Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone know the reason The ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 952

Does anyone know the reason The ACC

Dec 13, 2012, 7:41 PM

hasn't started The ACC Network yet? I would think with the large foot print and large population base I would think this could be far more valuable than the ESPN money. NC,VA,FL,NY,Northern Ky&Southern Ohio, Chicago,SC, and Atlanta. I watch the Big10 network from time to time and they show a lot of old content The ACC has a lot of old content that would be very valuable. Not sure why they haven't started this investment yet, maybe they will use the $53M from Maryland as start up capital for this new network.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone know the reason The ACC

Dec 13, 2012, 8:29 PM

Because the cable providers are strongly resistant to paying any kind of premium for content for their basic tier, which is what the Big10 was able to get with a 25 year deal - which was before cable subscribers started shrinking for the first time in the history of the industry. It is also the reason "Project X" from the SEC isn't on the air. But with Notre Dame on board for tier 3 rights and Olympic sports I would think the ACC would become a very valuable commodity in this area - it's just what kind of network it is going to be is the question. Of course the conferences want the providers to force every single subscriber to pay a fee and stick into their bill and put it in the basic lineup. But, I'm just not sure we're ever going to see that again - because the SEC network would already be on if they were.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks viztiz.

Dec 13, 2012, 9:13 PM

nm

It is in the works

Dec 13, 2012, 8:34 PM

The Acc is working on a network with ESPN and NBC using NDs deal as an in. It will come but a lot of details have to be worked out and they are trying to maximize the coverage with NDs national following. All of this is coming from TCI.

null

Who is TCI? Would like too see more information on

Dec 13, 2012, 9:15 PM

this. I would think The ACC Network is the only thing that can get the acc close too the money of the Big10 and SEC.

Re: Does anyone know the reason The ACC

Dec 13, 2012, 8:48 PM

Swofford-Jefferson Pilot. Enough said.

I'd try it with FOX -- they have SportSouth, Carolina etc.

Dec 13, 2012, 8:59 PM

Shouldn't be too hard to link them together on the Basic tiers of Charter, TW and others.

Re: I'd try it with FOX -- they have SportSouth, Carolina etc.

Dec 13, 2012, 9:50 PM

That would give access but this issue is getting revenue on a per subscriber basis. Most cable/sat providers include 1 Fox Regional network in your basic tier for which they pay about a $2.25 carriage fee to Fox. If you want more regional networks you have to pay for a premium sports pack. And any opt in system will generate substantially less revenue than the Big10 model. ESPN brings in about $4.75 per subscriber - just ESPN - the rest all carry their own fee. SportsSouth, by comparison, has a less than $.20 carriage fee and was more about moving Braves games out of the TBS prime time lineup. The Big 10 managed to strike a deal that gets them roughly $1 per subscriber in markets with a Big10 university. It is going to be very difficult to convince any providers to add any network under terms similar to the Big10s. Dish took AMC (pretty much the most popular original programming in tv right now) off the air for almost a half a year over an amount of money less than what Fox gets paid for a regional sports net. They hemorrhage subscribers every time they raise rates so they are fighting back vigorously on paying carriage fees.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Swoffie got a sweetheart deal for his son who works at...

Dec 13, 2012, 9:01 PM

Raycom

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have.....its on youtube***

Dec 13, 2012, 9:07 PM

Re: Prolly just Swoffie spin to stir the pot and I'm sure it

Dec 13, 2012, 9:16 PM

would be basketball oriented anyway.

Replies: 10
| visibility 952