Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bridge to Clemson: Does anyone (parent or student)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 51

Bridge to Clemson: Does anyone (parent or student)

Feb 25, 2015, 8:08 AM

have any recent experience with the program? We live in Texas and my daughter has been accepted into the program. She plans to major in civil engineering at Clemson. Trying to find out if it is right for her or if she should consider other options. (I know - how could Clemson not be the right choice) She is independent and studies hard. TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't in it, but I have a few friends who were

Feb 25, 2015, 8:26 AM

it worked out perfectly fine for all of them.

Re: Bridge to Clemson: Does anyone (parent or student)

Feb 25, 2015, 8:29 AM

My son was in the bridge program and will graduate from Clemson this December in Finance. We had a good experience with the entire program. The apartments are nice and they have buses to shuttle students around campus. It is designed for students to succeed. We didn't have any issues.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2015, 8:31 AM

Congrats to your Daughter and to you as a parent. Though I have no experience with the Bridge Program at Clemson, I have heard it is a great way for kids to start out at Clemson. I it is a great way, especially for those who may need a little more time to mature or to get grades up a bit to get in the groove of the Clemson curriculum and show they can do the work. Kudos to you for your willingness to do the out of state tuition thing for your daughter, too. It is a load. I know it very well, though mine went to College of Charleston, instead of Clemson. Anywhere out of state is expensive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a daughter currently in the Bridge Program and

Feb 25, 2015, 8:32 AM

another who is about to graduate Clemson that went straight into Clemson. From our experience, the Bridge program is an excellent program. The apartments are top notch. We have been pleased as have other friends that have had sons/daughters go through the Bridge program.

The only drawback we see is not being on campus and the social aspect of living in a dorm, but then Highpointe is all Bridge students and like a huge dorm. My daughter will be living in an apartment next year also and has chosen not to live on campus; can't blame her it'd be hard to go from having your own room/bathroom to sharing a room and a communal bathroom.

BTW I am a CU civil engineering grad...good luck to your daughter. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have a daughter currently in the Bridge Program and

Feb 25, 2015, 8:38 AM

I wish my son had lived on campus after bridging over but I understand why after living in Highpointe. He liked Highpointe so much he lived there two more years. I will never forget my 4 1/2 years in Johnstone - it was a dump but what a cool dump.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know...I tried to get my daughter to try the dorms...but

Feb 25, 2015, 8:41 AM

there was no way. I enjoyed my 2 years in Johnstone and 1 year at Calhoun Courts.

Dorm space at Clemson is largely limited to....

Feb 25, 2015, 9:25 AM

freshmen and sops. Most upperclassmen live in off-campus housing partly because they choose to do so and partly because there really ins't sufficient space on compus to house them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I wouldn't have gone to college if I had to live in a dorm

Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM

everybody is different. The only experience that I wanted from college was an education. I already knew how to party and raise he!!, I didn't need Clemson to teach me that.

The off-campus dorm situation is being addressed, i think

Feb 25, 2015, 9:50 AM [ in reply to I have a daughter currently in the Bridge Program and ]

Last I saw, a Bridge dorm is going up soon where Douthit Hills used to be, no? It may not house ALL the Bridge students, but it mitigates the issue a little bit at least...

Feb 25, 2015, 8:33 AM

My nephew is a freshman in The Bridge program. He was a great student, but this was the route that he took. He loves it, and the housing facilities seem to be better than what he would have experienced as a freshman. Actually....a universe of better over Johnstone. It would be worth a tour to see for yourself. This is a great way to go.

Feb 25, 2015, 8:35 AM

Our friends/neighbors have a son who just finished his first year at Clemson after starting out in the bridge program. He attended either a tech school or junior college near Clemson for the first year. It was a great program for them.
Several years ago my niece from PA had to complete a couple courses at her local tech school for deferred spring enrollment. She also had a good experience and is now a proud Clemson alumna.

If our son had been offered the bridge program he would have taken it because Clemson is where he wants to be. He's all set to start at Clemson this fall. Hopefully your daughter will end up there as well - if that's her ultimate wish. Good luck with the decision!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

you pay more for a higher probability of

Feb 25, 2015, 8:35 AM

Acceptance and to get the kid in the area.

I've known several people who transfered in to Clemson after 1-2 years at a reputable tech or smaller schools with no problems.

3 became engineers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Actually the total cost is less than Clemson...boarding is

Feb 25, 2015, 8:47 AM

higher of course but it should be. As long as you make the grades you are automatically (bridged) into Clemson. There are a few majors that you can't bridge into. For instance my daughter is currently majoring in English but wants to be a teacher. She'll bridge over as an English major and then change to Education (hopefully).

less than Clemson...but more than a comparable tech school

Feb 25, 2015, 10:09 AM

You pay the higher cost for the higher acceptance rate. . As you say 100%.

I don't know what the typical acceptance rate is for tech transfers.

I can say I know 4 people who transfered in from tri county tech in Charleston. When I took them to orientation to see what tech classes counted toward Clemson classes many of the departments said trident tech classes were 1:1 with Clemson for most of the 1 and 2 year basic classes.

Long story short. .imo.. if you make grades st any reputable small school you will get in.

His situation in Texas may be different.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Feb 25, 2015, 8:58 AM

if y'all do decide to send her and have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer any question you might have. Graduate in 11. We need more Texas tigers!

DO IT! If your student thinks that Clemson is a good fit,

Feb 25, 2015, 9:04 AM

Bridging is a legitimate way to go. You have access to everything at Clemson, just take classes at Tri-County for the first year. Costs are less, classes are smaller and it really gives students a good opportunity to get started well.

Furthermore, the graduation rate for students who bridge is higher than students who start at the main campus.

Best of all, at the end of 4 years, the Diploma is a Clemson diploma.

My son did it. Was totally PO'd when he didn't get accepted straight away, but bridged and finished on the President's List, graduated from Clemson in 4 years and had a job offer from Deloitte before graduation.

Not that you can tell, but I am a huge believer.

Feb 25, 2015, 9:18 AM

I was one of the first groups of students to through the program, luckily for me I was the first to get to live at High Point, and they are 100 times nicer than where they used to put the bridge kids.

I would 100% recommend it. One its a great transition from high school to college- smaller sized classes, and also much easier for the most part. Also, obviously it wont be the same bc you are out of state, but i went to school for free my freshman year bc of my life scholarship which my parents really appreciated, they only had to pay my room and board.

Add in the fact youre living in a very nice apt where you have your own room and own bathroom- that definitely beats dorm life.

Other positives are sports tickets- they save a certain amount for just the bridge kids. I remember we were playing Duke at home my freshman year- and while others had to camp out for days to get tickets, i walked into the bridge office the day of the game and got tickets in maybe 2 minutes. '

The only real negative is if she wants to do greek life. I still rushed and was given a bid (under the table) but like i said i was one of the first bridge students they have gotten a lot stricter recently and this doesnt happen as often, especially not for girls.

Overall it was an awesome experience and i would do it again

Couson loved it. Do it ! Graduated last May from CU.***

Feb 25, 2015, 9:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Program with lots of opportunity for tutoring

Feb 25, 2015, 9:39 AM

and study sessions. The program is geared towards helping the students succeed. They hold study sessions on campus at TriCounty as well as the complex where they all live, High Point I believe. They send students from Clemson to sit in on the classes and take notes and these are the Study Session leaders. There is also a shuttle service to and from campus and the Clemson Area Transit is free and very easy to get around town if you child doesn't have a car.

Feb 25, 2015, 9:40 AM

My son did the program and graduated cumlada with a bachelor of science after getting into Clemson. Other than living off campus, he had to have a car . He played intramural sports and was president of a phaternity. I think the program motivated him to study hard and to get to Clemson. After graduating Clemson he went on to MUSC and graduated with a BSN in Nursing. He would tell you to study hard and enjoy Clemson Life.

bachelor of science in what major?***

Feb 25, 2015, 10:11 AM

Re: bachelor of science in what major?***

Feb 25, 2015, 1:32 PM

Biological Science.

Feb 25, 2015, 10:26 AM

I graduated from Clemson in 09 with a BS in Civil but transferred into Clemson in 06. This was before the bridge program and I started at Trident Tech in Charleston. The lotto scholarship for state residents made it pretty cheap at Trident so I took all the basics that would transfer and I transfered with no problem having a GPA over 3.0. Surprisingly, my GPA at Clemson ended up being higher than what I had at Trident Tech. Also, it's always good to have more tigers here in Texas.

Feb 25, 2015, 10:41 AM

My sister just finished bridging last year and is now a sophomore. I'm a senior here as well and know a lot of people who have done it. In my opinion, it was perfect for her. It allowed her to get acclimated to college classes and the workload as well. Not to mention, her "dorms" were better than any dorm on Clemson's campus! She made lots of great friends and I would totally recommend it for your daughter.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a real estate scheme

Feb 25, 2015, 11:03 AM

Your child will be paying to be a pretend Clemson student. You'll, in fact, be paying for
a luxury apartment while your kid attends community college. Save your money, go to community
college and transfer later. Of course, if money is no object, have fun and party in the apartment
complex.

That is correct.

Mar 4, 2015, 8:19 AM

The Bridge Program does nothing to insure that a participant will be admitted to Clemson. Any good local community colleges which has Clemson on it's transfer list will be able to steer a student in the right direction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is correct.

Mar 9, 2015, 11:00 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a GPA > 2.5 in the bridge guarantees you a spot at Clemson. I believe normal transfer student needs at least a 3.0, and even then acceptance is not guaranteed.

Was a great experience for my son.

Mar 10, 2015, 12:35 AM

Who received his CLEMSON ring tonight and will graduate with a 3.4 gpa in May!!! :). Great evening, and I am so proud that he will be the first of hopefully many Mayers to come. Wish I could have been first, but my late great Dad sent me to Winthrop instead. Glad to finally get a CU grad in the family, and for US, the Bridge Program was the jump start to get there.

So Proud of Him and of You Parents!

Mar 10, 2015, 11:27 AM

What a great Dad to be so conscientious and filled with pride and appreciation for a child's accomplishments, and a significant accomplishment is is. Kudos to y'all and especially to him. Outside of God, country and family, I can think of nothing greater than Clemson. He will appreciate this more than he now knows. Job well done!

Thanks so much for the kind words. Clemson will hopefully be my daughter's choice also.

Mar 11, 2015, 12:59 AM

The class represented by your post is why there really is something in these hills. :)

Son is in it now and it is working out well. Other than

Mar 10, 2015, 8:16 PM

Frats and Varsity sports he is treated about the same. He has a Clemson ID uses all the facilities, plays intramural sports, etc. It is likely more than community college at home, but it is a completely different experience IMHO. He would rather be on campus, but I think that is his biggest complaint. But he likes Highpointe.

Good luck with her decision.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Niece is in the bridge program now, she seems to like it

Mar 10, 2015, 8:36 PM

She is in the second semester, and living in the dorms for the bridge students. I think her plan is to live in an apartment in the fall though. Anyway, she seems to be satisfied with it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my sons about to do it...hope you

Mar 10, 2015, 8:55 PM

Have paid the deposit because it's now full. Your deposit now will only place you on the wait list. Good luck.

Mar 10, 2015, 9:19 PM

I was very disappointed initially when my daughter did not achieve full acceptance. She was in state, active in athletics, student council, had great grades, but her SAT scores were not high enough. I tried every angle I could to help her gain full acceptance. As it turned out, the Bridge year was the best thing that could have happened to her. She was focused from Day 1 in college to make the grades for automatic acceptance and has never looked back. She felt almost like a full Clemson freshman. She graduated in four years and has a successful career in merchandising. It is a strong program, and I wish your child the best. Go Tigers!

Replies: 34
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic