Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe this is the heartless Republican from my past
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 682

Maybe this is the heartless Republican from my past

Mar 18, 2020, 9:17 AM

coming back up again, but there are a lot of posts I am seeing from people who work in restaurants complaining that since McMaster has closed all restaurants they won't be getting paychecks anymore.

If you are over 30 and still work at a restaurant in any capacity but owner/manager, you have made enough bad decisions in your life that that $1000 Trump Check ain't going to fix.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I would agree that is a pretty heartless generalization, yes***

Mar 18, 2020, 9:19 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course I'm not talking about those that have

Mar 18, 2020, 9:20 AM

one of these jobs as a second/weekend gig.

But if that is your main source of income, something went wrong somewhere in your life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Of course I'm not talking about those that have

Mar 18, 2020, 9:24 AM

I was always told if you cant do anything, you can do 4 things:

Cop
Teacher
Pastor
Military

Working in the service industry is tough, especially with all the substance abuse, but making 40/50/60k a year, isnt a bad wage for many. I know a bartender at St Elmo's in Indy, older man, been working there for 20+, he is making over 80k a year. I bet you would like that check.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Of course I'm not talking about those that have

Mar 18, 2020, 10:56 AM

I would invite you to try being a teacher for a month. You couldn't hack it for a week.

Like maybe having a parent who

Mar 18, 2020, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Of course I'm not talking about those that have ]

spent all day doing drugs instead of encouraging you to do homework and study, or like your plant where you worked for 10 years deciding to close its doors, or like your husband, who supported the family for 30 years, unexpectedly passing away. Tough luck, waitress...should have made better decisions, I guess.

Re: Like maybe having a parent who

Mar 18, 2020, 9:30 AM

Suprised you vote republican with that logic

I don't "vote Republican".

Mar 18, 2020, 9:32 AM

I vote for who I feel is the best candidate. A lot of times that is Republican. A lot of times it is not. I have not voted for a Republican for President since 2004, for example.

But I have never, as far as I can remember,

Mar 18, 2020, 9:36 AM

voted for a Democrat for any office. I still don't think that means I "vote Republican". I don't care about political parties.

Re: I don't "vote Republican".

Mar 18, 2020, 9:39 AM [ in reply to I don't "vote Republican". ]

interesting. Did you vote for Hillary or sit that one out?

I voted for Darrell Castle for President in 2016.***

Mar 18, 2020, 9:41 AM

Re: I voted for Darrell Castle for President in 2016.***

Mar 18, 2020, 10:58 AM

Why bother to vote if you are going to waste it like that ? And be proud of it ?

A wasted vote would be if I voted for someone

Mar 18, 2020, 11:04 AM

who I didn't want to be President. If I voted for someone else, then that means my voice, my opinion, would be silenced, by myself.

I do not believe there is a threshold at which my opinion becomes valid, if enough people agree with me. I'm going to make my voice heard, if I'm literally the only person in the world saying it.

Republicans generally appreciate anyone that works

Mar 18, 2020, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Like maybe having a parent who ]

hard for their money. Looking down at other humans is a liberal trait.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, it's just the trait of an ###.

Mar 18, 2020, 9:37 AM

Liberal or conservative. And plenty do it on both sides. I've seen liberals mock blue collar workers, and I've seen conservatives make fun of people for not making enough money. ### liberals will attack construction workers and plumbers, etc.; ### conservatives attack teachers/professors and reporters.

### conservatives tend to put value on a person based how much money he makes. ### liberals put value on a person based on how much education he has.

Both are wrong, and neither group of ##### has cornered the market.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Republicans generally appreciate anyone that works

Mar 18, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Republicans generally appreciate anyone that works ]

I call Bullyshit !!

BOOM goes the TheProdigal***

Mar 18, 2020, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Like maybe having a parent who ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoa. When did Prod learn sarcasm?***

Mar 18, 2020, 10:36 AM

null

Story time....went into the Wendy's by my parents house

Mar 18, 2020, 9:28 AM

about a month ago. It's in Columbia. Went there for sheetz and giggles, since I used to go there all the time as a kid until I left for college in 1994. Back around 1988-9 they hired this geeky kid, had glasses, talked like a geek, I mean the perfect stereotype. He stuck out like a sore thumb. Was very good though, worked hard, and was nice and polite with customers, etc. He stayed there for 5 years until I graduated high school. Went off to Clemson and just forgot about him really. Maybe a year or so after graduating college, went back there. Guy was still there. This is around 2001ish. Wife and I moved over to NE Columbia in 2003. Saw him again working there a few years later. Haven't been back to that Wendy's in probably 16 years now.

So last month I stopped by there. They had remodeled it from the old Wendy's to the shiny new Wendys. I figured there's no way the guy still works there. Went inside. Guess who took my order. Yep. I actually spoke to him and told him I remembered him from when I was in middle school. He said he'd been working there for 35 years. He seemed happy I recognized his longevity there. I paid with a $20 and told him to keep the change. Was too scared to ask if he was the manager now, just in case he wasn't. He #### well should be.

He may have some kind of disability, but I admire the heck out of that guy, whatever his story may be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Story time....went into the Wendy's by my parents house

Mar 18, 2020, 11:00 AM

All honest work is honorable - Thomas Jefferson

Yep. Nothing beats the reward and motivation of knowing

Mar 18, 2020, 11:11 AM

exactly the way your job helps other people, and knowing why you get paid to do what you do.

I feel sorry for people in cubicles in a massive company pushing paper and meeting all day long. Those folks get so distanced from knowing the value and purpose of their jobs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude. No.

Mar 18, 2020, 9:30 AM

I've met plenty of newly-divorced moms, teachers taking second/summer jobs, and others who have fallen on hard times without any fault of their own, who work in the service industry. I've also met bartenders who just love the job, or waiters who work at higher end restaurants and make decent money.

One of my favorite bartenders in Mt. P is married, has two kids, and a third on the way. This is the job she enjoys and what she's good at.

Now's not the time to start judging people over their professions. Well, more so than ever, but there's really not ever a time if it's an honest living.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

And for every one that has "fallen on hard times"

Mar 18, 2020, 9:37 AM

or works at St. Elmo's or Magnolia's etc

There are 15 who are supplementing their meth addiction.

I can come up with all kinds of strawman type examples of this one person who fell on hard times.

But if you took a census of the overall, especially the ones complaining on my Facebook, they made terrible decisions and that's why they are making $3 per hour.

At least you are admitting it was an incorrect

Mar 18, 2020, 9:39 AM

generalization about an entire population.

They are not "strawmen"...

Mar 18, 2020, 9:41 AM [ in reply to And for every one that has "fallen on hard times" ]

They are real-life examples that disprove your sweeping generalization. And I would challenge you to prove your claim that there are 15 30-something or above meth addicts in the service industry for every one who isn't.

No doubt there are some who made bad decisions, but maybe now they are trying to do it right, and this is the best they can do. And the more people losing their jobs in any industry, the worse it will be for all of us.

My neighbors across the street own three restaurants in the Charleston area. They have three children. I really worry about them and all of their employees. Bad decisions or not, none of them could have predicted such hard times due to this scenario.

Re: And for every one that has "fallen on hard times"

Mar 18, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to And for every one that has "fallen on hard times" ]

FB,

Man, I don't know where you are eating, but you need to pick a better neighborhood or a better class of restaurants.

I eat out plenty and I don't have any such evidence to support your bias here.

I mean yeah, maybe stay out of these discussions if you

Mar 18, 2020, 9:36 AM

can't see past your own bubble. Pretty crappy that you would look down on anyone busting their butt trying to make a living. Have you worked in a restaurant before? I have and it's much more taxing than my current job.

Use your logic on yourself, why aren't you very wealthy? are you just not trying hard enough? Making too many bad descision? or does a lot of it depend on your background and the opportunities you had?

In addition...

Mar 18, 2020, 10:00 AM

I met a guy in his 40s once. He was a happy hour regular when I lived in the Upstate, and we would get to talking sometimes. Always wearing a suit. Made great money. I was in my 20s at the time. Seemed like the kind of guy I would want to strive to be.

On the surface, he seemed like a really successful dude. But as I got to know him, I learned what a POS he was. He was always creeping on the high school hostesses at the establishment. One day, he finally admitted to me that was once caught in the biggest cocaine bust in Alabama and served time. And he laughed about it.

Anyway, my point is, he made some bad decisions, but he was good at figuring out how to make money. A lot better than the people his same age working in that establishment. But he was by far the biggest POS in that building every happy hour.

Re: In addition...

Mar 18, 2020, 10:05 AM

Cata, never thought we would agree on anything and here we are......

I know an illegal immigrant who has been working as a bartender at a downtown Chicago restaurant for 27 years. Yup 27 years, still illegal too. Raised kids, sent them to college, etc.. I bet several of you have been to this restaurant and have met this guy. Super popular spot in Chicago. I used to stay right by the place every other week for several years. Super nice, just doing his thing and living the American dream. Started washing dishes and then went to the pinnacle of this place as a bartender.

I saw him a couple weeks ago and he is starting the process to become legal and his employer is helping him along with a lawyer to navigate this without sending himself to Mexico or to jail.

3 years from retiring as he saved his money and has retirement/pension through the restaurant group and super successful.

Makes me happy to think about him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe this is the heartless Republican from my past

Mar 18, 2020, 10:55 AM

Wow...

I don't know any republicans that don't admire hard work no matter the field. Do you think the service industry is lower on the totem pole than factory workers, farmers, or really any other job?

I know multiple people making 6 figures bartending.

Republicans oppose 15 hour minimum wage because it would make small businesses close and larger businesses automate or hire less people

Republicans oppose the green new deal because it is the dumbest proposed legislation I have ever seen.

Republicans oppose people being lazy and just wanting a government hand out.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 11:18 AM

Mountain,

I want to believe what you say about Republicans and their attitudes about the working class, but I have a couple of questions (seriously)

If Republicans admire hard work, how can they square the fact that working 40 hours at the current minimum wage still leaves the worker in poverty ?

Is it possible that some Republicans have a little of what Coach started this thread with - a bit of disrespect for some jobs that they view as beneath them (and therefore subject to some of that "they are getting the hard life that they deserve").

What % of Americans would you say fit the profile of "being lazy and just wanting a government handout".

I wish I could sit down and talk with some typical Republicans about this. Some of the Republican positions do not seem to jibe with some of what you are saying. Perhaps there is some common ground here which I have been missing.

Finally, you might check the research on a $15 minimum wage. It indicates that it does not cause some of the ill effects that concern you.

I know several waiters/bartenders/servers/owners/managers

Mar 18, 2020, 11:01 AM

That make more money than you probably ever will. They are professionals..not college kids home on summer break.

I am really hoping you'll be working throughout the summer teaching kids dodge ball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 11:06 AM

I live near and eat in Clemson often. How many restaurants workers do you think are putting themselves through university. And what happens to them now ?

Mar 18, 2020, 3:46 PM

What about mom and pop local restaurants ? What do you think about them ??

Replies: 33
| visibility 682
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic