Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
April recruiting update- News and Notes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

April recruiting update- News and Notes

Apr 22, 2016, 3:30 PM

First thing is first- send your thoughts and prayers out to David and Nikki Hood today. They're both ok but nonetheless they could use some prayers today.

Wide receiver OrTre Smith won the Rivals Charlotte Series WR MVP and will advance to the 5-star challenge for the second straight year. Safety target Devon Hunter also received a 5-star challenge invite and looked very sharp at his position. Hunter often lines up on offense for his school but playing defense appears natural to him as he broke up several passes and intercepted another. I was thoroughly impressed.

In an interview with Scout.com, Clemson WR commit Amari Rodgers (5-10 195) said he's completely done with recruiting and he's All In with Clemson. He was recently named 'Alpha Dog' as the top performer at the Atlanta Opening.

Florida and Clemson both lead for Tampa defensive end Zach Carter (6-4 250), who holds over 35 offers. He attended Clemson's annual spring game and later stated, "It's something about that orange paw..." on his Twitter account. Last Saturday was his third visit to Clemson.

Defensive end target Malik Herring released a favorites list in no order of Clemson, USC (the real one), UGA, Tenn, Bama and Michigan. He was on campus Saturday for the spring game and noted the family feeling at Clemson.

Tiger QB commit Chase Brice was named MVP of his position at the Atlanta Opening and received an invite the the Elite 11 QB competition this summer. This event features some of the best talent nationwide as they compete for the overall top QB MVP.

During an interview with Rivals.com, OL Andrew Thomas mentioned that his top two are Clemson and Georgia. Thomas is rated as the #10 tackle nationally according to Rivals.

Defensive back target Deon Jones (6-1 180) of Washington, DC attended Clemson's Junior Day in late January but also stopped by Maryland three times in the month of February. It would appear that the two schools will battle this recruitment out until Signing Day.
UPDATE- Penn State, UNC and Auburn are still vying for his services.

The nations top QB in the 2018 class, Trevor Lawrence, released a favorites list which included Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, Bama, Michigan and Oklahoma.

Line backer target Justin Foster (6-3 250) was among those visiting Clemson last Saturday. Other schools he has recently visited include Bama, UNC and Tennessee. Foster has been to Clemson numerous times and has a sister enrolled here.

Defensive tackle Eric Crosby (6-1 285) of Virginia Beach has a final two of Tennessee and Virginia Tech, per his Twitter account. Crosby, ranked as my #11 DT, will announce on the 23rd.
UPDATE- Crosby has given a verbal to Tennessee.

Clemson DL target Breyon Gaddy and 2018 LB recruit Dax Hollifield attended North Carolina's spring game. Gaddy's twin, Brandon, recently received and offer from Clemson too.

2018 LB Jake Venables also attended UNC's spring game.

Another DE target, Chase Young (6-5 220), of Hyattsville, MD released a Top 15 which included Clemson. Rated as the #2 DE in his class by 247, Young has visited Ohio State once and Maryland twice this year. Alabama has a strong pipeline connection to his school, DeMatha Catholic. Young received an invite to Nike's 'The Opening' on Sunday.

Defensive back target William Poole (5-11 180) of Atlanta has been really big on Georgia but a recent trip to Florida was enough for the prospect to say the two are "50/50."
UPDATE- Poole committed to UGA last Saturday.

Linebacker prospect Jordan Anthony (6-0 220) of IMG Academy recently visited Michigan and had plenty to say about the Wolverines. Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State and Penn State are others to watch for his services.

Elite WR target Nico Collins (6-5 195) of Collinsville, AL released a top 6 in no order of Clemson, UGA, Bama, FSU, Michigan and Ole Miss- according to AL.com. Clemson has also made a big impression on Collins. "It just seems like a pretty cool place to go. They have great receivers that come out there. There's just something about Clemson."

Defensive tackle recruit Cam Spence (6-5 285) of IMG Academy has committed to Maryland.

IMG center Cesar Ruiz is rated as the nations prospect at his position and released his top 12 in order. Michigan was first while Clemson is 7th.

Two in-state prospects, DB Tank Robinson and WR Shi Smith, visited Alabama this month. Smith has called south carolina his leader.

Defensive end Cortez Alston (6-3 250) of Atlanta mentioned that he tries to model his game after Shaq Lawson and that he's currently seeking an offer from Clemson. Alston is rated as the 37th best DE according to 247sports.

Jakeem Grant runs a 4.12 40 time?!....
http://thebiglead.com/2016/03/16/video-jakeem-grant-40-yard-dash-time-appears-confirmed-at-4-12-seconds/

Pennies for my thoughts-
One player that I've been thoroughly impressed by is WR Jerry Jeudy. During the Miami RCS event he displayed elite speed and a natural ability to separate. If there's a more fluid route runner in this class I'd be surprised. He belongs in the Top 5 of 2017 WR's conversation.

Another who lived up to his billing is 2018 CB Asante Samuel who showed press coverage on a receiver and drove him more than 5 yards behind the line. WR Trevon Grimes appears a tad sluggish to me and his ability to separate was very absent- he is not as high on my board as opposed to others. Nonetheless one bad outing isn't enough for me to bump him outside my Top 30.

BUCKLE UP FOLKS!!!
High school juggernaut programs Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) and St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale) will tangle on September 30th in Nevada on ESPN. Bishop Gorman has stars such as QB Tate Martell (Texas A&M ), DB Bubba Bolden (USC) and DT Haskell Garrett (Ohio State). Aquinas features 4* prospects QB Jake Allen (Florida), RB Jordan Merrell (Cincy) and uncommitted WR Trevon Grimes.

HOW COOL IS THIS!
Six high school teams will open their season in Ireland this year. The American Football Showcase event will take place on Labor Day weekend. Here is a list of the teams participating:
Westminster (Atlanta) vs. Community School of Naples (Fla.)
Marist (Atlanta) vs. Belen Jesuit (Miami)
St. Peter's Prep (Jersey City, N.J.) vs. Blessed Trinity (Roswell, Ga.)

Too much emphasis on offers from Alabama

We've seen this far to often- a kid gets an offer from Alabama and miraculously they are vaulted in the rankings. This happened earlier this year as DE LaBryan Ray went from being outside 247's Top 500 to a Top 100 recruit and high four-star player. Now it has happened to JUCO LB Gary Johnson as he went from being just a three-star prospect to the top overall LB and #1 overall recruit on 247's JUCO rankings.

In ACC news....

Virginia has received a boost on its offensive line with the addition of former four-star recruit Jared Cohen. Originally a 2013 UNC signee, Cohen started two games as a freshman for the Tar Heels and saw action in 13 others. However, he didn’t show up for training camp in 2014 and sat out last season entirely. In late October, he was granted a release from his scholarship.

FSU received a verbal from 4* QB Bailey Hockman (6-2 190) of Powder Springs, GA.

The Seminoles lost a commitment from LB VanDarius Cowan (6-4 215) who flipped to Alabama.

North Carolina received a verbal from 4* RB Adarius Lemons but the recruit was on Auburn's campus just 48 hours later as he is still shopping around. Lemons is #181 on my big board.

3* OL Zach Dykstra (6-6 290) of Spirit Lake, IA has pledged to Miami recently.

Virginia Tech has received a verbal from LB Rayshard Ashby (6-0 215) who racked up 141 tackles, 19 TFLs and 14.5 sacks last season. He's rated the #42 LB by 247sports.

The Hokies also received a verbal from QB Hendon Hooker (6-4 190) of Greensboro, NC. Last year Hooker passed for 2,234 yards with 17 TDs and rushed 122 times for 1,217 yards and 15 TDs. He's rated the #8 dual-threat QB by 247sports.

Duke has received a verbal from 3* LB Ellis Brooks (6-2 230) according to ESPN.com.

The Blue Devils have also received a verbal from 3* TE Jake Marwelde (6-5 238) of Wilmette, Illinois. Marwede is rated as the No. 21 TE in his class according to 247 composite rankings.

RB Trey Sermon of Georgia recently showed up at the Atlanta Opening wearing all Ohio State gear and has plenty of interest in the Buckeyes. He's also expressed interest in Oregon, Geogia, Florida and visited Alabama on March 26th. Sermon is likely to commit in September.

4* LB Tadarian Moultry gave Scout.com a Top 4 of Auburn, Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi. Somebody tell Phil Kornblutt to quit writing articles about how Moultry is big on south carolina. Moultry is the 248th overall prospect on my board.

5 star LB Dylan Moses says Texas is now his leader, according to AL.com. He cited his bond with coach Charlie Strong as the reason that the Longhorns vaulted Bama.

One of the nations top receivers has recently announced his spring travel plans, according to AL.com. 5* recruit Donovan Peoples-Jones is the No. 5 overall prospect and top receiver in the 247Sports composite will see Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State and Florida in order.

IMG tight end Tre McKitty (6-3 235) says the schools he hears most from are Florida, Auburn, LSU, UNC and Tennessee but a recent offer from Oregon excites him most. He'll take all five visits and then make a decision in accordance to his father's advice.

Nebraska has received a verbal from QB Tristan Gebbia (6-3 180) of Calabasas, CA. His teammate, Keyshawn Johnson Jr, has also given the Huskers a pledge.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: April recruiting update- News and Notes

Apr 22, 2016, 3:58 PM

Thanks for the great update, lots of information. Where is OrTre Smith leaning now?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regarding OrTre Smith...

Apr 22, 2016, 4:13 PM

This one is a in-state battle at the moment and it's been trending towards South Carolina. He's been on their campus quite a bit lately and they're after him hard. The 247 crystal ball prediction is currently 50/50 between us and them. In his latest interview he mentioned that he talks to Clemson about every day though. During the said interview, his mother was standing beside him in a Clemson hat- as you may recall she's a CU Alum.

Here's a recent article by Rivals where they speculate a prediction for him;

"Recruiting wrap: Smith is still one of the most undervalued prospects in the region, as North Carolina and Wake Forest have been the only programs to challenge Clemson and South Carolina so far. Georgia remains on the periphery, but like most top prospects from South Carolina, it will likely come down to the Tigers and the Gamecocks.

Prediction: South Carolina" by Adam Friedman and Woody Wommack

https://n.rivals.com/news/where-will-they-go-predictions-on-prospects-from-rcs-charlotte

Re: Regarding OrTre Smith...

Apr 22, 2016, 7:18 PM

I never understood why we so late in offering him. Makes me shake my head. Everyone knew he was elite and he loved Clemson but we were about a year late in offering him.

Well if he's interested in playing time he can waltz right

Apr 23, 2016, 8:46 AM

out onto the field at SC. He would have a lot of very talented WRs to compete with at CU. That can be a good thing, or it can leave one buried on the depth chart.

Gaddy Brothers

Apr 22, 2016, 4:12 PM

how do we look? I think both will be outstanding. Breyon more than Brandon, but Brandon will I think bulk up even more and maybe play DT right beside his brother. If not he will be a stud as a blocking TE

Gaddy Brothers

Apr 22, 2016, 4:27 PM

I'd say we're in pretty good position with these guys. They were on campus for the Notre Dame game last fall so that sets the bar pretty high- or so one would think. “It was really crazy. I really liked it so much. I really liked the game and all that,” Brandon said of Clemson. Coach Venables has been by to see them a few times since that game as well.

I know they've been to Tennessee and Virginia Tech recently so I'd put those two schools in it for him as well. He'll be back in Blacksburg this weekend too. UNC has also made a push lately. Florida State has been on him for a while now as he's mentioned that they've shown him the most attention.

Re: Gaddy Brothers

Apr 22, 2016, 4:52 PM

Being reported today by another Clemson recruiting site(TI) That Brandon Gaddy's claim that we just offered is untrue, we haven't, and that it's been a very long time since anyone on our staff has even had any sort of contact with him.

Dang really dont wanna miss on Ortre

Apr 22, 2016, 4:32 PM

Even if it means oversigning him as a Wr/TE

Apr 22, 2016, 6:23 PM

great info bry

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2016, 6:36 PM

Jamyest Williams? How much has Georgia closed the gap on us? We led for a long time but it seems he is leaning more towards UGA at this time. Thoughts?

Jamyest Williams

Apr 22, 2016, 7:20 PM

Pretty wide open for him as we are no longer the clear leader. UGA is in good position with us as is FSU. These three are probably his Top 3 but others are still in it too.

Apr 22, 2016, 7:05 PM

Thanks very much for taking the time to post the News & Notes. Your information is very much appreciated...Thanks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

Apr 22, 2016, 9:04 PM

As usual, great product. Thanks @TigerBry83!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Apr 22, 2016, 9:41 PM

Thanks Bry! Wish we could get them all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good stuff... thanks for consolidating into an easy read***

Apr 22, 2016, 10:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Apr 23, 2016, 8:31 AM

What happened to David and Nikki ? I've been out of the loop recently.

Apr 23, 2016, 10:03 AM

They got married to each other;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic