Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
About this "parent story" on front page...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

About this "parent story" on front page...

May 27, 2012, 7:56 PM

First of all... reading through all the comments was pure entertainment. If you haven't, please do so.

I see what the parent was trying to say... I understand it... but ultimately, a lot of the points made won't matter. This will not affect Clemson going to the Big12 or not. Here are some things to consider:

- The people who really maybe lean on the side of the parent is stubborn, closed minded, narrow visioned... you're not seeing the big picture of Clemson University.

- should we just stop recruiting outside of south carolina then? I mean, look at the Florida recruits families you have to come all the way to Clemson just for a HOME game.

- The recruiting game goes both ways.. we go Big12, we can recruit Big12, if so facto, we will have families of recruits closer to away game schools.

- In the recruiting game, it will probably be a wash. For those who don't want to come to Clemson because of travel, we will pick up some who will want to be at Clemson no matter what and will want the higher profile games.

- It's also hard to tell just exactly where we would be playing yet... we don't know how many teams from the ACC will make the jump

- No parent or recruit should ever hold Clemson hostage. Clemson University and it's athletic program is bigger than that.

- I understand wanting to see your kid play, but at the end of the day it's his or her decision. I want my kids to be the best, play for the best, and play against the best... no matter what.

- And, as bigwig71® stated: "That poor kid is probaly praying we move to the Big 12. That way he'll be able to get away from his parents for a couple weekends each year."

- And as Baltimore Tiger® stated, When our football is relegated to that of the Southern Conference than we can all rejoice and sleep better knowing that some parents can see their kids play all their road games in a meaningless conference.

The End.

Message was edited by: SonsOfClemson®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER- http://twitter.com/#!/SonsOfClemson

thank you

May 27, 2012, 8:12 PM

well stated.

Re: thank you

May 27, 2012, 9:02 PM

agree!! thank you again!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: needed to be said...***

May 28, 2012, 8:25 PM [ in reply to thank you ]

Re: About this "parent story" on front page...

May 27, 2012, 8:29 PM

Exactly

I hate when parents sign those LOIs

May 27, 2012, 8:32 PM

hate it i tell you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not me!

May 27, 2012, 8:39 PM

I'm excited when a parent signs a Clemson LOI.

It means we are getting a young athlete with more time to develop.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

but if it hurts recruiting then will leaving be a good

May 27, 2012, 9:32 PM

thing? Recruits = success

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

read what I said..

May 27, 2012, 9:33 PM

I don't think there's any way that recruiting would be hurt. If anything, it will stay where it's at (already great), or get better.

I do agree with you.. recruits are a huge deal. I think it could hurt our recruiting if we stay in a depleting ACC.

I truly don't think it will hurt recruiting...this is ONE

May 28, 2012, 8:27 PM [ in reply to but if it hurts recruiting then will leaving be a good ]

families perspective...ONE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I truly don't think it will hurt recruiting...this is ONE

May 28, 2012, 8:29 PM

agree! overall it is a wash and just might help!some guys want to play Texas, Texas Tech, OK, OK State and the others

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it is...it's a wash...you're going to get some kids who want

May 28, 2012, 8:32 PM

to play and travel...some kids want to stay close to home and their parents are as well. This is ONE families perspective. We have gone WAY overboard on this ONE FAMILIES perspective. ONE FAMILY. You have 82 families represented on a football team along with coaches families. You don't make a decision based on one family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You Big 12 advocates have lost your collective minds.

May 27, 2012, 10:23 PM

I've never seen it so bad on Tigernet, and we all know Tigernet can be BAD.

First of all, "if so facto"? Come on, man.

Secondly, the article is about one recruit's parent's opinion. The question raised is, will other parents feel similarly? You WANT to believe that they won't, because you WANT to go to the Big 12. But you're only guessing. I would only be guessing if I said that all parents would feel like this parent does. None the less, it raises the issue this won't be the recruiting windfall that you all *hope* it will be. You say we'll be playing the best, but we'll just be playing two or three strong teams, and probably not every year (for at least one or two of them). To compensate, you advocate taking half the ACC with us.

No recruit's parent or recruit is holding anyone hostage, but they get to decide where they are going and if someone's friends and family being able to watch your kid play matters, then no one can tell them otherwise.

Yes, we will be better at recruiting the Big 12 region, but that WILL NOT compensate for not recruiting our natural recruiting base (the East Coast). First of all, most of our recruits come from the Carolinas, so the travel is a consideration for the majority of the players we'll talk to. Secondly, yes, we'll be able to recruit Texas or Kansas a little better, but just a little. You still face a recruit whose only going to play in their home state a few times a year (or, if it's Iowa, maybe only twice in their college career), and now you have the problem that the family/friends can't see them play at all the home games (without considerable expense).

Recruits will want to play big time games, like FSU, GT, VT, Miami. Other ACC programs will occasionally shine as well. Our recruits will also play against people they know when they are in the ACC. Not so in the Big 12.

"It's his or her decision." It's time we started facing reality on this site: We say it's the recruit's decision when we think the recruit wants to go to Clemson but his parents are pushing him elsewhere. We tell recruits to listen to their parents when their parents want to go to Clemson but they are leaning elsewhere. Let's stop kidding ourselves. We just want them all to come to Clemson, and we justify it however we can.

- And, as bigwig71® stated: "That poor kid is probaly praying we move to the Big 12. That way he'll be able to get away from his parents for a couple weekends each year."

I like it. Let me know when the "You can get away from your parents" brochures are printed by the football recruiting team. That will be a really strong recruiting tool. It will mesh well with the family atmosphere we've developed. Sheesh. What are we, South Carolina? Miami?

The ACC won't be relegated to anything if we stay intact.

null

You lost me at Big12 advocate...

May 27, 2012, 10:32 PM

it's more like ACC detester...

I'm not referring to ACC detesters, unti they advocate

May 27, 2012, 11:04 PM

moving to the Big 12.

null

well i understand Big12 advocates more than I do

May 27, 2012, 11:06 PM

ACC homers. I just don't get the support for the ACC.

Our recruiting is down now because of our being in the ACC

May 28, 2012, 9:45 PM

Recruits see that only the Big 4 conferences are where to be. If we stay in the ACC, I am afraid we will suffer on the recruiting trail.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is our recruiting down?***

May 28, 2012, 9:49 PM

Re: How is our recruiting down?***

May 28, 2012, 9:53 PM

It's not!! It's unbelievable some of the stuff these people make up!

Re: Our recruiting is down now because of our being in the ACC

May 28, 2012, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Our recruiting is down now because of our being in the ACC ]

Dude, you have no clue. Our recruiting has been top 10 the past two years and will continue to be good. FSU is stronger than us in recruiting and will stay in the ACC.

Our recruiting isn't down

May 28, 2012, 9:56 PM

But it isn't going to be hurt either. We might lose some guys who want to be closer to home but we might gain some that want to play in a more relevant conference. This reference might be lost on some of you older guys, but have you ever played dynasty mode on NCAA football? How often is "Conference Prestige" more important to a recruit than "Proximity to Home"? I know it's not the best example but it does support my point. Sorry old timers

You are letting your bias cloud your thoughts.

May 28, 2012, 10:00 PM

Its nothing out of the ordinary for recruits to want to stay close to home. Sure it may not be the deciding factor or an issue to everyone, but clearly it is important to some.

Also, why do you assume that the recruit himself does not hold the same or similar viewpoint?

Just recognize that this is a potential negative for a move to the Big XII and move on.

It may could be for a few kids....it's going to impact

May 28, 2012, 10:03 PM

basketball more than football though. Basketball has mid week games and therefore the travel is going to be harder. You're going to have FOUR...count that FOUR away games a year. That's no big deal in football...none. Basketball will be impacted though.

So does every other team.

May 28, 2012, 10:06 PM

Some closer than others, which is clearly an issue to some.

For other sports it would pretty much kill recruiting.

I don't understand how it's going to kill recruiting....

May 28, 2012, 10:08 PM

you're playing D1 sports in a great conference for a great school with great facilities that would be improving with more $...how does that kill recruiting? I just can't put my arms around that argument. The only place I see recruiting being impacted is basketball....that's it. No where else. There are kids that grow up wanting to play in the ACC basketball league. But I just don't see it impacting other sports.

It would definitely affect other sports

May 28, 2012, 10:25 PM

For football at least you can say we're playing better competition or whatever, but for every other sport you're playing more games against the same or worse competition 1000 miles away.

It's equally a potential positive.. that's where people

May 28, 2012, 10:04 PM [ in reply to You are letting your bias cloud your thoughts. ]

like yourself get clouded.

There are kids out there that might want to go to Clemson that are from Big12 land... we'll start recruiting out there... and kids that WANT to play those types of teams. I just don't feel like we will suffer from recruiting, anymore than we will gain in recruiting moving to the Big12.

Thats what I mean by bias

May 28, 2012, 10:15 PM

You want to leave the ACC, so you look at the best case possible when in reality it could play out many different ways.

no.. I'm just saying you should look at the positive along

May 28, 2012, 10:19 PM

with the negative. There are arguments to both sides. MY opinion, is that I don't want to be in the ACC if it indeed a sinking ship when it comes to having a chance at National Titles... isn't that why our boys suit up every week? Isn't that why we spend the money to go see them and cheer them on? It's gonna be REAL hard for me to get up for a season if we literally have zero chance of going to a NC. Sure, the percentage is already extremely low.. but having a chance, and no chance is a big difference.

Now you're changing the argument.

May 28, 2012, 10:32 PM

This is all there is to it.

Some recruits care about playing close to home.

Some recruits care about playing against certain teams.

How many recruits think that way? You don't know neither do I. You assume that the same amount or more recruits care about conference competition more.

I'm not saying this should be the deciding issue, but it should go into consideration and is definitely a potential negative. The same thing for TV coverage in GA, NC, VA, and MD.

If you don't know which way a potential recruit thinks

May 29, 2012, 2:24 AM

about these things... then how can you JUST call it a negative? Two way street.

Potential.

May 29, 2012, 10:13 AM

I can show you a source where it would affect a recruit negatively.

Show me a source where a recruit says Clemson being in the Big XII would be a big draw.

But YOUR bias is precluding you from the positives

May 28, 2012, 10:52 PM

More money, better competition, chance for National Championships, better facilities, better coaches, no Swofford. Take your pick

Re: But YOUR bias is precluding you from the positives

May 28, 2012, 11:01 PM

The only one of those that would be factual would be no Swofford. But then again, he might be leaving soon anyway.

Here is the difference between me and you.

May 28, 2012, 11:17 PM [ in reply to But YOUR bias is precluding you from the positives ]

I do not believe that Clemson will be left behind.

I do not believe the ACC will be left behind.

I do not believe any teams will leave the ACC.

We're in a conference with all of the major universities in the most populated area of the country. Nobody is going to leave the east coast out of college football.

You obviously believe the opposite.

Re: Here is the difference between me and you.

May 28, 2012, 11:25 PM

I agree 100%.

So you're saying we will make the same

Aug 31, 2005, 12:50 PM

Money should we stay in the ACC?

Re: So you're saying we will make the same

May 28, 2012, 11:16 PM

I wonder how many games will be televised in ga and nc if we move to the Big XII. that will figure into recruiting.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2012, 11:22 PM

And VA and FL too.

May 28, 2012, 11:24 PM [ in reply to So you're saying we will make the same ]

If you take the extra money and subtract it from the extra costs of travelling all of our athletic teams back and forth halfway around the country it will be a net loss. The next step after that will be to cut the number of sports that we compete in. Not a pretty picture. I wonder how many people writing the pro Big Xii posts have vested interests in our potential travel?

You're delusional or blind or both

May 29, 2012, 12:25 AM

The ACC has already been left behind. They didn't add value in expansion and the new TV deal is pitiful. A 4 team playoff is coming with only conference champions and the ACC is not one of the major 4 conferences. Get real. The East Coast has been left out of college football for a long time. Name the last "East Coast" team that competed for a national championship. And most of those people don't care about those area colleges. So we added Syracuse, does that mean that all of New York is now watching ACC games. And I think you might have inflated those travel costs a little bit there, buddy.

Re: You're delusional or blind or both

May 29, 2012, 12:48 AM

Lets see, how about VA Tech, FSU, Miami, GA Tech, Clemson? Previous to that how about Maryland, Pitt, Syracuse?

Re: You're delusional or blind or both

May 29, 2012, 1:08 AM [ in reply to You're delusional or blind or both ]

As always its about winning. When is the last time a team from the east coast was good enough to win a national title?

Also, as someone from Raleigh, its a bit ridiculous for you to say nobody cares about those schools.

Raleigh is a mess of different fans

May 29, 2012, 6:54 AM

I'd say 35% are NCSU fans, then 20% UNC, 5% Duke, 10% the other schools in NC, another 20% out of state schools like CU, VT, SCAR, etc, and another 10% don't care, most of those transplanted Yankees. The majority of the fans of the Triangle teams care more about basketball anyways. Take a look at the N&O if you want to get a feel of the football/basketball split. There are stories on the front page year-round about bball while football stories run from August-November, sparsely December and January, a few the week of signing day and spring practices and that's it. My point is that just because a conference has the market of an area doesn't mean that those TV sets will be tuned in to the school. Like the Twerps bringing in the Baltimore and DC markets or BC bringing in the Boston market (and now I'm hungry). And, the Triangle teams have a ton of talent in the area and the state as a whole but look at how well they recruit. The big-time players leave the state to play in the SEC mostly. Now tell me how many games do you think the parents of Chris Leak went to his games at UF? The closest away games other than cootlumbia are at least 5 hours away from Raleigh and it is in the middle of the state. ND has a pretty solid pipeline in NC. Stanford always seems to get a couple guys as well. Now that's a long way to go

I've lived in the triangle area my whole life.

May 29, 2012, 10:11 AM

I played football in HS here, I've dealt with fans of all of the major schools in this area.

People around here care what happens to those schools. The main point is these are major schools in a large area of the country. They won't be left out.

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic