Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Conference realignment according to the 'Dude'... c&p
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Conference realignment according to the 'Dude'... c&p

Jun 26, 2012, 10:45 AM

The Big 12 is About to Make a Big Mistake

What do Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Maryland have in common?

For starters they are all hallowed institutions from the ACC with national championships in either football or basketball. They are also respected academic institutions and boast large TV markets, a solid recruiting base, and the desire to field championship level teams.

But they have one more thing in common – they all want out of the ACC and into the Big 12.

That’s right; the Big 12 could have Florida State and any one of the other three or the Big 12 could think bold and take all four.

Yet the Big 12 isn’t likely to expand anytime soon and the reason is Notre Dame.

The Big 12 has decided not to extend invitations to FSU, Clemson or anyone else until Notre Dame makes it future conference home known.

New Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby and Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds both think the Irish are close to joining the Big 12 as associate members and will follow later as a full member.

WVU doesn’t believe that. WVU has years of experience as a member of the beleaguered Big East and watched as Notre Dame sat on the sidelines and let the Big East fall apart.

Notre Dame could have saved the Big East at any point. The Irish could have kept Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College from leaving during the first round of ACC expansion and they could have kept Pittsburgh and Syracuse from leaving last year.

The Irish did nothing and that’s just what they will do now.

I have no doubt that Jack Swarbrick is offering Bowlsby and Dodds assurances about Notre Dame. I have no doubt Swarbrick has told both men Notre Dame is Big 12 bound.

The problem is I have no doubt that Swarbrick is giving John Swofford the same assurances.

Bowlsby and Dodds are making the mistake of believing Notre Dame.

They don't know Notre Dame like WVU knows Notre Dame.

Both Bowlsby and Dodds are extremely intelligent men and proven leaders. Such men are not prone to fantasy or wishful thinking and not likely to have the wool pulled over their eyes by Notre Dame, but now it appears the Irish have hoodwinked the Big 12.

Notre Dame is lying to them while trying to work out better deals with both the ACC and NBC.

Perhaps Bowlsby and Dodds are blinded by thoughts of their legacies and what it would mean to land the Fighting Irish. Whatever motivates them to pander to Notre Dame they should remember just how fragile the conference was a year ago.

And while they sit and wait for Notre Dame the clock is about to expire on an opportunity of a life-time.

It's clear that the Irish prefer the ACC. It's clear that the only way the ACC would offer Notre Dame an associate membership is to keep FSU and Clemson from defecting.

It's clear to WVU that had the Big 12 extended the invitations to FSU and Clemson a month ago that Notre Dame wouldn't even be listening to John Swofford right now.

Adding Florida State and Clemson to the Big 12 cripples the ACC and permanently secures the future of the Big 12.

FSU and Clemson could be the biggest prize in the expansion contest and the Big 12 is in serious danger of blowing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Every day the Big 12 fails to invite FSU and Clemson is a day John Swofford uses to solidify his conference and entice Notre Dame to join.

I understand the Big 12’s desire to add Notre Dame – I get it. What I don’t get is how the Big 12 can gamble their future on a sucker bet.

The Irish will never join a conference as full member unless they are forced to do so. But by inviting FSU and Clemson now, the Big 12 can eliminate the ACC as a viable home for the Irish.

Supposedly the Big 12 is dead set on not expanding past 12. That's a foolish position given what's at stake and who's interested. It's even more foolish to think Notre Dame will join the Big 12 as a full member.

In West Virginia we have something called a “Snipe Hunt”. The hunt is actually ruse for the gullible. As legend has it the Snipe is small, fast, flightless, pheasant like bird found in the deep woods of West Virginia.

A Snipe hunt has “drivers” and “holders”.

The “holders” are taken into the woods and given small cloth bags and instructed to hide in the brush and wait while the more experienced “Drivers” chase the birds in their direction. When the birds come running towards them the “bag holders” are supposed to catch the birds in their bags.

Guess what happens next? The “Drivers” drive off and leave the “holders” stranded deep in the woods holding the bag.

I can only guess that it will be the Big 12 left holding the bag If Bowlsby and Dodds keep chasing Notre Dame.

Musings:

Before anyone jumps on Texas you should remember that it was Texas that made the necessary concessions to keep the Big 12 together and put the conference in the position of strength it enjoys today.

Each and every member of the Big 12 must share the responsibility of the Notre Dame “Snipe Hunt” and direct Bowlsby to act on Florida State and Clemson before its too late.

There is still time if the Big 12 forgets about Notre Dame and acts quickly.

The Big 12 has been counseled by the SEC on the horrors of 14 members and the scheduling problems that result from expansion. It could be the SEC would prefer the ACC to stay intact to keep the Big 10 from establishing a footprint in SEC territory.

One Final Thing

I've worked hard trying to find out the reasons for the delay the past few weeks and time and time again the answer was Notre Dame. But there was one other answer...

One very credible source told me the current Big 12 contract was written when Colorado and Nebraska were still in the conference and doesn't have a provision to pay additional money for FSU and Clemson. The Big 12's TV partners agreed to honor the existing contract written for 12 and pay the same amount of money to 10 members. Adding FSU and Clemson for 2013 would then reduce the amount paid out to Big 12 schools. My thoughts are that adding institutions as valuable as FSU and Clemson would pay, but I understand that contracts can be reopened unless their is expansion beyond the number of members when it was signed. Even with that said the potential to add 4 ACC schools would significantly up the dollar amount of the Big 12 contract.

Posted by The Dude of WV at 7:05 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ooops.***

Jun 26, 2012, 10:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Conference realignment according to the 'Dude'... c&p

Jun 26, 2012, 11:00 AM

Sounds like "the dude" is trying to convince himself (and maybe the b12-2) to get more great schools into the conference since his beloved WVU boyz are there now. Nice try...well maybe. He needs to just let it go, and get professional help. And maybe new meds.

Jun 26, 2012, 11:13 AM

He obviously has contacts but his agenda is clear.

Jun 26, 2012, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Conference realignment according to the 'Dude'... c&p ]

This reads like the whole thing was a focused effort by WVU to get more eastern schools in the fold, IMO.

1. WVU, Texas, and Oklahoma are denied entry to the ACC
2. Big12 TV contracts will still pay full amount but to fewer schools... which means more money per school.
3. WVU goes to Big12 because they are the only ones who will take them.
4. Lots of misinformation spread about value of TV deals and what revenues would mean to each member.
5. Rest of covert smear campaign against ACC by unknown individuals.
6. Lots of rumors playoff system would leave ND high and dry (which everyone knows the powers at the helm wouldn't hurt that historic power).
7. ND is dancing with Big12 and ACC for one reason: contingency plan. If their renewed TV contract doesn't meet expectations, they are prepared. And they are dancing with both schools as leverage to sweeten the pot. #1 rule in negotiations is to have 3 bidders.
8. This thing got legs when WVU convinced big12 to consider eastern expansion, and CU/FSU actually showed interest.
9. Big12 members realize they aren't in as bad of shape as they were and there are no other bidders for the ACC schools, so they have plenty of time to kill, and soak up the excess revenues for another year.
10. Now the Dude is being used by WVU to give a call-to-arms for us to petition Bowlsby.

What will be interesting to me is if the SEC comes in and scoops up 2 more schools of choice after convincing the big12 more schools are just a headache, so they set the stage for the 16-team conferences.

Jun 26, 2012, 11:07 AM

This guy is a clown.

Jun 26, 2012, 11:22 AM

But.... but.... but....

It WAS a "Done deal".

LOL. These blogger guys are the biggest d-bag losers ever. The back-tracking and professed butt hurt is epic.

-ZA

Bloggers in some cases are internet lobbyists...info

Jun 26, 2012, 11:26 AM

is leaked to them to make known secret or less than popular intentions...This guy may be acting out the agenda of officials and/or institutions.

The Dude has made his own universe in his own mind, all the

Jun 26, 2012, 11:33 AM

while sitting in his WV basement, surfing #### and bowing to the poster he has of Dan Holgerson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

And people here ate it up.***

Jun 26, 2012, 11:39 AM

I agree. I think the guy takes bong hits before writing his

Jun 26, 2012, 11:49 AM [ in reply to The Dude has made his own universe in his own mind, all the ]

blog. It's a different story everyday. Makes it awfully hard on the guys trying to be internet heroes.

Deeply Connected Sources:

It's been interesting watching the implosion...

Jun 26, 2012, 12:18 PM

...as person after person who blogged and tweeted has come to realize they've been utterly used by various interests.

Since I don't know the guy it's just my observation, but The Dude, I believe wasn't just trying to drum up hits for his blog. He was being fed info and bought into what he was being told because he trusted a source. Just about anyone in the business has fallen into this: you believe because it's a great story, and something that you might actually believe yourself.

Next thing you know, you've been hung out to dry and the only apology you get from the folks who burned you is "Well, sometimes, that's the way is goes."

Sometimes, it is. Sometimes the people sharing info are being played themselves. Sometimes ... well, sometimes @#$@# happens. But it still stinks for folks who believed, honestly believed, what they were sharing under their own name.

Think of this whole thing as a Canadian Venture Stock ... vague whispers and "Don't quote me, but ..." statements that can entice people into parting with their money.

In this case, we haven't lost any money, and I feel confident that in 2014, or whenever these rumors pop again, folks will be able to view them with a more savvy eye.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's been interesting watching the implosion...

Jun 26, 2012, 1:21 PM

He and the likes of Chris Brown, Swaim, et al were all fed a bunch of crap to make it look like the ACC was falling apart. Think about this, this time last year the Big 12 was in serious danger of completely imploding. WVU was making overtures to the ACC and the ACC basically laughed. Now that the Big 12 has stabilized somewhat (it still may be the shakiest of all the remaining pertinent conferences...I don't count the Big East in this) folks like the "Dude" are spouting a bunch of rumors they've heard that make the ACC sound like it's on thin ice. Nothing could be further from the truth. The ACC will still be here many years from now, and all of the current members will likely still be members, along with a possible new member or two. This was nothing but a bunch of crap to make the ACC look bad.

If you listened to any of the national shows or read any

Jun 26, 2012, 1:25 PM

reputable sports site (ESPN, Yahoo, CBS), there was plenty of discussion about the same topic....it wasn't just a few folks on Tigernet who believed----if you never visited Warchant, they were/are still ready to go.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True, but you have to admit the chatter in the media was...

Jun 26, 2012, 2:11 PM

primarily caused by the internet explosion after the FSU BOT chair misspoke about the unequal division of basketball money in the ACC. We heard what we wanted to hear and understood what we want to know.

That being said, it would not surprise me to learn that Swofford screwed the ACC football schools one way or the other last Wednesday in the Commissioner's meeting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True, but you have to admit the chatter in the media was...

Jun 26, 2012, 2:36 PM

sure do agree!! IMHO it is swoffies AIM to harm the football schools if he thinks this harm will help the baskb schools!! swoffie is about on the level with kornkoot and that is low as U can go!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2012, 2:14 PM [ in reply to It's been interesting watching the implosion... ]

Yep, and the shame is that honest people provide what they believe to be honest reports and become ostracized at almost no fault of their own.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2012, 2:23 PM

At what point does it become incumbent for those quoting a source to actually do a little research on their source. If you heard it from someone who you should know has no credibility whatsoever, and decided to post it anyway because you agreed with it, you deserve any backlash.

Jun 26, 2012, 2:25 PM

how do you know said source had no credibillity? Do you know their source?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic