Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
About 5 years ago, I started saying that in 15-20 years,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,748

About 5 years ago, I started saying that in 15-20 years,

Dec 6, 2012, 9:26 PM

somewhat jokingly,that players would be wearing full bodied nerf suits and flags. Well, let's take a look at the evolution. When I was a kid, defensive players clotheslined ball carriers,horse collared ball carriers, slapped offensive linemen in the earholes,threw forearm shivers to the head,and knocked receivers out when they came across the middle.In 35 years, all of those legal tactics are now 15 yard penalties. The Jack Tatum hit on Darryl Stingley was brutal and it started all of the protectionism we are now seeing.That was indeed unnecessary roughness, but what we are seeing now is the beginning of the end of football. No kickoffs, no blocking below the waist, anywhere, ever,no helmet to helmet hits(kind of an oxymoron in my opinion, I mean, why not just take the helmets off. Heck, take the pads off.We could go back to rugby. Anyway, when I heard today that the NFL was going to ban cut blocks,blocks below the waist, and the radio host said this would lead to the inevitable banning of taking running backs legs out from under them, I could only think, THAT will leave only one way left to tackle.....Yep, ARM TACKLE, the one thing coaches blame losses on more than anything else. You see, currently if you hit them high,and you hit them hard, you receive a 15 yard penalty for leading with either the head or the shoulder. Honestly, what else can you anatomically lead with? Then, if you let the runner go past you and you pull him down by the shoulder pads and in some cases if it looks BAD enough, by the jersey,HORSE COLLAR...15 yawahds!
The next thing you know...they will be making a player take a play off for losing his helmet....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pussification?***

Dec 6, 2012, 9:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mrs. Wilson, my 11th grade Creative Writing teacher always

Dec 6, 2012, 9:40 PM

said," Never use two words, when one will do". You must have made an "A" in her class.

Nice rant, and I do not disagree

Dec 6, 2012, 9:49 PM

but uou have to admit that something should be done on the concussion issue. I do not have an answer, but it is an issue....maybe a solution is in equipment.

I played football, and at 58yo I wonder if I could have made better choices.... the time it takes me to get out of bed, the inability to enjoy other recreational activites later in life ..... just a thought

Re: Nice rant, and I do not disagree

Dec 7, 2012, 7:56 AM

Do you think it could be "old age"?

Do you have a son that plays football?

Dec 6, 2012, 10:16 PM

I'm just wondering how you feel about him playing the football that you described 35 years ago and being so injured it changed/altered his life?

You, are what we are up against. I played football 35 years

Dec 7, 2012, 7:44 AM

ago.Injuries happen. And some things, like spearing should be a penalty. But,horse collars,helmet to helmet( when a ball carrier is running towards the goal line for example),blocking someone below the waist,hitting a receiver who is running across the middle of the field, should still should be a part of the game. Let me give you an example. If a receiver is running across the endzone, and the defense is playing zone and the ball comes to the receiver 2 yards in front of the safety who is in the middle of the endzone. The only way to break that up is for the safety to knock the snot out of the receiver and separate him from the ball. If he does and that is called a personal foul, well, then you have what we call BASKETBALL. Picture a small forward making a back door cut to the basket and BOOK laying a hard foul on him. That is what we now have in football. If you don't want contact or little Johnny to get hurt, take him to the soccer field, basketball court,tennis court,golf course,or heck send him fishing with me; although sometimes fishermen do get a hook stuck in your hand,arm,shoulder that has to be removed at the site.

Re: You, are what we are up against. I played football 35 years

Dec 7, 2012, 7:54 AM

Just for a bit of clarification, you can still LIGHT UP a QB or a receiver crossing the middle as long as you lead with your shoulder and hit him below the chin. David Dunham's pasting of Matty Ice comes to mind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I disagree. I have seen it called this year. The announcers

Dec 7, 2012, 7:59 AM

in one game this year said( well let me clarify, they referred to it as "Targeting")anytime you lead with your head or shoulder,up high,you are going to get flagged. And, do you remember this year when Ford caught a pass, turned and took two full strides upfield before he was blown up. Perfectly legal tackle, and the defender got a 15 yard penalty.

Since the targeting rule is new, there have been some

Dec 7, 2012, 8:03 AM

over-zealous calls. According to the rules, however, the hit I described is legal. I don't think Dunham's hit would be flagged under the current rule.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are right about the rule and the interpretation of it. I

Dec 7, 2012, 8:32 AM

think the Dunham hit would be called a personal foul at least half the time now though.Remember, you have seven refs on that field. It only takes one of them to go,"Ooh, that was TOO hard" and toss a flag. Especially if it got a loud roar from the crowd. And,if tacklers start lowering their heads, so that they can hit a player in the mid section, instead of keeping their heads up, I bet you are going to see more neck injuries to the tacklers.

I really don't know what the rules are in the NFL.

Dec 7, 2012, 7:50 AM

I consider a player "retired" once he leaves college.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

You and I are on the same page. I have not watched a full

Dec 7, 2012, 7:53 AM

NFL quarter in probably four or five years.

Re: About 5 years ago, I started saying that in 15-20 years,

Dec 7, 2012, 7:55 AM

If you look at society as a whole I think you will see a parallel. Our country is getting over whelmed by the legal/insurance community.

Know what 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean is?

Dec 7, 2012, 7:58 AM

A good start.

The actions of 99% of all lawyers

Dec 7, 2012, 8:00 AM

make the rest look bad

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. Do you know why a shark won't bite a lawyer?

Dec 7, 2012, 8:05 AM

Professional courtesy.

A bus full of lawyers going over a cliff with two empty

Dec 7, 2012, 8:34 AM

seats.....................A crying shame...

Re: About 5 years ago, I started saying that in 15-20 years,

Dec 7, 2012, 7:59 AM

I cant do it in one word but I agree. Let's discuss the color of the flags the players should wear. My bet is they will be "Pink".

Only in October.***

Dec 7, 2012, 8:35 AM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,748
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic