Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bob Stoops Says Players Paid "Quite Handsomely"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,373

Bob Stoops Says Players Paid "Quite Handsomely"

Apr 10, 2013, 12:53 PM

Posted: 10:39 a.m. Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma's $40 million coach, says players paid 'quite handsomely'

By The Hater

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has a message for any of his players who have the audacity to think that maybe they deserve more than their scholarship money:

Shut up and play.

OK, those weren't his exact words. What he said to The Sporting News was actually worse.

“I tell my guys all the time,” Stoops says, “you’re not the first one to spend a hungry Sunday without any money.”

This is true. Lots of people go hungry. Most of them aren't part of a skilled, scarce labor pool that generates lots of revenue in return for a tiny percentage of $35.5 million in profits while actually losing money because of extra fees for the job, but still.

More Stoops: “I don’t get why people say these guys don’t get paid. It’s simple, they are paid quite often, quite a bit and quite handsomely.”

Stoops will make $4.55 million in 2013 as part of the eight years, $39.4 million (minimum) extension he signed in 2011. But, hey, Stoops is worth every penny because he's a middle manager for a money-making enterprise.

The players? Well, they might be the faces of the program. Perhaps all that money wouldn't roll in if Oklahoma didn't get players good enough to compete at the highest level of football.

But Stoops doesn't want to talk about what players do to help the program (and him) make money. He just tells them what the school does for them, comparing them to “regular” students who don't generate revenue for the school beyond the overinflated tuition they pay.

“You get room and board, and we’ll give you the best nutritionist, the best strength coach to develop you, the best tutors to help you academically, and coaches to teach you and help you develop. How much do you think it would cost to hire a personal trainer and tutor for 4-5 years?”

Oklahoma will give players all of that for as long as they are useful. If they aren't, then suddenly that year-to-year scholarship is not renewed. And to make sure they stay useful, the players need to put a lot of time into football, so it's probably not a good idea to major in a subject that will take too much time studying.

And what about all those fans buying up jerseys because the players make them popular? Stoops has an answer for that, too.

“Sam Bradford was one of the most humble and grounded players I’ve ever been around; he got it,” Stoops said. “But I even told him, what makes you think those fans in the stands are wearing No.14 for you? Who says it’s not an old Josh Heupel jersey? I tell our guys all the time. It could be you—or it could be anyone else.”

So, you see, Stoops has to make sure he gets his message across about players not being worth as much as they or others think even if those players are “grounded.” Don't want them to get uppity.

Stoops adds that “70,000 fans in the stadium are cheering and buying tickets to see Oklahoma” and not the players. If that's true, then Oklahoma should go ahead and drop down to Division III. Then the Sooners don't have to give the players any scholarship money at all and the athletes will be true students.

Surely, those 70,000 people still will come out and cheer on Oklahoma because it's all about the school.

In the meantime, Stoops, millionaire and leader of men, doesn't want these kids to go off thinking they might be worth more than what they are getting. Stoops should hope the players don't get them too much education at Oklahoma because then they might learn some critical thinking skills and figure out the coach is full of ish.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The Hater" is a good name for that writer

Apr 10, 2013, 1:03 PM

looking for controversy wherever he can find it. Most college students would love to have the scholarships and perks that athletes who are having their whole education paid for get. I know scholarships don't assure them spending money or money for food, but just about everybody can come up with that when they don't have to pay for rent or anything else.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I basically agree with Stoops, although I wouldn't put

Apr 10, 2013, 1:04 PM

it so crassly. The players do benefit plenty from their scholarships and all the advantages that come with playing FBS football. Whenever they start allowing players to be paid a stipend, they might as well eliminate college football as we know it and start an NFL minor league. JMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

"The Hater" overlooks one key point that Stoops doesn't

Apr 10, 2013, 1:21 PM

mention.

Most of those athletes wouldn't even be able to get in to Oklahoma if is wasn't for football. THAT is their main benefit. They have been given access to all Oklahoma has to offer because they possess a skill that is coveted in the USA.

If they have sights on the NFL, let's see them accomplish that goal without the Oklahoma's of the world. If they don't make the NFL (which would be the overwhelming majority), then they have had a golden opportunity to earn a college degree. A golden opportunity most kids don't get.

Stoops is right - they are paid handsomely.

Stoops point about the #14 jersey is kind of stupid though. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These folks wearing the 14 jersey

Apr 10, 2013, 1:22 PM

don't just get a new jersey when that player's eligibility is up. I still see plenty of 28s on clemson fans.

The jersey number is more important in the pros where people will get a new favorite player.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but Spiller certainly had a lot to do with the #28's

Apr 10, 2013, 1:27 PM

that were sold in the past. The underlying point was that players don't even get paid when the university is able to sell more jerseys with their number on it. Stoops was basically saying, "How do you know that's a Spiller #28? Maybe it's a Joe Schlebotnik #28."

Spiller was the best player on the team. I think the point

Apr 10, 2013, 1:37 PM

That keeps getting danced around is that fans who want to wear a jersey, will get the jersey for the best player on the team. The more successful the team is, the more jerseys they will sell (bandwagon effect) and those jerseys likely will be for the best player--Spiller, Sammy, Nuk, Taj (in order of successive years). Remember Hamilton, Currie, Merriweather and Proctor? They all had jerseys printed too.

I'm sure there have been plenty of SCAR jerseys sold over time. See...you don't have to be good, just the best option.

Re: I very proudly wear my # 15 3/4 jersey

Apr 10, 2013, 1:58 PM [ in reply to These folks wearing the 14 jersey ]

just to mess with peoples heads. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These writers are so myopic

Apr 10, 2013, 1:21 PM

All they cover is football and basketball so they see "all the revenue flowing in." What they don't realize is that it isn't a football and basketball department its an athletic department. If you start paying scholarship athletes in football, you are going to have to pay every scholarship athlete. No school can afford that.

The ironic thing, many of these same writers (christine brennan) would be the ones screaming Title IX or some other discrimination if they tied the player payment to the sports revenue. They would come out with story after story of "Linebacker gets paid X. Woman's rower gets paid X/10. Where's the fairness?"

That is the chief issue to me.

Apr 10, 2013, 1:31 PM

There is simply no way that we can pay ever athlete any significant sum and not have that effect the bottom line of the athletic department in such a drastic measure as to cause the cancellation of many non revenue sports.

And I don't, for a second, see the NCAA allowing the paying of players in one sport and not another.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is there a football program struggling to fill it's roster?

Apr 10, 2013, 2:52 PM

No? Didn't think so. The only time a football program doesn't have a full roster or doesn't use all its scholarships is if it is passing on players because it doesn't want them for four years because it thinks it can get better players next year.

Players aren't "underpaid" and the reason I know this is that there is more supply of players than there is demand for their services.

The day we see Oklahoma playing ironman football because they can't get enough players to play for them is the day "paying players" should be looked at.

What needs to happen is that someone with some financial resources needs to establish a new NFL developmental league that provides kids who have no interest in a college education with the opportunity to develop their skills in their chosen profession (football). You could play in the Spring, the championship could be in the summer (and therefore could be anywhere), you could incorporate basic Communications and PR training so that they can enter the NFL ready to get endorsement deals, etc. You could tweak the game like other small-time leagues have (ie, get rid of all reviews so that the game flows more smoothly). And, of course, you could offer a salary. Then any amateur player who thought college was being unfair would have an option. The fact that that option is fairly unavailable today is NOT the fault of college football or the NCAA.

null

You honestly think the idea never came up or that

Apr 10, 2013, 4:11 PM

the NCAA wouldn't do everything in their power to squash such an organization? A minor league was around for a while. It was World League of American football played mostly in western Europe. Vince MacMahon tried establishing a pro league to compete with the NFL endorsed by NBC (the XFL). It's not like these organizations haven't existed. The NFL has a backroom agreement not to run a minor league so the NCAA can continue to cash in on these athletes. It's why the NFL has the 3 year rule for football. The NCAA and the NFL work together in this.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, that's all speculation, but even if it were true, so?

Apr 10, 2013, 5:40 PM

What exactly would the NCAA do to "squash" a professional league? What if the NFL and the NCAA are in "cahoots"? What exactly can they do? If I'm ABC and I don't have a piece of the NFL pie, I'd take a new league.

Why is there now some super-secret hush-hush only-DontH8me-knows-about-it handshake agreement between the NFL and NCAA now, but there wasn't when the World League started?

The XFL didn't fail because of any super-secret agreement. It failed because they were stupid enough to EXAGGERATE everything people hate about professional sports instead of what people like about professional sports. No one wanted a clown show football league.

null

It's not some super secret hush hush contract. it's simply

Apr 10, 2013, 5:53 PM

an agreement that's mutually beneficial to both the NFL (they get a farm league without any need to manage or financially invest) and the NCAA (they get buckets of cash at the expense of student athletes). It isn't some silly conspiracy, it's merely that they've decided to work together instead of the NFL trying to create a minor farm league of their own.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that author is an absolute moron.***

Apr 10, 2013, 4:32 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,373
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic