Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Leaving early for the NFL...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1,537

Leaving early for the NFL...

Jan 8, 2014, 10:30 AM

I understand we won a BCS bowl game, had a heck of a season, and everyone is floating on cloud nine but all these kids leaving early for the draft is ridiculous. The coaches need to talk some sense into our players.

I completely agree with Sammy leaving, he has nothing left to prove on the collegiate level and I wish him well. Bryant has a lot of upside and will turn a few heads at the combine, however I still don't think he's ready. Aside from those two and MAYBE Beasley, everyone else should think hard about coming back.

Breeland? Crawford? These guys could really use another year in the system, they're not ready by any means. I think both will be picked 5th round or later... with another year they could potentially be 1st or 2nd rounders. Anyway, I wish all of them well & hope they have great NFL careers.

What do you guys think about Crawford and Breeland?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crawford is staying. The rest, they received grades

Jan 8, 2014, 10:32 AM

they thought were adequate to leave. Part of being successful is more talented players and that means more early dpartures. It's not a bad thing, just means the talent base is improving

Re: Crawford is NOT staying!! see my post above!

Jan 8, 2014, 10:37 AM

nm

Crawford is staying

Jan 8, 2014, 10:38 AM

Idiot

Re: Dang, lighten up Francis! I didn't see the 2nd tweet, we

Jan 8, 2014, 10:43 AM

are still too thin of QUALITY DEPTH if 1 guy is a swing as to whether or not we are weak at that position.

We do not lack quality depth at DE

Jan 8, 2014, 10:56 AM

we have 7 scholarship guys at DE. Of those 7, 6 were 4 star recruits

Re: How many made plays from the DE position this year other

Jan 8, 2014, 11:43 AM

than Beasley, Crawford, and Lawson? NONE! so we have Crawford and Lawson, if one gets hurt or needs a blow??? We're now playing with inferior talent. Not a knock, just a fact. We NEED to address this position better in Recruiting!!

How many made plays? All listed who are returning

Jan 8, 2014, 11:46 AM

except Beasley. You don't make many plays when you are 3rd on the depth chart. Barnes is very solid behind Crawford who plays most of the snaps. Lawson now gets Beasley's snaps and Ebo, who redshirted, so he couldn't make plays, behind him. Dodd and Rogers also redshirted. You are showing your lack of understanding is as sorry as your reading comprehension

Breeland and Bryant should absolutely stay

Jan 8, 2014, 10:32 AM

I really think Beasley should too

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Martavis just proved what i have been thinking

Jan 8, 2014, 10:35 AM

since he arrived at Clemson. He is a IDIOT. He says it is for his family and daughters and is doing it to help them out. If he would stick it out another year he could help them out even more.

Have your say, but please don't

Jan 8, 2014, 12:02 PM

call any of our Tiger players, idiots.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Martavis just proved what i have been thinking

Jan 8, 2014, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Breeland and Bryant should absolutely stay ]

since he arrived at Clemson. He is a IDIOT. He says it is for his family and daughters and is doing it to help them out. If he would stick it out another year he could help them out even more.

How much would it help him out if he blew his knee out

Jan 8, 2014, 10:38 AM

Next year? Or suffered multiple concussions?

Well if he was drafted in the 5th round and did that in the

Jan 8, 2014, 10:40 AM

NFL next season, then he might've collected $150,000 by then and he's done.

But go through next year at Clemson without injury, get more experience, and improve, then he'll get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round and be guaranteed at least $1mil even if he gets injured his first season in the NFL.

So yes, huge benefit in staying if you can improve four rounds of draft status.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

So you think it's a guarantee that he gets to 1st/2nd

Jan 8, 2014, 10:42 AM

Round status by staying another year? What is the basis for that?

Basis is simple observation.***

Jan 8, 2014, 10:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you***

Jan 8, 2014, 10:52 AM

LOL, an idiot for not playing another year in college

Jan 8, 2014, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Martavis just proved what i have been thinking ]

It's foolish to attempt to make such sweeping statements about the decisions of folks you don't know, and have no insight into the factors that played into making that decision.

And I do find a certain entertainment in someone saying "He is a IDIOT".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think going early is a good decision for anyone

Jan 8, 2014, 10:35 AM

Who believes they are good enough to play in the NFL, and who aren't concerned about having a degree. Why beat up your body another year for free, on the hope you might improve your draft stock?

"for free"...try free education (& degree), free room &

Jan 8, 2014, 10:44 AM

board, free personal training, free extensive support and adoration, free whatever he wants for the next year.

To be fair

Jan 8, 2014, 10:46 AM

He did say he was talking about folks for whom a degree was not motivation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess that's where I'll never understand them.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:47 AM

I value my degree to Clemson University over most things.

You and I both

Jan 8, 2014, 10:50 AM

But admittedly we probably do not come from the same socio-economic pool as do many student athletes.

The education factor is a farce anyway, IMO.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:54 AM

You really think these universities care about giving these kids an education? I weighed about 120 lbs. coming out of high school. Do you think Clemson would have accepted me if I could barely put together a 2.0 GPA and a 900 SAT score, so I could get an education?

Absolutely not. Clemson, and all the other big football programs, take these kids in so they can make money for the school on the football field. It's a business transaction. The school profits, and the players get some training necessary for the NFL (and I guess, an "education," too). When the player is done training for the NFL, they should relieve themselves of this business relationship.

I am, admittedly, probably looking at this optimistically

Jan 8, 2014, 10:57 AM

But I like to think there are individuals for whom the athletic scholarship path gets them into school where the exposure to someone actually caring about them learning gives them a chance at a degree and a stronger future outside of an athletic career path.

It probably happens a lot less than I'd like to believe. But I certainly like to believe it happens.

I'm sure it does happen...I've heard examples.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:58 AM

But I find it hard to believe that the universities are admitting all of these players based on that hope. And I'm quite sure a majority of the players aren't looking at it that way. Maybe I'm just cynical.

None of that is money for him to spend.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:47 AM [ in reply to "for free"...try free education (& degree), free room & ]

You know 90% of the really good players aren't in it for the degree. They are only going to college because it's the way to get to the NFL.

I think it would be wonderful if he, or any player, came back because he wanted a degree. But I don't think most of them are wired that way.

Re: Leaving early for the NFL...

Jan 8, 2014, 10:56 AM

How are the grades? How is their family situation? Let the young guys make their own decisions.

... is the best thing these young men could do.

Jan 8, 2014, 11:00 AM

Football is a short career. Go make money at it as soon as you can. You can always go to college, you can only play football for a few years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, and it will just bring more elite players in who want

Jan 8, 2014, 11:58 AM

to go to NFL

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1,537
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic