Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DEFENSE & SPECIAL TEAMS!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,239

DEFENSE & SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

Mar 19, 2016, 10:26 PM

Okay, so we can all expect for the offense to be unstoppable this coming season. I want to hear more about the Defense and Special Teams. I'm not worried about our front 7 as they will be a 7 headed beast. I'm more concerned about the secondary. With all that was lost it would be nice to see if the coaches have an answer to replace production. I'm not sure if we're exactly thin in the secondary, but would like to know if anyone stands out. As far as special teams is concerned, we all know what needs to happen there. We need to pin them deep and tackle them better in open space. When we receive the ball we need to field it and gain good field position.

Anyone else curious about those topics? I've seen many stories about the offense, but I want more news and nuggets on defense and special teams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

i'm thinking...

Mar 19, 2016, 10:51 PM

And have a call in to Coach V & DaBO. Be back with ya soon!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DEFENSE & SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

Mar 19, 2016, 11:13 PM

Answer the the Defense ? Is BV. Special teams is year to year play to play. If the Bama kicker didn't have the touch of DW or Boyd on that kick it would not be an issue. Great coaching, great play, Bama had to resort to an onside kick with our best D player out. It's really important but it comes down to 10 plays over the course of the season. That staff is making plenty of $ to figure it out. I bet they will.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hear you but ST's need a complete overhaul - would like BV

Mar 20, 2016, 12:36 PM

to put his stamp on kickoff and punt teams, and Dabo to work directly with kickoff and punt return teams. These teams need to share the same focus and level of overview & importance as O and D. Where are our "honey badger" psychos? Who are they and put them on the field on ST's!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2016, 1:53 AM

Trust in Venables the magician and his magic show. Watch how he works his magic by taking a group of young men, and again he turns them into another top 10!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2016, 2:00 AM

His name is Cordrea Tankersley. I know you want a new name guy, but I'm glad he is back. I think we will be fine. Hopefully, we take care of Auburn and build from there. I bet we do.

Mar 20, 2016, 6:01 AM

Those are the two questions coming in that everyone has already talked about and hashed over several times already. Fields is an All ACC guy ready to bust out. Jadar Johnson may not have the top end speed of a TJ Green, but he is solid. Van Smith, Ryan Carter and Korrin Wiggins will provide various levels of experience and are good players. The secondary is talented, just lacking in experience. Edmunds, Muse, and three incoming very talented freshmen are going to have to step and get ready fast.

Special teams is something that Dabo knows need improving, pretty much ALL phases. Dabo is a bulldog in that if something needs fixing, it will get fixed, and I think we are going to see improvement from day one of the season. You'll see some new faces on the kickoff team. You'll see better blocking schemes on kickoff returns. You'll see better blocking schemes on punt returns. Hard for a punt returner to catch and run when there are three guys standing around our returner when the ball hits his hands.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FenceBusters THANK YOU

Mar 20, 2016, 1:12 PM

I enjoyed reading your response. I've been out of pocket for a while and have not been part of these discussions. So, thank you for your detailed assessment. I think it's spot on... I'm not worried so much about the starters in the secondary as I know they will be just fine. However, injuries happen and I was more concerned with depth. Again, thank you for your response.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Mar 20, 2016, 7:23 AM

STs are not an issue. Sure we can get better but STs did not cost us a single game last year.

Our D, specifically our pass D cost us a natty. We desperately need safeties who cover their responsibilities and DBs in general who are mentally on the same play/page/coverage.

Mar 20, 2016, 7:36 AM

ST's are most DEFINITELY an issue if we want to beat the Bama's of the world. You are correct that it didn't cost us any games EXCEPT the last one. We were able to overcome our games prior to this with an explosive offense. The onside kick, the KOR for a TD, the LACK of returns on our part. Yes, most definitely, the STs are an issue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DEFENSE (& also SPECIAL TEAMS, but not as much) !!!

Mar 20, 2016, 9:34 AM

For some perspective, the defense gave up five touchdowns in the national championship. Two of those were on long pass plays due to poor safety play (and a missed tackle by the cornerback). Another critical long pass on third and long led to another touchdown, also due to poor safety play. Henry's first touchdown run was made possible due to poor safety play. That makes four touchdowns given up due to poor safety play. Special teams gave up one and one possession. The offense gave up one extra possession too BTW. Poor safety play cost us the game (and made many other games close that really should not have been close throughout the rest of the season).

Mar 20, 2016, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: DEFENSE & SPECIAL TEAMS!!! ]

When for the year, you are at the bottom nationally in special teams, you have a major problem.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2016, 12:13 PM

sounds like and looks like to me both sides here are correct. we need better safety play and better special teams play to become the dominate team we all want CLEMSON to be. hopefully both will improve this year. go tigers!

please at least pretend to know what your talking about

Mar 20, 2016, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Re: DEFENSE & SPECIAL TEAMS!!! ]

We had a bottom three special teams and top 10 pass defense

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Mar 20, 2016, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: DEFENSE & SPECIAL TEAMS!!! ]

It's obvious you didn't watch the same 15 games I did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,239
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic