Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bubble Watch from SI.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Bubble Watch from SI.

Jan 25, 2017, 9:54 AM

ACC

Locks: Florida State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Virginia, Louisville, Duke

Clemson (11–8, 1­–6) is a case study in the double-edged sword of playing in a conference like the ACC. The benefit is that a schedule filled with at-large worthy teams creates plenty of opportunities for signature wins. The drawback is that those wins are hard to get, and a team can be, oh, I don’t know, 1–6 before it has a chance to blink. Such is the case with Clemson, which picked up its fifth and sixth ACC losses against Louisville and Virginia Tech last week. Their four other conference losses are to North Carolina, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech and Virginia. None of those, with the exception of Georgia Tech, is a bad loss. Unfortunately for the Tigers, no team can lose its way into the field of 68. The SI.com Bubble Watch committee firmly believes that the Tigers are one of the 36 best at-large teams, but they aren’t getting a bid if they lose 12 games in conference. They have just one game this week, at Pittsburgh. A slow week is a good time for them to get right.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson currently sits at 11-8 overall and 1-6 in conference

Jan 25, 2017, 10:21 AM

with eleven (11) regular season games remaining including two against FSU and one against Duke.

With a solid RPI, Clemson can still get an at-large birth but I think they'll likely need to finish with at least 9 conference wins to get there which means winning 8 of their last 11 games and even then, they may still need a win or two in the ACC Tournament to solidify their position.

Unfortunately, based on the remaining schedule, I am not optimistic this team has eight (or more) wins in them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Clemson currently sits at 11-8 overall and 1-6 in conference

Jan 25, 2017, 11:00 AM

I agree. Very unlikely. Just seems like people on the outside view the team more favorably then we do. Almost seems like 18-12. 8-10 acc would be enough with a w or 2 in acct.

I think 8-10 would probably get it done with a win in the

Jan 25, 2017, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Clemson currently sits at 11-8 overall and 1-6 in conference ]

tourney-- I think we'd be a lock at 9-9. The way I always try to look at the schedule is like golf. We need par(9-9) to qualify and we are currently at +2 because we have won 1 road game and lost 3 home games. Winning at Pitt gets us back to 1 over. It's really a must win, then you hope you can win at Miami or VT even though we gave them the one here. We may have to take both of those as FSU at home is going to be tough sledding. We're not out of it....finishing with 3 straight home games could show the committee we're hot at the end with a sweep and a marquee win.

The losses to GT and VT in particular were devastating. Having UNC in OT and not winning at home and not able to win a close one at ND---- ouch.

Re: I think 8-10 would probably get it done with a win in the

Jan 25, 2017, 11:32 AM

Not to be a complete negative nancy, but Clemson should honestly be 0-7 in conference play.

Without an epic WF collapse to end the game we are winless in the conference right now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think 8-10 would probably get it done with a win in the

Jan 25, 2017, 11:37 AM

By that logic we could also have a winning record with wins against unc, nd, and uva. I guess you're a glass half empty kind of guy.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I consider myself a realist

Jan 25, 2017, 11:52 AM

And realistically I have not seen anything from this team since ACC play started that leads me to believe we will be in the NCAA tournament and I don't see much of an argument to be made.

Losing close games to "good teams" is a coot football fallback. It doesn't get you in the dance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I consider myself a realist

Jan 25, 2017, 12:54 PM

I agree....at this point, I think it's a long shot they make the NIT

Mike Gminski thinks a 8-10 ACC team will make the NCAA

Jan 25, 2017, 1:48 PM [ in reply to I think 8-10 would probably get it done with a win in the ]

can't remember what game i was watching when he made that comment...

it was part of a discussion about how strong the conference is this year

hey, if NCSU can win in Cameron, the Tigers can too!

Re: Bubble Watch from SI.

Jan 25, 2017, 12:59 PM

Not even remotely possible this team turns it around lead by Brownlee.
I see maybe 3-4 more wins the rest of the season

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic