Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Comparing Danny to Dabo? What a slap in the face to Danny
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 1

Comparing Danny to Dabo? What a slap in the face to Danny

Dec 26, 2012, 3:09 PM

How can you even remotely try to compare Dabo and his teams to Danny's??? And I'm not trying to bash Dabo or his teams here but come on...Teams were afraid of us then...they didn't want to play us ..especially in bowl games cause they knew how physical and brutal it was gonna be. Now we get beat by South Florida and 70-33. Were you at those Citrus Bowls against Patterno and Switzer? Major Harris and WVU? Nebraska? I was. And I can remember sitting there along with everyone else just knowing we were not gonna lose. Now I sit there hoping not to get blown out. Danny NEVER lost 4 in a row to the coots and NEVER got beat 70-33 in a bowl.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yawn.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:13 PM

I love Danny. I was there BUT Danny didn't win every game every year. NC State was a thorn in the side. So was Maryland.

Dabo is just getting started out and is doing pretty good raking up wins. We'll see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yawn.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:22 PM

I never said he won every game. But since you say that Dabo is just starting off, tell me, after 4 years of each being the head coach at CU..who's teams do you think were more feared?

Well 1979 was not a banner year nor was 1980.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:25 PM

1981 was of course but we suffered probation in 1982. I think Danny's best teams were 1987-1989 (years 9-10-and 11) Those teams in his 9-10-11 years were super teams with super players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well 1979 was not a banner year nor was 1980.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:26 PM

Agree 100%

Danny's best teams were 1987-1989 (years 9-10-& 11)

Dec 26, 2012, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Well 1979 was not a banner year nor was 1980. ]

Good point.

Re: Yawn.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Yawn. ]

It seems like u r the only person comparing Danny and Dabo...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

OK Yawn

Dec 26, 2012, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Yawn. ]

Name a school that would hire blabo. Excepting us?
Yeah, Yawn---- You enjoy being humiliated every year, I suppose.

Sorry , but he has to go. The sooner the better.

Or we can set around and hope, hope maybe we can even belong on the same field as LSU.

I don't see that. I think blabo has another butt kickin coming.

If I am wrong, I will happily eat new year crow.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm

Dec 26, 2012, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Yawn. ]

personally, I think the present comparison is alil unfair.Sooo, sure...theres alot of folks in a wait and see mode. Right now for Swinney, his 2 biggest obsticales(sp)...#1-Beat S.Car......#2-win the BIG BOWLS

and that starts Monday.

maybe we could have a seance prior to every game to bring

Dec 26, 2012, 3:19 PM

back the dead?

danny gone bye bye, ain't coming back.

can we please lay him to rest and move on with our football lives?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: maybe we could have a seance prior to every game to bring

I am not trying to bring Danny back. My post was in response to sludgemuffins comparing Dabo to Danny and him stating that we are in our glory years now and really were not with Danny.

so you needed to resurrect this idiocy in a new thread when

Dec 26, 2012, 3:29 PM

the post you just mentioned was just down the board?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so you needed to resurrect this idiocy in a new thread when

Dec 26, 2012, 4:14 PM

Might be idiocy to you, it's trying to right a wrong for me. And yes, I know Danny is not coming back nor would I want him back now.

there's no idiocy in right and wrong, it's arguing something

Dec 26, 2012, 4:22 PM

that will not be won or lost and doing so in yet another thread. was the first one broken? or just the message?

i'm glad you can be counted on to start a new one next time too.

Re: there's no idiocy in right and wrong, it's arguing something

Dec 26, 2012, 4:39 PM

I didn't start the argument...was pointing out how ridiculous I thought it was. Sorry it bothers you so much that I started another post, course this is coming from someone that thinks Danny "rode himself outta here"

nobody fired danny except danny and you can continue to do

Dec 26, 2012, 4:57 PM

whatever you want to while i'll continue to point out the redundancy.

i didn't tell you to stop.

Re: nobody fired danny except danny and you can continue to do

Dec 26, 2012, 6:15 PM

Danny fired Danny??So you think his firing was the best thing? DSP I thought you were better than that...

no, i don't think danny getting himself fired

Dec 26, 2012, 9:02 PM

was the best thing or a good thing.

it was a stubborn, arrogant thing on danny's part; never rub another man's rhubarb, especially if that man holds your job in his hand.

i wish someone would have tackled danny before it went as far as it did.

Re: no, i don't think danny getting himself fired

Dec 26, 2012, 9:24 PM

Well, Danny's daughters sure didn't help the situation either

Gotta interject here Heavy

Dec 26, 2012, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: maybe we could have a seance prior to every game to bring ]

I never said the Ford years weren't the "glory days"; I mean he won a NC so that goes without argument.

The point I was making was in support of some other posters on here who get frustrated with the Clemson fans that think the Ford years were something close to an undefeated season every year and there was never a game lost that should not have been. Those folks continue to compare Dabo to something that didn't really exist.

Yes, the 80's were the glory years but the paranthesis "" is used because those years were not as glorious as some hold them to be when they hold that as the standard for Dabo and argue Dabo is "not getting it done" and can't return Clemson to its "glory years".

I'll say it again - Dabo is winning right now like Ford won in the 80's and he's doing it against the same kind of schedule Ford played in the 80's. So my point was that those wanting a return to that kind of winning need to stop beechin' and realize they are living it.

One more thing - I know Ford was outstanding in bowl games but it seems bowl games are not now what they were in the 80's. The games today are so watered down and meaningless that it's almost a crapshoot as to who wins based on who decides to show up and play. I fully expect FSU to have their hands full in their bowl game, but that doesn't mean anything with regard to which team is really better - what does FSU really have to play for? A few years ago Bama got blown out by Utah in a bowl game because they didn't care due to losing out on a shot at a NC.

I wouldn't use Dabo's bowl record vs. Ford's as the basis for firing Dabo - we are in different times.

And Danny will never win another game for Clemson, but

Dec 26, 2012, 3:24 PM

Dabo will.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Depression sets in across TNET!***

Dec 26, 2012, 3:32 PM

Leave the past behind. Danny was a great coach but didn't

win every game he was favored and neither has any other coach in history. That is why they play the games. Danny has moved on, so should others.

Re: Good grief people, I'm not trying to bring Danny back!***

Dec 26, 2012, 3:31 PM

You are correct but will thumbs-downed for (3) reasons ...

Dec 26, 2012, 3:27 PM

1) Anyone under 40 has no frame of reference ... and could care less that Ford beat Tom Osborne, Woody Hayes, Joe Paterno, Vince Dooley, Barry Switzer ... who are they?

2) All that matters is now. In many fans' minds we beat #63 Ga Tech, #66 Va Tech and #67 NCSU for our biggest wins this year and won 10 games - we must be great and opponent quality has no bearing.

3) And most importantly, Danny Ford is a farmer. Dabo Swinney is our current coach. Critiquing him, fairly or unfairly, takes away from Clemson's image and ability to recruit.

No revisionist history, please ...

Dec 26, 2012, 3:32 PM

Beat Hayes in first game with Pell's team.

Beat Dooley for the first time in 1979. Also beat him in 1981 and then did not beat him again until 1986-87.

Beat Paterno in his 9th year in the Bowl after losing to USuC.

Beat Switzer in the 10th year.

Where did he revise history....I couldnt find that.***

Dec 26, 2012, 3:40 PM

I agree. Total detachment from reality with these folks.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:28 PM

Danny's teams played a different brand of football than what we have been subjected to for the last 14 years. Sure, we didn't win every game, but the team played excellent football, and the other team really had to excel to beat us. It was like watching FSU in the 90s.

We are not there now.

We were good but we were not FSU in the 90s. They had

Dec 26, 2012, 3:31 PM

14 straight top 5 seasons. We had 1 top 5 season. Now it was a #### good one....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

I'm less concerned about what number a bunch of reporters

Dec 26, 2012, 3:35 PM

decided to attach to Clemson and more concerned with how we played and what our reputation was. We dominated the ACC, our OOC rival, and we instilled fear in the best of teams, beating them most of the time.

From '81 to '83 lost 2 games in 3 Yrs ... not bad***

Dec 26, 2012, 3:39 PM [ in reply to We were good but we were not FSU in the 90s. They had ]

Just some numbers:

Dec 26, 2012, 4:05 PM

from 1980 to 1989, the collective winning percentage of teams we beat was 0.486. From 1981 until 1983, the collective winning percentage of teams we beat was 0.462.

lies, #### lies, statistics***

Dec 26, 2012, 4:19 PM

Is that supposed to be a valid rebuttal to the facts?***

Dec 26, 2012, 4:22 PM

Re: lies, #### lies, statistics***

Dec 26, 2012, 5:17 PM [ in reply to lies, #### lies, statistics*** ]

Post the actual facts then Uttles.

null

Re: Just some numbers:

Dec 26, 2012, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Just some numbers: ]

Let me give you some numbers,70-33 OB loss,4 butt-whippings in a row to the coots,2010 season 6-7,2011 season-butt whippings by NC State,GA Tech and the coots,1 bowl win against mighty Kentucky,yea Dabo is the best we ever had at Clemson!!!!

You're crazy.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:39 PM [ in reply to I agree. Total detachment from reality with these folks. ]

FSU of the 90's? You're nuts.

Overall, the body of work by the Tigers in Ford's era was about he same or marginally better to what we're doing RIGHT NOW. Just listing names of coaches we beat does nothing to put those wins in context.

We played a weak ACC, one without FSU and VT.

We won some ACC titles because it was a cakewalk.

We lost games we should have won.

We didn't sniff another national title in spite of having great talent.

We did finish ranked 9th once or twice, but other than that all rankings were similar to what we're doing now.

No, Dabo has not accomplished what Danny did in his tenure, but Dabo's head coaching career is just getting started. Before it's all said and done, I fully expect him to surpass Ford's win total.

ACC was stronger with

Dec 26, 2012, 3:43 PM

teams like Maryland and UNC actually having some national success. And we had UGA to always play to judge us and then the Morrison USuC teams in the mid to late 80's.

I agree on Dabo just getting started but Ford did a great job at a Clemson that was not nationally well-know when he took over and knocking on the elite status door when he was forced out.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Those teams had some moderate, fleeting success.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:50 PM

They were far from strong year-in, year-out. Maryland and UNC were both ranked 3x in the 80's. Nothing grand at all.

I agree Ford has the edge over Dabo, obviously, but to suggest he was doing what Alabama is doing today or what FSU did during the 90's is ridiculous.

The parallels between now and then are similar. No question. The point is, Dabo doesn't get enough credit for what he's accomplishing at Clemson, historically compared, and to hear some of the whiners talk we should be winning national titles every year or else we suck. Now that's a truly poor comparison to our history.

I think its important to note...

Dec 26, 2012, 3:45 PM [ in reply to You're crazy. ]

the ACC is weak today and it is almost certainly a cakewalk to the title game minus FSU each season. It should be a cakewalk next year too.

I think the overall frustration is just in the simple fact that Dabo cannot beat Spurrier. USC now plays a brand that the Clemson teams only sees once a year. Now we get to see it back to back and Im anxious to see how we stack up.

Dabo will be fine.

Hilarious that everything is a cakewalk to anti-dabo fans.***

Dec 26, 2012, 10:16 PM

Im not anti-dabo...

Dec 27, 2012, 9:45 AM

Im saying if the ACC was a cakewalk in the 80s then its a cakewalk now too, maybe even more so.

Re: You're crazy.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:49 PM [ in reply to You're crazy. ]

Ok, so who is afraid to play us now?

Hot tub time machine

Dec 26, 2012, 3:33 PM

Sorry you didn't get it for Christmas. I was in school during those glory days too, but a lot has changed. There is no guarantee Danny would have the same results of the past in this current environment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Comparing Danny to Dabo? What a slap in the face to Danny

Dec 26, 2012, 3:44 PM

Five Full Years in

Danny
44 Wins
1 ACC Title
1 National Title
1 Probation

Dabo
43 Wins
1 ACC Title
No Probation

Glad you pointed out the comparison. I have more confidence in Dabo now.

Hey Dumbo ... Clemson lost no games in ACC from '81 - '83

Dec 26, 2012, 3:49 PM

No ACC losses for 3 straight years. MD was awarded ACC championship in '83 based on Clemosn probation ...

Re: Hey Dumbo ... Clemson lost no games in ACC from '81 - '83

Dec 26, 2012, 3:53 PM

Great point. Clemson did not win the ACC in 82 or 83 because of Probation. I would rather have a team winning 10 games a year with no probation.

I grew up during that time period of Danny, but I believe the environment is much harder to win in now than then.

Also no reason for the Dumbo comment. I was trying to have an intelligent discussion with people.

Well accept my apology and thumbs-up to you

Dec 26, 2012, 4:00 PM

Hard to have a serious discussion when comparing eras, styles and coaches ... best to you and our team in the New Year.

Re: Well accept my apology and thumbs-up to you

Dec 26, 2012, 4:02 PM

i fully agree. it is not a good comparison. UGA could do the same with their coach.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Comparing Danny to Dabo? What a slap in the face to Danny ]

Gotta love the naive

Dec 26, 2012, 3:55 PM

not as uninformed as you think.

Danny's teams filled up Death Valley incl. Upper Decks ...

Dec 26, 2012, 3:46 PM

That says it all ... product quality and team quality is best measured by fannies in the seats.

I hope Dabo gets us back to that level. In Ford years, football games were MAJOR events ... from what I see and read, many of today's students have little interest in attending the football games or cheering the team.

tv has had a bigger impact.***

Dec 26, 2012, 3:47 PM

Not on the game experience or as measurement of fan base***

Dec 26, 2012, 3:50 PM

Hardly anyone is filling stadiums like they once did.

Dec 26, 2012, 3:53 PM

All over the nation on any given Saturday there are tons more empty seats today then there was 10-20 years ago. Citing attendance is kind of silly.

fannies in the seats directly impacted by availability

Dec 26, 2012, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Not on the game experience or as measurement of fan base*** ]

especially when a school is as remote as clemson.

clemson has broken records in the last handful of years for season tickets sold, it's the walk-up that's suffered which is usually last minute. why make a 4-5 hour trip when you don't have to?

clemson's student base has change in 30 years also. i blame clemson for that, not the product.

The old saying was....

Dec 26, 2012, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Danny's teams filled up Death Valley incl. Upper Decks ... ]

Howard built it
Danny filled it
and Ken Killed it!

Re: The old saying was....

Dec 26, 2012, 3:57 PM

and dabo is building it back. with very little help from some of our internet so called fans.

The other old saying was....

Dec 26, 2012, 3:59 PM [ in reply to The old saying was.... ]

If you want a party--go to Cootlumbia.
If you want to see a football game go to Clemson.

Somewhere in the 90's the party eclipsed the main event on the field and our fans have never been the same.

Anybody else eat pimento cheese sandwiches, chips, and a Coke on the back of a pickup tailgate with just enough time to get into DV for the opening ceremonies?

Re: The other old saying was....

Dec 26, 2012, 4:03 PM

Again..in complete agreement and I do the same...eat a sandwich have a drink and rush in for pre game. Amazing how tailgating has eclipsed actual game

Agree 100%. Notice all the kitchen sinks.***

Dec 26, 2012, 10:30 PM

agreed....too many there for the social scene vs a game***

Dec 26, 2012, 5:25 PM [ in reply to The other old saying was.... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, so there's too much tailgating going on?

Dec 27, 2012, 12:14 AM

WTH?

I remember those days fondly..Our D has never been the same***

Dec 26, 2012, 3:54 PM

Does Dabo even OWN a farm? ******

Dec 26, 2012, 4:54 PM

null

Has a small herb garden.********

Dec 27, 2012, 12:17 AM

Dec 26, 2012, 5:07 PM

Wasn't at those Citrus bowls, but man do I remeber watching every second of them on the edge of the couch! I also rember getting my bowl "swag" for Christmas. Sweatshirts/sweaters, hats, etc. Think about it every Christmas!

Dec 26, 2012, 6:18 PM

Boy I remember getting my bowl t shirts and sweatshirts and wearing them thinking I was the sh$t...now not so much

comparisons are inevitable...both played at Bama

Dec 26, 2012, 5:23 PM

both were asst here and promoted to HC....quite a bit of ways to go in results.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As was "The Baron of Barlow Bend"***

Dec 26, 2012, 5:28 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 69
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic