Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you trust GHop enough to return kicks this year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 2,719

Do you trust GHop enough to return kicks this year?

Jul 19, 2015, 9:08 AM

I don't. I have too many concerns about him fielding punts. As a WR his concentration comes and goes, which is why he has a lot of drops. If he drops a punt, you basically giving points to the other team. He maybe electric once he gets the ball, but I'd rather have a guy with better concentration back there like Artavis.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i want the guy that wins the competition...

Jul 19, 2015, 9:27 AM

this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Punts, kickoffs or both?

Jul 19, 2015, 9:33 AM

I want the best person for each.

Number 1 catch them, number 2 don't fumble - then from there - get a positive return.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Do you trust GHop enough to return kicks this year?

Jul 19, 2015, 9:41 AM

Since he has developed bricks for hands and can't even catch a cold, I personally would say no.

If Dabs trusts him, then so do I. And you should as well***

Jul 19, 2015, 9:46 AM

Jul 19, 2015, 9:49 AM

Yes

Jul 19, 2015, 10:20 AM

I had high expectations of GHop but he has been disappointing. Too many drops. He might need to stick to pancakes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has to prove that he can hold on to the ball

Jul 19, 2015, 10:25 AM

If he can prove that, in a game situation, then he should be fine. I'm guessing that we'll see lots of guys tryout for the job(s) in the first two games.

Re: He has to prove that he can hold on to the ball

Jul 19, 2015, 10:31 AM

He didn't drop too many in that UNCheat game , and in fact had he not caught those 2 TDS , we may have been in for a real shootout .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

G Hopper stats

Jul 19, 2015, 10:49 AM

Has 2 years as the first backup WR guy . 77 receptions for 811 yds and 8 tds .
Not bad for a second team WR . Let's see what he does this season in a more prominent role.
Everyone drops passes . I think a pair of his drops looked like 6 pts if he were to have held on , which may contribute to people thinking it's happening more often than normal ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: G Hopper stats

Jul 19, 2015, 10:50 AM

I think some were at critical points of the game or could have extended drives. Dabo felt confident enough to put him in the RA bowl. After reading Tigerdug's post, maybe I have been a little hard on GH. So much talent at the receiver position, he may be pressing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

check those stats dug.***

Jul 19, 2015, 10:53 AM [ in reply to G Hopper stats ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that's it. One fumble or dropped pass at a critical

Jul 19, 2015, 11:48 AM [ in reply to G Hopper stats ]

time, especially if it's early in his career, and he "can't hold onto the ball". He can catch 50 more passes without a drop, or have 100 more carries without a fumble, but he will forever be "fumble prone" or "butter fingers" to many.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I should have been more specific...

Jul 19, 2015, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: He has to prove that he can hold on to the ball ]

He has had flashes of brilliance (UNC game) and flashes of not so much (USuck). He has dropped several passes that were easy and had lots of time to think about it.

Not sure what you mean. He's played 2 seasons, had 60

Jul 19, 2015, 10:58 AM [ in reply to He has to prove that he can hold on to the ball ]

receptions, 12 returns, and 18 rushes, and has never turned the ball over.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

perhaps the dropped passes? and here are ghop's stats...

Jul 19, 2015, 11:12 AM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205530356

Sorry - 50 receptions, not 60. I know he's had a couple of

Jul 19, 2015, 11:43 AM

drops, but I never thought of him as having to prove he could hold onto the ball. I think sometimes t-net experts are too quick to label a player anyway.

- H. L. Mencken

and it's not 12 returns &/or 18 rushes...

Jul 19, 2015, 11:49 AM

;)

early in his time with clemson the word was the coaches didn't trust him with ball security & focus. some of that's come out in suspensions and open conversations dabo's had with the media types.

if he earns the coaches trust & wins the job, then he's the guy. i personally don't care how many drops he had last year and i'd imagine you'd agree, smiling... this ain't last year.

if he's run out there on kor or pr, he'll have earned the spot and that goes for pt at wr.

camp soon, can't wait.
_____

here, one of the stories i mentioned above...

Nikki Hood Story - GHop

Yep - I can't even read; probably shouldn't have had that

Jul 19, 2015, 12:23 PM

"just one more" beer last night. I know Hopper has had some problems, and holding on to the ball may be the least of them. I hope he's gotten it all out of his system, whatever it is, because I think he can be a huge asset if he has. And yes, I trust the coaches completely; if they put their trust in him, as far as I'm concerned, he's ready.

- H. L. Mencken

haha, you didn't bring enough for e'rybody?

Jul 19, 2015, 12:35 PM

and me too, smiling, the coaches know the difference it can make & what's most important on kor/pr... the ball, the ball & field pos. or a small percentage play that creates 6. it's a big piece.

i've seen some talking about the best hands on the team, which probably belonged to sammy after nuk left, but sammy fumbled trying to high-point a punt. having returned punts, it's not the same and a whole different monster when 9 or 10 guys on the other team have bad intentions...

the coaches know the what up and hopefully the guy steps forward in camp. if that's ghop, fantastic.

Drops. How many has he dropped? I can think of 3.***

Jul 19, 2015, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Not sure what you mean. He's played 2 seasons, had 60 ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Drops. How many has he dropped? I can think of 3.***

Jul 19, 2015, 1:08 PM

I think Scott gets first look on punts.

I have a feeling one fo the true freshmen may be given that

Jul 19, 2015, 11:01 AM

duty. Just a gut.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I have a feeling one fo the true freshmen may be given that

Jul 19, 2015, 11:53 AM

I agree. I think Ray Ray or Mark Fields will land the punt return job.

I agree

Jul 19, 2015, 11:55 AM [ in reply to I have a feeling one fo the true freshmen may be given that ]

I think we may see RRMIII and Cain with a good bit of punt and kick return responsibilities. JMO.

Who has the best hands on the team? Peake maybe.

Jul 19, 2015, 11:59 AM

I'd trust him back there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who has the best hands on the team? Peake maybe.

Jul 19, 2015, 12:03 PM

Yep , messed that up . 50 receptions for 480 yds and 5 yds.
Trying to read and push a fuel barge in NYC ...comprehension is going to fail at one or the other ;)

DB23

Jul 19, 2015, 12:04 PM

Tds*

DB23

Jul 19, 2015, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Who has the best hands on the team? Peake maybe. ]

Definitely. I'd go with Charone in that mix. Don't know why I didn't think of him. Great hands, and he can flat out FLY.

Jul 19, 2015, 1:08 PM

So what are you gonna do if Dabo sends Hopper out to return?

Kickoffs - Maybe-----Punts - No

Jul 20, 2015, 5:09 AM

He would have time to pick up a kickoff if he fumbled it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 2,719
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic