Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mideast peace deals last week
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 429

Mideast peace deals last week

Sep 18, 2020, 10:12 AM

Nothing? No comments?

I will say that over the years I've noticed that when a president gets in trouble..they seem to start redirecting focus to get mideast peace deals completed.

First example that comes to my mind is Jimmy Carter, who was fighting double digit inflation at home, double digit interest rates, and a recession, but somehow was able to bring peace to Egypt and Israel.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The deals, normalizing diplomatic & economic relations,

Sep 18, 2020, 10:15 AM

Will put pressure on other regional nations to follow suit....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We always think that.

Sep 18, 2020, 10:19 AM

but it never really does. Palestinians immediately started lobbing rockets at Israel. I don't think they plan on normalizing anything anytime soon.

Not talking about Palestine

Sep 18, 2020, 10:25 AM

They aren’t a country anyhow.....
The deals are fundamentally different than those in the past, you do realize that?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fundamentally different?

Sep 18, 2020, 10:32 AM

I don't know if I'd go that far. The UAE and Bahrain are looking for future protection from Iran. They are willing to pay Israel to get it.

Re: Mideast peace deals last week

Sep 18, 2020, 10:22 AM

Pretty balanced article...

https://theresurgent.com/2020/09/16/understanding-trumps-mideast-peace-deals/

For quozzel:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/?s=resurgent

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Outside of war, foreign policy has no sway on the electorate

Sep 18, 2020, 10:28 AM

Poll after poll shows that. So while Trump is doing a great job, people don't really care about the Middle East or foreign policy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Sep 18, 2020, 10:29 AM

There was a fabulous NYT Daily pod episode about this. It’s a huge positive for the current admin that they should be talking more about.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Evangelicals appreciate and respect Trump moving...

Sep 18, 2020, 10:36 AM

the US embassy to Jerusalem. It shows great respect for two faiths. Having any muslem nation recognize Israel's right to exist is impressive regardless of who brokers the deal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Carter then Trump?

Sep 18, 2020, 10:30 AM

Would you call that two in a row?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

two in a row..of what?***

Sep 18, 2020, 10:33 AM

Two presidents in a row trying to distract from...

Sep 18, 2020, 10:42 AM

horrible and failing economic situations at home by directing America's attention to middle east deals between Israel and muslim nations.

After 8 years of

Sep 18, 2020, 2:22 PM

Israel needs to carve out a chunk of their country to give into the terrorist attacks from the Palestinians

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll see what happens...

Sep 18, 2020, 10:38 AM

I'm quite skeptical of deals in the middle east. Hopefully this is the start of something meaningful but the pessimist in me wonders if this is just Netanyahu throwing Trump an pre-election bone that will disintegrate post-election.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tom Cotton has said it's an opportunity to sell weapons

Sep 18, 2020, 10:47 AM

to those two states, a quid pro quo. I understand that that is a common tool of foreign policy, but pouring weaponry into the region has not worked well for us in the past.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Iknowright? It worked just as well selling them to Mexican

Sep 18, 2020, 2:26 PM

drug cartels, you know..."to see where they were going"...lulz.

Well, it's not as if the world hasn't been waiting for...

Sep 18, 2020, 2:27 PM [ in reply to We'll see what happens... ]

4000 years to see the two tribes settle their differences. If we had a doubt contest I imagine I'd be in a first place tie with everyone who isn't named Trump.

Sep 18, 2020, 2:15 PM

The problem is that we are allied on the wrong side of ME politics. The Shia of Iran are far more rational and modern by ME standards than the Sunni of KSA. Most of the major terror networks are Wahabbi-Salafists (ISIS, AL Quada, Boka Haran) that have their roots in KSA. You will get executed if you get caught practicing Christianity in KSA. By contrast, there are 600 Christian churches in Iran.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 429
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic