Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Conservative Play Calling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Conservative Play Calling

Oct 8, 2015, 9:23 AM

Conservative Play Calling

Conservative Play Calling
I understand why some fans have been concerned about the conservative nature of the play-calling this season, but I wanted to point out a few things.

First, they were not conservative in the first two games against Wofford and Appalachian State. Wofford did try

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's the thing re: play calling vs ND

Oct 8, 2015, 9:41 AM

Let me start by saying I thought the play calling was perfect vs ND. I didn't and don't question any of it. It worked. Right?

It was conservative throughout. They were consistently conservative for 4 quarters.

The ND defense for whatever reason could not solve our running game until the 4th quarter. By then, the game was in-hand (barely in retrospect), rain was a pouring, and the OCs rightfully decided to kill off the game and get out with a W.

Many Tiger fans think we "got conservative" in the 4th quarter. Nope. We STAYED conservative.

Kudos to ND for figuring out how to stop the run (lol, after 3 quarters and a 21-3 deficit).

Similarly, the ND offense could not figure out how to move the ball against our defense until the 4th quarter. In this case they absolutely HAD to open up and try to throw, and to their credit they did well with it. Again though, too little too late.

When they no longer had to defend the deep ball...

Oct 8, 2015, 9:49 AM

they stopped the run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When they no longer had to defend the deep ball=BEST.

Oct 8, 2015, 10:30 AM

SENTENCE - Also, Wayne appeared tired and Watson fed up at having to call his own number so much - Tigers need to develop back-up power runner and use Zac Brooks for occasional wheel routes and possibly back up rb as he has been the best so far! AND YES KEEP AIRING IT OUT EVEN IF TO TIGHT ENDS AND BROOKS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we threw it twice? in the last 5 possessions, none of which

Oct 8, 2015, 10:47 AM [ in reply to When they no longer had to defend the deep ball... ]

would scare anyone deep. on the D side of the ball we rushed 3 & 4 keeping kizer in the pocket and hoping to blanket the back end while keeping things in front.

nd had no choice, but to press; they run blitzed and filled the box with 9 at times. they needed the ball.

the few breakdowns late on D were unbecoming a venables squad, at least what we've been used to recently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That seems like a perfectly good elaboration of what I said.

Oct 8, 2015, 7:19 PM

I think we both disagreed with what the man had to say or did I not understand you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That seems like a perfectly good elaboration of what I said.

Oct 8, 2015, 7:51 PM

it was reinforcement, i agree with you '88.

frame it, might not happen again.

;)

go tigers, go football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe the best sentence I've seen on this topic...

Oct 8, 2015, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Here's the thing re: play calling vs ND ]

" We STAYED conservative."

GREAT point.

I think our two OCs will open up the playbook only to the extent in which it is needed to win the game.
I'm cool with that.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Good point, I remember wishing Danny would throw it

Oct 8, 2015, 9:44 AM

15-20 times/game...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

400 yards rushing AND no sacks.

Oct 8, 2015, 10:02 AM

That's huge. Also very few negative runs period.

This^^^^***

Oct 8, 2015, 10:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

OL and DL are MUCH better than the preseason prognosis...

Oct 8, 2015, 10:05 AM [ in reply to 400 yards rushing AND no sacks. ]

Trench Warfare.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D Conservative Play Calling

Oct 8, 2015, 10:04 AM

I liked the game plan for the offense and agree with you. The offense did what it needed to do for the win

I think it was the D that went conservative and close to a prevent in the fourth and that is what made it close. For three quarters we pressured Kizer and he could do little to nothing. When we took the pressure off he torched us. Keep the defensive pressure for all four quarters.

Remember, the only thing a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning. John Madden

We didn't get much pass rush on Kizer all night.

Oct 8, 2015, 10:18 AM

They picked up our blitzes really well.

When we did get pressure it was b/c he held the ball a long time. They finally took advantage by waiting on shallow crossing routes and that wheel route.

I think we got caught peeking in the backfield b/c Kizer had hurt us by scrambling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we did well until tired in 4th quarter - need more depth and

Oct 8, 2015, 10:32 AM

return of Reader hopefully.

Didn't we have 4 sacks?

Oct 8, 2015, 11:05 AM [ in reply to We didn't get much pass rush on Kizer all night. ]

and a bunch of tackles for loss?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes. cu dominated up front. cu might have gone victory too

Oct 8, 2015, 11:08 AM

early, straight rushing 3 & 4 keeping kizer in front.

there were no twists, no stunts along the d front, just eyes on kizer keeping him contained and hoping to keep things in front on the back end.

Too much blitzing in the fourth... The LBs needed to secure

Oct 8, 2015, 11:49 AM [ in reply to D Conservative Play Calling ]

the middle on those crossing routes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'Conservative' is not accurate. 'Simple' is what I would say

Oct 8, 2015, 10:16 AM

we were on the two 3rd down plays that we really needed to put the game away.

I wanted to see more misdirection to try to get a LB or safety stepping the wrong direction. I can understand the plays having watched it again, most of them had worked earlier in the game.

But when a defense is desperate to get a stop, force them to have discipline.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 'Conservative' is not accurate. 'Simple' - AGREE!***

Oct 8, 2015, 10:32 AM

When he got the job, I just remember Dabo saying that he

Oct 8, 2015, 10:26 AM

wanted an attacking offense and an attacking defense. Coach Venables has the defense clicking and the defense does not "take what the offense gives them", instead they try to control the game by dictating what the offense can do. I love a good running game but I also would like to see us attack the other teams and use all of the weapons in our arsenal.

well, he's always wanted a strong running game and after

Oct 8, 2015, 10:31 AM

much lip service from theChad about smash mouf spread, the O staff decided to do something about it and it appears to be working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=573&v=vp-bb_qIR4s

there's some good convo about stallings & his emphasis on dominating up front especially in the run game, both running it better & stopping it.

[after 7:00ish mark, great interview overall]

YES - "...attacking offense using all of our weapons!"***

Oct 8, 2015, 10:34 AM [ in reply to When he got the job, I just remember Dabo saying that he ]

Re: Plyler's Blog: Conservative Play Calling

Oct 8, 2015, 11:00 AM

Sorta sounds like, "get in the left lane ..... what are you doing in the left lane, get in the right lane."

The Irish were desperate in the 4th quarter, and ...

Oct 8, 2015, 11:27 AM

Nothing frees up an offensive coach's hands more than ...... being down 24-9 in the 4th quarter!

Those who think the ND offensive coaches accomplished anything brilliant in the "near comeback" neglect to recognize that almost everything the Irish did in the 4th quarter was out of sheer desperation.

If the roles had been reversed, they would have been running every down and we would have been throwing ...

And they would have WON and we would have LOST.

AMEN "Mackey"...I mean Mickey!

Oct 8, 2015, 11:41 AM

U R right..do what's needed and Win Baby!

GoTiGERS..git eR Done & Keep Rocking & Gutting it out!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree, but it was 21-3, 21-9, then 24-9...***

Oct 8, 2015, 11:43 AM [ in reply to The Irish were desperate in the 4th quarter, and ... ]

Correct ... but, still ...***

Oct 8, 2015, 11:59 AM

my point is totally valid, no?

I made the correction just the same :)

haha, i said "agree", just tweeked the score for posterity.***

Oct 8, 2015, 12:28 PM

The article talks about passing as if going deep is the only

Oct 8, 2015, 11:55 AM

option. Where is the short, intermediate passing game? It seemed like the only plays we have are bubble screens, runs, or deep throws. Where's the intermediate stuff w/ the tight ends we heard so much about in the off season or maybe trying to create a mismatch to get one of our quicker, pass-catching RBs or young WRs iso'd against an LB for a dump off? There has been none of that kind of stuff.

This^^^^

Oct 8, 2015, 1:26 PM

Mickey is defending the play-calling at all costs. Something is amiss with our offensive play-calling and if you can't see that then you haven't been watching. We are missing Chad a lot more than we anticipated. I can't see how Mickey really believes what he's writing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This^^^^

Oct 8, 2015, 7:03 PM

We are 4-0. 2 wins over tough teams. ND may not lose again. The play calling got us the wins. Our best ball is ahead of us. I wish folks would compare our situation to SCAR and be glad we see room for improvement.

Conservative to ULTRA Conservative

Oct 8, 2015, 11:57 AM

Starting at about the 10 minute mark in the 4th quarter the game plan became run it into the middle of the line / #4 keeper 3 times and punt. With a downed and dangerous animal, you need to put it down! The bullet didn't even need to be another score... just a first down or two! We really didn't even really attempt a different look. The empty set? No. Try the jet sweep that seems to be successful? No. A play-action fake and try to get a playmaker in space? Nah.

No doubt we started playing not to lose. Thankfully we didn't, but on these types of stages and in these types of game... you got to play to win! A first down... any first down in that last 10 minutes and we're not having this conversation.

Weather dictated a lot, but you still have to try to at least move the chains... This game is hopefully a great learning experience for the coaching staff. Certainly we have a lot to be proud off, but also to build upon!

Amen and Preach on Brother. Because of our ability to run

Oct 8, 2015, 12:13 PM

the ball this is the most dangerous offense in years. The wind Sat played havoc with deep throws and neither team could throw it deep. We won because of our ability to run it and stop it on D.

Oct 8, 2015, 7:01 PM

Running the ball runs off a lot of clock. And incomplete pass stops the clock after only a few seconds. Running down the clock against Notre Dame Was the difference in the game. There was no time left for an on sidekick or any attempt at a drive

Oct 9, 2015, 6:12 AM

If you going conservative, put two backs in and run different plays. We are only talking one or two more first downs. Also, why pass on first down and why a long pass? Use the clock! It's your friend. Also, with the defense playing lights out for three quarters, why change? If it is working, why, why, why? Defense is aggressive, so keep being aggressive. When playing golf and my drive ends up in the trees (hey, I am human) , if it is a few trees I can usually advance the ball a long ways by avoiding a tree (the defender) , but a bunch of trees (tight defense like the first three quarters) , not so much. Great win by the Tigers and keep it up! Give Dabo some more to talk about.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll make a deal with you Mickey.

Oct 8, 2015, 7:47 PM

If you'll stop Dabo from leading cheers I'll keep Tnet from calling plays.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic