Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any of you guys ever had to get rid of a dog?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Any of you guys ever had to get rid of a dog?

Jul 27, 2012, 12:08 AM

I raised my Chesapeake Retrieve Jake from a puppy. I'm having to move to the city for jobs and such, and this is not the type of dog that does well in an apartment.

I found someone to adopt him...but seeing as how I've had him for almost 2 years...this is tough..

Anyone else had to do this before? Any words of advice?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any of you guys ever had to get rid of a dog?

Jul 27, 2012, 12:21 AM

just kidding , good luck

Why?

Jul 27, 2012, 8:54 AM

I have a boxer and live in an apartment. Surely your dog doesn't have more energy. You just need to be disciplined about taking him to the park a few times a week and they will be very happy living in an apartment.

^ This***

Jul 27, 2012, 9:23 AM

Re: Why?

Jul 27, 2012, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Why? ]

Yes sir, if you want a high energy pet, just get a Boxer. I loved one till death for 13 years. And they are very smart dogs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes...u will regret it..I have had my choc lab

Jul 27, 2012, 12:22 AM

and golden for 8.5 years...tough sometimes but u make the correct chocies...don't get rid of him....go to www.care.com I hired a dog walker for 50.00 a week to walk them at noon or 1 until i got home....always a way to keep them.....life will change...may not always be in an apt...he just wants to be near you....maybe even get a cat to keep him company.

Re: Yes...u will regret it..I have had my choc lab

Jul 27, 2012, 12:25 AM

I can see where that could work...but this isn't the kind of dog you walk for exercise. He needs to be either on a farm, or doing a hardcore retriever regimen to stay in shape/keep his temperament.

It's tough. Even if I regret it, I know he'll be in a better home than I can provide at this point. As a 24 year old...I'm just too busy. It sucks, but it's the reality.

Thanks for the advice though, man. I appreciate all points of view.

Re: Yes...u will regret it..I have had my choc lab

Jul 27, 2012, 7:15 AM

I was going to also suggest making time for your dog. Using evenings and weekends to do what you used to do, but it sounds like you really already hav eyour mind made up.

Don't fool yourself about going back to see him. find a good home and don't torture yourself.

P.S. ..you are going to have some days that just

Jul 27, 2012, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Yes...u will regret it..I have had my choc lab ]

plain suck at work...there is NOTHING BETTER than having the dog/dogs greet you when you get home....DOG backwards is GOD...MANS best friend...do not trade him in man unless you think he will have a better life with the adoption people...if they have dogs or he will get more attention. I know me I could not give mine up for anything...they are my best friends...wish u the best.

Re: P.S. ..you are going to have some days that just

Jul 27, 2012, 12:30 AM

That's just the thing. The guy who wants to adopt him has a lab the same age...he'd have a friend to play with all day, every dya.

The owner is also part of CBR Rescue, which is a good organization.

I would love nothing more than to have him greet me when I come home...but I honestly think that he can live a better life elsewhere.

This hasn't been a easy decision. It's been the hardest I've ever had to make.

mmmhhhhh......it may be for the best....it will suck for

Jul 27, 2012, 12:33 AM

awhile because u will miss him. I always thought man if something happened to me they would be like wow he left us wth? That would kill me more i think...like i let them down....pray about it man....maybe there is something else u have not thought about.....family keeping him for awhile til u get it together with job...make ur schedule....or maybe just let him go there on weekends to get used to the other dog and owner...then it may be easier knowing he is happy....suxxxxxxx

U know what is odd? I was out in Salem SC today at a

Jul 27, 2012, 12:36 AM

gas station and i took a photo with my phone of a white lab named Jake some guy was trying to sell for 100.00 that was 2 years old.....

it was a flyer on the posting board..***

Jul 27, 2012, 12:42 AM

strange uh??

Jul 27, 2012, 12:47 AM
IMG_0111.jpg(177.7 K)

go tigers

It's going to suck for sure...

Jul 27, 2012, 12:37 AM [ in reply to mmmhhhhh......it may be for the best....it will suck for ]

I actually got a little teary eyed while petting him today. I know that he's going to be happy. I think it would be selfish to leave him in the cage all day while I'm at work just for the sake of keeping him..

I hope I'm doing the right thing.

he will not mess up anything if u let him roam

Jul 27, 2012, 12:42 AM

around. I made that mistake with mine....now they just find a nice spot on my bed, the couch or wait at front door for me. I take them down to Lake Hartwell pretty much every weekend.

Re: P.S. ..you are going to have some days that just

Jul 27, 2012, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: P.S. ..you are going to have some days that just ]

Just make sure you don't decide to get another dog for the sake of having a dog. My six year old Rott is a part of my family. My wife and I don't go any where that isn't suited for him also. We knew when we brought him in our family six years ago that we would have limits to where we could take him. But the love we receive and give to him is worth more than any place we didn't go b/c of him. Each to their own but, dogs aren't throw away's. I do give you respect for finding yours a home. A lot of people just leave them behind. Those people would do the same with their kids if they could get away with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2012, 12:36 AM

Do what's best for the both of you. If it's keeping him then do it, but if not, make sure he doesn't go to a good home, make sure it's the best home!

To Whomever Gets My Dog

They told me the big black Lab's name was Reggie as I looked at him lying in his pen.  the shelter was clean, and the people really friendly.

I'd only been in the area for six months, but everywhere I went in the small college town, people were welcoming and open.  Everyone waves when you pass them on the street.

But something was still missing as I attempted to settle in to my new life here, and I thought a dog couldn't hurt.  Give me someone to talk to.

And I had just seen Reggie's advertisement on the local news.  The shelter said they had received numerous calls right after, but they said the people who had come down to see him just didn't look like "Lab people," whatever that meant.  They must've thought I did.

But at first, I thought the shelter had misjudged me in giving me Reggie and his things, which consisted of a dog pad, bag of toys almost all of which were brand new tennis balls, his dishes, and a sealed letter from his previous owner.  See, Reggie and I didn't really hit it off when we got home.  We struggled for two weeks (which is how long the shelter told me to give him to adjust to his new home).  Maybe it was the fact that I was trying to adjust, too.  Maybe we were too much alike.

For some reason, his stuff (except for the tennis balls - he wouldn't go anywhere without two stuffed in his mouth) got tossed in with all of my other unpacked boxes.  I guess I didn't really think he'd need all his old stuff, that I'd get him new things once he settled in.  but it became pretty clear pretty soon that he wasn't going to.

I tried the normal commands the shelter told me he knew, ones like "sit" and "stay" and "come" and "heel," and he'd follow them - when he felt like it.  He never really seemed to listen when I called his name - sure, he'd look in my direction after the fourth of fifth time I said it, but then he'd just go back to doing whatever.  When I'd ask again, you could almost see him sigh and then grudgingly obey.

This just wasn't going to work.  He chewed a couple shoes and some unpacked boxes.  I was a little too stern with him and he resented it, I could tell.

The friction got so bad that I couldn't wait for the two weeks to be up, and when it was, I was in full-on search mode for my cellphone amid all of my unpacked stuff.  I remembered leaving it on the stack of boxes for the guest room, but I also mumbled, rather cynically, that the "#### dog probably hid it on me."

Finally I found it, but before I could punch up the shelter's number, I also found his pad and other toys from the shelter..  I tossed the pad in Reggie's direction and he snuffed it and wagged, some of the most enthusiasm I'd seen since bringing him home.  But then I called, "Hey, Reggie, you like that Come here and I'll give you a treat."  Instead, he sort of glanced in my direction - maybe "glared" is more accurate - and then gave a discontented sigh and flopped down.  With his back to me.

Well, that's not going to do it either, I thought.  And I punched the shelter phone number.

But I hung up when I saw the sealed envelope.  I had completely forgotten about that, too. 

"Okay, Reggie,"  I said out loud, "let's see if your previous owner has any advice.".... .....

"To Whoever Gets My Dog:

Well, I can't say that I'm happy you're reading this, a letter I told the shelter could only be opened by Reggie's new owner.

I'm not even happy writing it.  If you're reading this, it means I just got back from my last car ride with my Lab after dropping him off at the shelter.  He knew something was different.  I have packed up his pad and toys before and set them by the back door before a trip, but this time...  it's like he knew something was wrong.  And something is wrong...  which is why I have to go to try to make it right.

So let me tell you about my Lab in the hopes that it will help you bond with him and he with you.

First, he loves tennis balls...  the more the merrier. 

Sometimes I think he's part squirrel, the way he hordes them. 

He usually always has two in his mouth, and he tries to get a third in there.  Hasn't done it yet. 

Doesn't matter where you throw them, he'll bound after it, so be careful - really don't do it by any roads.  I made that mistake once, and it almost cost him dearly.

Next, commands.  Maybe the shelter staff already told you, but I'll go over them again:  Reggie knows the obvious ones - "sit," "stay," "come,"  "heel."  He knows hand signals:

"back" to turn around and go back when you put your hand straight up; and "over" if you put your hand out right or left.  "Shake" for shaking water off, and "paw" for a high-five.  He does "down" when he feels like lying down - I bet you could work on that with him some more.  He knows "ball" and "food" and "bone"  and "treat" like nobody's business.

I trained Reggie with small food treats. 
Nothing opens his ears like little pieces of hot dog.

Feeding schedule:  twice a day, once about seven in the morning, and again at six in the evening. 

Regular store-bought stuff; the shelter has the brand.

He's up on his shots.

Call the clinic on 9th Street and update his info with yours; they'll make sure to send you reminders for when he's due.  Be forewarned:  Reggie hates the vet. 

Good luck getting him in the car - I don't know how he knows when it's time to go to the vet, but he knows.

Finally, give him some time.

I've never been married, so it's only been Reggie and me for his whole life.  He's gone everywhere with me, so please include him on your daily car rides if you can.  He sits well in the backseat, and he doesn't bark or complain.  He just loves to be around people, and me most especially.

Which means that this transition is going to be hard, with him going to live with someone new. And that's why I need to share one more bit of info with you....

His name's not Reggie.

I don't know what made me do it, but when I dropped him off at the shelter, I told them his name was Reggie.  He's a smart dog, he'll get used to it and will respond to it, of that I have no doubt.  but I just couldn't bear to give them his real name.  For me to do that, it seemed so final, that handing him over to the shelter was as good as me admitting that I'd never see him again.  And if I end up coming back, getting him, and tearing up this letter, it means everything's fine.  But if someone else is reading it, well...  well it means that his new owner should know his real name.  It'll help you bond with him.  Who knows, maybe you'll even notice a change in his demeanor if he's been giving you problems.

His real name is Tank.  Because that is what I drive.

Again, if you're reading this and you're from the area, maybe my name has been on the news.  I told the shelter that they couldn't make "Reggie" available for adoption until they received word from my company commander.  See, my parents are gone, I have no siblings, no one I could've left Tank with...  and it was my only real request of the Army upon my deployment to Iraq, that they make one phone call the shelter...  in the "event"...  to tell them that Tank could be put up for adoption.  Luckily, my colonel is a dog guy, too, and he knew where my platoon was headed.  He said he'd do it personally.  And if you're reading this, then he made good on his word.

Well, this letter is getting to downright depressing, even though, frankly, I'm just writing it for my dog.  I couldn't imagine if I was writing it for a wife and kids and family.  but still, Tank has been my family for the last six years, almost as long as the Army has been my family.

And now I hope and pray that you make him part of your family and that he will adjust and come to love you the same way he loved me.

That unconditional love from a dog is what I took with me to Iraq as an inspiration to do something selfless, to protect innocent people from those who would do terrible things...  and to keep those terrible people from coming over here.  If I had to give up Tank in order to do it, I am glad to have done so.  He was my example of service and of love.  I hope I honored him by my service to my country and comrades.

All right, that's enough.

I deploy this evening and have to drop this letter off at the shelter. 

I don't think I'll say another good-bye to Tank, though.  I cried too much the first time.  Maybe I'll peek in on him and see if he finally got that third tennis ball in his mouth.

Good luck with Tank. 

Give him a good home, and give him an extra kiss goodnight - every night - from me."

Thank you, Paul Mallory 

I folded the letter and slipped it back in the envelope.  Sure I had heard of Paul Mallory, everyone in town knew him, even new people like me.  Local kid, killed in Iraq a few months ago and posthumously earning the Silver Star when he gave his life to save three buddies.  Flags had been at half-mast all summer.

I leaned forward in my chair and rested my elbows on my knees, staring at the dog.

"Hey, Tank," I said quietly.

The dog's head whipped up, his ears cocked and his eyes bright.  "C'mere boy."

He was instantly on his feet, his nails clicking on the hardwood floor.  He sat in front of me, his head tilted, searching for the name he hadn't heard in months.

"Tank," I whispered.  His tail swished.

I kept whispering his name, over and over, and each time, his ears lowered, his eyes softened, and his posture relaxed as a wave of contentment just seemed to flood him.  I stroked his ears, rubbed his shoulders, buried my face into his scruff and hugged him.

"It's me now, Tank, just you and me. Your old pal gave you to me."  Tank reached up and licked my cheek.  "So whatdaya say we play some ball His ears perked again.

"Yeah Ball You like that Ball " 

Tank tore from my hands and disappeared in the next room. And when he came back......he had three tennis balls in his mouth.

Jul 27, 2012, 8:33 AM

Awesome story. Unfortunately it is not true but doesnt change the meaning behind it. Many of our service men and women fighting overseas have to give up their loved pets to do so. As a dog owner I cant imagine doing this and just makes me even more thankful for the sacrifice they make for ALL of us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 27, 2012, 1:54 AM

stupid dogs

get so dang attached to the stupid things

i hate um'

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did once some years ago, when I had to convince

Jul 27, 2012, 8:23 AM

my son that he needed to get married and move out! Well, he took me up on it, and I've been well-pleased since...other than the fact that his kids are NOW substitute "dogs" and are much better than he at "begging!" lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it is tough

Jul 27, 2012, 8:35 AM

I had a Lab from a pup, but had much the same situation, I was moving to an area where there just wasn't enough room for a 2 year old Lab. I found it a good home on a farm and said goodby. It was the right thing to do for the dog. Who is it that said when faced with 2 choices almost always the more difficult is the right one.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, it is tough

Jul 27, 2012, 8:57 AM

That's true. I feel a little better knowing I'm doing the right thing, gonna miss the guy.

I had a pit bull and lived in an apartment. I kept her in a

Jul 27, 2012, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Yes, it is tough ]

Cage while I worked. I Took her for a walk or the park every night after work. Gotta get that energy out. It can work if you want it to work. I do understand where you're coming from. I couldn't stand the thought of giving my dog away. She's my best friend. FYI she is 5 now and she has really calmed down. She sleeps all day now!

Dig a hole, put dog in hole, shoot dog, cover dog up

Jul 27, 2012, 8:58 AM

don't tell the kids

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You just confirmed why I always thought of you as

Jul 27, 2012, 9:03 AM

a sicko.

Re: Dig a hole, put dog in hole, shoot dog, cover dog up

Jul 27, 2012, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Dig a hole, put dog in hole, shoot dog, cover dog up ]

Now that sounds like a perfect idea. Dig a hole, tie Neal's hands behind back and just cover him up. Then build a chit house on top of that spot.

Jul 27, 2012, 2:55 PM

Just a thought that worked for me with my then 1 to 2 year old golden retriever when I lived in Greensboro in an apartment (about 900 square feet) during that year. There are a lot of places that have dog daycare where they can run around and play all day. He LOVED it once he got over being a bit scared of so many dogs. He would come home at the end of the day and sprawl out on the kitchen hardwood completely spent after a day of fun. I usually took him there 2 days and left him home the other 3. I This gave his enough stimulation and exercise without being to much. They need time to just chill too. I agree with what others have said that from 2 to 3 1/3 (where mine is now) you will see a HUGE difference in energy level, hyperness, etc. I definitely understand if it is the best decision for him but for me daycare worked wonders and got me through a tough year. Nothing like a happy bounding little face running for you at the end of the day when you pick them up on the way home. I got him a year out of college. The first three years out can be extremly crazy especially with the economy the way it is right now. You may end up, like me, in three different places in the next 1-3 years like I did (Boston, Greensboro, back to God's Country) so that is something to take into consideration as well. It may not be a long term situation that you can get through with the right combination of a dog walker, dog daycare, and working around your schedule. Pray about and and good luck!

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic