Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear Mac Nurds (soccer and ???)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Dear Mac Nurds (soccer and ???)

Aug 11, 2020, 1:54 PM

My Surface Pro just died. It was a good run, but c'est la vie.

Thinking about getting an Apple laptop. Never owned anything apple other than phones, tablets, and peripherals.

What's the best bang for the buck in the Macbook world?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure what you need it for but wife got the entry level

Aug 11, 2020, 2:00 PM

macbook air and, while neat and mac and it has an apple on the back, I cannot understand why it cost at least twice what an HP laptop would have cost.

But hey, it's just money and you cannot take it with you (and the faster you spend it, the faster you may meet your maker)

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because it will last at least 5 years longer***

Aug 11, 2020, 2:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just like those apple watches that last a little over a year

Aug 11, 2020, 2:04 PM

?

Granted, my iPhone has almost made it through a 2-year contract without breaking so I will give them that. Any android phone I have had maxes out at 18 months.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no idea about the watches, but I'm on MacBook #2

Aug 11, 2020, 2:07 PM

over the course of 12ish years, while whatever windows based laptop my wife usually ends up buying makes it 2 years max.

My last non-Apple laptop was a Thinkpad Yoga, I can't recall exactly when I got it but it doesn't work anymore. But my original MacBook from like 2008 does.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This...

Aug 11, 2020, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Because it will last at least 5 years longer*** ]

bought a macbook in 2010 and used it for 5 years. Got another in 2015 - just erased it and handed it down to my daughter. Just bought my third in 10 years. This time I got the upgraded processor and memory so this one should last me another 6-7.

I did have to replace the motherboard on the once I just handed down but that was right before I upgraded anyway.

I'm a fan of the 13" MBP with one step up on the processor, memory and storage.

But I have friends who are power users who swear by the Mac Book Air.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dell, HP

Aug 11, 2020, 2:02 PM

laptops on my desk.

No reason on planet earth for me to own an Apple laptop. Especially when I can send the savings back home and feed my nephews tacos for 3 months.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dear Mac Nurds (soccer and ???)

Aug 11, 2020, 2:03 PM

Air if you just need a pron-surfer, pro if you do any serious graphics, video editing, design stuff.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still continue to be bi-technical...

Aug 11, 2020, 2:11 PM

Using Apple and Microsoft.

I use a MacPro because I do video, graphic, music, etc. Mac is going to be overpriced regardless of what you get. But because of my job, Mac also helps me connect a bunch of Macs, iPhones, and iPads.

And I hate Windows 10.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buy a refurbed MacBook pro.

Aug 11, 2020, 2:18 PM

or even an Airbook. Woot has some pretty good deals on them from time to time for ~$1000. Just get as much RAM as you can when you buy it as you can't add that option later.

I bought a 16GB I7 model last year--it was about 3 years old at the time. It came with a new battery and I immediately put a 1TB M2 SSD flash disk in it, boot camped it and put Windows 10 on it. It's clearly the best hardware, and Windows 10 is a superior OS to any version of OSx. Windows 10 will actually run faster on a MAC than it will on a similarly equipped Windows box. I suppose this is due to the drivers and emulation layer that are only written for one type of hardware rather than 100 types of hardware.

I've been running this same combo for work since about 2008, a little after Mac went to Intel based hardware. I don't have to serial cable remote access into switches and routers much anymore, so it made the choice pretty easy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now that might be the best of both worlds there.

Aug 11, 2020, 2:27 PM

Get the hardware integrity of Apple, but still have Windows 10.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

It really is.

Aug 11, 2020, 2:34 PM

I've been recommending this as long as I can remember. I think most people are too intimidated by the boot camp process, but its super easy and the latest version of OSX makes it a breeze to do. And it makes working on corporate networks MUCH more simple, especially when "mapping" drives (none of that SMB:// stuff) and the drives appear correctly (Mac still hasn't figured the MS directory tree stuff out yet). I also don't leave little stubs of my OS all over every where I go like anyone would do with a Mac when it indexes a volume.

I don't remember the last time I logged into the OSx side of the box I'm typing on now. I'm not even sure I could as I don't remember the password I used.

I remember the first time I noticed the OSx crap into my

Aug 11, 2020, 2:38 PM

NAS drives when I had hidden and system folders visible.

I might have to consider that in the future. Build quality and hardware integrity, Apple definitely meets that, my only gripe is Mac OS.

iPhones and iPads are great though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have an Ipad.

Aug 11, 2020, 2:44 PM

My wife does, but I never use it. I can't find a real use for it. I see her Marco Poloing her friends on it a lot, so that's...nice.

I have an old Iphone 7. It works. I'm not sure what promoted me to get an Iphone as I had always had Samsung phones before that. I bought it used, have a cheap month to month plan, and probably won't upgrade it until it dies or I break it. I am not about to finance a telephone, nor pay north of $1000 for one. I just can't get past that in my head.

Signs of getting old and not giving a shyatt I guess.

iPad fits a niche of hybrid of phone and laptop.

Aug 11, 2020, 2:47 PM

Really is a per user basis I think. I have mine on a stand next to me at my desk, have it playing Twitch or Plex during the day, have used it to have a WebEx going so I could still use my workstation at full capacity (I have a 4K monitor, but still). It's also great to futz with on the couch whenever watching TV, I've used it on job sites to open drawings in PDF so it's easier to see than a phone.

Honestly at this point, it's whichever phone OS you're ingrained into, top of the line iPhone and top of the line Samsung or other Android phone are the same, just which one you are used to and which apps you like.

hmmm, that is intredasting.***

Aug 11, 2020, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Buy a refurbed MacBook pro. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I've been quite clear that Mac OS is the worst

Aug 11, 2020, 2:25 PM

operating system in existence. If you want a computer that "just works", and you only use it for the Internet, it's perfect.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/macos-vs-windows-which-os-really-is-the-best

Goodluck sir. I personally would buy a Lenovo laptop.

I've also got a lenovo laptop....

Aug 11, 2020, 2:29 PM

so I can windows native stuff on it, like plug it into my car and my boat NMEA stuff. It takes too much driver fiddling to make that kinda stuff work on the Mac book pro.

The best I can say about it was that it was cheap, and after about $300 of additional ram and SSD, it got a little more usable. Screen resolution is terrible, and one day when I get really bored, it will probably make a good linux box, or a platform to load whatever version of Windows Server is new.

I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad through my corporate enterprise

Aug 11, 2020, 2:32 PM

deal, so it's a solid laptop that has lasted 2 years and shows zero signs of slowing down. 8th gen Intel i5 so should be good for a while.

It's always funny to me whenever people say Apple macbooks last forever compared to Windows laptops...but then compare a $2400 Apple to a $400 Dell.

The hardware is still better, even dollar for dollar.

Aug 11, 2020, 2:40 PM

Aluminum case and the retina high resolution screen are awesome. No plastic! The keyboards always feel better--now with the butterfly keyboard it's even better (even though I use a Bluetooth keyboard most of the time). Past that its higher end windows stuff. And for whatever reason, companies who make windows boxes feel the need to put about 5 pounds of additional battery weight on them. That, and another 200 GB of bloatware stuff that no one uses that just slows the box down.

I've compared the high end Alienware stuff to a mac before, and the Alienware stuff was more expensive than a mac. It may have been a touch faster as it had more ram, but I doubt many are going to be doing SQL lookups on an alienware box.

Yup, agreed above with that.

Aug 11, 2020, 2:42 PM

That said, I prefer Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard over Apple Macbook keyboard, they're both fantastic though. One of the reasons why I bought a Logitech MX Keys keyboard for my desktop.

Although I've been home since March, and have a Logitech G915 which is the #####.

Apple makes the best screens in a laptop for sure.

I'm using a 4 year old Logitech MX2 mouse

Aug 11, 2020, 2:49 PM

I "borrowed" from Clemson. One thing about them, they were not shy on buying hardware. The then A-CIO gave me his credit card and told me to go to the campus bookstore and buy whatever i wanted, so I did. Two of them actually--one for my co worker, too. I think I spent about $6 or $7K that day.

The MX keyboard I had finally died so I bought a bluetooth Jelly Comb keyboard from Amazon for like $40. Holy Crap! Excellent feel and even came with a plastic cover. It used to be silent, but I think I've pounded out the quietness on it in the last 2 years or so. I'd buy another in a minute.

So now that I'm finding Macbook Pros I like,

Aug 11, 2020, 3:51 PM [ in reply to The hardware is still better, even dollar for dollar. ]

I keep seeing some issue crop up with the butterfly keyboards. Sounds like some sort of design flaw that leads to keys sticking and such and costs $700 to repair (unless it's within 4 years of original purchase and they'll replace for free).

Should this be a red flag or not or is this one of those things where 5% of the population with the problem makes 90% of the noise?

If it's a refurb it might be fixed...

Aug 11, 2020, 4:01 PM

the 2019's supposedly fixed it without a structural change and the new one has the magic keyboard which so far I think is great.

My last one was subject to screen delamination. But oddly enough, a microfiber cloth and listerine fixed it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DO NOT BUY A MAC with that keyboard

Aug 11, 2020, 8:18 PM [ in reply to So now that I'm finding Macbook Pros I like, ]

Apple finally fixed it with the 16" last fall, then the new Air and the new 13"

It was/is a big issue that I would not touch a Mac with that keyboard - I had the last 13" (2015) that had the old keyboard, just replaced it with a new one.

Obed®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Up until now I've been doing mostly "normal" laptop stuff,

Aug 11, 2020, 2:51 PM [ in reply to I think I've been quite clear that Mac OS is the worst ]

but ever since this Covid crap I've started doing a lot more video editing for church stuff, and I think half my 2020 has been spend waiting for my AIO PC at home to render. Was thinking the Macbook pro might be a nice replace for the surface that just died (that I used for business) and I could use it for the video editing as well.

MacOS is better at video editing, and the screen will be

Aug 11, 2020, 2:54 PM

easier to configure to display true colors, so it looks like a fit for what you need.

comparison of the models from Wired

Aug 11, 2020, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Up until now I've been doing mostly "normal" laptop stuff, ]

https://www.wired.com/story/which-macbook-should-you-buy/

stay away***

Aug 11, 2020, 2:28 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

In December I bought an iMac

Aug 11, 2020, 4:59 PM

Love it so much, in May I bought a MacBook Pro for when Im on the go. Get a Pro and never look back

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic