Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So is there a 1 for 1 DirectTV replacement yet?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 435

So is there a 1 for 1 DirectTV replacement yet?

Feb 5, 2019, 9:26 AM

I'm not talking about your shi.tty hook up 7 different devices to get all of the sports channels and local channels. An actual 1 for 1 replacement where I can watch and record live TV, pause and rewind live tv, and still get all of the important channels (local, every sports channel, and the main cable channels).

Last time I looked there wasn't an option but my future internet options are limited so it would be direct tv plus some asspensive a.ss internet since I can't bundle ATT internet. Looking at option of high speed internet plus a streaming service that rivals direct tv.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YEP

Feb 5, 2019, 9:28 AM

https://www.dish.com/

Dish Network?

Feb 5, 2019, 9:29 AM

If by 7 different devices you mean a Roku Box or a Streaming Stick, I can't help you. However, youtube TV works fine for me, watch and record live TV, locals are there in my area, all sports channels are in there (at least the ones I watch are) and you can upgrade to HBO if you need to (I think).

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just looked into youtube tv

Feb 5, 2019, 9:35 AM

Has more useless channels than direct tv and no HGTV. how am I gonna keep up with

Not sure. I just don't watch much TV so it is a great

Feb 5, 2019, 9:51 AM

option for us.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Add Philo TV for $16 - so, Youtube TV + Philo $56/mo

Feb 5, 2019, 10:15 AM [ in reply to just looked into youtube tv ]

I switched a couple of weeks ago and canceled Directv - perfectly happy with that combo on a Roku Ultra...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DirectTV Now***

Feb 5, 2019, 9:31 AM

Doesn't have several of my local channels

Feb 5, 2019, 9:38 AM

How am I supposed to watch this old house with out SC ETV?

Just swing by Somerby to enjoy some ETV

Feb 5, 2019, 9:41 AM

https://www.somerbyseniorliving.com/community/mount-pleasant-sc/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2019_Somerby_Mt-Pleasant&gclid=Cj0KCQiAheXiBRD-ARIsAODSpWMEg4eRcF4-4HEq1xTXohh1iEqdTb0sDib5dG_UmlXWdLbKQOL4HLYaAnNdEALw_wcB

I only go there on tuesdays

Feb 5, 2019, 9:47 AM

This old house comes on Friday

Local channels are free

Feb 5, 2019, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Doesn't have several of my local channels ]

Just about any antenna will do if you live close to a city. I live in BFE, so this is the one I got. Get all the Augusta stations and Columbia stations. (If you put it outside, might want an inline signal booster)

ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount - 60 Mile Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RH5GZI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RfAwCbW843ABY

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

you missed the part where I said '7 different devices'***

Feb 5, 2019, 9:53 AM

Pretty sure all the public TV stations have apps you can

Feb 5, 2019, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Doesn't have several of my local channels ]

download and enjoy on your streaming box (TWSS) for free. Kids watch PBS shows some.

but can i record that to a dvr/cloud? probably not***

Feb 5, 2019, 9:54 AM

Well, not with that attitude you can't***

Feb 5, 2019, 9:55 AM

Alot of it is on demand. You should look into that

Feb 5, 2019, 9:57 AM [ in reply to but can i record that to a dvr/cloud? probably not*** ]

cause I am certainly not going to do all the legwork for you.

yes, with a Tablo or HdHomerun tuner setup + Plex***

Feb 5, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to but can i record that to a dvr/cloud? probably not*** ]

I'm thinking of doing this.

Feb 5, 2019, 9:56 AM

It aggregates all of your OTA, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix etc into one location, and has a 1 TB DVR. It has 4 TV tuners so you can have OTA signals going to 4 separate TV's. And it has a unified channel guide.

One interface, and no changing of sources or inputs. A buddy just went to this and we discussed it at length; he said this fixes all the problems of having streaming packages and OTA and combines them all into one interface. He dropped Direct TV after his bill got to almost $300/month.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Recast-over-air-hours/dp/B074J1GPB8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I beleedat you still need FireTV's on those 4 TV's, right?

Feb 5, 2019, 10:02 AM

this doesn't replace those?

So, you still have the FireTV UI to deal w/, it just now includes OTA?

There are other (cheaper) ways to do this, without limiting yourself to the Amazon hardware (which is fine, if that's what you like and plan to stick with)

it's a cool device, for sure....but something that SiliconDust/HDHomeRun has been doing for a few years in conjuntion w/ their own DVR service or PLEX (which I use and highly rec)

Correct..a firestick or fireTV***

Feb 5, 2019, 10:08 AM

there's this

Feb 5, 2019, 10:18 AM

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/silicondust-hdhomerun-connect-quatro-tuner-free-live-ota-tv-w-2-mo-free-dvr-black/6079602.p?skuId=6079602

4 tuner networked DVR, works with HDHomeRun app on iOS & android (which FireTV is), and supposably coming soon to Roku. Live TV is Free, DVR services thru their app have a monthly subscription, or thru Plex (which is on EVERYTHING) has monthly/yearly/lifetime subscrip). Plex also does a shitton more things, too...

I've seen THIS on sale for $99. at the current price, plus setup plus subscriptions, you're probably looking at the same out of pocket, but not locked in to FireTV (should you ever want to change)

There are cheaper (2 Tuner) options, too

I think I want 4 tuners

Feb 5, 2019, 10:50 AM

but I'm in a Comcast contract until June or july..so it will be a few months.

I've been praying for an a la carte dish/cable system

Feb 5, 2019, 10:03 AM

for 20+ years. Imagine the ability to choose just the channels you want/need, and pay for those ONLY. No shopping networks, no religious channels, no Hallmark or Oprah or fake news.

Just the 10-15 channels you watch and that's it.

And if you want to step it up another HUGE notch......you only pay for the time the TV is on, like electricity (you KNOW they can meter that). Would solve the chronic illiteracy/stupidity/obesity/laziness epidemics in less than 10 years. The reason my TV is on about 80% of the time I am home and awake is because I'm paying for it whether I watch it for 10 minutes or 10 hours. Background noise mostly. If that changed, I would change. Society would change.

What a simple solution to a horrific pox on our existence.

WoW cable TV promised that about 5-7 years ago

Feb 5, 2019, 10:10 AM

I mean the ala carte TV part. Then they had a corp shakeup and the president who was saying that was coming for two years was shitcanned.

Spectrum offers that via streaming service

Feb 5, 2019, 10:20 AM

BUT their streaming service is horrible. So there's that.

and it USED to be only available IN home, and on Roku only

Feb 5, 2019, 10:27 AM

not sure if that's still the case

It's coming, but it will be more expensive than you think.

Feb 5, 2019, 10:51 AM [ in reply to I've been praying for an a la carte dish/cable system ]

I'm thinking just ESPN would charge on the order of $30 a month.

I cancelled and got YouTubeTV. Superbowl worked great

Feb 5, 2019, 10:24 AM

but my wife did point out that it doesn't have HGTV. Fortunately, she didn't care since we're saving over $100 a month.

HGTV & DIY roku apps (i assume other systems, too) have a

Feb 5, 2019, 10:29 AM

good bit of free content, FYI

and yeah, that's the one negative I've got for YTV. Its got every other channel I care to watch

Also missing A&E so no Live PD.

Feb 5, 2019, 10:44 AM

frownyface.gif

Glad to hear that. I was gonna get it before SB to test

Feb 5, 2019, 10:43 AM [ in reply to I cancelled and got YouTubeTV. Superbowl worked great ]

their ability to stream a big sporting event, since that is where others fall short sometimes.

Followup question, how long after I cancel cable

Feb 5, 2019, 10:36 AM

Will I be eligible for the new customer pricing?

My contract with Comcast expires in April and the old trick of pretending to cancel doesn't seem to work anymore, so I'm thinking about cancelling cable and sucking it up with internet only for a month or so and then getting TV back under new customer pricing, butt is it going to be 1/3 months or 6 months?

I thought a year with Comcast?

Feb 5, 2019, 10:51 AM

Could be wrong though but seems like i remember reading that

No.

Feb 5, 2019, 10:58 AM

DTV is the GOAT for service, programming and the cost is crushing. They starting using new software after the AT&T buyout and just about have everything worked out. The monthly bill reminds me that they are thieves and liars but the TV service is clearly better than anything else I've ever had.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

still don't understand the whole cost issue people have

Feb 5, 2019, 11:01 AM

I pay $105/mo for DTV and ATT internet bundled. I think i have the 2nd or 3rd level package and get every sports channel except the CBS sports network.

Bill creep is my issue

Feb 5, 2019, 11:17 AM

I had $100 bundled years ago and then when it's renewal time they won't drop the price even if you threaten to cancel but then offer it for $5-$10 a month and you're like "okay whatever". I refuse to get DTV so my switching options are fairly limited, I can get Uverse TV instead of DTV but it's just as expensive as my Comcast bundle so I've been sticking with Comcast for now

Tell them you're too poor to afford it.

Feb 5, 2019, 11:20 AM

Everyone I've talked to said they can't get the $50 off per bill but I had zero issues

Re: Bill creep is my issue

Feb 5, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Bill creep is my issue ]

After a couple years I'm up to about 150 with full package minus the pro sports. AT&T internet is the suck too. ~25 megabit service which averages 26 mb during good times but drops off during peak hours causing video and link issues to surface.

Never the less, DVT TV is still the GOAT. I've had it on and off for ~25 years and nothing touches it.

Did I say I'm poor?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why you no wanna Sling?....

Feb 5, 2019, 1:53 PM
Sling.jpg(117.2 K)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 435
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic