Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hypocrisy? Bernie Sanders wants minimum wage raised to $15 an hour BUT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Hypocrisy? Bernie Sanders wants minimum wage raised to $15 an hour BUT

Jul 24, 2015, 7:44 AM

He pays his interns only $12.00 per hour. Anyone or any law preventing him from paying what he wants other businesses/people to pay?

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/services/internships#paid

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hypocrisy? Bernie Sanders wants minimum wage raised to $15 an hour BUT

Jul 24, 2015, 7:45 AM

And to point out, I don't dislike him, I think he is a much more likeable politician than the other front runner dem candidate

Re: Hypocrisy? Bernie Sanders wants minimum wage raised to $15 an hour BUT

Jul 24, 2015, 8:03 AM

Candidates should be called out, he needs to put his money where is mouth is.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do interns generally get full pay?

Jul 24, 2015, 8:10 AM

Not defending, just asking because I don't know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I interned in college, and got full pay.

Jul 24, 2015, 8:11 AM

Was not in any political capacity though, so I'm not sure how it works. I think camcgee did that sort of stuff.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is pointing out Democrat hypocrisy really newsworthy?***

Jul 24, 2015, 10:38 AM

Re: Is pointing out Democrat hypocrisy really newsworthy?***

Jul 24, 2015, 11:31 AM

Because Republicans are shining examples sincerity.

Doesn't intern imply indentured servitude?

Jul 24, 2015, 11:48 AM

Interns are paid nowadays?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very few Capitol Hill interns even get paid

Jul 24, 2015, 12:31 PM

It's interesting that he does pay all of his interns, although kind of funny that he doesn't think his interns should make the minimum he wants everybody else to get paid. Interns aren't supposed to be providing for a family with their wages and they aren't supposed to keep those jobs for long... but isn't that also what people say about minimum wage jobs?

My internship on Capitol Hill paid $1500/ month, and I was only paid because I was a college graduate. I'm pretty sure that works out to a good bit less than $12/ hour, since I was working full time and especially since Hill staff all work at least 50 hours a week.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very few Capitol Hill interns even get paid

Jul 24, 2015, 12:41 PM

That's the exact same thing people say about minimum wage jobs.

Just hypocritical for him to want the mom/pop corner grocery to pay everyone at least $15 an hour while he doesn't do the same.

Re: Very few Capitol Hill interns even get paid

Jul 24, 2015, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Very few Capitol Hill interns even get paid ]

Only a 3rd US Senators pay their interns, and most do nothing to help with housing, etc.

However, a lot are part of class credit programs, like teacher interns.

What a cheapskate. What's wrong with $25 an hour?***

Jul 24, 2015, 12:37 PM

Re: What a cheapskate. What's wrong with $25 an hour?***

Jul 24, 2015, 12:44 PM

How are republicans regulating #######? Did I miss that memo somehow?

Or is he referring to how BOTH parties regulate #######? If a woman tries to sell a piece of her body, her ######, what happens?

As of 2013, he's one of only 35 that even pay interns...

Jul 24, 2015, 1:02 PM

At $12.00/hr. x 40hrs./week that would be $1920/month which would put him the highest among those disclosed... Your hypocrisy is specious at best... Link:http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/08/how-the-senate-exploits-unpaid-interns/279111/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As of 2013, he's one of only 35 that even pay interns...

Jul 24, 2015, 1:03 PM

I don't care that he pays more than someone else. FACT is he is NOT paying what he wants others to pay.

NOT hard to understand.

It's an internship vs. a full-time job... again, specious...***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:05 PM

Re: It's an internship vs. a full-time job... again, specious...***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:07 PM

MANY minimum wage jobs aren't full time jobs, yet he wants them paid $15 an hour also.

Keep spinning. ??

Re: It's an internship vs. a full-time job... again, specious...***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:08 PM

Hey, that guy working McDonald's while out of school should be paid $15 per hour, work for me during summer breaks and be paid $12 an hour.

65 senators say work for me and DON'T get paid. At least

Jul 24, 2015, 1:12 PM

he's paying for on-the-job training. Are you truly this hypocritical or are you just plain frickin' stupid?

Re: 65 senators say work for me and DON'T get paid. At least

Jul 24, 2015, 1:16 PM

Again, I credit him for paying his interns but don't credit him for paying him less than what he wants others to pay.

Are you so freaking stupid to not realize ALL minimum wage jobs are also being paid for on-the-job training?

Keep spinning

"All minimum wage jobs" are NOT being paid for training.

Jul 24, 2015, 1:21 PM

As to Senate interns, why do you think those interns for the 65 other senators are willing to work for nothing? You stuck your foot in your mouth, so go suck your toes...

Re: "All minimum wage jobs" are NOT being paid for training.

Jul 24, 2015, 1:24 PM

Actually they are.

Those job help people get the skills needed to move up in this world. Keep spinning.

Those interns are also working for training to get ahead.

Keep spinning.

And Bernie is paying his 80% while most are scamming...***

Jul 25, 2015, 2:16 PM

No pay? Slavery!!!!***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:09 PM [ in reply to As of 2013, he's one of only 35 that even pay interns... ]

Re: No pay? Slavery!!!!***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:11 PM

I do credit Sanders for paying his interns but don't push $15 per hour on others when you're not paying them that.

Weird how that works but the spinmasters go to work fulltime spinning how that doesn't make him hypocritical

Who's the spinmaster...?***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:15 PM

Re: No pay? Slavery!!!!***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:19 PM [ in reply to No pay? Slavery!!!!*** ]

I think the McDonald's on the corner should pay $13 per hour, so that they can use the same excuse solos is using above.

Hey, we're paying more than those guys across the street and we're paying for on-the-job training. LOL

Sounds like those ingrates should just be thankful for what

Jul 24, 2015, 1:18 PM [ in reply to As of 2013, he's one of only 35 that even pay interns... ]

he gives them, amerite?

null

Re: Sounds like those ingrates should just be thankful for what

Jul 24, 2015, 1:25 PM

Be thankful I'm giving you $12 an hour but Pshh. ..see that mom and pop store across the street? I want to require them to pay a minimum of $15 per hour

Re: Sounds like those ingrates should just be thankful for what

Jul 24, 2015, 1:28 PM

My employer has many summer and winter break interns, all are paid and are doing the on-the-job training. If my manager said other companies should be paying interns/ employees more than him, I'd call out his hypocrisy as well.

"Your hypocisy is specious at best"

Jul 24, 2015, 1:29 PM [ in reply to As of 2013, he's one of only 35 that even pay interns... ]

Truly Shakespearean.

I've been associated with much worse... ;~)***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:35 PM

Who knew we could legislate economic prosperity?***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:33 PM

Wall Street... and they've paid and been paid well for it.***

Jul 24, 2015, 1:36 PM

Personal gain is not the same as economic prosperity.***

Jul 25, 2015, 10:48 AM

Nothing "personal" about the the Banksters, but your

Jul 25, 2015, 1:09 PM

correct about the "gains".... They essentially raped this country in '07/'08... Either you're part of it, directly or subserviently, or you're just suffering from cognitive dissonance...

The root cause of the rape was government, not the banks.***

Jul 25, 2015, 1:53 PM

Right. Bundling and leveraging derivatives had nothing to

Jul 25, 2015, 2:14 PM

do with it... WTFU... This country is run by politicians bought and paid for by the Banksters... Our laws are written by their lobbyists...If you want to call it the government, fine. Our "government" is OWNED by the Banksters... Citizens United only perpetuates it... "Yuh, it wuz da gubmint"... Again,.... WTFU !!!

What was bundled, and why?***

Jul 25, 2015, 4:18 PM

Mortgages... don't act dumb. Naive, maybe....***

Jul 26, 2015, 3:30 PM

Why were they bundled?***

Jul 26, 2015, 4:56 PM

To scam everybody else as to their value which was rated

Jul 26, 2015, 5:10 PM

by the 'local' agencies as AAA (bonu$ in the mail)...

The scam came from the government. You cannot allow people

Jul 26, 2015, 5:52 PM

to borrow money who can't afford it. Only liberals think you can legislate prosperity.

It was ALL banks, not just the Freddies. They knew what

Jul 26, 2015, 6:24 PM

they were doing. Again, naive....

A Government-Mandated Housing Bubble

Jul 26, 2015, 10:49 PM

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/13/housing-bubble-subprime-opinions-contributors_0216_peter_wallison_edward_pinto.html

There is very little doubt that the underlying cause of the current credit crisis was a housing bubble. But the collapse of the bubble would not have led to a worldwide recession and credit crisis if almost 40% of all U.S. mortgages–25 million loans–were not of the low quality known as subprime or Alt-A.

In 1992, Congress gave a new affordable housing “mission” to Fannie and Freddie, and authorized the Department of Housing and Urban Development to define its scope through regulations.

Shortly thereafter, Fannie Mae, under Chairman Jim Johnson, made its first “trillion-dollar commitment” to increase financing for affordable housing. What this meant for the quality of the mortgages that Fannie–and later Freddie–would buy has not become clear until now.

On a parallel track was the Community Reinvestment Act. New CRA regulations in 1995 required banks to demonstrate that they were making mortgage loans to underserved communities, which inevitably included borrowers whose credit standing did not qualify them for a conventional mortgage loan.

To meet this new requirement, insured banks–like the GSEs–had to reduce the quality of the mortgages they would make or acquire. As the enforcers of CRA, the regulators themselves were co-opted into this process, approving lending practices that they would otherwise have scorned. The erosion of traditional mortgage standards had begun.

Where, then, did all the low-quality loans come from?

From 1994 to 2003, Fannie and Freddie’s purchases of mortgages, as a percentage of all mortgage originations, increased from 37% to an all-time high of 57%, effectively cornering the conventional conforming market. With leverage ratios that averaged 75-to-1, and funds raised with implicit government backing, the GSEs were pouring money into the housing market. This in itself would have driven the housing bubble.

But it also appears that, perhaps as early as 1993, Fannie Mae began to offer easy financing terms and lowered its loan standards in order to meet congressionally mandated affordable housing goals and fulfill the company’s trillion-dollar commitment.

...the fact that that Fannie and Freddie now hold 60% of all outstanding Alt-A loans provides a strong indication of the purchases they were making for many earlier years.

This set off a frenzy of subprime and Alt-A mortgage origination, in which–as incredible as it seems–Fannie and Freddie were competing with Wall Street and one another for low-quality loans. Even when they were not the purchasers, the GSEs were Wall Street’s biggest customers, often buying the AAA tranches of subprime and Alt-A pools that Wall Street put together. By 2007 they held $227 billion (one in six loans) in these nonprime pools, and approximately $1.6 trillion in low-quality loans altogether.

Re-read your last paragraph... explains it all.***

Jul 27, 2015, 2:52 PM

You clearly have not thought through what you just said.

Jul 27, 2015, 3:14 PM

Fanny Mae was mandating that 55% of new loans be sub-prime. They were then purchasing those same mortgages from the banks. Like they didn't know they were sub-prime?

Ask Iceland, etc. where they got theirs... I'm not denying

Jul 27, 2015, 3:35 PM

the Freddies' involvement, only pointing out the WS/Banksters/Rating Agencies collusion, something covered by the FED (which they control) to the detriment of the general public at large... Where it started is only a partial look at the whole scamming conflagration...

Does Obamacare Cover...

Jul 25, 2015, 2:02 PM

Does the Affordable Health Care Law cover dementia? I ask this because Bernie seems to have forgotten where he is. This is America, and I refuse to pay taxes on my income unless we are at war with another nation. That's the law. I will keep every penny that I earn. Believe that! Congress hasn't declared war since WWII.. So therefore, there should be no more than a 1% income tax on any American... To even consider penalizing someone for success in the land of opportunity is absurd to say the least. If you are poor in America it is due to a couple of reasons.

1. You have no clue how to invest.

2. You have no clue how to manage your personal finances.

3. You have zero education nor desire to pursue any endeavor in life that would generate any sort of
wealth.

4. You have voted Democrat for 50 years or longer in hopes of finding a savior to build some non-existing utopia.

5. You have ended up in a situation beyond your control. ( This is why the Church exist and why people pay a tithe.)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

"LOST".... somewhere in the desert.... Maybe it's the heat?***

Jul 25, 2015, 2:05 PM

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic