Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DO you think the COVID-19 will change priorities
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

DO you think the COVID-19 will change priorities

Mar 28, 2020, 7:10 AM

IN our Federal budget once it is beaten back and supposing we do not have another outbreak come fall?

Will this event drive a push for Universal Healthe care and possibly a UBI? I myself , giving our current budgetary deficits and how spending is construed, do not see how it can be paid for at all. Will it drive us to alter spending areas, raise taxes on all to fund these items or will it fade away ?

When I say all it is because no matter what the AOC's and Sanders types spout there is nothing free in the world, some of the most expensive stuff in the world is "free". One also is unable to make the math work by just taxing the rich, simply not enough money, so it will fall to all to pay.

I guess it will be interesting to see if we end up with taxation rates like the EU for funding that "free" stuff. If so y'all are going to love the VAT rates and the fuel taxes to get gas to $5-$6 a gallon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DO you think the COVID-19 will change priorities

Mar 28, 2020, 7:31 AM

Yes I think priorities will change, especially if a Dem is elected. We need to slash military spending and use that elsewhere.

Mar 28, 2020, 7:42 AM

We may indeed but there is the other side of the coin to consider too. Our defense spending and thus the influence given by it , whether in being able to dictate things or spread it by bases across the globe do 1 very important thing. It maintains our standing as the world reserve currency. Without that status we would be unable to finance our debt levels, so another round of greater tax hikes would be needed. Our interest rates would sky rocket.

Mar 28, 2020, 7:48 AM

We could scrap the military spending all together and spend that elsewhere and it wouldn't have the slightest influence on the financing of our debt.

Mar 28, 2020, 7:52 AM

I respect your opinion but on this I fear that you would be very wrong. US military and it's associated spending are a huge part of why we are the world reserve currency. We would be unable to service the debt if we lost it. Having this allows us to finance an illusion of a vast middle class, it is also the reason we went to war in Iraq.

Mar 28, 2020, 7:54 AM

We have slashed military spending in the past and didn't change a thing. Why do you think it would be a factor now? It has never been in the past.

No, when this is over people are going to realize we...

Mar 28, 2020, 7:55 AM

suffered healthcare rationing. Those who can't see that happening in NY and now are blind, dumb, both or dishonest with themselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, when this is over people are going to realize we...

Mar 28, 2020, 7:56 AM

Healthcare rationing? Explain. Thanks

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic