Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Snoop Doggs 4* WR son has quit football already
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Snoop Doggs 4* WR son has quit football already

Aug 21, 2015, 9:40 AM

The eSECpn reporter basically said he used the athletic offer to get into UCLA for film school. If the kid wasnt qualified like a normal student(as eSECpn made it seem), and he doesn't live up to his football commitment, then he shouldnt be allowed to remain there and take up a spot of a more deserving student. The kid may be over qualified and a straight A student for all I know, but eSECpn made it seem like without football he wouldnt have been at UCLA.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean a student athlete got a benefit? No way. Mark

Aug 21, 2015, 9:44 AM

Mayites say that student athletes get nothing, not even food. They deserve to be paid.

Clearly you misread something.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

You sure he doesn't stay and pay?

Aug 21, 2015, 9:51 AM

His father can certainly pay the tuition out of his petty cash. And the kid is supposedly running his on film company so he might even be able to chip in at some point.

? i 'magine he has to pay if he's not on scholarship...

Aug 21, 2015, 9:55 AM

the money doesn't seem to be the OP's issue, admittance into the university does.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ? i 'magine he has to pay if he's not on scholarship...

Aug 21, 2015, 10:01 AM

Either way, he's Snoop Dogg's son. A donation from Snoop would've sealed the deal anyway.

not saying you're wrong, but ucla does not need the money

Aug 21, 2015, 10:09 AM

and isn't lacking for rich folks to pander to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sure hes no longer on athletic scholarship

Aug 21, 2015, 9:56 AM [ in reply to You sure he doesn't stay and pay? ]

the question is would he have been able to get into UCLA without it.

*Im

Aug 21, 2015, 9:56 AM

ESPN says he never actually reported to camp

Aug 21, 2015, 10:05 AM [ in reply to I sure hes no longer on athletic scholarship ]

which is before school even starts. So my assumption is that he would have been in school anyway if he was allowed to actually enroll.

So he did use a athletic scholarship just to get in with no

Aug 21, 2015, 10:10 AM

intentions of actually playing.... if he discussed that with Coach Mora then good for him. But if he burned them and another kids opportunity, I have no respect for the kid.

I'm not referring to what he did or didn't do to the team

Aug 21, 2015, 10:18 AM

he was a pretty highly rated recruit so I'm sure that they had plans for him and he bailed on that. Thats between him and his coach. I'm just speaking on the assumption that, based on everything else, he probably would have gotten into school anyway.

I could be completely wrong on that. I haven't followed the story or his recruiting all the much. Although I do admit to watching 1 episode of his TV show where he said something like "I can't risk going into my dad's weed room."

Obannan was a straight a student and scored 3000 on SAT

Aug 21, 2015, 10:05 AM [ in reply to I sure hes no longer on athletic scholarship ]

Basketball was a crutch for him

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Hard to get outraged over this example

Aug 21, 2015, 10:55 AM [ in reply to I sure hes no longer on athletic scholarship ]

when I'm sure there are many UCLA alums and donors and people like that who game the system all the time too. Those 20% of applicants who get accepted there are any number gaming the system.

I get your point. For me it is just another of many ways people stretch to get around things. People who study and prep for entrance exams but never get any smarter for it is another example. For hundreds of dollars their parents are able to make their kids' entrance criteria look better even though their in school performance probably won't be any better. But for some it helps get them pushed into that 20%.

Another way to look at it is those who become professional entrance exam takers only had to invest a little bit of time and their parents money. Dogg's son had to be a really good football player for a few years and bust it in order to be good enough to game the system and get his scholly.

I'm with you that it doesn't seem fair. It is just one of many ways the world ain't perfect and it doesn't get me any more excited that a lot of the other things that go on with admissions.

Didn't we just have a LB possibly do the same thing ?

He stayed in school, did he have the juice to get into Clemson without football ? Not starting an argument, just asking a question, when an athlete quits FB(or any sport) and decides to stay in school, is he already there ,or does he then have to meet the criteria all the other students had to meet to get in?

Nope, he gave the University a year

Aug 21, 2015, 10:05 AM

This kid was a incoming freshman that what, practiced for about a month? If that.

Is that different from starting as a General Business major

and the changing to Architecture after your freshman year?

But I give the kid some credit. He could have easily dropped out of school and cruised in the entertainment world as and gotten in at any major production company as Snoop Dogg Jr. But he's going to pay his dues and actually learn the craft. Sports aren't a passion for everyone and he just figured out his. Kids quit sports all the time and stay in school. No biggie.

good luck with that.***

Aug 21, 2015, 10:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

It happens all the time

Aug 21, 2015, 10:12 AM

where folks are admitted as undeclared or an "easier" major that is less competitive and then change into the major they really want. Maybe Architecture at Clemson isn't the best example as it is severely restricted by numbers, but it happens quite frequently at every school.

UCLA film school is difficult to get in..It's like

Aug 21, 2015, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Is that different from starting as a General Business major ]

Harvard Law or Duke Med.

It was actually kinda' clever of him to use the system this way. He didn't need the scholarship money but he did need to pass admissions.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Youre missing the point. Poor kid from Compton

Aug 21, 2015, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Is that different from starting as a General Business major ]

with a lackluster education but amazing football skills vs. a kid born with a silver spoon and can afford any college in America. One relies on a football scholarship to go to school and the other doesn't. Yet the rich kid gets the scholarship with no intention of playing, just bc he wanted that school and wouldn't have qualified otherwise. Now the poor kid doesn't get the opportunity he needs bc richy rich hustled the school.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game***

Aug 21, 2015, 10:23 AM

Moneys got nothing to do with it

Aug 21, 2015, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Youre missing the point. Poor kid from Compton ]

football skills and intention do. Did both want to be in the same major? Did both have the same skill level? If he intended to do this all along, then he is incredibly smart and a conniving SOB. But not many kids are smart enough to play that long con...and his dad sure isn't. Quick google search says he committed on NSD between UCLA and USC. If thats true I'm doubting that if he was playing UCLA he would have waited until the very last minute.

The better question is, did he take a spot away in film school than a general student with better grades. We have no way of knowing that.

Thats what im saying, not only did he waste an athletic

Aug 21, 2015, 10:33 AM

opportunity for someone else, but if he is now taking up a spot of a more deserving student... he should be withdrawn from school if he does not meet the standards.

I don't have a problem with that

Aug 21, 2015, 10:43 AM

but you're making the assumption that he wouldn't have qualified as a general student. If this was a huge play to get a backdoor into a competitive film school, then he's probably smart enough to get in.

I'm going on the assumption that since UCLA let him continue into film school that he would have gotten in anyway.

Re: Snoop Doggs 4* WR son has quit football already

Aug 21, 2015, 10:14 AM

Snoop Do-double G.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic