Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You know, I'm not sure how good a team we really are
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

You know, I'm not sure how good a team we really are

Oct 23, 2013, 1:48 PM

right now, and I think that makes this loss so much harder to swallow. We know our potential and we also evidently know how to choke under pressure. But this wasn't just Tajh choking. It was darn near the entire team. I would say the OL played the best out of anyone out there Saturday night. Tajh had plenty of time. He was pressured MUCH more by LSU and even UGA. But we had dropped passes, bad passes, turnovers, etc. And the defense was also exploited terribly. We got relatively little pressure on Jameis, and when we did he did what he does, just like he does it every week.

But the huge gaps in performance concern me more than anything else. I think our coaches, players, and even the athletic department itself got WAY to wrapped up in this game. Let's start with the AD. They let cameras on the buses. They advertised breaking the stadium noise record and paid some guy from the Guiness Book of World Records to be on hand. We had Game Day on campus. The AD even, for the first time EVER, had enough portojohns in Lot 2. They pulled out all the stops for this game. Then we have Dabo himself. He did several interviews in his office talking to whatever ESPN football babe was on duty that day. Dabo kept saying this was just another game, and then he goes on to show the ESPN football babe all the cool stuff in his office. And then we have the players doing interviews about the game, especially Tajh on ESPN, etc. and obviously watching and relishing all the coverage. All this stuff combines to create an atmosphere that this is not JUST another game.

To fix this problem Dabo needs to keep his players AWAY from ESPN the week before a big game like this, or every week as far as I am concerned. DO NOT allow interviews in your office. If ESPN wants to talk to you, they can do it on Tuesday with the rest of the media. And if you're going to try for a noise record, don't tell anyone. Heck, I would have even tolerated the usual inadequate number of portajohns for the game. All we needed was Dabo to mention to the fans about being loud, like Tommy did for the 2005 Miami game. And he could do that in his Tuesday meeting with the media.

Our players, on Saturday night, choked because everyone, from the players, to the coaches, to the athletic department, to the fans, did NOT treat this just like any other game.

The only question now is how do we respond...between the ears.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey "Tiggity"..astute & interesting take & I concur too much

Oct 23, 2013, 2:12 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, we're not as good as most people think.

Oct 23, 2013, 3:39 PM

But I pretty much disagree with the "choking" reasoning and causes listed.

We have a fundamental flaw in our philosophy and our scheme, along with severe recruiting deficiencies in the areas that count (CB, LB, OL, DL)

We are all-world bad arses against sub-par competition, which pretty much includes everyone in the ACC not named FSU (and maybe Miami.) We get beat against quality defenses. Every time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree, we're not as good as most people think.

Oct 23, 2013, 3:46 PM

I keep seeing and hearing these extreme words in regards to our team…words like "fundamental" and "severe"…I'm sorry guys. I know we lost big last weekend, but I just don't think the ship is going down like so many of you TNetters and radio call-in junkies make it sound. Just my two cents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think the ship is going down,

Oct 23, 2013, 4:18 PM

but then again, I wasn't one of the people who already bought tickets to the ACC CG and the MNC...

I'm saying our ship is right where it has been the last 15 years. The rest of the ships just suck, except for one or two.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last 15 years? Really???

Oct 23, 2013, 4:48 PM

Not sure where you get that from. The W-L records alone prove that we have progressed significantly.

No they don't, just that the ACC has regressed***

Oct 23, 2013, 5:19 PM

Apparently the SEC "has regressed" also. Relativity...***

Oct 23, 2013, 5:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We aren't doing very well against the SEC team that we are

Oct 24, 2013, 9:13 AM

supposed to own.

Re: We aren't doing very well against the SEC team that we are

Oct 24, 2013, 9:20 AM

We're 11-9 vs SEC last 10 years. 4-4 last 3...spurrier has our number...

You always seem to show up after a loss to spew your ignorance....there's no ship going anywhere...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with your last statement, and that's the problem.***

Oct 24, 2013, 9:22 AM

Oh come on, the ACC has never been great. It was probably

Oct 24, 2013, 9:49 AM [ in reply to No they don't, just that the ACC has regressed*** ]

a little worse than usual from '04-'12, but lets not pretend like it was some great conference before that. FSU was in their own stratosphere for an entire decade routinely beating everyone else by 30-40pts. There was usually one other pretty good team that could maybe give them a game and finish 2nd in the conference like mid-90s UVA, UNC for a year or two under Brown, and late-90s GT with Hamilton, but that was really it.

If you think our teams that were finishing .500 back then were as good our last few you are crazy.

Re: That LSU defense sucked, huh?***

Oct 23, 2013, 5:26 PM [ in reply to I agree, we're not as good as most people think. ]

No. The NFL sucked.... 8 of them in the first 5 rounds.***

Oct 23, 2013, 5:35 PM

Pretty sure there was more ESPN coverage for FSU this game

Oct 23, 2013, 3:42 PM

Game is decided by the players on the field.

Re: You know, I'm not sure how good a team we really are

Oct 23, 2013, 4:08 PM

Well said

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2013, 9:16 AM

We are not as good as we thought we were last week, but we are not as bad as we think we are this week.

The signs were there with NC State and Boston College, but we beat Georgia, and were temporarily blinded.

Oct 24, 2013, 9:23 AM

Clemson does not respond well to hype and high expectations. Best to keep hype to a minimum.

Defense gets a pass IMO, especially for the first 20+ min

Oct 24, 2013, 9:25 AM

Defense gets a pass IMO, especially for the first 20+ min effort they gave. You can't expect them to hold up all night when the offense is giving them nothing to hope for and not allowing them to rest a bit on the sidelines.

Or put it this way..... We are not good enough or mature

Oct 24, 2013, 9:40 AM

enough to handle all of the hype and crapola that goes with it. Yes Tajh is quite mature, as well as some of the others, but as a team we just are not there yet. I still think we can be an outstanding team, but we still have a lot of growing to do. We are still growing, but not there yet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right. This team was not "different", unfortunately.

Oct 24, 2013, 9:46 AM

Maturity and focus were talked about, but not necessarily shown.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Plus one

Oct 24, 2013, 10:07 AM

Tajh did have plenty of time. Hope we get all of this worked out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic