Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any of you old-timers remember when...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Any of you old-timers remember when...

May 31, 2013, 9:11 AM

...teams like Georgia, Tennessee and Florida State would waltz into South Carolina when it pleased them, and walk away with the top players?

I gotta say, I like this a whole lot better.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any of you old-timers remember when...

May 31, 2013, 9:13 AM

Yeah, I remember Tennessee building their program using SC talent. They used to get all of our state's best players. I'm with you....I like this a lot better too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, that was my bad rev...

May 31, 2013, 9:13 AM

i was too busy protecting our wimminz.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2013, 9:17 AM

vividly. It was a period of time bracketed around Coach Ford's tenure. Georgia and Tennessee in particular benefitted from frequent "recruiting raids" into SC.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2013, 9:24 AM

I remember, and the one who comes to mind was Stanley Morgan....UT....and executed the hide out play in Knoxville when we went up and lost 29-28....also Pat Roderique and Steve Greer to Georgia....what turned the tide a little was Steve Fuller was down to UT and Clemson and went with us...

I also remember Dan Marino turning us down in favor of Pitt

May 31, 2013, 9:26 AM

And then waxing our ### in the Gator Bowl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Matt Cavanaugh did the waxing...

May 31, 2013, 10:19 AM

Cavanaugh was also named MVP of the 1977 Gator Bowl, throwing four touchdown passes in a 34–3 win over Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Matt Cavanaugh did the waxing...

May 31, 2013, 10:21 AM

I sat through that one....chilling.

May 31, 2013, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Matt Cavanaugh did the waxing... ]

Thanks for the correction. Marino showed up at Pitt in 1979. That year they lost 1 game - to UNC. The next year they also lost 1 game - this time to FSU. The next year they only lost 1 game - to Penn St. They also waxed USUC 42-28 that year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jun 3, 2013, 1:18 AM

If I recall, it was that Penn St victory that moved Clemson to number 1 in the polls and set up the National Championship game against Nebraska. I was only in 5th grade at the time but I can still remember that Penn St receiver hauling in the winning pass as he slid out the back of the end zone to win it.

I think Tennessee built its program at our expense in

May 31, 2013, 9:24 AM

the 90's and 2000's. They do not have the best of recruits to take from their own state.I even remember Corso saying something like because Tennessee was rising (in the early and mid 90's) then watch for the decline of Clemson. It was true to words. Glad things have been re-ordered,

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AThomas is right.....

May 31, 2013, 9:29 AM

we're locking them down now. And most of Ga's and the Fla boys we want. It will pay copious dividends.....

Re: I think Tennessee built its program at our expense in

May 31, 2013, 9:39 AM [ in reply to I think Tennessee built its program at our expense in ]

I've never understood why the state of Tenn doesnt produce more good players. It is a fairly large population base but you always hear they have to go out of state

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2013, 9:33 AM

Stanley Morgan was the WORST for me. He played QB at Easley HS and went to UT. He actually caught the pass to win the game against us later. He played WR for them and later played NFL (heck - everyone knows who he is). But that player was a dagger to the heart. He grew up in our back yard for goodness sake.

YES - revenge is so sweet.

And it was widely acknowledged

May 31, 2013, 11:56 AM

the reason Stanley didn't go to Clemson was because of his grades.....of course, that was no impediment to an SEC school.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fulmer and Bobby Bowden in particular sold recruits on

May 31, 2013, 10:00 AM

their schools a lot better than we sold ours, and Hatfield, West, and even TB for the most part, had no answer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Fulmer and Bobby Bowden in particular sold recruits on

May 31, 2013, 10:17 AM

When you say "sold"....do you mean...??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That was part of it, without a doubt.***

May 31, 2013, 10:24 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

May 31, 2013, 10:46 AM

When I think of Florida State waltzing into South Carolina I think of a 7-1 #15 ranked Gamecocks hosting #5 FSU in a major night game (back when that really meant something) and walking away debased at home 59-0 by the Seminoles.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YEp I do...but it comes down to the recruiter & having goods

May 31, 2013, 12:12 PM

to sell...and Clemson is now a hot sale due to some solid success..such as: Dabo & sound coaching staff...great & loyal fans (still)..big-time stadium..better group of players..national TV exposure..past history..NFL success with our better players..money still streaming in to make improvements..IPTAY...etc.

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hey rev, who are you callin old?!

May 31, 2013, 12:25 PM

;)

Oh those "good ole days"...

May 31, 2013, 3:14 PM

Glad they are GONE!!

It's OUR TURN!!!

Go Tigers!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1