Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Little Confused
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,744

A Little Confused

Jul 23, 2012, 2:50 AM

I want to clarify before I begin by saying that I am in no way defending what happened at PSU, just don't understand the NCAA involvement.

The NCAA will declare its punishment of PSU for crimes which did not give them any advantage on the field, supply kids with money, nor did they pass athletes in courses which were not attended. The rumored punishments will be given with no "trial" by committee, nor will PSU be given an opportunity to voice its concerns prior to the sentencing.

Let me get this straight; a body formed to ensure that the participants don't gain an advantage by cheating has recently handed down pointless "penalties" to USC, UNC, and OSU for breaking the rules that directly applied to athletes and the respective schools athletic department in the handling of these athletes. Yet a school which gained no advantage is about to get what amounts to greater punishment than the "death penalty"?

This should have been left to the courts, and I hope that all these schools which gave the ncaa the power to handle it in this manner are prepared for the future. Regardless of what happens now, Pandora's box is open.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The gray area in your argument is that coaches ...

Jul 23, 2012, 3:02 AM

... that should have gotten in trouble for what they did were allowed to continue coaching.

So in that sense it is just the same as playing an ineligible player. A coach can't become academically ineligible, obviously, or made ineligible for taking gifts, etc., but it can later be proven they should have been behind bars (or, at least, fired) instead of coaching.

So it could be argued that they had the advantage of keeping coaches that should no longer been university employees.

I agree that some schools have gotten rather light sentences and anything we say tonight regarding PSU's NCAA sentence is speculation, but I don't know that I can agree with you that PSU did not gain an advantage on the field by hiding this problem for so many years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The gray area in your argument is that coaches ...

Jul 23, 2012, 3:15 AM

speculative advantage at best. You can argue how much it would have hurt recruiting, injured coaching prestige, or hurt the school's image forever without being able to determine that. I am saying simply that it was not a direct advantage as is the case with violations the other schools mentioned received what can barely be classified as "a slap on the wrist".

You cannot condemn a man (or in this case an institution) based on speculation of possible offenses. The grey area will always be there, but that isn't my concern here. My concern is that PSU is being punished without any type of trial or consideration for matters that are not wholly under the ncaa control. Now the ncaa has been given this power and nothing will be the same again. Get read to receive punishments for any and all athletes who get arrested. (No, this isn't the same as what went on at PSU but it is where things are headed now) Keep in mind that in the past the ncaa always stated that arrests were outside of their jurisdiction. Not anymore

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA is handling it like the Ath dept/coaches swept

Jul 23, 2012, 3:23 AM

illegal actions under the rug and ABUSED their position of power.

Everyone talking about the NCAA NOT having a rightful position at the table - are not even including the Title IX / Clery act stuff which has been talked about in articles.

They are using POLICE/FBI research and investigations instead of waiting on the NCAA results.

I am pretty sure it will send a message to Ath departments and COACHES. QUIT ####### ABUSING your positins of power.

It is about time that coaches making $Millions of dollars and AD's, and ADMIN and BOT people start doing the right thing and not think they are Above the law or can just do what they want and get away with it.

Penn State has a LOT MORE to worry about than what the NCAA is gonna do to them.

null

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LIKE THAT

Jul 23, 2012, 12:48 PM

BOOM!!!!

null

Re: A Little Confused

Jul 23, 2012, 6:28 AM

I agree totally. While behavior by adult leaders is totally revolting, I fail to see any of this falling under NCAA jurisdiction.
Put the offenders under the jail and rape their bank accounts.
Penn St the school and her students did have no guilt in this situation.

Only way I can see it remotely having an NCAA connection is

Jul 23, 2012, 7:20 AM

that if they had reported it back when they knew it, as opposed to sweeping it under the rug, it would have had a negative impact on their program as a whole. Them keeping it quiet gave them the advantage of not having the terrible spectacle that would have ensued (and now has).

Hopefully that will be the basis rather than "it is so bad that we want to punish them too."

Penn State did this to themselves

Jul 23, 2012, 8:17 AM

There is culpability all the way up to the president at Penn State. Whatever they get they deserve and they have nobody to blame but themselves. This may be a reach for the NCAA but I do not at all feel sorry for them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Little Confused

Jul 23, 2012, 8:39 AM

When a coaching staff is allowed by a university to dictate with impunity, it becomes a competitive advantage.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA got it right...IMO....

Jul 23, 2012, 8:46 AM

I say this b/c:
*Joe P. did not have control over his coaching staff
*University officials did not have control over the coaching staff
*The University did not take appropriate actions when information was known about that creep.
*And some of the staff/coaches had to be mandated-and to not say anything due to making it bad public news...is hogwash

I work with children/kids/families that have experienced this type of "torture"....and it ain't right...no matter how you say it, spell it, write it.
I wish PSU would get the death penalty!!

Go Tigers!
Hate the cooties!!

THEY COVERED UP CRIMINAL ACTIVITY FOR THE IMAGE

Jul 23, 2012, 8:56 AM

OF THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM. I'll take that as lack of instutional contral and unfair playing advantage becuase if this came out 10-20 years ago, the program may have been seen differently in the eyes of the public. IMOH, the should get the death penalty.

Of course it did.

Jul 23, 2012, 12:51 PM

By them covering everything up all the way to the top of the program, they avoided a scandle and shake up of coaching staff that would have most certainly cost them recruits, donors, etc...

So yes, by covering everything up they did so to remain "competitive" on the field.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,744
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic