Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chad Kelly and Medical Redshirt rules. I have some answers.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,401

Chad Kelly and Medical Redshirt rules. I have some answers.

May 3, 2013, 2:17 PM

I have seen a lot of questions about why Chad Kelly is not getting a medical redshirt. I thought I could try to help clear it up for everyone. I have first hand experience with this.

A medical redshirt is reserved for players who play a small amount of time early in a season and have a season ending injury.
Redshirting by choice and then having to take a medical redshirt is not allowed.
The only way to get 2 redshirts is to apply to the NCAA for a medical hardship. This is generally only awarded to athletes that have multiple season ending injuries.
As a college baseball player I took a medical redshirt after tearing up my elbow in the 3rd game of a season.
After setbacks in my recovery I was unable to return for the following season. I applied for and was awarded a medical hardship and was given a 6th year of eligibility.

My college roommate also received a medical hardship while in college to grant him a 6th year of eligibility. He missed an entire season due to shoulder surgery and missed another entire season due to a broken leg(compound fracture).

It is very rare that the NCAA hands these out and since Chad Kelly did not redshirt due to injury during his true freshman year, he is not eligible to receive a medical hardship. This is why Dabo has said they will not attempt to get a medical redshirt for Kelly.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good info! Thanks***

May 3, 2013, 2:19 PM

Thanks TigerO... was wondering about this.***

May 3, 2013, 2:21 PM

Re: Chad Kelly and Medical Redshirt rules. I have some answers.

May 3, 2013, 2:25 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info - but their logic seems backwards to me. I can understand not being able to simply RS after a Medical RS year, but having a RS is common. And numerous athletes get injured AFTER their RS year. IMO - that causes the athlete to possibly rush his return, only to get injured more.

Sounds stupid to me, but I still appreciate the explanation.

I also questioned the logic

May 3, 2013, 2:37 PM

In order to get the medical hardship, loads and loads of medical documentation had to be filed. It was about a 5 month process waiting for my results to come in.

It was explained to me that it is relatively easy to get a medical redshirt for small injuries that can result in arthroscopic surgery. I believe Willy Korn did this at Clemson once it was realized he would not compete as the starter. To keep coaches from doing that after a normal redshirt to further allow a player to develop physically, much more strict rules were placed on getting a 6th year of eligibility. The NCAA made the rules to keep coaches from taking advantage of it.

May 3, 2013, 2:30 PM

A medical redshirt is the same thing as medical hardship. They are not 2 different terms.

Are you really going to try to explain this to me???

May 3, 2013, 2:41 PM

I have received both in my own playing career. You are incorrect. A medical hardship is the term the NCAA uses to describe the rule allowing a player to get a 6th year of eligibility. If you have heard the terms used interchangeably then you heard one of them used incorrectly.

Re: Are you really going to try to explain this to me???

May 3, 2013, 2:49 PM

So you are saying there is a redshirt, medical redshirt and medical hardship?
That's what you wrote, is it what you meant?

Yes that is correct.

May 3, 2013, 2:55 PM

A redshirt is by choice. Allows for a 5th year.

A medical redshirt is received when no prior season has been missed and an injury forces a player to miss an entire season or the remainder of a season (they can be awarded up to a certain point in each sport). Allows for a 5th year.

A medical hardship can be awarded if an athlete is forced to miss 2 seasons of competition, both because of serious injury. This allows an athlete to have a 6th year of eligibility. This is very rare. Most notable case recently to make headlines was the basketball player from Purdue a couple years ago. Unfortunately I did not make ESPN when I was awarded my 6th year. :(

Thanks for splainin***

May 3, 2013, 3:17 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Thanks for splainin***

May 3, 2013, 3:22 PM

I saw your comment on the other post and was going to reply but I figured more people would see an OP.

No that's not correct

May 3, 2013, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Yes that is correct. ]

A medical hardship is a "medical redshirt".

There's a separate waiver of the five-year period of eligibility to grant a 6th year.

It a minor detail but that's what confuses everything.

Using the same term to describe 2 different things is what

May 3, 2013, 3:53 PM

is confusing.

TigersO's description makes it clear what is what - if it is a medical redshirt it is granting a 5th year.

If it is a medical hardship - it is granting a 6th year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I'm pretty sure that the Medical Hardship waiver can only

May 3, 2013, 4:02 PM

be filed after your five year window has closed to extend you to a 6th year. Not something Kelly could do now, but technically I think he could request it. One would assume his wavier wouldn't be granted if he remains healthy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This helps explain it

May 3, 2013, 4:13 PM

This isn't from the NCAA website but it makes more sense.
They call it a 'medical redshirt' if you don't play at all. Basically 'redshirt'

In order to be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete must have competed in atleast one
contest in the first half of the season, but no more than three contests or 30%, whichever is greater (14.2.4). The total number of contests is calculated by the schedule on the first date ofcompetition. Participation in Conference postseason is counted as one competition.

If a student-athlete is unable to compete at all during an entire season because of an injury or illness, the student-athlete may not file for a medical hardship waiver. In this case, the season would be considered a medical redshirt season.

If the student-athlete has two or more seasons of
medical redshirt because of an injury or illness
(or one season of medical redshirt and one season of medical hardship), the Compliance Office
can file for an extension of the five-year clock
(a sixth year) only after the student-athlete has
reached the end of the existing five-year clock.

Re: This helps explain it

May 3, 2013, 4:26 PM

http://uga.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=878&CID=895201

Chad Kelly and everybody involved wants him to play this

May 3, 2013, 4:58 PM

year with the coming of Watson!
Can do more to establish himself as a starting qb the next year, unless Stoudt or Watson beats him out? Here is way I see it playing out. Stoudt first team next year - he has earned it. Kelly will be his backup. Watson will push both of them. The next year, Kelly and Watson, will be a two QB tandem - devastating to the opponents. Kelly will leave early after his Jr. year. and then Watson will have it all for himself for his Jr. Year, and leave afterwards. And I am sure a great replacement will be ready! Kelly and Watson will follow Boyd as first round picks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2013, 6:02 PM

you went 6 years as a baseball player?

what the heck? don't baseball players only get partial schollys? that had to be expensive.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,401
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic