Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC isn't going away..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 2,937

ACC isn't going away..

May 21, 2012, 9:39 AM

The ACC is not by any means dead. If it somehow gets to 16 by adding Notre Dame and maybe UConn, the TV deal will definitely be renegotiated. I just don't think Rutgers will do anything to the ACC except add the Jersey market. The ACC fails IMO if Rutgers is invited.

Next, Swofford must be fired. It has become apparent that FSU is upset with the UNC/Duke-bias and if they leave, then ACC football takes a huge blow. All signs indicate FSU staying, but in order for them to stay happy, Swofford must go. The ACC needs a commissioner that understands football is the key to a successful conference these days. Swofford has shown all he cares about is his former school, especially considering he didn't apply further punishment after their dirty ways were revealed. Screw Tobacco Road.

Last, the Rose Bowl and new Big 12/SEC bowl has caused a huge panic for ACC fans. Well, the answer is not to have an ACC/Big East bowl. The Big East has become even more irrelevant as of late, and this game would only hurt the ACC's image. Instead, the conference should keep the Orange Bowl and have its champion play a top-10 at large team in it every year. For example, Clemson/FSU/Va Tech against a second-place Pac-12, SEC, Big Ten, or Big 12 team will certainly get ratings and sell tickets. A Big East team is only invited if it is ranked in the top-10, which, let be honest, won't happen.

GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^in denial***

May 21, 2012, 9:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But Big-Boy football is going away from the ACC.***

May 21, 2012, 9:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame is not coming to the ACC

May 21, 2012, 9:42 AM

The ACC is life support and the life support is about to be pulled.

Notre Dame does not want to join a conference for football,

May 21, 2012, 10:37 AM

but if forced to, it would rather be associated with the ACC than the Big 12. It would rather be associated with the Big 10 than the Big 12. In the end, money will determine. They might join the Big 12 if they can get special treatment on the level of UT. If the ACC had a leader with intelligence, creativity, and cojones, I think it could land Notre Dame. Pretty friggin' big IF....

Uhh, the Orange Bowl currently has no Big East tie.***

May 21, 2012, 9:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not going away

May 21, 2012, 9:46 AM

it's just falling to a point where it's going to be on par with the Conf USA and the WAC. It will continue to be a strong basketball conference (Swoffy made sure of that) but its days as a "power" football conference are numbered

Re: It's not going away

May 21, 2012, 10:19 AM

The question is? Will basketball make enough money after Clemson, FSU, VT, and NCST leaves for higher ground. I DON'T think it will, and I'm not by my self in thinking the same. Even if the Big East merges with the ACC to make one BB conference. I don't think that the TV contract money will be enough for the ACC to survive. UNCheat, Duke, Wake, and maybe UVA won't be enough big time BB to pay a lot of money for. I also believe that GT, Maryland, Miami, and BC will be moving out also. No, the acc isn't dead yet, but IT IS on speed die....

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you hang onto that...

May 21, 2012, 9:50 AM

I'll see everyone else in Norman and Stillwater

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: you hang onto that...

May 21, 2012, 9:54 AM

you have fun there. don't know why you're going, but I heard the tornadoes there can be a #####...

I believe it was you who said....

May 21, 2012, 10:04 AM

that you would miss trips to places like Wake Forest and Duke.

The good news is that you can still make those trips but you'll be watching Wake and Duke play opponents like Army, East Carolina, Southern Miss, Temple, Troy, Central Florida, Marshall, and Middle Tennessee State rather than Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I believe it was you who said....

May 21, 2012, 10:17 AM

yea, get back to me in 10 years and see if any that statement was accurate. unless those teams play there during the nonconference schedule.... ;)

If you can't see the landscape in college football changing

May 21, 2012, 12:38 PM

it's only because you're not looking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

York -- which schools may be blocking us from Big 12?

May 21, 2012, 10:06 AM [ in reply to you hang onto that... ]

I saw somewhere that 4 were for expansion, 4 against, 1 very pro, and 1 very anti. Is there that much of a split in expanding and what about the brandname of Clemson? Thanks--you are doing a great job!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everything I have heard and read....

May 21, 2012, 10:07 AM

indicates the Big XII unanimously supported the addition of both FSU and Clemson.

no one is blocking Clemson....

May 21, 2012, 10:08 AM [ in reply to York -- which schools may be blocking us from Big 12? ]

and those numbers are innaccurate...

If the Big XII was only going to take 2 teams, and the choices were Clem/FSU/ND... then yea, we'd be out. Absolutely.

But Clem/FSU make 11 and 12. The Big XII gets a new deal with the 13 team... hence the ND push. ND comes on board and either Pitt or GT would join them for 14... and a new TV deal.

But ND is still a longshot at best.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I'm not so sure about ND being a long short at this point

May 21, 2012, 10:10 AM

since the Big XII would likely allow Notre Dame to maintain its third tier television rights; something the Big 10 will not do at this point.

That's the big draw...

May 21, 2012, 10:14 AM

BigXII and own TV network

vs.

Big 10 and natural rivalries and more natural fit

interesting

I think they want more than retaining third tier rights ...

May 21, 2012, 10:44 AM

I think they want a bigger cut of 1st and 2nd tier than say Baylor, TCU, TTU, or ISU. Why should they get the same cut? A renegotiated contract with Notre Dame probably brings in an extra $30M - $50M a year to the deal. I could see Notre Dame wanting half that and letting everyone else split up the other half - Not sure the bosses in Austin will go for that.

Ultimately, Notre Dame knows

May 21, 2012, 12:20 PM

if they don't join a conference, they are going to get left out of any play-off scenario.

Notre Dame also know that Friday's announcement cost them a signifiant amount of their bargaining power.

No conference is going to permit Notre Dame to retain a significantly larger share of the conference revenue compared to everyone else. Retainiong third tier TV reights is about the best they are going to get.

Re: no one is blocking Clemson....

May 21, 2012, 10:27 AM [ in reply to no one is blocking Clemson.... ]

Wouldn't you think that ND would ride with the Pac over the B12.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The opposite - Notre Dame would rather go east than west

May 21, 2012, 10:40 AM

if they have to go anywhere. They would rather be left alone. In the end, they will go where it makes $en$e for them to go...

Re: The opposite - Notre Dame would rather go east than west

May 21, 2012, 12:29 PM

For the ACC to survive in a "power" form

#1 Notre Dame must join (I say take UConn as #16)

#2 Swofford must go along with Raycom

#3 ESPN must give us a contract similar to Big 12 maybe less money per team but let us control our tier 3 rights to keep FSU and bring in ND.

#4 The conference offices should move out of NC (DC would be a good fit)

#5 ACC Football Championship in Charlotte and ACC Basketball Championship in NYC

#6 The league should strike alliances with the academic power conferences (BIG and PAC 12) to counter the Big XII and SEC alliance

Re: no one is blocking Clemson....

May 21, 2012, 1:58 PM [ in reply to no one is blocking Clemson.... ]

Why in the world would the Big 12 want Pitt. I do not see what they bring. The ACC s not that excited about them although I think with their new coaching staff they do have value.

The ACC may survive all of this, but....

May 21, 2012, 9:53 AM

football in the ACC will be relegated to Conference USA status. Should Clemson, FSU, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech defect, the ACC's automatic BCS Bowl birth will be all but lost.

Re: The ACC may survive all of this, but....

May 21, 2012, 10:45 AM

There is no BCS going forward. There is a playoff system coming to replace it. BCS is dead.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's true....

May 21, 2012, 11:07 AM

and after the defections and the ACC is relegated to Conference USA status, no team from the ACC will be considered as a participant in a play-off.

Re: ACC isn't going away..

May 21, 2012, 9:58 AM

It may not be dead. But it is dying of the deadly swofford cancer. It can be treated to save parts of it. But the Clemson leg, and the FSU leg will have already been amputated. With the VT and NCST arms to be amputated also. If the swofford cancer isn't removed quickly, Mr ACC will surely DIE....

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

May 21, 2012, 10:16 AM

So the acc is gonna change colors.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2012, 10:24 AM

LOL, I caught that, and it has been corrected. But it good to know that the spelling police is still hard at work. I will mail the fine into the spelling police station. I hope it was only a 2 point violation:) Thanks!!!

ACC isn't going away...in the words of St. Paul:

May 21, 2012, 10:03 AM

"Not all of us will die, but we will all be changed."

Those who stay with the ACC will be like those who stayed with the Southern Conference at the close of World War II... and if that's what you wish to be, there's not a thing in the world wrong with it.

But don't believe for a moment that that future is going to attract any hobo who isn't already desperate enough to hop on the first boxcar leaving wherever they're stuck right now.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually - I hate to say it - but Rutgers is the smarter

May 21, 2012, 10:31 AM

choice to come in with Notre Dame than UConn.

Even though UConn is preppier, more New Englandy,much better in basketball, and by most measures a "better fit" for the ACC than Rutgers, it is not the smarter choice.

Rutgers has the better football tradition (admittedly not saying much) and the better football future than UConn. Much more importantly, Rutgers brings in much, much more TV dollars. Its not just NJ TV, its Philadelphia and (much more importantly) New York City. New York City is the largest market in the country. Notre Dame and Rutgers are easily the two biggest draws in the biggest market - Rutgers blows both Syracuse and UConn combined out of the water in the NYC market. Never ever forget all of this is about TV markets and TV contract$.

Do I really want to see little Anthony Soprano and his buddies - not to mention those Jersey Shore tards rolling into Death Valley? not no but Hell No. That said, if you are going to sell out, sell out BIG...

You know ACC football is dead when we're debating...

May 21, 2012, 10:46 AM

the merits of Rutgers versus UConn in expansion.

Look at expansion targets for other conferences and you see teams like WVU (B12, done), TAMU (SEC, done), Missouri (SEC, done), Nebraska (B10, done), FSU, Miami, VT, CLEMSON, GT, etc, etc.

Notre Dame is the best the ACC could do, but (reaches for megaphone) IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN! No money. No Tier 3. Why would you leave the Carnival Cruise ship to hop on the Titanic? Just...because? Charity? Ha!

So, the ACC is reduced to courting schools that no one cares about in football solely for their presence in larger markets that, unfortunately, DON'T WATCH FOOTBALL. Genius.

Thankfully we wouldn't be the ones debating.....

May 21, 2012, 10:56 AM

Big XII might mean a longer boat ride, but at least the boilers are still working!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heck yeah.***

May 21, 2012, 10:58 AM

Either Rutgers or UConn would be a 16th team, Notre Dame

May 21, 2012, 11:03 AM [ in reply to You know ACC football is dead when we're debating... ]

would be 15. You wouldnt take either one of them without Notre Dame. Now, Notre Dame is a longshot for the ACC, just as it a longshot for the Big 12. IF Notre Dame wanted to come to the ACC, Clemson stays put in my humble opinion. We are only looking at leaving for the money. If the money was the same, we'd stay put.

Finally, not only is NYC the largest tv market - it is the second largest college football watching market in the country. Only Atlanta - which is the 6th or 7th largest market overall - has more college football viewers than NYC. This is why Ga Tech is a much bigger draw for the Big 12 or the Big 10 than Va Tech.

Re: Actually - I hate to say it - but Rutgers is the smarter

May 21, 2012, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Actually - I hate to say it - but Rutgers is the smarter ]

It will be Pitt, not Rutgers. They have a long history with ND.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pitt is already in the ACC.

May 21, 2012, 11:07 AM

but Notre Dame is the only reason that the Big 12 is considering Pitt - its not because WVa wants the Backyard Brawl. If Notre Dame were to go to the Big 12 ( a longshot as York says), then Pitt just might jump Ga Tech. Assuming Notre Dame does not go Big 12, I think its Clemson / FSU / Ga Tech / Miami. Its all about TV markets and renegotiated TV contracts and little if anything else at this point. A little academic window dressing helps Ga Tech and Miami more than Pitt - but if Pitt brought in more $, they'd be in.

Replies: 37
| visibility 2,937
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic