Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
why riots haven't happened in the South
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 594

why riots haven't happened in the South

Apr 29, 2015, 8:28 AM

this has Joungeworthy topic written all over it.....and yes, Fletcher Smith is a black man if you were wondering.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/activist-good-reasons-why-reaction-riots-havent-happened-here/32623214

Activist: Good reasons why reaction riots haven’t happened here
Fletcher Smith says the South reacts differently

Published 5:26 PM EDT Apr 28, 2015

GREENVILLE, S.C. —As the unrest continues in Baltimore on the heels of similar outbreaks in Ferguson, Missouri and elsewhere, some have questioned why things have played out so differently in South Carolina.

In July, the death of Eric Garner in Staten Island, New York led to riots, with more violence following a grand jury’s decision not to indict the officers involved.

In August, Michael Brown was shot and killed by officers in Ferguson, and riots soon followed.

In Baltimore, unrest and violence filled the streets Monday after the death of Freddie Gray during an arrest.

South Carolina has recently seen some similarly controversial cases, but with vastly different outcomes.

Tario Anderson was shocked with Tasers by officers who said they did not know he was autistic and who thought he might have been involved in a shooting. The incident was followed by quiet protests, news conferences and dialogue between the community and Greenville police, but no violence.

A few weeks ago, Walter Scott was shot and killed by a North Charleston police officer. That officer was arrested and charged with murder after video surfaced of the shooting. Protestors took to the streets, but there was no violence.

Greenville attorney and civil rights activist Fletcher Smith says he believe there are three main reasons why the violent protests that have filled the streets of other cities have not happened here.

"First of all, I think the response of the mayor and the police chief in North Charleston was dead on the money,” he said. “They responded quickly, and they got all the facts out to the public, along with the video."

Smith also says the black community in the South is built around one thing: the church.

"I think the church is the primary vehicle for making sure we have legitimate protests here in the South,” Smith said. “And we have hope, because we are God-fearing people."

"We are a new South now. We are not the same old South that we were in the ‘50s. But in the North, those same communities that rioted in the ‘60s still have the poverty. Nothing has changed. Economic development has left. The industry has left those areas, so those people are sitting there as a powder keg with nothing to do.”

Smith also points out what he sees as a big difference in culture.

"In the South, we do have a village,” he said. “In the North, they have, what I would consider, an urban environment that is in chaos. People are cold toward each other. They hardly ever speak. They are not polite. They don't say, ‘Yes ma'am' and 'No ma'am.’ I mean, we were taught that in the South, so there is a respect for authority."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think once you quit hearing "sir" and "ma'am" the rest is

Apr 29, 2015, 8:38 AM

soon to foller.

that is a lovely sentiment

Apr 29, 2015, 9:19 AM

but the church, the family and the civility is quickly leaving the south too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because all the dayum yankees keep moving here.

Apr 29, 2015, 12:39 PM

Did I do that right?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

nailed it

Apr 29, 2015, 1:20 PM

regardless, the REAL fight is between us and those dirty non-undershirt wearin' scum of the earth, amirite?

Yep***

May 1, 2015, 12:52 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

The real reason.......

Apr 29, 2015, 9:30 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baltimore's the 'North'??

Apr 29, 2015, 9:38 AM

so much typical BS 'perception' in that last bit

Only from yankee's perspective***

Apr 29, 2015, 9:55 AM

John Wilkes Booth was from Maryland.

Apr 29, 2015, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Baltimore's the 'North'?? ]

And the first casualties in the American Civil War occurred during riots in Baltimore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_riot_of_1861

White people rioting in Baltimore! What madness!

If you want to draw a definitive line...

but that doesn't suit the argument....***

Apr 29, 2015, 10:05 AM

Anything north of Gaffney is yankee.***

Apr 29, 2015, 10:53 AM

The Mason-Dixon line is not relevant to a discussion of

Apr 29, 2015, 11:20 AM [ in reply to John Wilkes Booth was from Maryland. ]

"cultural" North and "cultural" South in 2015. Baltimore is in no way a culturally southern culture.

I'm not saying I agree with the article from the original post, but it is worthless to roll out the M-D line in this discussion. The mythical "Sweet Tea" line in Virginia is more relevant.

null

Re: The Mason-Dixon line is not relevant to a discussion of

Apr 29, 2015, 11:23 AM

I am wondering if he is referring more to the bible belt(that is clearly in the south) versus any mythical mason Dixon line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got a sweet tea in Los Angeles last week,

Apr 29, 2015, 11:23 AM [ in reply to The Mason-Dixon line is not relevant to a discussion of ]

and Seattle the week before that. The spread of Chickfila and McD's implementing nationwide sweet tea has helped spread the nectar of the south. That line is no longer relevant either.

Then what can I believe in now? ******

Apr 29, 2015, 11:25 AM

null

Boogers. We will always have boogers.***

Apr 29, 2015, 11:25 AM

You'll know a yankee when you see/hear one.

Apr 29, 2015, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Then what can I believe in now? ****** ]

No need to draw a line. (except at Gaffney)

are you fat?

Apr 29, 2015, 11:33 AM [ in reply to I got a sweet tea in Los Angeles last week, ]

because, well...

Fat pot meat fat kettle.

Apr 29, 2015, 2:11 PM

I'm the pot.

shhhhhh

Apr 29, 2015, 2:25 PM

you had me at 'pot meat'

I was in Dallas in '99 and asked for sweet tea at some BBQ

Apr 29, 2015, 1:15 PM [ in reply to I got a sweet tea in Los Angeles last week, ]

place I went to. Waitress looked at me like I was crazy.

Even during the Civil War the line was blurry.

Apr 29, 2015, 11:49 AM [ in reply to The Mason-Dixon line is not relevant to a discussion of ]

If you read about those 1861 riots in Baltimore you'll see what I mean. And no, I don't take the Mason Dixon line very seriously.

The fact that anyone would try to pass off ownership of the 2015 riots in Baltimore onto this group or that group is pretty shallow and transparent and stupid. And pretty typical, I guess.

Re: Baltimore's the 'North'??

Apr 29, 2015, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Baltimore's the 'North'?? ]

have you even been to baltimore?, it aint no different than camden or philly.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somehow I doubt you've been to Camden.***

Apr 29, 2015, 10:42 AM

Re: Somehow I doubt you've been to Camden.***

Apr 29, 2015, 10:48 AM

grew up in cherry hill, took summer classes at Rutgers Camden.

But you know everything.

And you would equate Camden with Philly?

Apr 29, 2015, 10:59 AM

That's like saying Jersey City's the same as Manhattan because they're across the river from each other.

Re: And you would equate Camden with Philly?

Apr 29, 2015, 11:01 AM

north west philly, sure.

do you have a point, or are you just trying to belittle me?

My point is Baltimore =/= Camden or Philly.

Apr 29, 2015, 11:15 AM

And while we're at it, Camden =/= Philly.

Even if they were somehow the same thing, that wouldn't mean Baltimore is in the north. That's like saying Baltimore is just like Atlanta and therefore it's in the South.

Re: My point is Baltimore =/= Camden or Philly.

Apr 29, 2015, 11:23 AM

I guess it is hard to see the similarities between Baltimore and Camden from your ivory tower.

but if you like, you can still be the expert on the north east.

Get outta here. I grew up in Marlton. ******

Apr 29, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Somehow I doubt you've been to Camden.*** ]

null

Some people would argue St. Louis isn't the north either

Apr 29, 2015, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Baltimore's the 'North'?? ]

But I don't think it's wrong to point out cultural differences between the south and the north. Probably the biggest one is that people in the south care about being culturally different. That might be why a lot of what's said about regional cultural differences is from biased southerners, who focus more on the positive southern difference. Northerners, of course, like to focus on the negative southern differences while thinking of themselves more as the standard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

your last sentence is where I find the difference

Apr 29, 2015, 1:19 PM

maybe it is/was just me, but I wasn't aware of any 'northern focus on ANY southern anything' prior to coming to Clemson. "My" feelings towards the South/Southerners were pointed out & explained to me once I got here.

Like I said, I can only speak for myself

Of course, generalizations don't apply to everybody

Apr 29, 2015, 2:07 PM

I just remember a friend talking about a girl from Jersey she knew who was asking her whether everybody at Clemson was super southern. She thought that southern girls were all stupid and had ridiculous accents, and she wasn't aware of the southern stereotypes of northerners. When my friend told her that southerner stereotyped northerners as trashy, cold, and impolite, she got offended.

There may be just as many people like that in the south, I suppose, but southerners also like to feel like they're a little different.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when I moved up North

Apr 29, 2015, 2:30 PM

everybody just wanted to hear me talk. They would want me read the menu out loud and stuff like that just to hear my accent.

Conversely, I hated listening to them speak. When a good-looking woman opens her mouth and a bunch of nasal, 2 notches too loud, too-fast-to-comprehend words come out, the hotness rating drops 5 points instantaneously.

This.

Apr 29, 2015, 4:59 PM

Bu they swear they have no accent.

The only people I ever found

Apr 29, 2015, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Baltimore's the 'North'?? ]

Who didn't think Maryland was Northern were Marylanders desperately wanting to be a part of the Southern club.

I lived in Maryland. There is nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, Southern about that place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: The only people I ever found

May 1, 2015, 12:59 PM

Same experience here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ima gonna have to agree with you.

May 2, 2015, 11:26 AM [ in reply to The only people I ever found ]

The only similarities would be the pockets of white trash in Dundalk and East Baltimore that would make residents of of the Columbia outskirts look classy.

I somewhat enjoy living here. I like eating blue crabs and having a Natty Boh, and I love going to Os games, especially now they don't suck like the Tigers at the end of the West era. People in my neighborhood are fairly friendly, especially the older life long residents, but you have to work to get to know them. People here will proudly proclaim their southerners and point to the Mason-Dixon Line, and get really pissed when I point out there is no way in hell this city is the South, and even more annoyed when I point out I grew up in SC and know what I'm talking about.

The hell with geography, Maryland is just kind of there. Not northern enough to be Yankee, but too coarse and unrefined to be Southern. Maybe that explains some of the issues going on here. No identity except self loathing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's kinda what I meant w/ the "Balt's the NORTH?" post

May 5, 2015, 4:00 PM

it's like....neither. I dunno, like some regional purgatory

that 'coarse and unrefined' comment doe...#LOLJustLOL

it's in between....

May 6, 2015, 12:18 PM [ in reply to The only people I ever found ]

so they have parts of both North and South. And also it probably depends on which part of Maryland your in. Maryland cuisine leans Southern.

Yes. My yankee wife was born in Baltimore.***

May 5, 2015, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Baltimore's the 'North'?? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not much left to destroy?

Apr 29, 2015, 10:50 AM

You would have to drive a fair bit just to find a half occupied strip mall to loot and burn. Just not worth the effort.

Re: Not much left to destroy?

May 5, 2015, 3:27 PM

> You would have to drive a fair bit just to find a
> half occupied strip mall to loot and burn. Just not
> worth the effort.

That's it. And where we do have "stuff" (crowded areas with things to break and enough people to break them), we riot just as much and anyone else. See: Atlanta, Birmingham, Miami, Tampa, etc etc

In other areas, like the poorest and most welfare-dependent place in the country (mostly white, rural, "conservative" Owsley County, KY), stuff's already wrecked. What looks like scrapyard material that the Hulk scattered around various "hollers" are their homes.

Nobody cares to hear about their plight, and there's nothing of value to destroy so they can make us listen. So they mostly spend their time making meth and laundering food stamp money in a rather interesting canned-soda racket.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/367903/white-ghetto-kevin-d-williamson

Re: Not much left to destroy?

May 5, 2015, 5:04 PM

Oh wait- there was a riot here in the South today.

AP- Cleetus P. Jefferson, enraged that his medicaid wouldn't allow a refill on his oxy, rioted.

As he makes up a third of the population of his holler, the governor of Alabama declared a state of emergency for Poopalot County.

Damages are estimated to be in the tens of cents.

In a post riot interview with Mr. Jefferson, he said, "It's about justice."

If you were ever trapped in Freaknik traffic you would

May 1, 2015, 2:52 PM

consider that a riot.

The south is much more integrated.

May 5, 2015, 4:05 PM

True story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seemingly twice as much so***

May 5, 2015, 4:09 PM

Uh, the obvious because the officers involved in...

May 6, 2015, 12:14 PM

these incidents were arrested and charged quickly.

One thing he got wrong, The Church is just as important...

May 6, 2015, 12:17 PM

to black people outside of the South, as it is to black people in the South. Compton in South Central Los Angeles has the highest density of churches in the USA.

Replies: 49
| visibility 594
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic