Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RPI and the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,846

RPI and the ACC

May 29, 2012, 7:41 PM

If an RPI system is implemented for qualifying for the playoff it will hurt Clemson to stay in the ACC. RPI is basically 25% your win %, 50% your opponent's win %, and 25% of what their opponents win % was.

So a poor schedule strength can kill.

BCS Computers are not RPI but they do have a high correlation.

The average BCS computer ranking the last 2 years:

ACC: 56.71
SEC: 36.04
Big 12: 33.53
PAC: 46.6
Big Ten: 47.00
Big East: 62.39

Is that of your 9 you have 7 fixed opponents and the following five are worse than the any top4 league average over the past 2 years:
Wake- 84.2
Cuse- 68.2
Maryland- 68.4
GT- 55.6
BC- 66.5

The only two fixed opponents who are even comparable?
FSU- 25.45 (Coming with you to the Big 12)
NC State- 44.40

As far as cross division teams go you rotate 2 spots for 6 schools. VT is the only one not about to get NCAA sanctions that finished in the top 50.
VT- 21.35
UNC- 43.2 but NCAA will kick them back
Miami- 51.9 with NCAA really coming up
Pitt- 51.2
UVA- 71.00
Duke- 98.80

That is an RPI millstone that will not only put Clemson at a disadvantage but any ACC team.

Beyond national title aspirations it also costs money. If there are 10m plus payouts for teams appearing it adds over 1m per school to a league that gets teams in at minimum. The payouts could be far higher than that.

That is a big consideration.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very BIG consideration!!***

May 29, 2012, 9:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RPI and the ACC

May 29, 2012, 9:18 PM

Sounds like a bunch of jibberish to me
Maybe your RPI should be

R(est)I(n)P(eace).

^^Exhibit A of failed attempt at humor.***

May 29, 2012, 9:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RPI is heavily weighted to out of conference games

May 29, 2012, 10:05 PM

By definition, an entire conference will have a .500 record in conference. THerefore, if a team takes care of business out of conference against good teams the RPI takes care of itself.

Re: RPI is heavily weighted to out of conference games

May 29, 2012, 10:16 PM

You are partially right. At least in basketball because there are nearly as many out of conference games as conference games. The problem is, in football, its an entirely different matter. With only 3 (or 4 depending on your conference) out of conference games and at LEAST 3 of them in most cases being home games because everyone wants 7 home games a year, you are playing a lot of cupcakes in the non-conference.

It will be an RPI-like system though I think. It will heavily favor strength of schedule as those three words have been used a lot by Slive, Delany, Scott and Neinas. That means it will be a combination system, similar to the BCS computer models which are pretty accurate.

Thats why I said a "good" out of conference schedule

May 30, 2012, 9:07 AM

Undefeated Auburn got left out of the BCS one year because they played The Citadel and a directional Louisana school.

8 big 12 games or 9 ACC games:

May 30, 2012, 9:30 AM

This puts Clemson in a bind.

South Carolina is a H&H regardless. So 5 home games.

Now do you go with ONLY 6 home games or play a cupcake buy game to get 7?

If Clemson joined the Big 12 that 9th league game would be replaced by games like UGA that Clemson may have to cancel.
http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/03/discussion-underway-to-cancel-clemson-georgia-series/

Our superior league resume (about 20 spots higher in the rankings regardless of whether you take the last 2 or last 4 years) also helps absorb the RPI hit of getting a 7th home game as it effectively replaces being stuck with Wake or Syracuse.

If the ACC is the only one do go to 9 games, its bad

May 30, 2012, 11:16 AM

and will hurt the teams overall in RPI.

And the GA game not only is still on, but they upped the buyout.

Not entirely true

May 30, 2012, 11:10 AM [ in reply to RPI is heavily weighted to out of conference games ]

A large portion is your opponents' records and the records of their opponents other than you. So, for the conference to have a good RPI, you'd need to beat good OOC opponents, and have your in-conference opponents schedule and be successful against good competition as well.

Just out of curiosity...

May 30, 2012, 8:08 AM

what is Clemson's RPI? I imagine it must be decent since you seem to want us to join your conference.

Clemson came in at the following:

May 30, 2012, 9:35 AM

Averaging the BCS computers

2008- 38.4
2009- 34.2
2010- 54.2
2011- 33.2

2010 & 2011 avg- 43.7
Last 3 yrs- 40.53
Last 4- 40.00

I did this by averaging the final ranking in the Sagarin, Anderson, Colley, Massey, and Billingsley polls.

The only inaccuracy in the data is the fact that except for 2011 there is only top 25 data for the 6th and final Wolfe ranking system. I have all of the 2011 data. They don't leave it online so I guess we are SOL on that one.

In any event it is a minor variance as it is 1/6th of any individual year's data and it usually correlates well with the other 5.

Thanks

May 30, 2012, 10:58 AM

I'm kind of a numbers guy myself. Until there is a true playoff, these kind of comparisons are much better than the court of public opinion.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,846
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic