Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm here to take accountability!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

I'm here to take accountability!!!

Nov 25, 2018, 10:19 PM

I see there seems to be a lot of angry folks on the board, and someone asking me to take accountability and delete an article and bunch of nonsense. I've been so busy holding little Eli and trying to get the snuggles I missed from working all weekend that, quite frankly, I've missed most of it. But some of it has seeped through and before I go back and put him to bed, I will say this:

Back in 2011, a lot of Clemson fans were angry about another loss to South Carolina and not really focused on the pending ACC Championship against Virginia Tech. And Dabo Swinney went on the offensive is his now-legendary rant, and it took all the heat off his coaches, his players, and put it on a villain. People forgot about the loss to South Carolina and started talking about the rant, and Clemson went out and destroyed Virginia Tech. It worked to perfection.

Fast forward and he's had a few moments like this, where he deflects attention from one thing and puts it somewhere else and he can go in and get his team ready to play the next game. He's done it once again, and since he said this no one has really talked about Bentley throwing for 510 yards or the 600 yards given up by the defense....it's directed elsewhere. He's smart. He knows what he's doing, and of course, he isn't going anywhere.

As for the article, I heard a Clemson fan say that and I was simply stating I thought it was interesting that people see the program in this light, that when you don't play well and win people wonder about things. Heck, I wasn't the only one that wrote something similar, but he jumped all over that one. I work for TigerNet, but I do you and myself and the coaches and players a disservice if I am a "sunshine pumper." There are other websites for that...complete with clickbait and ignorance. My job is to set the stage for how some were feeling - go look at Facebook and Twitter during the 4th quarter last night and you'll see that many were angry - and to ignore that is me not doing my job.

I asked him the first question on the call tonight and asked him to recap what he saw on film from the game – and he answered me. Then went off on his mini-rant. He wasn’t asked about anything until later in the call when Eric Boynton asked him about it, to kind of double down on his comments. And he kinda went off again. It was epic. So for anyone to implicate I asked him about it or asked him about what the fans said is ludicrous and was stirred by another ignorant media person. Don’t believe me? Go listen to the call – the proof is there.

Best Is the Standard is on all the walls around here - and when that Best disappears it's ok to question why. And if his getting angry is a steppingstone to another ACC title and playoff berth and a chance at a title, I am all for it. If I have to play the villain, then I am ok with that, too. Dabo and I have a great relationship and this won't change that. Trust me on that. Hope you all have a great night - I have to go back and make sure this 8-week old terror gets his bottle and goes to bed on time. Being a new dad at my age is tough!

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm here to take accountability!!!

Nov 25, 2018, 10:21 PM

You shouldn't even have to explain yourself. You did nothing wrong.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 10:34 PM

Agreed. Where’s all the drama queens now? Here’s yalls chance to tell dhood he “isn’t a Clemson man” or to go away. Lol.

What’s funny is

Nov 25, 2018, 10:43 PM

the eSECpn “national media” reported on Dabo’s ire at Clemson fans and joking about going elsewhere not a word about the wussy coot fans crying about a late TD keeping them from losing by 14 like they wanted. I wonder why they would do that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 12:44 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm here to take accountability!!! ]

Ok, I don't think you can say what one offense will do against another teams defense off of one game. Clemson's safeties had a bad game for sure. I trust BV will fix that problem. He said he would and I have no reason not to trust him, do you?

Most Excellent!***

Nov 25, 2018, 10:24 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed you are a true Clemdon man***

Nov 25, 2018, 10:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Keep up the good work.***

Nov 25, 2018, 10:26 PM

Who came up with the "Scorched Earth" title?***

Nov 25, 2018, 10:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who came up with the "Scorched Earth" title?***

Nov 25, 2018, 10:29 PM

JHop

Well, heck.. It all makes sense now!!!***

Nov 25, 2018, 10:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 10:27 PM

Nothing like holding your child to put everything into perspective. One day, not soon, but one day you will get to sleep again. Better yet, one day you won't be going to Walmart to buy diapers.

I'm still not crazy about the titles

Nov 25, 2018, 10:30 PM

of both articles. I probably overreacted, so I'll apologize for any negative posts that I made.

I won’t be dropping my ®? any time soon..

Nov 25, 2018, 10:30 PM

But I do have interest in the ~600 yards given up by the defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with Carlsbad. You were a reporter, and a good one.

Dabo's rant was Dabo's rant, a thing independent of your job as a reporter. I thought yours was a great article.

In posts below I have taken issue with Dabo's comment that it might be time to be somewhere else. That was an indefensible comment, IMO, given the amount of money involved and the amount of support shown him. He over reacted to one comment. Like him, I believe God places His followers where he wants us: to believe that, and then say, "Well, if they don't like something, I'm leaving" (especially after the $500K monthly check clears the bank) is hardly a way of assessing where God has us, no? That comment should be retracted.

You took heat for your article, I'm sure I'll take heat for suggesting that Dabo took a couple of steps ahead of his faith in those comments.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does breast feeding hurt?***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank goodness Urban ain’t our coach...

Your reporting would have kilt him 3 months ago.

~JKB

Nov 25, 2018, 10:33 PM

You don't have to be sunshine pumper, but you also don't have to be a debbie downer! Just because you hear something you don't have to repeat it - or use it as an excuse.

Coming from an old Dad, job well done for a new Dad!

Nov 25, 2018, 10:33 PM

David, You have your priorities in place, you have gained justifiable respect for your writing skill sets and love of Clemson, and thank God you are not (always) a sunshine pumper!

Thanks for your professionalism, insider insights and the quality of your coverage. And best to you and your family, rightly your highest priority. And go Tigers!

I'm going to look for the silver lining here and it's this.

Nov 25, 2018, 10:34 PM

Perhaps this episode will remind the Clemson Family that we have something truly special here and not to take what we are accomplishing for granted. We should not get greedy nor should we feel entitled. We have a coach that is building a dynasty and as he says, "the best is yet to come". Those of us who lived through Danny's departure and wandered through the football desert for almost 25 years never want to relive what we experienced during those dark days. I went to the national championship game in Arizona but have never watched the replay because I don't want to lose the feeling of pride I had for our coaches, players and university when the game ended. Even though we lost the love for the football program was off the charts. I vowed that night that I never would become that fan where there was never any fun in winning and that undefeated seasons, national championships and titles every year was all that mattered and anything less would be a disappointment. I didn't want to be an Alabama fan. So if there is a silver lining tonight it's that this just might keep our fan base focused on what is truly special about Clemson Football under Dabo.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 10:35 PM

Great work David!

Nov 25, 2018, 10:37 PM

Good journalism ( imo ) is not always writing something good when things are great , but making sure all the bases are covered and maybe putting some vinegar on the cuts.
I won't accept your apology David , because you don't owe anybody one .
Our defense was terrible last night . Terrible . There's no sugarcoating it . Offense was superb , defense looked lost at times . Some credit goes to Bentley and his crew ... but that fan who said it felt like a loss might be off a bit with reality but is no less entitled to his feelings on what he'd witnessed , which of course is nothing more than near-meaningless opinion . Just an opinion .
You get a pass David , new parent-pass #1 .
Don't waste it ;)

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 26, 2018, 12:55 AM

Tigerdug ... you are right on message and no one can accuse you of not being a true "died in the wool" Tiger fan. Everyone I know respects your thoughts. I do not know why Dabo, whom I love dearly and have defended against my Coot acquaintances, can't understand or know the difference between a fan that is disappointed with the way our defense played and one who thinks our program has underachieved (of whom such person I have yet to meet .... but there may be one or two amongst us). Heck, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Dabo & BV are both disappointed in out defense Saturday night!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 10:39 PM

Happy with the W but nobody is happy with giving up 500 yards passing. Nothing wrong with us wanting best to be the standard like Dabo says. Our D has to play like in the 3rd quarter to win in the playoffs. We have played like that for weeks tho so ofcourse we can. Props to SC. Maybe they learned from the previous 2 years and our D just had some bust and some unlucky plays. Doubt we score like we did against SC against Bama's D so giving up 500 yards passing to Tua cannot and I would say it's a safe bet that it will not happen.

David, i am not a fan of your article

Nov 25, 2018, 10:42 PM

And appreciate your response although you do not owe me or anyone else here anything. Articles by journalist are just that, an opinion and nothing more.

My opinion is just that and I was critical. Mainly because Dabo has earned a little more respect. What this team and defense has done is incredible. One night, huge rivalry game, playing with reckless abandon and nothing to lose, is easier than being expected to win and dominate. Bentley had a career game, and Clemson played poor defensively which is unusual. But it’s 1 game out of 12, and the record is 12-0. All the team goals are ahead of them.

Maybe my criticism was overboard due to my deep respect for Dabo and Clemson.

Apologies to you David. I understand you are trying to do your job and bring all views/aspects to light. No matter my thoughts, it’s clear that some share this view and it’s truly sad. How happy will those fans be when Clemson does lose again ????????????

I’ll defend Dabo still, because he is doing things the right way, and if some fans “felt like Clemson lost” then that is his or her right. Go Tigers, let’s get that ACC Championship ????

Your work David is the #1 reason I am a paying member

Nov 25, 2018, 10:45 PM

Keep up the good work and please don't ever become a sunshine pumper.

Nov 25, 2018, 10:46 PM

Hey David, if Dabo is using this to change the conversation away from his preparation for the Pitt game, good for him. But after the Pitt beatdown could you use your great relationship with Dabo and get him to tell us how much he loves Clemson and would never consider leaving.

This would be more evidence of how smart you say he is.

GO TIGERS!!!

Appreciated!

Nov 25, 2018, 10:56 PM

I'm glad you take accountability. I think much of the heat you are getting is from those aware about how special Dabo is to Clemson and how LUCKY we are as fans.

Best is the Standard has never been about domination or perfection. It has always been about effort and preparation. People have bad days and K'Von didn't play to his capability. Denzel came in and kept USC jr scoreless in the 3rd quarter.

Clemson has issues in the slot, but NO ONE should feel like this is a loss because USCjr found a gimmick. We can fix this. Plenty of options to increase speed, but much of Saturday was technique and missed assignments -- all correctable!

While I am happy you take accountability, I ask that you avoid sensationalizing ridiculous "fans". From my experience, those who expect perfection are generally unsuccessful in life. I understand Dabo has spun this to his favor in his past, but he shouldn't have to. We as Clemson nation should be better than that. I don't expect "sunshine", but I do expect professionalism.

Keep up the good work man! You did nothing wrong!

Nov 26, 2018, 12:07 AM

You are one of the best covering Clemson athletics.

I'm a critic of your click bait from last night.

Nov 26, 2018, 12:25 AM

Do you deliver steak knives to p.o. boxes?

Now onto business as I quote you.

"go look at Facebook and Twitter during the 4th quarter last night and you'll see that many were angry - and to ignore that is me not doing my job." ~David Hood

David, seriously why would anyone take anything said on social media during a game at face value? Have you not heard the horror stories of coming to TNET during a game? Well I don't after making that mistake 4 years ago when I started a TNET account and there's a great reason why! This place is troll heaven and the sky is falling haven during the game.

But enough of that. Hey it's great you taking responsibilty.Because your last article sounded like you were just laying it at this phantom fan's feet and you were walking away. I don't have a problem with you questioning our blown coverage on defense. Or our dropped passes from a week ago. What I had and still do have a problem with is you as the head writer titled your article in such a demeaning way against these young men that YOU should know better than us. For that to come from you and you're in no way feeling apologetic is beyond words. You gave voice to a fan you thought you could get more clicks from rather than the positive articles. And you were right. Heck it'd be easier to take if you just said it's what pays the bills so sometimes I gotta rile the unriled up a bit.

Until next game. Peace! Go TIGERS!! U5uC!!

Re: I'm a critic of your click bait from last night.

Nov 26, 2018, 12:31 AM

Dabo is a genius...
Go read the whole “rant”...

It’s a list of all Clemson’s accomplishments ... and that list is being widely published...

Brilliant...

And as David pointed out Dabo also redirected attention in a way that should positively impact the way Clemson finishes the season...

Dabo didn’t build the program to where it is today being dumb or irrational...

What’s all this hullabaloo?

Nov 26, 2018, 12:27 AM

What’s the big deal if some fans get nervous and fret over a surprisingly poor performance on defense?
That’s what fans do?
There have been some foolish remarks around but by far most have been fair opinions....unprofessional opinions but still.
Oversensitivity
I like my football with a little salt.
I don’t see any reason why a general flawed discussion implies any lack of love for our team, coaches, culture or anything Clemson
What’s the big deal?

Message was edited by: oghost®

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Good article, some can't handle truthw/negativity...

Nov 26, 2018, 12:55 AM

You can explain it the them, but you cannot understand it for them. Their ignorance will not allow it.

Nov 26, 2018, 1:50 AM

David you never have been a good reporter but no need to apologize here. Dabo should apologize for his threat. Man up Dabo!

Nov 26, 2018, 1:50 AM

David you never have been a good reporter but no need to apologize here. Dabo should apologize for his threat. Man up Dabo!

Nov 26, 2018, 4:32 AM

I’ve always thought you have given us the fairest reporting of Clemson athletics, so much so I trusted you with a source affirming TL to Clemson before he committed.

But this article was out of bounds. Giving voice to such emotionally unintelligent opinion that obviously struck a nerve with Dabo is a strike against you. You’ve reported before (many times) when Dabo has said “I’ll never say never to another opportunity...there may come a time when the fan base won’t have me.” You gave a voice to the fringe lunacy in our fan base that cant comprehend what’s happening in our program because all they can see is our defense (top 5 all year BTW) had ONE bad game. Those voices don’t deserve an audience, at least not on Clemson’s largest internet message board and reported on by Clemson’s most trusted reporter.

To backtrack and compare tonight to 2011’s rant is an errant attempt to save face. It read like a spin room tactic to try to turn it into a positive when reality is, you never should have written it. If the fringe voices of lunacy ever give Dabo reason to think “we won’t have him,” then as much as I would hate it...I would agree that he needs to look elsewhere. We don’t deserve him if “winning feels like losing” when we are 12-0 headed to the 4th playoff in 4 years. It doesn’t take a sunshine pumper to realize the significance of that.

this is best summary of fanbase***

Nov 26, 2018, 8:43 AM

The power of the headline

Nov 26, 2018, 6:14 AM

Since the power is in the headline, and reading through both TigerNet and others, those headlines seem to be focused on the defense not the accomplishment.

It wasn't "5 in a row"
Or "12-0 for the third time"
Or "The most wins for a class ever"

They were:
"A win feels like a loss"
"Venebles disgusted and embarrassed"
"Offense rules the day"

And the lack of recognition of the accomplishment is the nerve. And it's reasonable that if great accomplishments begin to be overlooked as people look for perfection in every aspect of the game, it will wear thin. That's the villain.

Dabo's program has a celebrate first, then go back to work culture. Dabo didn't call out the defense and say it felt like a loss. No, the team celebrated and danced.

Where was the TigerNet celebration or at least an article that really celebrated 5 in a row?
Nikki's Instant Analysis introduction appears to be it.
The video wrap wasn't.
The other headlines weren't.

And you can argue that you're a journalist, so it's not your job to celebrate. You're calling out what you saw. But then you would logically drop the personal write-ups with the emotion of watching the program grow and achieve. Because that emotion is part of what makes reading your stuff genuine and interesting.

You, David Hood, have tremendous power to shape the culture of the fan base. Outside of the program, who has more influence? Not many people.

As you hold your baby in the middle of the night, ask yourself - What culture will TigerNet help build around Clemson and Dabo? Should Tigernet have articles that celebrate accomplishments along the way?

Nov 26, 2018, 6:17 AM

I suggest you not get inspiration for stories from Facebook and Twitter unless you are 20 something years old and I guess that is the norm. SMH

Nov 26, 2018, 8:38 AM

So, you heard "a" Clemson fan say that our win felt like a loss, and then based your article on this statement. If this is true then you are not the journalist I thought you were. If you were that journalist you would know that anonymous quotes from a source unknown to you are the bane of good journalism.

Accountability and admitting a mistake are two different things. Perhaps you need to look a little deeper within yourself and decide if a mea culpa is due to Clemson fans, your employer, recruits, and most importantly to Dabo.

An interview with Dabo with you bachtracking what you wrote giving Dabo a chance to backtrack what he said will go a long way towards difusing this situation.

If you want to quote me the shoot me a Tmail and I'll tell you more about my background. For the rest of you Tnetters, I've been a Clemson fan for 49 years, a graduate for 43 years, and an IPTAY donor and season ticket holder for 42 years. I have 3 Clemson graduate children.

"I heard a clemson fan say that"

Nov 26, 2018, 8:44 AM

you're on this board as much as I am, you know 90% of people here arnt fans.

a fan is a "sunshine pumper"

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Sorry David,

Nov 26, 2018, 8:44 AM

But what was the point of writing that article? Your defense is that you thought it was an interesting point of view. Is it indicative of our fan base?

I don’t think so. It’s not indicative of what students here think, nor my extensive Clemson family. This fan base is spoiled, and Dabo is right. This article, and this point of view, are sad.

It sounds like you heard something and thought of a clickbait headline. It worked, so congrats.

I don’t see where you took accountability. I see where you made me feel a bit guilty for feeling this way because of your son.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 9:17 AM

Honestly, this can all be chalked up as a difference in perspective.

When fans see a faulty performance by one unit of the team, they see longterm, ie Alabama, Oklahoma, ND, whoever it is that we will be playing in the playoffs. We have the luxury of a bird's-eye view that doesn't have to worry about coaching and getting guys ready for one game, week-in, week-out. That's why it's so easy to watch that performance and think, "dang Alabama would score 80 on this secondary if we play this way."

Dabo and Co. does an excellent job of focusing on the task at hand, the ONE game, ONE team that we have to worry about that individual Saturday. It's hard enough to win D1 football games, much less 12 straight in one season. The staff does not have the time or luxury to be thinking about Alabama or the playoffs just yet like the fans do as we have to prepare for Pitt.

I think that's part of Dabo's frustration. There's such an emphasis (and rightly so!) on "the next game is the biggest game" and so much effort is put into winning that one game as it is its on individual season. From that perspective, it's easy to see why being "lugubrious" over a 21 pt win over your rival for the 5th straight time is frustrating to the staff.

Admittedly, I've been one of those "lugubrious" fans, but hey, 12-0, state champs, and still controlling the destiny. Let's just work out the kinks.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic