Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone with more knowledge breakdown how many of Bama's titles are real?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Can someone with more knowledge breakdown how many of Bama's titles are real?

Jan 9, 2019, 1:49 PM

thx

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A friend of mine and I looked at this recently...

Jan 9, 2019, 2:01 PM

Bama national titles recognized by the NCAA = 13

Bama national titles recognized by the AP = 10

National titles claimed by the school = 16

Alabama is hardly alone in claiming questionable titles. Other schools have cherry-picked through the years, though few do it quite like Alabama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Their fans claims 17***

Jan 9, 2019, 2:02 PM

Several of them are disputed or shared...

Jan 9, 2019, 2:23 PM

because the titles were awarded before a bowl game they ended-up losing.

Here is a list of those disputed titles;

1978 — Finished 11-1 after a 14-7 win over Penn State in the Sugar Bowl. A whopping 24 entities picked a national champion that year, and seven chose Alabama. Eight of them chose 11-1 Oklahoma and nine picked 12-1 Southern Cal. The NCAA recognizes Alabama and USC as co-champions.

1973 — Fell to Notre Dame 24-23 in the Sugar Bowl to complete an 11-1 season. Alabama won the title awarded by United Press International and the coaches’ poll, which announced its winner before the bowls. That changed the following season. Notre Dame (11-0) is the NCAA’s recognized champion, but Michigan, Ohio State and Oklahoma were all awarded titles by various entities.

1965 — Defeated Nebraska 39-28 in the Orange Bowl to complete a 9-1-1 season. Four entities awarded the national title to Alabama, but another 12 favored 10-1 Michigan State. The NCAA recognizes them as co-champions.

1964 — Lost to Texas 24-17 in the Orange Bowl to complete a 10-1 season. Four entities, including both major media polls, awarded the national title to Alabama, but did the final vote before the bowl games. That changed after this incident. Arkansas (11-0) and Notre Dame (9-1) are recognized as champions by the NCAA along with Alabama. Michigan (9-1) was one entity’s choice as champion as well.

1941 — Defeated Texas A&M 29-21 in the Cotton Bowl to complete a 9-2 season. The Houlgate System chose the Tide as its champion. The NCAA recognizes Minnesota (8-0) as the champion, as did 11 entities that season. Texas (8-1-1) was the choice of two other organizations.

1934 — Defeated Stanford 29-13 in the Rose Bowl to complete a 10-0 season. Five entities awarded the national title to Alabama, but another eight favored 8-0 Minnesota. The NCAA recognizes Minnesota as champion.

1930 — Defeated Washington State 24-0 in the Rose Bowl to complete a 10-0 season. Four entities awarded the national title to Alabama, but another eight favored 10-0 Notre Dame. The NCAA recognizes the Irish as champion.

1926 — Tied Stanford 7-7 in the Rose Bowl to complete a 9-0-1 season. Six entities awarded the national title to Alabama, but another four favored 10-0-1 Stanford. To add to the confusion, Navy (9-0-1), Michigan (7-1) and Lafayette (9-0) can also claim titles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you say NCAA "recognizes," what do you mean?***

Jan 9, 2019, 2:33 PM

I mean...

Jan 9, 2019, 2:36 PM

the NCAA record books reflects Bama as champion or co-champion.

I'm looking at the record book right now...

Jan 9, 2019, 2:43 PM

I see Alabama listed in every single one of those years.

For example, you say in 1934,

Jan 9, 2019, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Several of them are disputed or shared... ]

the NCAA recognizes Minnesota. In the record book I am looking at, it says this:

Alabama: Berryman, Dunkel, Houlgate, Poling,
Williamson

Minnesota: Billingsley, Boand, Dickinson, Football Research, Helms, Litkenhous, National
Championship Foundation, Sagarin, Sagarin (ELO-Chess)

Which part of the record book are you referring to?

I mean, there's not an "official" title for the NCAA

Jan 9, 2019, 2:13 PM

So schools can say whatever they want to say, and people can agree or disagree, doesn't matter.

Re: Can someone with more knowledge breakdown how many of Bama's titles are real?

Jan 9, 2019, 2:19 PM

This article says they gave 7 legit (plus 2 more recently). That makes 9. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/many-national-titles-alabama-actually-won/amp/

We had a perfect 1948 season ... UCF fans say that = TITLE!***

Jan 9, 2019, 2:22 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UCF's laughable claim stems from thinking the Pythagorean

Jan 9, 2019, 2:26 PM

theorem relates to college football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

In my experience, UCF grads can't spell "Pythagorean"***

Jan 9, 2019, 2:33 PM

Nope...In 1948 there wasn't an obscure computer program...

Jan 9, 2019, 2:28 PM [ in reply to We had a perfect 1948 season ... UCF fans say that = TITLE!*** ]

...to make that decision.

https://www.colleyrankings.com/

Re: Can someone with more knowledge breakdown how many of Bama's titles are real?

Jan 9, 2019, 2:22 PM
NatlTitles.jpg(194.1 K)

I compiled this from NCAA.com a while back and Bama isnt near as dominant as they want to appear. Many of their claimed titles are shared at best

Clemson should claim 1948

Jan 9, 2019, 2:24 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Clemson_Tigers_football_team?scrlybrkr=00330935

Clemson Tigers National Champs '48 '81 '16 '18

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

1900 too....undefeated baby! Heisman whoop!***

Jan 9, 2019, 2:29 PM

Why not claim 1900 (6 - 0) and 1950 (9 - 0 - 1) as well***

Jan 9, 2019, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Clemson should claim 1948 ]

Jan 9, 2019, 2:30 PM

Also UGA has ONE.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic