Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Appears to Me the Committee is Sending the Wrong Message
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Appears to Me the Committee is Sending the Wrong Message

Nov 6, 2019, 8:09 PM

For years and years the powers that be have preached sportsmanship and many schools have embraced that sermon. But the current playoff committee appears to have thrown a roadblock to the idea of sportsmanship. After the first meeting we are told that some of the teams have been dominant in their wins and this is an important factor. whereas, Clemson's close win over the Tarheels shows a lack of dominance. If dominance is to be a factor, then Dabo and staff will have to change their ways of playing the game. The numbers, except for the Tarheel game, show Clemson's dominance over their opponents equal to that of the teams rated higher then them in the first ranking. They fail to consider, or, just plain ignore the fact, that Dabo substitutes frequently and often, and plays more members of his team than any other coach.

Appears to me Clemson is being penalizing because Dabo and staff are taking the high road.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Old "Style Points"

Nov 6, 2019, 8:16 PM

Joe21 - they need to bring back the term "style points"! This way(being sarcastic) when some team is being throttled mercilessly - you can point to "style points"! They won't call you "unsportsmanlike" but rather "smart" if you want to make the playoffs!

All of this Joe21® means one day you will have a conference of just the prior years top 15 teams! 5 teams will be allowed in if they show vast improvement during the year! But, it's to an almost laughable point where only the SEC and Big 10 will get an opportunity!

Those teams can win close and still not be penalized because of the "perceived" tougher competition!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s definitely inconsistent this season. Imo.

Nov 6, 2019, 8:17 PM

On thing for sure, I cannot remember a #1 team going this deep into the season, not lose a game and drop to 5th along the way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s definitely inconsistent this season. Imo.

Nov 6, 2019, 8:26 PM

Thanks Joe21 for the post. I don't believe Dabo will change nor should he. The coaches get quality players here because they get a chance to play when they earn it.

NorthwestPurple as for your comment, about the poll, you are correct. In the 86 year history of the AP Poll, a number 1 team has never dropped from number 1 without losing. This is the first and only year it has ever happened.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU dropped from #1 in the AP poll without losing in 2014***

Nov 6, 2019, 8:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you remember that team? Most every game was like our UNC

Nov 6, 2019, 10:09 PM

game! They nearly lost 5 or 6 times that year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2019, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: It’s definitely inconsistent this season. Imo. ]

Sure they have.

Somebody ran a story the other day showing where Southern Cal (I think) dropped all the way to #5 without losing back in the mid 70s. But there was some extenuating circumstance.

We have none.
No probation, no major injuries, not even a minor coaching change.

Either everyone else raised their games incredibly since last year, or our team is being incredibly disrespected.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2019, 10:40 PM

Some of the teams in the ACC are just as good as the ranked teams in other conferences. They just aren’t being voted on to be there. It’s a weak conference because of this. Lol. That’s the reason we don’t have the key wins. Other teams play hard games at the end of the year. We play them all season long. The voters know the routine and they play it well. That is why the two big conferences dominate the polls. It has always been the case of winning and we are in. Same thing in 1981. Things don’t change much. We have to win today to be in. We know we are good enough! Time to go to work and focus on N C STATE. One game to go.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2019, 8:28 PM [ in reply to It’s definitely inconsistent this season. Imo. ]

Duplicate

Message was edited by: saddis56®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Appears to Me the Committee is Sending the Wrong Message

Nov 6, 2019, 8:19 PM

The bad news for NC State is the conference only allows the visiting team to bring 72 players. Dabo won't be allowed to play 100+ players this week.

Nov 6, 2019, 8:44 PM

And NCSnake has some injuries too. This one could get ugly quickly. But when you are winning, ugly is pretty.

Dabo will exercise that dominance thing ...

Nov 6, 2019, 9:59 PM

...against UofSuc.

Beat the SEC team worse than the ACC teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed.

Nov 6, 2019, 10:49 PM

I was surprised at the lack of context, and precedence, used in those first rankings. Maybe the CFP should keep around a few longer-term members in their structure to help shed a little continuity and experience on things. Huge mistake to leave out an undefeated defending champ with metrics to go against any of them. In the past the committee seemed to peel behind the layers. Not so much with this mix.

This is still only the 2nd biggest mistake the CFP made in their rankings. Putting TCU at 3 in the next to last poll that first year only to see them cover a 30+ spread that Saturday, and drop to 6 the next week.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2019, 11:04 PM

Time to drop the hammer on everybody I mean everybody we play the rest of the season......score 100 and then go for the 2 point conversion after each touchdown......especially when it comes to playing the Coots and the playoffs......Go Tigers!!!!!

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic