursuant to CDC guidance, a student-athlete who tests positive for COVID-19
shall be isolated for at least 10 days from the onset of symptoms/positive test and
at least 1 day (i.e., 24 hours) has passed since recovery defined as resolution of
fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and improvement of
respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath)."

https://theacc.com/documents/2020/7/29//Report_of_ACC_MAG_7_29_20.pdf?id=1168

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: During the season, if a player tests positive,

Jul 31, 2020, 1:54 PM

Juan Soto of the Nationals tested positive and took 5 negative tests after and they still held him out a few more days. Can you imagine giving credence to a less than 20% probability over a more than 80% probability for letting someone play? Clearly the number of faulty test kits is nearing 50%.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If society maintains its current level of alarmism, there

Jul 31, 2020, 2:09 PM

will be no season.

To date - if anyone gets it, then "contact tracing" dictates that anyone who has come in contact with that person must be quarantined for 10-14 days as well, right?

If we stick with those rules, then one positive test would take out a whole football team...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 905
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic