Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bloomberg Reporting Maryland with Link
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Bloomberg Reporting Maryland with Link

Jan 18, 2013, 2:06 PM

For what it is worth, UMD has filed a counter lawsuit against the ACC to have the exit Fee removed. ACC has begun holding back revenue as collateral against the fee.

ACC must win versus Maryland or there is going to be a big explosion.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-18/maryland-sues-college-football-league-on-penalty-for-leaving-1-.html

Message was edited by: EssoClub2®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we should now increase the amount to the original amt***

Jan 18, 2013, 2:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we should now increase the amount to the original amt

Jan 18, 2013, 2:13 PM

I agree. never should have reduced it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the ACC has really started holding back money...***

Jan 18, 2013, 2:14 PM [ in reply to we should now increase the amount to the original amt*** ]

If the ACC has really started holding back money while litigation is pending, the conference could be really screwing up. That seems tatamount to extortion, and could open the door for other damages if Maryland prevails. Keep in mind Maryland voted NO on the fee.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the ACC has really started holding back money...***

Jan 18, 2013, 3:59 PM

and Clemson (barker) voted FOR the increase!!!we will never get to where we should be as long as barker is @ Clemson...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe you can quit b:tching about our schools president until

Jan 18, 2013, 4:06 PM

At least the day after his triple bypass heart surgery

Pr:ck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or there is going to be a big 12 explosion***

Jan 18, 2013, 2:17 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The big exit fee isn't the only thing keeping the ACC intact***

Jan 18, 2013, 2:21 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

What will be REALLY interesting, will be the discovery

Jan 18, 2013, 2:23 PM

process that MD will invoke to determine damages claimed by the ACC. In that process, we will see (finally) just how bad the TV deal Swoffie negotiated, really is.

My guess is MD gets away scot-free as Swofford doesn't want the contract to become public.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: What will be REALLY interesting, will be the discovery

Jan 18, 2013, 2:28 PM

> process that MD will invoke to determine damages
> claimed by the ACC. In that process, we will see
> (finally) just how bad the TV deal Swoffie
> negotiated, really is.
>
> My guess is MD gets away scot-free as Swofford
> doesn't want the contract to become public.

"winner winner chicken dinner"... the timing of UMD filing the suit is interesting as well. This thing will move pretty quickly . That is just my opinion and no , I do not have a crystal ball.

I just hope our peeps are staying 100% abreast of the rapidly changing landscape, and that Clemson remains in a conference that has access to the big prize.

The ACC won this when they filed first. A NC court will here

Jan 18, 2013, 2:33 PM

this case and UMD will pay. They can whine all they want, conference bylaws make it binding once 2/3 vote yes on something. The fact that UMD voted against it doesn't matter. In fact it will work the other way against them, showing that they were in collusion behinds the scenes preparing for their exit.

Re: The ACC won this when they filed first. A NC court will here

Jan 18, 2013, 2:38 PM

> this case and UMD will pay. They can whine all they
> want, conference bylaws make it binding once 2/3 vote
> yes on something. The fact that UMD voted against it
> doesn't matter. In fact it will work the other way
> against them, showing that they were in collusion
> behinds the scenes preparing for their exit.

IF it is tried in NC you would be correct. UMD suit claims that the ACC has violated anti-trust law and thet the ONLY jurisdiction for the case is Maryland.

It will turn in to a pissing match, ACC is in a very weak position based on precedent according to the Maryland Attorney General.

Not to argue with you, but what else can the UMD AG say ?

Jan 18, 2013, 2:44 PM

From my understanding, in order for this to be heard in a UMD court, the NC court would have to dismiss it. I remember reading at the time the ACC filed it's case, they stated they filed first in order to have it heard in a NC court because that in the home office of the ACC. If they are correct,UMD is just throwing a lot of stuff up hoping something sticks.

U could be right, I just don't see a NC court dismissing the case or even a higher court because the ACC had home field once they filed first in their home state.

Re: Not to argue with you, but what else can the UMD AG say ?

Jan 18, 2013, 3:42 PM

There are a lot of complicated legal issues going on with something like this. My guess is that the ACC will file a motion to dismiss in Maryland stating that this dispute is the subject of litigation in North Carolina. Without getting into the actual documents filed with the courts the ACC filing first is significant, and may win the day for them.

But the ACC still needs to win a motion to dismiss in Maryland, and stave off any motion to dismiss (filed by Maryland) in North Carolina court.

Re: The ACC won this when they filed first. A NC court will here

Jan 18, 2013, 2:43 PM [ in reply to The ACC won this when they filed first. A NC court will here ]

> this case and UMD will pay. They can whine all they
> want, conference bylaws make it binding once 2/3 vote
> yes on something. The fact that UMD voted against it
> doesn't matter. In fact it will work the other way
> against them, showing that they were in collusion
> behinds the scenes preparing for their exit.

wrong, it will never get to a courtroom for trial. The ACC will have to produce both the By-laws and the ACC TV contract as part of discovery. Maryland and any other ACC school will then be able to use that horrible deal as an example of why they had to leave the conference to protect their best interests.

ACC should find a way to settle this thing and fast.

You keep saying it's a horrible deal and yet Forbes

Jan 18, 2013, 3:12 PM

thinks that it's pretty-much on-par with other conferences and actually more than the SEC (pending their long-awaited renegotiation).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/01/16/the-most-valuable-conferences-in-college-sports/

null

Re: What will be REALLY interesting, will be the discovery

Jan 18, 2013, 4:02 PM [ in reply to What will be REALLY interesting, will be the discovery ]

very well said.. and @ that point the MUST FIRE his stupid ####!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC should have made UMD play every game on the road

Jan 18, 2013, 2:32 PM

The loss of income from not playing any football, basketball, baseball games at home would have hurt them as well.

lol

Jan 18, 2013, 3:43 PM

haha

If ACC fails look out.

Jan 18, 2013, 2:49 PM

FSU off and running? Clemson?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

where are they going though? No real options at this pt***

Jan 18, 2013, 3:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: where are they going though? No real options at this pt***

Jan 18, 2013, 3:25 PM

IF enough eastern teams were to jump, the big12 would be an option. An Eastern division of Clemson, FSU, VT, NC State, WV, Louisville, Pitt and Iowa State (These are just examples) You could add or remove plenty of teams) would be enticing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic