Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A couple of random thoughts on Baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

A couple of random thoughts on Baseball

Mar 3, 2014, 2:02 PM

First off I will say I don't think we lack talent. I think we are able to get guys here who can play.
One thing that I have come to accept as a fact is that Leggett teams have common flaws year to year. One glaring thing that stands out is we simply suck running bases. Every year it is the same thing we get something going and either get picked off or make horrific decisions on the paths.
Number 2: Things that are fairly run of the mill plays we seem to make challenging. The example that comes to mind is rundowns.
The last example is a lack of aggressiveness at the plate. You can say what you want about Wilhelm teams but they DID attack the baseball. IMO we take far to many quality pitches only to strike out looking or chasing a pitchers pitch.
That being said I still think that by years end this team will be in a regional and possibly be a host. I think we overcome much of the above stated because of talent. Like I said these are things I have come to accept as commonplace.
Oh one more thing...for the life of me I CANNOT see how a guy hitting .077 is still in the lineup. If I recall the same scenario went down last year. SMH.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you on the outlook for the season

Mar 3, 2014, 2:05 PM

I think if we'd been at mid- season form, we'd have taken the games on Friday and Sunday, at least. However, we're going to have to find some more pitchers we can count on in the bullpen, and we need to shore up our fielding. Do that, and we'll be very good. Continue making the same mistakes we made this weekend, and we'll lose to UVa and FSU.

* I also don't agree with you about the base- running. I think we've been very good on the bases, but our philosophy is to be very aggressive because we have a lot of team speed. We put pressure on the other team a lot, but sometimes that can mean erasing one of our guys who would've still been out there if we weren't trying to take extra bases.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is confirmation bias, I believe

Mar 3, 2014, 2:17 PM

If you think we're bad at base running you will naturally notice and remember the times we get caught stealing or trying to grab an extra base, without pacing nearly the same importance on the many other times we get the extra base or two.

I imagine folks who think the very aggressive strategy is the right one, do the exact opposite.

I myself like the aggressive strategy, so I'm probably biased as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is confirmation bias, I believe

Mar 3, 2014, 2:24 PM

I agree with what all of you are saying, however, fundamental baseball is absent alot. Errors, base running, aggresion at the plate, too much bunting. All of those things are corrected by coaching and practice. We appear to be lacking in both of those areas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you guys all have valid and educated opinions

Mar 3, 2014, 2:41 PM

I think everyone has their theory on how to approach the game. I guess mine is heavy aggression at the plate. I don't mind stealing at all just have enough sense to correctly time jumps. I am all for aggression too on taking extra bases. Force great throws to put a guy out.
I guess what I have seen consistantly is guys getting picked against RHP. That drives me nuts. We have blown several rundowns on defense the last couple years too.

Re: A couple of random thoughts on Baseball

Mar 3, 2014, 4:49 PM

Good points. I believe to win in college you have to find the right mix of pure talent (that doesnt get picked by MLB out of HS) and tough gritty, competitive position filling atheletes that are very coachable and want to WIN and that includes pitchers. The best college players don't always make great MLB players. The attitude starts with the coach and how these guys are treated and what our culture is, i.e. Did they earn their position? Do they execute the right way? What is the consequence of poor execution? Accountable or blamers? How does HC build confidence or tear it down?

Leggett gets good talent but my problem with him is they never ever over achieve and rarely fulfill their potential as a team. He puts plenty into MLB but whatever his leadership style is the team plays with a lack of confidence and scared to lose. The other night with two outs in the last inning and 2 on base our player TOOK 3 STRAIGHT STRIKES to end game??? How is that possible? Contrast that against the USC player with 2 outs and RISP yesterday - that is the difference.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic