Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
'59-64 Clemson Lineman CLARK GASTON to be buried today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

'59-64 Clemson Lineman CLARK GASTON to be buried today

Mar 17, 2014, 7:43 PM

CLARK GASTON, a tough & smart Clemson OLineman under Coach Frank Howard..later Attorney & award-winning ACC Football Ref died in Greenville SC on Sat March 15th after a very lengthy illness and will be buried in Greenville on Wednesday March 19. He was 72.

At Greenville High he was both a football lineman & state shot-put & discus champion where he graduated in 1959..after which Coach Frank Howard offered him a schollie at Clemson.

Clark graduated from USC Law in 1972, practiced Law in Greenville with the firm of Gaston & Allison for many years But his love was always for Clemson, supporting IPTAY, being a season ticket holder for football, baseball & basketball.

With this desire for football he began his officiating career in 1965 by refereeing both high school and small college games. From that he was honored to be selected to officiate the 1970 Shrine Bowl, where he had also been a player.

Then, Clark became an official for the ACC in 1971 and served in that capacity for 32 years. He officiated in 300 Division I games including many bowl games (4 Alonzo Stagg Bowl games which was the NC game during that era; 1976 All American Bowl; 1984 & 1988 Gator Bowls; 1990 & 1992 Liberty Bowls; the 1991 Tokyo Bowl & the 1992 Cotton Bowl and others not mentioned)..which won him a place in the SC HOF in 1999.

He also was the FIRST Clemson Alumnus to officiate in a Clemson football game due to his honesty & integrity..which earned him the 1992 Joe E. Long Service to Officiating Award.

Clark was a religious & family man (married 48 years with two daughters), belonged to various civic organizations, member of the Greenville Touchdown Club and served on the Salvation Army Board.

Condolences can be made to Clark's Family at either www.thomasmcafee.com OR to Caringbridge.org.

* In closing I would like to say that Clark was the very first classmate at Greenville High that I met in my new homeroom class when I had just days earlier moved there from Charlotte's Myers Park High in mid-semester of 1958..and I was scared to death since I entered the classroom 15 minutes late and the teacher blandly instructed me to sit in the back.

And there on the last row was Clark Gaston..me weighing 125 wet..and him being the largest student I'd ever met until 25 years later there was William The Fridge Perry! He smiled and asked me my name..and proceeded to tell me the class would be going down soon to the auditorium to vote for beauty queens for the school annual..and I should (or was it "better") vote for a certain contestant..which I DID! Turned out that she was his GF (Girl Friend)..but she was the prettiest IMO and won a spot in the annual on an entire page by herself..picked by Paul Newman himself.

RIP "Gentle Giant"..and thank you Clark for representing yourself so well as a loyal Clemson GentleMan for 55 years!

And lastly, WE honor you SIR with a crisp old-time Clemson Military Salute today..while sending you off with a sound you must have enjoyed many times..from the playing field to the campus to the stands.

CLEM in Cadence Count..1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 C-L-E-M-S-O-N T-I-G-E-Rrrr-S Fight Tigers, Fight Dam-mit, FIGHT-FIGHT!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a nice write-up! thanks Lightbubble!***

Mar 17, 2014, 7:52 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for that***

Mar 17, 2014, 8:15 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A fine tribute, Bill, to a great Tiger.***

Mar 17, 2014, 8:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was indeed a good one. GHS & CU....hard to beat!***

Mar 17, 2014, 9:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OBiT for Clemson's CLARK GASTON...Olineman 1959-64.

Mar 17, 2014, 9:21 PM

Really nice tribute. Thank you for sharing.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RIP Clark Gaston, and Go Tiger!!!

Mar 17, 2014, 9:42 PM

HB

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Deceased CLEMSON Olineman from 1959-64 was ACC Ref for 32 yrs.

Mar 18, 2014, 10:40 AM

Very nicely put lbbill! I'm probably one of the few guys on this board who old enough to remember his playing career, I was at Clemson during the early to mid 1960s.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

Good job, Bill! And you just gained a new fan when you ended

Mar 18, 2014, 12:30 PM

the Cadence count with 2 FIGHTS, not 3!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pushing this uP since I've sent Clark's Family a copy AND I

Mar 18, 2014, 2:43 PM

hope & known they and all my Greenville High Classmates of Class 1959 that have received a copy of it too would appreciate your reading about a fine Clemson Man who just happened to play some good football at Tigertown..and then went on to be successful in Law & ACC Refereeing Circles.

Thank YOU ALL...and NO POINTS PLEASE!

Thanks Clark..and GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for this Bill. God rest his soul and bless his family

Mar 19, 2014, 12:23 AM

Go TIGERS!!

Pushing it uP again Tnetters since Clark deserves it. NO PTS

Mar 19, 2014, 1:00 PM

Thanks Clark for an outstanding career..on & off the Field.

GoTiGeRS!

Re: '59-64 Clemson Lineman CLARK GASTON to be buried today

Mar 20, 2014, 3:16 PM

I did not play with Clark but he officiated some of my football games I coached at Wren. I played for Coach Howard in 66-69. He was a nice guy and a very good official. We would always talk Tiger football before the games. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. Rest In Peace Clark.

Jack King Clemson 1970

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic