Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
$375k. What the..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 577

$375k. What the..

Nov 5, 2018, 10:41 AM

Srsly?

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/sc/mount-pleasant/1242-white-flat-rd/pid_27589798/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basically looks like a mobile home for $375k.***

Nov 5, 2018, 10:44 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A mobile home with half cut out for a porch

Nov 5, 2018, 10:46 AM

For $375k.

In Lexington that gets you two stories, about 3500 sq ft

Nov 5, 2018, 10:52 AM

all brick, and a 1/3 acre lot. With a Jacuzzi tub, hardwood floors, and a 3 car garage.

Side note - Homes have increased a LOT this year in Lexington. +20% on most of the houses in my neighborhood. Bought my house at $89/sq ft. Got lots of them at that price in 2012. Now houses sell around $120-130 sq ft.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but its in ........LEXINGTON!

Nov 5, 2018, 10:55 AM

so yeah....no thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See my edit.

Nov 5, 2018, 11:00 AM

Lexington is a very interesting place. The demographics/socioeconomics from downtown Columbia, to Cayce/West Columbia, to the Town of Lexington and then everything west and south of Lexington is amazing. Basically you go from urban ghetto, to good old boys, to yuppies, to the reddest of the rednecks. And that's your drive from Gervais Street, through Cayce on Highway 1, to Downtown Lexington, and take a left ton 378.

I'm in the sweet spot between West Columbia/Cayce and downtown Lexington.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did my time in Columbia.

Nov 5, 2018, 11:03 AM

I "lived" (if you want to cal it that) in an apt off of Greystone for a while, then later off of Polo rd. Worked downtown across from the capital and then out on Farrow and later Alpine rd.

I'm never going back, intentionally. I say never..I'd have to be destitute to go.

Well, I'd say the same for Atlanta.

Nov 5, 2018, 11:21 AM

If you have money, you can live in a nice place just about anywhere. It would take millions for me to live in Atlanta.

But the areas you lived and worked were less than stellar. I can tell you exactly where it's tolerable to live in Columbia. Lake Katherine area, Gregg Park, King's Grant, in the Hamptons behind the VA hospital, Wildewood, Forest Acres. Forest Hills is probably the nicest neighborhood close to downtown. Shandon is also pretty good. Basically anywhere with 300K or above homes.

Basically the rest of Columbia is either meh, or horrible. And the schools are atrocious. They zone the schools so nicer areas are purposefully broken up with other areas. Forest Acres (AC Flora/Dreher) are probably the best in the area (until you get to Lexington). Lexington County also has the lowest unemployment in the state. Rush hour starts here at 6AM. HEAVY traffic by 6:30. By 8am it's OVER. Rest of Columbia rush hour is way later.

The plus side is in a place like Columbia, it's easier to rise to the top. Likewise, the cost of living (taxes too) are less. It works, if you can work it.

Everytime I drive through Columbia I get stuck in traffic

Nov 5, 2018, 11:27 AM

It took me 5 hours to get to Clemson 2 weeks ago, and even longer going home.

Tomorrow, I'm going to Clemson for a few days and will be going through Cola around 6-7 PM.

I can't wait.

Charleston is worse. If it makes you feel better

Nov 5, 2018, 11:41 AM

Next year they're going to start a $1.8 billion project to "fix" malfunction junction. What would also really help is to have a bypass off of I-20, maybe around the north main street exit, that goes north of I-20, crosses the Broad River, crosses I26 around Piney Grove Road, continues towards Lexington and goes NORTH of Lexington, and then back down to I-20 around Highway 6. That way Lexington gets a bypass, and malfunction junction gets a bypass. As it stands, if there's a wreck on I20, there is NO OTHER WAY to cross the Broad River. So you sit there, or drive into downtown Columbia and out on I26.

I dunno; the volume of people who are affected by a wreck

Nov 5, 2018, 11:44 AM

on either side of I-26 is a lot higher than if either bridge gets backed up.

"on either side of i-26 In Columbia"

Nov 5, 2018, 11:50 AM

meant to say^^

Beautifuly stated.

Nov 5, 2018, 11:08 AM [ in reply to See my edit. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I spend a ton of time in Cayce/West Columbia

Nov 5, 2018, 11:59 AM [ in reply to See my edit. ]

and the minute you cross the river, you go from Obed-like hipsters, to good ole boys, rednecks and then plain white trash very fast.

Lexington folk are weird tho

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm in a neighborhood of Yankees.

Nov 5, 2018, 12:39 PM

70%+ are not from SC. I keed you knot. MANY work from home.

One guy, I'll never forget, was a retired union steel worker from Pittsburgh, and his wife. Guy was maybe in his early to mid 50's. Didn't work. Got a pension. Bought one of the nicest houses in this neighborhood. Wife didn't work. He just cashed pension checks. Anyway, he was amazed how he could live like a king (in Lexington) while not even working when, for years, he worked his tail off in Pittsburgh and lived in squalor.

Here's the gig, if you can get it. Get a telecommuting job. Work from home in SC for a company based in NY/NJ/wherever the cost of living is high. They will pay you more than others who live in SC even if they pay you less than most of their in-office people. You can leverage a good 10-20% more salary this way. Or just be a retired union worker from up north, work 20-30 years living in squalor, then retire to SC and cash those fat pension checks.

Side note - Steel worker was caught cheating on his wife with a neighbor and he and the paramour both got divorces and sold their respective homes. Yankees. lol

In Clemson it will buy about the same

Nov 5, 2018, 10:59 AM [ in reply to In Lexington that gets you two stories, about 3500 sq ft ]

but with higher taxes...unless its in Patrick Square, and now that might buy one of the condos (that was $200k exactly 3 years ago this month).

Not sure about the taxes. Lexington's the worst in the

Nov 5, 2018, 11:05 AM

state, or close to, I've heard. Twice Richland roughly on car taxes. Wife's new car was $1.3K. House is over twice that, WITH homestead. Buy a lake house (not for primary living) on Lake Murray and you'll pay $3k a year on a 600 square foot lakehouse on tiny waterfront lot. My parents literally thought about shipping me up there when I was a senior in high school for the tax break. For the record I was ALL FOR that. They realized the eventual property damage parties, DUI's, and bailing me out of jail and paying lawyers would cost more than the savings.

Clemson city taxes are high, for the size of the city.

Nov 5, 2018, 11:23 AM

Property taxes there are about the same they are in Mt Pleasant.

Re: Not sure about the taxes. Lexington's the worst in the

Nov 5, 2018, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Not sure about the taxes. Lexington's the worst in the ]

Believe you have it backwards on car taxes re: richland vs lexington
Richland has always been about twice as high as Lexington on car taxes. I’ve lived many years in both counties.

Me too. Haven't paid Richland taxes in 6 years though.

Nov 5, 2018, 12:43 PM

But a brand new Youkon XL in 2008 was $600 in Richland. Would be close to $2 grand today in Lexington. Taxes almost doubled on our cars when we moved.

Living in a shotgun shack, and you may find youself

Nov 5, 2018, 10:56 AM

Living in another part of the world, and you may find youself behind the wheel of a large automobile...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TGofoH9RDEA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Used to live on Indian St. between Center St. and McCants.

Nov 5, 2018, 10:59 AM

What’s that area like now? Bunch of tear downs?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some, not all.

Nov 5, 2018, 11:01 AM

A lot of them are still original. Expensive AF now though. Probably averaging in the mid 600's. Anything over there that has been rehabbed and made "new" is in the $800-1.2MM range.

Yea, Realtors called that street part of the

Nov 5, 2018, 11:14 AM

Old Village but nothing like it in reality.

They still do.

Nov 5, 2018, 11:25 AM

Basically, they've grown to calling anything on that side of Coleman the "old village" from Shem Creek to the Ben Sawyer bridge.

Prices in North Charleston/Summerville crazy too

Nov 5, 2018, 11:31 AM

My first home I bought was off Dorchester rd, was a big speck home type neighborhood. 1400 square foot, built to fall apart. Bought it for 132k sold it 3 years later for 175k, and looked the other day, it’s back on the market for 229k. Stupid

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I talked to an old friend last night

Nov 5, 2018, 11:43 AM

He bought on IOP in '98 for $375K. After seeing the aftermath of the hurricane in Florida, he's selling in the spring while the market is good.

He said he's going to move to Seneca on Keowee. Zillow says his house is worth a little north of $1mm, and that seems about right looking at asking prices of other houses near his. He'll live like a king in Seneca for ~$1MM.

Worst part of all this is how rich the likes of Jeff Cook

Nov 5, 2018, 11:51 AM

are getting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He seems like the lowcountry version of Tom Wynkoop

Nov 5, 2018, 12:01 PM

I think he's lost some weight though

Then:

https://goo.gl/images/C2qvLB

Now:

https://goo.gl/images/W53ykg

That sure is one punchalbe face.

Nov 5, 2018, 12:09 PM

Maybe he's good at what he does. But he has little to do with with prices going up and just gets to cash in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who is jeff cook?***

Nov 5, 2018, 12:15 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

A fat realtor in CHS***

Nov 5, 2018, 12:15 PM

He has invaded Greenville too.***

Nov 5, 2018, 12:20 PM

Replies: 32
| visibility 577
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic