Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone want to go in on 3/4 gal of imron 500S...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 327

Anyone want to go in on 3/4 gal of imron 500S...

Jun 9, 2018, 3:41 PM

polyurethane and a quart of Dupont 192S activator. I have the zebrano trim stripped to the wood but can't see spending 300 bucks to get top grade finish. I expect to use 1/3 of both products and you can have the other 2/3rds for half the cost. I'll even pay the shipping.

If you live close to Greenville I might load up my equipment, come over and spray the rest of the product for you if you have any wood that you need a permanent clear gloss finish on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet I'm the only one that knows what you are talking about...

Jun 9, 2018, 6:14 PM

Ive had 4 MB 300 wagons. Found two wagons at a junkyard once outside orangeburg, absolutely perfect wood trim. Stripped everything put of them, also found two perfect rear wagon lenses and two perfect headlight bezels. Took it in to office, guy says what is it? Before i could say anything, he says "Ah hell give me $5 and get out of here"
Best junkyard haul ever.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a fan of any MB with an om617 engine.

Jun 9, 2018, 7:46 PM

I love the old SLs but me and gas engines don't get along. Ethanol has put more in the junkyards than teenage boys chasing trills.

If you've dealt with restoring the trim on these cars you know that the clear poly we have today just won't cut it. When I first examined the finish as it chipped and came off I though the stain was mixed with the varnish. Now I'm not so sure. There seems to be stain in the varnish and stain on the wood too. Do you know which is correct?

Anyway, the price of this finish is going to set me back a lump sum more than the half the cost of refinishing the vinyl. The seats only cost me about 200 bucks to strip, soften and dye. I wish SEM made a clear polyurethane for this wood. Those people are the best, the absolute top shelf when it comes to original colors, durability and stringent prep work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back in the day....

Jun 9, 2018, 8:43 PM

There was a company that either made new trim pieces or offered them NOS. Very expensive, but perfect matches.
I recall when mine chipped the varnish was a yellow brown as well.
Out of the 4 wagons i had, the best was a silver Euro spec 1983. Glass hella euro lights, smaller bumpers, rear fog light, loved that car. Should have never sold it.
I ended up selling all 4 for more than i paid, so at least theres that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of the wagons are worth more than their owner..

Jun 9, 2018, 10:00 PM

paid for them.

Replies: 4
| visibility 327
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic