Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear GT fans visiting the board
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 88
| visibility 1

Dear GT fans visiting the board

Sep 21, 2016, 9:08 AM

Can you please give us your honest assessment of PJs offense? Not this years offense... just his flexbone offense in general. I know I would be sick if Clemson was running such an archaic offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had a (typically, in my experience) arrogant GT fan/grad

Sep 21, 2016, 9:15 AM

tell me one time that it's the "perfect offense because it's unstoppable when it's done correctly." I argued that it's actually very easy to stop when the defense plays disciplined in their roles and has time to prep for it, pointing out that PJ was (at that point) winless in bowl games and had a terrible record against teams with bye weeks before their game. He then walked away.

I think most of the GT fans I know are getting tired of the system because you can't recruit great players to come run that stupid scheme and the rest of the ACC defenses have started to catch up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not atleast run it from the shotgun

Sep 21, 2016, 9:20 AM

Like GA Southern does? I personally find it very entertaining as I am a spread option guy. I believe even Charleston Southern runs an option offense with the gun. May one day PJ will figure out theres a reason only him and maybe 2 other schools run the flexbone lol

That fart smeller of a coach will never change his system

Sep 21, 2016, 9:21 AM

He is too arrogant and stubborn to modify it. For the life of me I can't figure out why GT hasn't fired him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

If he flounders in the ACC and loses to UGA

Sep 21, 2016, 9:23 AM

I think hes gone.

Glad to see you two have worked things out.

Sep 21, 2016, 9:29 AM

#lifestooshort

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Wouldn't be surprised if GWPTiger hasn't already been

Sep 21, 2016, 9:55 AM

extended an invitation to join the Folks Against Gangs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Yay

Sep 21, 2016, 11:57 AM

harmony!

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: Wouldn't be surprised if GWPTiger hasn't already been

Sep 21, 2016, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Wouldn't be surprised if GWPTiger hasn't already been ]

lol

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Re: That fart smeller of a coach will never change his system

Sep 21, 2016, 9:41 AM [ in reply to That fart smeller of a coach will never change his system ]

He actually tried to modify it back in 2013, but the option is what he knows so it was hard for him to install it imo, we were in the pistol.

Personally I don't mind it, you get a lot of home run plays out of it. Some might say you can stop it if you play disciplined football, but isn't that the case for any offense? Besides being disciplined, you have to be perfect on your tackling, angles, ect because it gives a lot of one on one match ups, but once again that's the same for most offenses.

Now if we could run a spread option I wouldn't mind that either, and even a more pro style offense, as long as we win. The issue with that though, is we have a hard time recruiting to the level of the factory schools, because of academics and other things, and that's even before Paul Johnson so the option allows us to take kids and coach them up to play in our style, which because it is so different plays to our benefit. Paul Johnson has had just as much success as any of the other recent coaches, if I had to complain about one thing it would be the inconsistency, we look great one year and then decent two years and then we just go in a cycle like that. Most GT fans that actually understand football don't mind him, I have met GT fans that don't like him, yet when we start to talk about football or the program they pretty much know nothing.

Don't give me the tough recruiting BS. There are plenty

Sep 21, 2016, 9:53 AM

of schools with tough academics that recruit at a higher level than GT and have football success. That's such a cop out. Plus GT is in a great location for recruiting top players from GA, SC and AL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Don't give me the tough recruiting BS. There are plenty

Sep 21, 2016, 10:10 AM

We have a small pool of degrees to chose from unlike schools like Stanford, Michigan, and note dame, that's a fact, not to mention no matter what degree you get, you have to take calculus, sorry but not every kid can do that.

That's just a really weak excuse***

Sep 21, 2016, 10:20 AM

Re: That's just a really weak excuse***

Sep 21, 2016, 10:26 AM

So you just ignore the FACTS? Ok......

Sep 21, 2016, 10:28 AM

I'm not saying we cant recruit better, because I believe we should be able to. My point is that we are handicapped to some extent, and because of that we can't just go out and get the top kids. Most of them don't care much about academics and to be at GT that's something you care about.

And I'm not saying you're not handicapped by academics

Sep 21, 2016, 10:34 AM

but I'm saying you're handicapped first and foremost by a crappy offense. Academics is in a distant 2nd. It's a weak excuse because without that offense you could recruit plenty of top tier athletes based on your location alone who make grades and have the basic intelligence level to take a calculus class.

Re: And I'm not saying you're not handicapped by academics

Sep 21, 2016, 10:56 AM

We didn't before we ran this offense though is my point. Can we recruit better sure? But history tells us that our coach is doing as good as the others in recent history. I do see where you are coming from though.

Sep 21, 2016, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: That's just a really weak excuse*** ]

facts can still be weak.

HTH

Re: Don't give me the tough recruiting BS. There are plenty

Sep 21, 2016, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't give me the tough recruiting BS. There are plenty ]

I think that the poster was referring to the type of player needed to run this complex offense. Nothing to do with academics! Not very many high schools run this option attack and a QB with those talents is not easy to find. imo

I think a fair assessment...

Sep 21, 2016, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: That fart smeller of a coach will never change his system ]

Which is what the OP asked for. Thanks!

Go Tigers!

Re: Why not atleast run it from the shotgun

Sep 21, 2016, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Why not atleast run it from the shotgun ]

It hits so fast when it's run from under center. Honestly, plays that we would run for 4 yards against a D-line like yours would go negative yards from the shotgun. The whole system is built on being under center. It gives teams like us the chance to jab, jab, jab and then right hook a defense. The play-action is also more effective from under center.

IMHO, teams that run it from the gun are not able to cover-up lesser personnel as easily as we can. It makes perfect since for Georgia Southern to run what the run in the Sun Belt but if they ran a style more like ours, I believe they would be more competitive.

Re: Dear GT fans visiting the board

Sep 21, 2016, 9:24 AM

I absolutely love the offense. There are GT fans who don't like it, but I think the majority of GT fans enjoy it and the folks that really know football understand the benefits it brings.

We have the chance to play a competitive football game with you guys and perhaps even win on Thursday Night. That is only the case because of the offensive system we run.

Your roster is so much superior to us, it isn't even funny. But our system gives us the chance to compete. Some might say that the system hurts recruiting and that is true to a degree, but we weren't exactly recruiting elite talent when we ran a pro style system. IMHO, the talent drop-off is only slight and probably due more to the changes in the types of students we are recruiting since the O'Leary years.

As far as the style goes, I think it's incredibly interesting to watch. The chess match between CPJ and opposing DCs is easy to understand and follow. This system gives you the ability to control the football, keep your defense off the field and it is also a big-play offense. We've had more big-plays in Johnson's 9 seasons than probably the previous 40 seasons combined.

I don't view this system as a classic wishbone system like those in the 70s. This offense uses big line splits, spreads the field more and features more athletic type players than old option offenses. We trade TEs for our speedy A-Backs, and our Fullback is more of a true running back. When we have a guy who can pass like Thomas, there are lots of things we can do, because we have 4 vertical threats pre-snap on every play.

Not to pick on Clemson, but I hate the tempo offenses. Unless you have an elite defense like Clemson you absolutely hang your defense out to dry. As a fan, it's almost like watching a basketball game. I can't watch Big 12 games between tempo teams. I have zero interest in that sport, which isn't football to me.

A QB that passes like Thomas?

Sep 21, 2016, 9:26 AM

dood did you really say that?

Re: A QB that passes like Thomas?

Sep 21, 2016, 9:33 AM

He is really throwing the ball well right now. You can look at the box score or watch the tape. If you watch the tape, you will see he is really throwing the ball well.

Last year, he got no protection at all. When he can set his feet, he can throw it well. Now, I'm not saying he's the best throwing QB in the league. Firrst and foremost he's an option QB with low 4.4 speed and elite quickness, but considering he has that skill set his passing ability is excellent. That's what I mean.

You say it brings benefits, but what kind of

Sep 21, 2016, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Dear GT fans visiting the board ]

trophies has your coach brought home with that offense? None?

3 Division and 1 Conference

Sep 21, 2016, 9:33 AM

I know they vacated it, but they won it on the field, so credit where credit is due.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who gives a crap about winning their division?

Sep 21, 2016, 9:36 AM

And when I look at the record books, there is no ACC title for PJ. It was vacated for a reason, oh and that player who PJ knew should've been ineligible...what did he do in that game?

Re: You say it brings benefits, but what kind of

Sep 21, 2016, 9:35 AM [ in reply to You say it brings benefits, but what kind of ]

GT played in zero BCS bowls prior to CPJ. We've played in 2 in 8 years. Look, I'm not comparing GT to FSU or Clemson. I'm comparing us to GT and we've had more success under this system than we have historically.

Is that really true?

Sep 21, 2016, 9:44 AM

I mean, I don't feel like going back and looking at historical records, but I feel like yall had a good deal of success in the late 80's/early 90' and then again in the late 90's.

It may just be perception on my part, but I don't think of yall as sisters of the poor who have suddenly found some success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought Oleary did an excellent job there

Sep 21, 2016, 9:49 AM

Still remember the like of Hamilton and Godsey

In my brain

Sep 21, 2016, 9:51 AM

I still curse the 10 yard cushion we gave the receivers so Godsey could march down the field throwing 7 yard outs on that last drive in 2000.

Yes it is...

Sep 21, 2016, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Is that really true? ]

...GT had a great year in 1990 winning a share of the MNC but played in the Citrus so now "BCS-Level" bowl. Yes, O'Leary did a great job but we were still typically an 8-3 on average type team even with an elite coaching and recruiting staff. We had Fridgen calling the plays and elite recruiters like Bill O'Brien, David Kelly, Lance Thompson, Doug Marrone. It's not going to get any better than that coaching-wise for GT.

Historically? Doesn't GT have multiple

Sep 21, 2016, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: You say it brings benefits, but what kind of ]

national championships, including as recently as 1990?

Re: You say it brings benefits, but what kind of

Sep 21, 2016, 9:43 AM [ in reply to You say it brings benefits, but what kind of ]

We did just win the orange bowl in 2014

Didn't you get invited by default?

Sep 21, 2016, 9:50 AM

I'm not going to minimize an OB win, and I'll give credit, that was a very good GT team. I was at the ACCCG and thought y'all might pull it out.

But do you ACTUALLY think CPJ has a chance of winning anything of greater significance than the OB? Will he ever contend for a national title? Will he win an ACC title without cheating and having it vacated?

How would you feel if he updated it

Sep 21, 2016, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Dear GT fans visiting the board ]

And ran a triple option offense from the shotgun like GA Southern?

Sorry just saw you answer

Sep 21, 2016, 9:32 AM

Above

Sep 21, 2016, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Dear GT fans visiting the board ]

you don't have that - what you have is a system that if the d plays assignment football and has sound gap awareness, will win 8/9 out of 10 playing gt. when playing good teams, a lot has to be stopped. when playing gt - just one thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Sep 21, 2016, 9:48 AM

You obviously know nothing about the offense we run if you think this, maybe go study it and actually learn about all the plays and reads then come back. It's just like any offense you have things to stop and you can do so if you stay disciplined.

does that include the illegal cheap shot blocking??

Sep 21, 2016, 10:06 AM

because thats what makes it go. you know, the low cut cheat blocking that gt is known for??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: does that include the illegal cheap shot blocking??

Sep 21, 2016, 10:11 AM

You do know that Clemson does it as well, maybe not as much but they do it. So does that make Clemson dirty on the plays they do it?

hahahahahaha

Sep 21, 2016, 10:19 AM

comedy is not your strong suit. thats the last thing clemson is known for and the absolute first thing gt is known for

Re: hahahahahaha

Sep 21, 2016, 10:25 AM

Never said Clemson was know for it I simply said y'all do it, so if it's dirty when we do it how it is any different when y'all do it? Not to mention when's the last time we hurt someone specifically from a block? Our guys are not trying to hurt the other teams lol. And just so you know if you think they are there are many different ways teams can try and hurt players besides blocking, and yes that includes Clemson, but I'm not going around saying they are doing that.

This. Triple option offense is beautiful to those who get it***

Sep 21, 2016, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Dear GT fans visiting the board ]

The Paul Johnson hire was a terrible move by GT.

Sep 21, 2016, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Dear GT fans visiting the board ]

With Georgia producing about the fifth most division I football players of any state in the country and Georgia running a ball control rushing offense, the opportunity to bring in a wide open spread offense would have been a sharp contrast to the offense in Athens. With so much talent in the state and only Georgia in state to compete with, they could have attracted plenty of quality players. It us just so easy for opposing coaches to demonize that style of offense in recruiting pitches. I don't think most talented kids want to play in that system and the overwhelming majority of fans don't want to watch their team run it.

Chan Gailey was actually building a pretty good football program when they prematurely ran him off. Paul won primarily with the outstanding wide receiver talent that Chan Gailey brought in. Once that was gone, their success followed them out the door. Beating Clemson two years ago was a fluke brought on by a backup qb unprepared to play.

Lots of people will be happy when Paul Johnson is gone far away from GT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Only Georgia to Compete With"????

Sep 21, 2016, 11:32 AM

I just call it like I see it, but Georgia Tech doesn't and hasn't meant much to in-state recruits in 50 years. Heck, I'm not even sure UGA is the first choice for the majority of in-state kids. Top Georgia talent can make the easy drive to Bama, Clemson, Auburn, Tenn, FSU, Carolina all day long. Georgia Tech is way down that list. That was the case before Paul Johnson.

There are are as many if not more Bama, Auburn, Clemson, Tenn, FSU, UF grads in the Atlanta area than GT grads. It is is a tough landscape for GT.

We have like 3 majors football can choose from. The majors they can choose aren't not easy. All the kids around them are really smart and the administration is not football friendly. You've got to be a different kind of student-athlete to sign up for GT. I think it's a great investment and decision for the right kids, but there is a reason GT grads say "They got out"

Paul Johnson has had as much success or more than any GT coach since Bobby Dodd. The hire was a great decision and has helped GT remain competitive.

You shouldn't use quotes for something I did not say.

Sep 21, 2016, 11:56 AM

It's dishonest. Why try to mislead people about what was said?

Ultimately, his greatest success was with players he did not recruit. The trend is definitely down. His style of offense ensures that he will NEVER get the talent he needs to be successful. The hire basically put a ceiling on GT's success and your best days are behind you.

The Georgia Tech people I talk to know that now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You shouldn't use quotes for something I did not say.

Sep 21, 2016, 12:13 PM

Nonsense. He had tremendous success in 2014...all with his OWN recruits. Also, have you noticed how many people GT has put in the pros under Johnson...including his own recruits? Have you even noticed how many receivers have made pro rosters? C'mon dude...you don't know what you're talking about.

Facts for the factually challenged.

Sep 21, 2016, 12:31 PM

GT has averaged 7 wins per season over the last 6 years - after winning 9 and 10 games with Chan Gailey recruits. That 10 win season was followed by a 6 win losing season.

That 2014 season was preceded by TWO 7 win seasons and followed by a 3 win season! That's right. 3 total wins last year.

How many Paul Johnson recruits are on NFL rosters?

The FACTS don't support you, Mr. 35%.

Re: Facts for the factually challenged.

Sep 21, 2016, 12:38 PM

Yes they do support me. The fact that you're ignorant is irrelevant. Clemson has a very good program, but that programs recent success is causing the same problem that all success causes....blind, arrogant fans.

I'm a Tennessee grad (Father-in-law is GT grad). We steam-rolled people during the 1990s, but eventually got our humble-pie after Fulmer's departure. If you think GTs scheme is the problem (or even their general talent level), then you're just simply ignorant....period.

I win! When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of

Sep 21, 2016, 12:45 PM

the loser."

Now click your heels together three times and say "There's no place like home. There's no place like home"

Honorable people would simply admit their defeat and move on instead of losing control.

B-Meist, per your request I have RA'd this post as to

Sep 21, 2016, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Facts for the factually challenged. ]

alert you to a rules infraction. This is a person posing as a Clemson fan (with a Clemson related user name).

Link to the TL: DR version of the rules can be found here in case you forgot @B-Meist

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=20057438

Re: Facts for the factually challenged.

Sep 21, 2016, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Facts for the factually challenged. ]

2014 was his best team, even though that defense was pretty bad, the offense was historically good. I think we nearly set a record for 3rd-Down conversion rate and more than 50% of our possessions ended in points. Just crazy numbers that year.

The overall talent level has generally been the same since he got here. Last year our skill positions were just decimated by injuries and graduation. The ACC was just awful in 2008 and 2009. What would your 2015 team have done to both our 2009 teams. He's certainly made mistakes but like I said, this is a really tough place to win and he's had as much success or more than any GT coach since Bobby Dodd.

As far as players on NFL rosters, it's been pretty much the same numbers as what we had under Gailey or O'Leary. What's funny is even if you don't count Thomas, WR has been the our most successful position for sending players to the NFL. Go figure

Sep 21, 2016, 12:54 PM [ in reply to You shouldn't use quotes for something I did not say. ]

2014 wasn't his players? And it was a down year lol? 2015 was an anomaly, we had 7 A back injuries, 3 B back injuries, 1 OL injurie, and 1 WR injurie. at one point against Miami we had 9 freshman on the field on offense at the same time. If GT fans are saying that then they don't know much about the program, I never understood why fans of another program would talk about another team like they actually know, that's why I haven't said anything about Clemson because I don't keep up with them to know who they have injured and other things.

Sep 21, 2016, 12:58 PM

I fell your pain...I almost didn't post on this message board myself. Heck, I created a logon ID years ago just to read posts. Seems like there is a correlation between having a better, highly ranked football team and an increasingly arrogant, ill-informed fan base. To be fair,however, its not everyone here. You can go over to Stingtalk and/or GT Swarm (although Stingtalk is worse) and find plenty of knuckleheads there too.

I actually do keep up with Georgia Tech.

Sep 21, 2016, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: You shouldn't use quotes for something I did not say. ]

2015 was as much of an anomaly as 2014 for Georgia Tech.

The trend is not a good one.

One big problem for this offense will come in the form

Sep 21, 2016, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Dear GT fans visiting the board ]

of #90. Big Dexter will eliminate the fullback dive.

Sep 21, 2016, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Dear GT fans visiting the board ]

You do know that big splits and such are a staple of the flexbone/wing T offense, right? We ran the same system when i played in HS

system has a big problem

Sep 21, 2016, 9:27 AM

once clemson is up by say 17-21, the game is over. thats the problem with running a gimmicky offense

Re: system has a big problem

Sep 21, 2016, 9:42 AM

Most games are over when any team gets up 17-21. I would agree that a tempo offense is better to come from 21 behind, but if you aren't clicking it's also a great way to hang your defense out to dry and get behind 21.

That being said, when we have the pieces it's a big play offense. We have a large number of sub 2 minute drives every year. Like I said before, we have way more big plays in this offense than we ever had before. Just like you guys we spread people out and one missed tackle and it's 6 points.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but for us historically our system has given us a chance to win more times than not.

^^^^I have to disagree...

Sep 21, 2016, 9:45 AM

A 17-21 point deficit shouldn't necessarily mean "game over" unless it's halfway through the 4th quarter....see Ole Miss this year...

****MOST games***

Sep 21, 2016, 9:53 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's pretty rare...

Sep 21, 2016, 9:55 AM [ in reply to ^^^^I have to disagree... ]

...You have to admit it is very rare. That being said, we've honestly had more comeback wins under CPJ than we had under Chan Gailey. The first time CPJ beat UGA, we came back from a 16 point halftime deficit and we have had way more final two-minute game-winning drives under CPJ than under Gailey.

The first time CPJ beat Georgia? What's his record against

Sep 21, 2016, 10:12 AM

UGAy?

Better than the last coach's***

Sep 21, 2016, 1:18 PM

You just aren't going to get those "pieces" consistently

Sep 21, 2016, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: system has a big problem ]

if ever with that style of offense. Kids don't want to play in it and be stigmatized.

The sooner GT fans realize that and run him off, the sooner you will have a good football program.

I'm not a GT fan (obviously)

Sep 21, 2016, 9:32 AM

But I also don't take shots at their offense. I think it can give even good defensive team fits, and it plays to the talent they can get in this era at GT.

And lest we forget that offense has been part of winning their division 3 times and the conference once (I know they vacated it, but they won it on the field, so credit where credit is due).

It's not my favorite style to watch, but I don't blame them for trying to find and implement a playing style which gives them a different look and can give teams fits.

I don't see at as far different from the full court press tempo game that OP ran at Clemson in order to try and level the talent against teams we were playing.

With that said, lets make it look boring and antiquated tomorrow night. Go Tigers.

I think the PJ offense and OP defense are a very good

Sep 21, 2016, 9:35 AM

comparison. The problem is, why does GT need to resort to a gimmick just to stay competitive? They have football history there, unlike Clemson basketball. If they got a good coach who can recruit and not run that POS offense they have, they would win ACC championships. But they'll never win one with CPJ.

Never already happened

Sep 21, 2016, 9:40 AM

Of course they vacated it because of playing an ineligble player, but they won it on the field with that system, so it goes against your argument.

But, you are right in that I don't think they HAVE to run this. I think they can recruit there and play any style O they want. They have some history, but they've chosen this path.

But the reason they had to vacate the title was because they

Sep 21, 2016, 9:46 AM

used an ineligible player who might have had a material impact on the game.

So, no, they've never won an ACC Championship under CPJ.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get that

Sep 21, 2016, 9:48 AM

And that's an issue with the program, but not the system which is being critiqued here.

The system was used to win an ACC title. Now, of course, they couldn't keep or get the dude eligible and thats a fault of the program (the team, player, school, and coaches), but the system in place won a title.

Not "might have" had a material impact on the game, he did

Sep 21, 2016, 9:55 AM [ in reply to But the reason they had to vacate the title was because they ]

have a material impact on the game.

I googled a couple of articles about the ineligible player

Sep 21, 2016, 9:56 AM

but those articles didn't mention the player specifically.

Who was it?

IIRC, one player was Demaryius Thomas***

Sep 21, 2016, 10:04 AM

History was a long time ago

Sep 21, 2016, 9:51 AM [ in reply to I think the PJ offense and OP defense are a very good ]

You have to understand that the academic requirements since O'Leary left have changed things a lot. We can't bring the kind of kids in today that we could under O'Leary but it wasn't like we were bringing in bushels of elite talent back then. O'Leary's staff was about as good as it could ever be at GT in terms of recruiting and coaching. We had ace recruiters like Lance Thompson, Bill O'Brien, David Kelly, Doug Marrone. Add in a guy like Ralph Friedgen calling plays. This is elite coaching. Even with all that recruiting talent and coaching, we were basically 8-3 on average type team. Pretty much exactly what we've been under CPJ.

GT has been fortunate to have really good coaching the last 20 years. The upside of this program is limited.

GT needs to place a call to Stanford

Sep 21, 2016, 9:58 AM

And see how they recruit. I understand academics hurts you in recruiting, but GA is loaded with talent and you border FL. It doesnt hurt you are located in the jewel of the South ATL. I think yall are selling yourself short if you think PJ is as good as it gets.

Re: GT needs to place a call to Stanford

Sep 21, 2016, 1:23 PM

Stanford is a national draw. It might be the premier university in the country. If they are playing good football they can pick the best student-athletes from anywhere in the country. Plus, they can offer a much wider range of majors than we can.

I'm not trying to make excuses. GT can recruit good solid football players, but we will never ever recruit anywhere close to the level that UGA or Clemson is currently recruiting. It just won't happen.

If we are going to be competitive with elite teams we are going to need a unique system that gives us an edge. I think we've got that system. All that being said, it is going to be very difficult for GT to beat teams like Clemson and UGA no matter what system we are running.

Re: I think the PJ offense and OP defense are a very good

Sep 21, 2016, 9:52 AM [ in reply to I think the PJ offense and OP defense are a very good ]

We beat y'all in the acc championship, sure it was taken away. It we won on the field that day. Also we have a way higher academic standard than most schools which causes us to not be able to recruit on the same level. We right now have multiple kids who could not keep up with GT that signed with us, two of who committed and signed and never got playing time because they could not get their grades right and were two of our most highly recruited kids, and both would probably be starting this Thursday.

Re: I think the PJ offense and OP defense are a very good

Sep 21, 2016, 9:55 AM

the OP def was not designed to try to wreck players knees and cause them to have trouble walking the rest of their lives!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was taken away for a reason, CPJ cheated. He knew the

Sep 21, 2016, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: I think the PJ offense and OP defense are a very good ]

story, he knew the risks, and did it anyway. CPJ has zero titles to his name at GT and you can thank his offense for that.

Re: It was taken away for a reason, CPJ cheated. He knew the

Sep 21, 2016, 10:49 AM

no, your AD Radakovich is to blame....$312 worth of Jerseys...from his former teammate. The most bogus NCAA penalties ever handed out.....especially when you look at what has gone on at UNC, Miami, Alabama, etc.

"Athletics Director Dan Radakovich told coach Paul Johnson about the investigation into Thomas receiving improper benefits, but didn’t inform him that he shouldn’t talk to Burnett about the investigation. The NCAA said that conversation hindered its investigation."

https://coachad.com/news/georgia-tech-fined-100k-stripped-of-2009-acc-football-title/

And I agree with what other Tech fans have said in this thread. CPJ's offense allows GT to recruit players that fit...and can handle calculus. Justin Thomas is not going to QB at most P5 schools, but at GT he can and become an Orange Bowl MVP.

If the gimmick...

Sep 21, 2016, 10:45 AM [ in reply to I think the PJ offense and OP defense are a very good ]

wins games and beats us, I don't think they really give a chit how it's viewed.

Why ask the question of opposing team fans and then try to bash them on here?

Go Tigers!!

I didn't ask the question, and I'll always bash GT nerds

Sep 21, 2016, 11:04 AM

especially while they have that coach.

^^^this...all day^^^***

Sep 21, 2016, 11:13 AM

We run it.

Sep 21, 2016, 9:57 AM

I like it and since the switch have wins over #8 App State, #2 Georgia Southern, South Carolina, 2015 conference championship, and a playoff appearance. We also are 3-0 (2-0 in SOCON) this year.

We play GT in 2019 (I believe) so that game may take 2 hours to complete.

23-22

Sep 21, 2016, 10:11 AM

C I T A D E L

Sep 21, 2016, 12:05 PM

I wouldnt care if Clemson ran it...... as long as we won with it.

Sep 21, 2016, 12:32 PM

Ever so slight clarification to those touting CPJ success with 3 Divisions and 1 Conf Title.

He won a Conf Title using what the NCAA deemed an inelgible player, that player scored in the ACC CG.

He also "won" a division title in 2012 when tied with Miami and UNC. Both of whom were ineligble to go the the ACC CG. The tie breaker would gave gone to UNC.

Carry On

+1 for using 'Dear' with external communications***

Sep 21, 2016, 12:42 PM

Replies: 88
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic