Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone explain the illegal formation call
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Can someone explain the illegal formation call

Oct 13, 2013, 6:32 PM

that wiped Bryant's TD off the board?

Just looked like a formation we run all the time. Three wide receivers, a tight end in the backfield as a blocker, and Brooks. What's illegal?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone explain the illegal formation call

Oct 13, 2013, 6:34 PM

Not enough players on LOS = too many in the backfield

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahhhhh... I see it. Neither Humphries nor Watkins

Oct 13, 2013, 6:36 PM

lined up on the line.

Ticky tack. But I guess rules is rules.

Does seem ticky tack, so I googled. The origin of the rule

Oct 13, 2013, 7:00 PM

is the deadly flying wedge used in kickoffs at the turn of the century (the previous one) and similar mass formations for blocking on scrimmage plays. Apparently created brutally bloody games. It was outlawed by requiring 7 men on the line and limiting motion at the snap. Makes sense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sammy was supposed to be on the line of scrimmage

Oct 13, 2013, 6:35 PM

and he wasn't. Simple mental error.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah. Sucks for Bryant. He made a nice catch.***

Oct 13, 2013, 6:37 PM

So, are you saying Sammy was selfish and wanted

Oct 13, 2013, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Sammy was supposed to be on the line of scrimmage ]

to make the touchdown instead of Bryant?

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Can someone explain the illegal formation call- well

Oct 13, 2013, 6:39 PM

Rod gilmore cant explain it as we know from tv.

You have to have 7 on the line. Sammy was a yard off. It was close but the split end usually checks the linesman to make sure he is on the line. Sammy was too far back by a yard. to he got the td next play.

it was one of many examples of the lack of paying attention to the task at hand Saturday. It wasnt a trick play or formation. just sloppy alignment

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He actually said we needed one more in the backfield.

Oct 13, 2013, 6:39 PM

How some of these clowns have jobs is beyond me.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He actually said we needed one more in the backfield.

Oct 13, 2013, 6:43 PM

yeah he was exactly the opposite. and got on kearse for a clean tackle. his is an aspitring ed cunningham

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He actually said we needed one more in the backfield.

Oct 13, 2013, 6:58 PM [ in reply to He actually said we needed one more in the backfield. ]

It really is amazing how little some of these announcers know about football and rules! Also, for the Syracuse game I listened to the Clemson radio network while watching the game on TV. I was amazed about how many things our announcers said that were wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he even

Oct 13, 2013, 7:08 PM [ in reply to He actually said we needed one more in the backfield. ]

showed a replay and counted the players in the backfield

Re: Can someone explain the illegal formation call- well

Oct 13, 2013, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Can someone explain the illegal formation call- well ]

they changed this rule 2 or 3 years ago. Now it reads that you cannot have more than 4 in the backfield. You can actually have less than 4 which would be 8 or 9 on the LOS but there cannot be more than 4. On this play we had 5 in the backfield.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were lined up right in front of me and I saw it before

Oct 13, 2013, 7:17 PM

the snap. I was trying to will Sammy to step up to the line, he was too far back.

I then watched the ref right there and at the snap he reached into his pocket and pulled out the flag. I figured we would score on that one. ugh.

Nice comeback though two plays later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic