Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Back in the good ol' days
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,299

Back in the good ol' days

Dec 14, 2013, 9:05 PM

during my student years of the 70's Furman was a competitive rival for us in basketball. At that time they hosted a Christmas tournament called "The Poinsettia Classic" that was played at the old Greenville Memorial Auditorium, Furman's home court. I remember the 1975 championship game with Furman. They had a seven foot senior center Fessor Leonard and six nine forward Clyde Mayes who attended Wade Hampton High in Greenville. He was an excellent player and had a career in the NBA with the Milwaukee Bucks. Clemson had freshman center Tree Rollins, guard Van Gregg and Wayne Croft. Tree ate up Leonard that night and we won going away. Furman won the Southern Conference and made the 32 team big dance. Those were the days when we would fill Littlejohn almost every night and Furman would pull a lot of folks to the 6,000 seat Memorial Auditorium. Now Furman plays in an on campus arena that I haven't figured out yet design wise and we are getting ready to shrink Littlejohn. Just posting for the older Tigers on the board reminding us of the way things use to be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep....good memories!***

Dec 14, 2013, 9:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back in the good ol' days

Dec 14, 2013, 9:42 PM

I remember when Frank Selvey played for Furman. That was a great basketball team. Frank scored a hundred against PC in the late 50's. The coach at my high school was the point guard on that team. In 59 or 60 I saw Furman play West Virginia when Jerry West was 'the' basketball player. THOSE were the good old days!!!

I still like this Tiger team I watched tonight.

I remember some good ones with Brennan vs Smith

Dec 14, 2013, 10:09 PM

We played home and home and took the band there. Lot of fun.....banners and everything.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for Jim Brennan reference ... he once held the ACC

Dec 15, 2013, 1:54 AM

record for consecutive free throws without a miss.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should've been at Clemson, when I was, in the 60's,

Dec 15, 2013, 4:58 AM

when we played in Fike.

Now, talking about a loud, raucous crowd! Most "Rats" attended games at the...ahem, "gentle" urging of upperclassmen, and the games I remember attending were generally played to a full house.

When LJ opened late in '68 during my senior year, we thought we had arrived in the big time and were proud of that new facility. But it just didn't seem to offer the same level of intimacy that Fike provided.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should've been at Clemson, when I was, in the 60's,

Dec 15, 2013, 11:12 AM

Every game I saw was at Fike at it was unreal. Wish we could duplicate that atmosphere.
Bring back the Rats!

The "Cow Palace" was a special place for sure ...

Dec 15, 2013, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Should've been at Clemson, when I was, in the 60's, ]

We weren't a very good basketball program for most of the time the place was in use, but we won a lot of games simply because of the environment.

My favorite moment was the night Frank Howard faced off with Frank McGwire over the fact that our football team was stationed under the SCAR basket intimidating the gamecock players no end ... 1966 0r 1967.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,299
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic