Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CU basketball just got a facility upgrade & will get better
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

CU basketball just got a facility upgrade & will get better

Feb 5, 2017, 5:17 PM

It just happened this year and should have happened a long time ago, and it's not even up to the standards of the top programs, and there is only so much the Athletic Department can spend to cover various sports. Most of you probably don't remember that Frank Howard had to take the football team on the road almost 70% of the time just have extra money to field multiple sports. There are 3 times as many basketball programs, and it's not like CU had much to build on like over a half century of success with the football program. The recruiting will get better. I know some of you want instant gratification but, give it time folks, give it time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Instant gratification? You can't be serious.

Feb 5, 2017, 5:23 PM

I know Brownell was at a disadvantage somewhat with regard to facilities, but he is inextricably tied to the current state of the basketball program. Fair or not, it's his baby. We've been mediocre for six straight years - Clemson fans aren't expecting instant anything, we just want well deserved, overdue relief.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

People keep talking about us not benefiting from the new

Feb 8, 2017, 6:55 PM

facilities, which is sort of silly since the benefit of those facilities will not be felt for at least a couple of years. However, I agree with you that the current state of our program is completely on Brownell. Is it fair that he had crappy facilities and inconsistent administrative support for much of his tenure? No. Is it fair that he is competing in the best conference in basketball? No. Is it fair that Clemson has zero basketball history to draw from? No. But it is what it is, and in year 7, he is responsible.

It's time for a change. Not because Brownell is a bad coach or because we haven't had a better season, but because it's just time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Haha*****

Feb 5, 2017, 5:26 PM

They did a similar Littlejohn remodel 10 years ago and

Feb 5, 2017, 6:24 PM

here we are again. IT has nothing to do with the fact that our current basketball coach can not recruit players of the caliber needed, not to win the league, but just to be competitive and middle of the pack.

You post is full of a bunch of ancient, tired, excuses.

The remodeling wasn't much of an upgrade in terms

Feb 8, 2017, 2:03 PM

of facilities. And the league has gotten bigger and much deeper. Let's be honest: we have generally been closer to the bottom in terms of talent and facilities in basketball.

But I agree, we should be winning some 1 point basketball games.

The Littlejohn remodel was almost 15 years ago.

Feb 8, 2017, 7:00 PM [ in reply to They did a similar Littlejohn remodel 10 years ago and ]

And it wasn't really a remodel. More like lipstick on a pig. It did not address player amenities such as locker rooms, meeting rooms, weight rooms, a proper practice facility, etc. You know, the stuff that matters to recruits. The practice facility wasn't even big enough to play full court basketball and the men's and women's teams had to alternate times. It was pathetic.

We can't expect to do a mediocre job when it comes to facilities when the teams we are competing against in the ACC have nicer facilities, better basketball tradition, more interested fans, and a more supportive administration. It is for this reason why we can't continue hiring mid-major coaches and expecting them to succeed (or to stay here in the off chance that they do). Successful coaches will stay in Clemson as long as we continue to pay them a competitive salary and give them the administrative support and fan support they need.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: They did a similar Littlejohn remodel 10 years ago and

Feb 9, 2017, 3:38 PM [ in reply to They did a similar Littlejohn remodel 10 years ago and ]

The facility upgrade in 2003 was not anywhere close to the same as this one in terms of scale.

What do you care anyway.

You dont care if Clemson ceases to exist.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I thought a link might be appropriate here..

Feb 9, 2017, 3:39 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15344778

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I thought a link might be appropriate here..

Feb 10, 2017, 10:08 AM

Thx

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Based on your logic, Ellis, Barnes and OP should have statues outside LJ

Feb 8, 2017, 2:13 PM

Amazing what they were able to accomplish with sticks and stones.

The ACC wasn't as good or as deep then.

Feb 8, 2017, 7:04 PM

Not to minimize their accomplishments, but there were far fewer conference games each year which makes it easy to get wins against inferior non-conference opponents. While all three of those coaches did better at Clemson than Brownell has, let's not forget that Brownell has a better ACC winning percentage than all of them. That's saying something. Unfortunately for him, the conference is even tougher now than it was then and he doesn't have the luxury of playing as many patsies as Ellis and Barnes did.

The ACC Cliff competes against was the best

Feb 8, 2017, 8:24 PM

it ever was. 8 teams and a gauntlet. Dean was in Chapel Hill, K at Duke, Valvano at State, Holland at Virginia, Cremins at Tech, Lefty at Maryland, Tacy at Wake. Jordan, Sampson, Bias, Perkins, Worthy, Dawkins, King, Price, Dalrymple, Lamp, Perkins, Salley, Allerie, Whittenberg, Lowe, Bailey, Corchiani, Monroe and many more.

Not one easy out

The ACC was great then, but it is even tougher now.

Feb 8, 2017, 9:05 PM

More conference games played each year, and even the worst team (Pitt) beat Maryland and Marquette. The coaches you mentioned are legends, but the ones now are no slouches either: Coach K, Williams, Pitino, Boeheim, etc.

I think this year's ACC is the best it has ever been. Obviously that is up for debate.

I don't see any player that compares to

Feb 8, 2017, 9:31 PM

Jordan, Sampson, Bias, Worthy, Perkins, Dawkins or a bunch of those guys. Different game now with the one and dones. Sampson and Bias played all four years! So did Dawkins and Perkins. MJ played 3. Guys today don't grow in to those type players until they're in the league

agreed but then there were five great teams or maybe four

Feb 8, 2017, 9:37 PM

now there are eight great teams...we could possibly see a final four of ACC teams...the conference is incredible. I agree Brad isn't going to survive but it's absolutely incredible the talent in the league now. The SEC and Big 12 don't have the quality together the league has.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see eight "great" teams now

Feb 8, 2017, 9:48 PM

FSU is the most talented. But the rest have some weaknesses. Less league games then but you played a round robin. Every team had years where they were incredible, even us.

If Marshall doesn't get hurt, the team with Horace makes a run in the tourney. And of course, stinking Tate George

Re: The ACC was great then, but it is even tougher now.

Feb 8, 2017, 10:01 PM [ in reply to The ACC was great then, but it is even tougher now. ]

Very much up for debate and remember we always had to play Duke and UNC twice each year!

And those Maryland teams with Bias and Buck Williams

Feb 8, 2017, 10:05 PM

JMO, but that was the golden era of ACC hoops. Generational players, and coaches, throughout the league

Re: The ACC was great then, but it is even tougher now.

Feb 10, 2017, 7:18 AM [ in reply to The ACC was great then, but it is even tougher now. ]

No, it's not. It's actually not even close. Which is why it's so aggravating that are you view yourself as one of the experts on our BB program.

Its time for a change...it's time for new ideas and

Feb 8, 2017, 9:35 PM

leadership w/in the program. Brad given this situation may have done as well as anyone could have done but the program is stuck in neutral. Fans are excited and aren't going to show up to the new LJ after a first year with another lack luster year. The program simply isn't going anywhere. Granted the conference is incredibly tough but at some point you've got to show results and this is a results business...the results is in wins and making the post season and neither are improving. It's time for a change for both the program and Brad's sake.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CU basketball just got a facility upgrade & will get better

Feb 8, 2017, 10:12 PM

I didn't read all the responses but I think the disdain is for the performance of THIS team...a team that was suppose to fair much better than they have.

I don't think people expect immediate impact from facilities. It just doesn't make sense that a team with a defensive minded coach quits playing defense.

Feb 8, 2017, 10:18 PM

I think it's obvious to most that BB cannot coach in a close game. Six years of excuses is enough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2017, 12:22 PM

On what grounds will Clemson BB get better? The renovation lowered our seating capacity making it more difficult to recruit top players. Our coach is mid-level at best and sub-par. Not recruiting game ready and effective bid men. Poor coaching from inspiration of players to game situations. Does not know how to finish games. The list goes on-and-on here!!!!

Good points, not to mention the fact that

Feb 9, 2017, 12:30 PM

KJ leaving early for the pros set us back several years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic