Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2014: What was, and what could have been (Long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

2014: What was, and what could have been (Long)

Dec 4, 2014, 12:30 PM

As the regular season has come to a close, I've been doing some reflecting on 2014 and what a truly bizarre year it was for Clemson.

From the early QB competition in the spring and Kelly's dismissal, to the rout of the chickens, and every injury/sack/touchdown/turnover in between, 2014 will be one to remember, in both good and bad ways.

It has been thrilling to see us win with our D for a change. I loved this group last year, and it's pretty clear that they lived up to the lofty expectations. It's also clear that Venables is the X-factor here, and our talent will continue to thrive under his tenure in years to come.

I'm going to miss seeing #3 and #50 lining up on the line next season, but I don't think I will miss anybody more than Stephone Anthony. The guy is an absolute rock in the middle, and seeing his speed in running down opponents is poetry in motion. He is always in the right position, and always makes the big plays when we need them. He is a humble, determined leader, and represents everything that Clemson linebackers should be. It's a d@mn shame he got that bogus targeting call...having to miss his last home game and half of the bowl game is a crime.

Despite his loss, I think Boulware is ready to takeover without any dropoff...kid is an animal who gets after the football with a mean streak.

On the other side of the ball, we had more ups and downs than I've ever seen before. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say that we had as much of a chance to go undefeated this season as anybody else.

I know Stoudt paid his dues and earned the right to start at UGA, but after Watson's two brilliant throws to Williams and Peake, he never should have come out. I am convinced this cost us the game. I'm also still disappointed in the 4 starters suspended for that game as well....no doubt Peters and Crawford would have made a difference, and Beasley was much needed as well.

From that point on, Watson should have been under center the whole time. I know it only took a quarter or so at FSU, but as we saw, every single play matters.

Speaking of FSU, I still feel sick to my stomach when I see highlights from that game. Let's recap all the things that went against us....

1. Stoudt underthrowing Leggett for TD early
2. Lakip missed FG
3. Lakip missed second FG
4. Seckinger being half a yard short of goal-line on
pass from DW
(immediately followed by)
5. Davidson being in on goal-line, but no review
(Immediately followed by)
6. Snap over DW's head
7. Alexander's lone blunder, falling while Greene scores
8. Davidson fumble
9. 4th and inches in OT

If one, just ONE of these disastrous plays goes our way, we win the game. Sickening, but what's done is done

Watson's injury could have spelled disaster, but it was good to see our D pick up the slack and win some nail-biters. That being said, it's pretty clear that Wake, BC, and Syracuse would have been blowouts with DW, and Louisville might not have come down to the last play.

GT was, simply put, an anomaly. I honestly can't think of a worse loss in recent memory, except maybe NCST in 2011. Keep in mind that, without TWO pick 6's, this game is still within 1 possession. I don't think I need to say more, but I'm still mad that an inferior GEORGIA TECH team will play in the Orange Bowl over us. We beat Tech with Watson 10 times out of 10.

The win over the coots was a long time coming, and I think it will be a long time before they even sniff a W against us again. It was really cool to see all the young guys firing on all cylinders when it mattered most. I will also say that Watson might be the only athlete who can still "fire on all cylinders" with a torn ACL. Incredible.

Sooo......this leaves me to where I am now....reflecting on what was and what could have been. I certainly think this is a top-10 caliber team, and those who have seen us play at our best won't deny that. I know an OB berth is all but a longshot, but I still hope the committee sees we are a different team with Watson playing.

We are better than the Russell Athletic or Citrus bowl, but if that's where we end up, I'd love to kick the snot out of Auburn or a Mississippi team or Mizzou.

All in all, another great season in Tiger Town. Despite some setbacks, the future now looks brighter than ever. I think we will have at least one playoff appearance and a National Championship within the next 5 years.

Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: CU2013®

Message was edited by: CU2013®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All great points. Agree with prett much everything you said

Dec 4, 2014, 1:19 PM

I honestly don't think FSU is going to want any part of us the next 2 to 3 years.

The Coots won't win another one against us this decade.

2016 we make a SERIOUS run at a National Championship. Watson also makes a serious run at the Heisman in 2016.

Dabo has built us into a program boys. One that ain't going anywhere any time soon.

I would also like to add to your points 41 wins over 4 years. That's d@mn impressive. 42 if we win the bowl game. I would love to win the bowl game to take the double digit win season streak to 4.

If in the mid 2000s somebody said to me, "Bowden's not going to be here much longer. In the next 10-15 years you're going to have to take some on the chin to the coots, and it's going to suck worse than anything. But, you're also going to win an ACC Championship, a BCS game, and double digit wins (if we win the bowl game) 4 years in a row and counting. I would taken it and ran with it in a second..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks! I agree with you there

Dec 4, 2014, 1:52 PM

I grew up in Atlanta under Terp parents so I always followed ACC football and Clemson, I never had a soft spot for the tigers until I started looking at colleges. I never experienced the coot hatred until then, so I would trade national relevance at the expense of losing the chickens

The difference between the two is, the national relevance is here to stay....we are at the right end of a "streak" ourselves with the coots and hopefully FSU as well.

The chickens are in the rear-view mirrow...we have bigger things in our sights!

Spot on***

Dec 4, 2014, 1:23 PM

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Yep..thX for the '14 memories & your time compiling it & thoughts!

Dec 4, 2014, 1:36 PM

AND..Congrats TiGER TEAM!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gracias

Dec 4, 2014, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Spot on*** ]

Juan

Nicely done...one item to add about the FSU ClusterF###

Dec 4, 2014, 1:43 PM

9. Alexander tripping on the post pattern to Green for the tying touchdow...#2 left everything on the field....

Link: http://www.news-press.com/story/sports/college/2014/09/21/clemsons-mackensie-alexander-almost-flawless-vs-fsu/16024651/

Reading that made my stomach hurt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, don't know how I managed to forget that

Dec 4, 2014, 1:53 PM

I was at a wedding that weekend, and I was watching with my parents and some relatives at a bar in Pittsburgh

The whole place was into it, notably because we were the only Clemson fans and were going nuts

The play before was a tackle for loss. I was pretty buzzed at this point, and I started to get antsy...I decided to run up to the bar for a shot to calm my nerves.

I took the drink right before the snap, and wasn't even back to our table before the play unfolded. Devastating

but as you mentioned make just 1 or 2 of the other

Dec 4, 2014, 2:06 PM

routine plays and we win...that loss was more devastating than the WV OB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not even close

Dec 4, 2014, 2:26 PM

WV game was devastating in a different way. FSU really hurt

Yep..playing #1 comes once a century & beating them a lifetime!

Dec 4, 2014, 2:44 PM

And we BLEW iT! Maybe my most hurting loss in 57 seasons.

GoTiGERS...keep winnning!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hopefully we'll have another shot***

Dec 4, 2014, 5:20 PM

Excellent post! Thanks.***

Dec 4, 2014, 10:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Thanks for the feedback

Dec 5, 2014, 11:00 AM

point!

Re: 2014: What was, and what could have been (Long)

Dec 5, 2014, 11:40 AM

Just read this. Nice post. Good thoughts.
Seemed to me that three games this year were just plain weird.
The first was Georgia, which was obviously schizophrenic. When they were on, they were as good as anybody. And they were certainly ON in the first game. Still, Watson plus suspended players would have made a big difference. Field position might not have been such an issue.
The second was FSU. You described it well. No way Florida State should have won. I think if we played them today, with a reasonably healthy Watson at quarterback for us and Winston for them, we're at least even.
The third one is where I might have a slightly different take than you. I THINK we would beat Geogia Tech if we played again. At the same time, I think a lot of folks on this board are dismissing how good Tech has gotten.
Tech and Louisville are going to be stout. The ACC is looking pretty solid right now.

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2014, 12:25 PM

I will certainly acknowledge Tech's improvement....they are not the same team that lost to Mid Tn State. Their system can beat just about anybody on any given day, but would normally lost to superior teams 8/10 times.

With Watson, we were about to go up 10-0 early in the 1st quarter. Instead, we take 7 points off our board and hand them to GT...14 point swing. Tech didn't gash our D by any means. In fact, we got the break we needed down 19-6 with the GT fumble around midfield. At that point, a score puts us right back into the game.

Two or so plays later? Another GT pick 6.

With a healthy Watson, our offense is capable of scoring at will on GTs D. Stoudt made them look like All Americans. Bottom line is, Watson is capable of throwing a pick, but not as bad as any of the 3 that Cole threw.

if DW could've beaten UGA, then why didn't he beat FSU?

Dec 5, 2014, 12:14 PM

DW even played 2 more series against UGA and got 3-and-outed both times. Both were in better field position than Cole had - which is no excuse for Cole, per se.

You people think with your heart too much, and just can't wait to blame something on someone.

Fact is, at that point in the season, UGA was better than we were. Especially with them being at home.

Get over it. Man up. Face the facts. Move on. Stop acting like a Coot. Take your pick....

I get it, we were inexperienced and on the road

Dec 5, 2014, 12:31 PM

against a then-superior UGA team. But were they REALLY superior? Cole was much better against UGA than the rest of the season, but he still didn't look good. By the time DW started getting more reps, we were playing down 2 scores late in the game...it was over at that point.

Watson looked so much better early on, and we kept him out until it was too late. That's a fact

I don't see how I'm acting like a coot for pointing out what didn't go our way...

Suspensions (Crawford is a huge factor in run defense and Peters has been better than Mac)
Injuries (Sam Cooper was much needed, considering he is our best blocking TE with TWO OL starters suspended as well)
Questionable Personnel decisions (Watson vs. Stoudt)
Dropped Passes/poor field position

Just the facts...

"questionable personnel decisions" - "just the facts" -

Dec 5, 2014, 5:08 PM

you're living in your own mind....

what you think does't make it "fact".

Anyone who thinks that Dabo Swinney would start a senior QB over a frosh QB starting while the season at UGA, but only because the former had "seniority" is living in a make believe world in his own mind.

They don't pay Swinney to throw big games on National TV.

Please back the arrogance train up a bit, and simply accept, with the personnel we had available to play on that day, UGA was better.

You are missing the point

Dec 5, 2014, 5:48 PM

I never said DW should have started. Heck, I was prepared to redshirt him and ride Cole and Kelly all season. But after a quarter, it was clear who the better QB was. This isn't just my opinion - go back and watch the game. Watson hit all the throws over 10 yards that Cole over/under threw. Watson showed to be much more of a threat running the ball and had the linebackers guessing. If our offense doesn't go 3 and out drive after drive after drive in the late 2nd and 3rd quarter, maybe our defense isn't as gashed come the 4th. Maybe we have more than 21 points on the board at that point as well.

I'm not saying that UGA was a pushover. Maybe they were the better team. They were playing at home, so that was working against us as well. But we had an opportunity to win the game and it just didn't go our way. What's wrong with me saying we had just as good of a shot to win as UGA did?

Furthermore, why do I get the impression that my comments are rubbing you the wrong way? "What you think doesn't make it fact...back the arrogance train up a bit...." What are you talking about? Did I offend you by offering my own perspective? Sheesh, you sound like a butthurt dawg fan with an inferiority complex.

Think whatever you want to think. Watson gave us the best chance to win that game. I'm not saying it was Dabo's fault because I agree that it was a difficult position to be in and you gotta trust your senior QB to win the opener on the road.

That still doesn't change the FACT that DW was just as much the better QB on Aug 30th as he was last Saturday. If you disagree, then maybe you're the one "living in a make believe world in your mind"

Re: 2014: What was, and what could have been (Long)

Dec 5, 2014, 12:17 PM

Awesome post!

You didn't get the memo??

Dec 5, 2014, 12:21 PM

It was Chad's fault. Or Dabo's fault. Or maybe even Barker's fault. If Barker wouldn't have hired that real estate salesman, who hired a high school coach, then we would have won multiple national titles instead of being just one of the top 10 winningest programs since 2011. We should have hired Muschamp or Leach ;):)

welcome back Shane***

Dec 5, 2014, 12:25 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: You didn't get the memo??

Dec 5, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to You didn't get the memo?? ]

Love Dabo. Right man for the job all along

Fire Batson! ;)

What could have been... Without the great coaching job

Dec 5, 2014, 6:12 PM

Keeping a piecemeal O line together, having to prepare with different, hurt QB's, we could have just as easily been 6-6. Our players and coaches over came a bunch of crap this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed...UGA couldn't overcome same adversity last year...

Dec 6, 2014, 7:10 PM

used it as an excuse. I think it's amazing we are 9-3 despite the injuries, and the QB situation. We are an "elite" program in the making...FSU's prominence is good for us because the ACC will get more credibly as the SEC fraud is exposed.

We are catching FSU at the right time

Good post, the good thing about the FSU game

Dec 5, 2014, 6:15 PM

Is that our players will definitely be looking for redemption next year against them. The score to that game should have been 31-10. I'm about to throw up again. I hope next year we can beat the coots and FSU. We got the monkey off our back with the coots, FSU is next

I agree

Dec 5, 2014, 7:16 PM

we will be the more complete team next year, at home too

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic